Author Topic: Do you guys use an isolation transformer for your lab/workbench?  (Read 7423 times)

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
Re: Do you guys use an isolation transformer for your lab/workbench?
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2023, 09:02:31 am »
I wish bigfoot the best for his future; hopefully he gets the right support and can turn things around for himself.

Me too.

Must have been quite a job to delete his posts. I think he had near or over 500 of them. He could have left the ones that did not include bits about his personal situation. He did show willingness to work on his problem and try to earn money. Don't want to feed the ones that don't show this willingness.  :palm:

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2023, 10:00:08 am »
Not sure what drove his decision, but he had certainly disclosed a lot of detail about his challenging personal situation in his posts. In my opinion it was a wise decision to remove them and let that published persona disappear.
Perhaps.  I saw details that closely reminded of myself a decade and a bit ago, when I was really in a bad place, not having started cognitive-behavioural therapy yet.  Very, very close similarities, although my problems stem from my work history and lack of work-life balance.

I have been open about my own history, exactly because a large part of my problems was that I did not know how to speak about them, or even how to seek help.  My problems didn't/coudn't fester, but they certainly ground me down during the years.  Yet, having issues with depression and burnout is really no different than having a broken leg: in most cases, you can heal and become strong enough to not suffer anymore, even if you'll have some lingering effects like a twinge whenever the weather changes.  Some disagree, but they're wrong.

(I agree to removing the personal posts possibly being wise, simply because many people are stupid, and revealing anything about oneself makes one a possible target for stupid people.  I have considered that myself, and decided that the positive effects (of maybe helping someone consider checking if they need help) are much bigger for myself than the risk of being targeted by stupid people.  I already get targeted by stupid people for all sorts of reasons anyway, down to the choice of a mascot, one more isn't a big deal.  So, the best decision will definitely vary from person to person.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 10:01:42 am by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2023, 10:23:13 am »
I have been open about my own history, exactly because a large part of my problems was that I did not know how to speak about them, or even how to seek help.  My problems didn't/coudn't fester, but they certainly ground me down during the years.  Yet, having issues with depression and burnout is really no different than having a broken leg: in most cases, you can heal and become strong enough to not suffer anymore, even if you'll have some lingering effects like a twinge whenever the weather changes.  Some disagree, but they're wrong.

True, one can heal from a depression or a burnout, and I don't see it as a weakness to tell others about it. As written before, I have been there myself. But in my case, and probably in the case of many others, it is due to ones own personality that it happens. And this is one of the most difficult things to change. Your personality.

I had to learn to say "no" to avoid taking on to much work. In itself a lot of work is not a real problem, but when time enters the building it introduces stress. And that is where it went wrong for me.

(I agree to removing the personal posts possibly being wise, simply because many people are stupid, and revealing anything about oneself makes one a possible target for stupid people.  I have considered that myself, and decided that the positive effects (of maybe helping someone consider checking if they need help) are much bigger for myself than the risk of being targeted by stupid people.  I already get targeted by stupid people for all sorts of reasons anyway, down to the choice of a mascot, one more isn't a big deal.  So, the best decision will definitely vary from person to person.)

It is not just stupid people that might target someones weakness. Greed, vengeance, envy, etc. are trades of dumb as well as smart people.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2023, 10:52:26 am »

I regard being open about problems (technical, personal, personality, etc) to be a strength rather than a weakness, for two reasons:
  • acknowledgement is the necessary precondition for improvement
  • the information can smooth future plans and interactions, leading to a better result
Having said that, I won't mention something unless it is relevant to the audience. Sometimes that might be a public forum, sometimes a family member.

I won't mention it to random strangers unless there is a reasonably belief they might help. A few random strangers are malicious, most are uninterested in me (very sensibly!).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2023, 11:34:13 am »
It is not just stupid people that might target someones weakness. Greed, vengeance, envy, etc. are trades of dumb as well as smart people.
Very good point; agreed.  In anger, in the heat of a moment, anyone can stoop that low, without thinking; it is only human.

I won't mention it to random strangers unless there is a reasonably belief they might help. A few random strangers are malicious, most are uninterested in me (very sensibly!).
Very sensible approach, I agree.  I do worry myself if I bring it up too often, because it is not something I consider a defining characteristic at all; more like an anecdote about ones work history, like a tale about a coworker dismissive of personal protective equipment losing a finger and an eye in an unfortunate, but entirely foreseeable, table saw and fluorescent lamp accident.  It is not useful to repeat such anecdotes too often.

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2023, 11:40:15 am »

I regard being open about problems (technical, personal, personality, etc) to be a strength rather than a weakness, for two reasons:
  • acknowledgement is the necessary precondition for improvement
  • the information can smooth future plans and interactions, leading to a better result
Having said that, I won't mention something unless it is relevant to the audience. Sometimes that might be a public forum, sometimes a family member.

Completely agree, and I have no hesitation in joining others wishing bigfoot22 all the best, and hope they can come back to the forum some day, as they made an actual contribution to the place, unlike some.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline giubin

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2023, 10:08:46 am »
I just tried the ADuM4165 (on its eval board) and it's freaking good... the speed and the reliability.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf