Author Topic: Discussing the usage of the TEA thread  (Read 51508 times)

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: Discussing the usage of the TEA thread
« Reply #475 on: September 01, 2022, 03:46:50 pm »

1. TEA thread should be locked and at the top and bottom a link placed to the TEA groups.io group.
2. There should be no TEA subforum.

+1, I have the same opinion.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #476 on: September 01, 2022, 03:58:55 pm »
We screwed it all up by finger-pointing each other to the moderators and what we called the community moved out, blaming the forum for our mistakes, because we do not have maturity to take responsibility for our actions.

TIFIFY

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, Andy Watson

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #477 on: September 01, 2022, 04:00:19 pm »
I think there are still plenty members left that like and use the thread, but if the name TEA means so much to put theft on the table, a simple solution is to rename both the new sub section and the thread to something else.

The members who left can then enjoy their TEA on groups.io and the members who stay can enjoy the "EEVBlog Pub" in the new section.

Because what is in a name, whilst it is just a place to have conversations. Then it also does not need to be only about test equipment anymore. As long as it is mostly electronics related, as that is the nature of the forum in its roots.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #478 on: September 01, 2022, 04:04:23 pm »
I think there are still plenty members left that like and use the thread, but if the name TEA means so much to put theft on the table, a simple solution is to rename both the new sub section and the thread to something else.

The members who left can then enjoy their TEA on groups.io and the members who stay can enjoy the "EEVBlog Pub" in the new section.

Because what is in a name, whilst it is just a place to have conversations. Then it also does not need to be only about test equipment anymore. As long as it is mostly electronics related, as that is the nature of the forum in its roots.

That's kind of pointless.

Just lock the thread and use the rest of the forum as it was.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #479 on: September 01, 2022, 04:11:26 pm »
We screwed it all up by finger-pointing each other to the moderators and what we called the community moved out, blaming the forum for our mistakes, because we do not have maturity to take responsibility for our actions.

TIFIFY

Not helpful, nor even right.

There's no justifiable reason for anybody to feel the need to prove I/we are right and you/them are wrong.

Let it go; return to normality.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #480 on: September 01, 2022, 04:16:45 pm »
Out of respect for what we have contributed here over the space of half a decade, bitseeker should have final authority.

Now for something completely different, I'll chip in my opinion:

1. TEA thread should be locked and at the top and bottom a link placed to the TEA groups.io group.

EEVblog owner, moderators and patrons need to just let it go. You screwed it and the community moved on. As someone else elegantly said, this is trying to squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube. Don't dilute what is left because the majority of major contributors are gone and to retain it in name or concept is pretty much just plain old theft.
For exactly this kind of behaviour I will never join TEA@groups.io: you moved, don't claim ownership on what you left behind.
Edit: I was expected a happier 300th post :--

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #481 on: September 01, 2022, 04:18:27 pm »

TIFIFY

Oh an human sed execution. How slashdot.

Here's a reminder of what happened: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/discussing-the-usage-of-the-tea-thread/msg4378564/#msg4378564

Not only that we are more than just the TEA thread. We help people. We design critique. Some of us are even actual engineers! Some of us make new things for people to use.

TEA regulars from the stats...

:-//
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 04:29:04 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster, AVGresponding, Atomillo

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #482 on: September 01, 2022, 04:26:31 pm »
For exactly this kind of behaviour I will never join TEA@groups.io: you moved, don't claim ownership on what you left behind.
Edit: I was expected a happier 300th post :--

Your loss. It's a thriving community. And I'm not asserting anything, merely stating my own opinion.

My entire point was that bitseeker has sort of been the benevolent dictator and maintainer from day one and we should at least move forward in a civil manor and show some respect for the direction that was stated earlier.

Ending up with two disparate communities with the same name hurts both communities and violated any sense of logic that can be mustered.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #483 on: September 01, 2022, 04:27:00 pm »
This discussion is showing us that there's nothing wrong with TEA. Only with the so called "community". Since the "community" decided to leave, problem solved.

It is the "community" that should let go of the thread. The "community" left, not the EEVBlog.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2022, 04:32:22 pm »
This discussion is showing us that there's nothing wrong with TEA. Only with the so called "community". Since the "community" decided to leave, problem solved.

It is the "community" that should let go of the thread. The "community" left, not the EEVBlog.

Oh come on. These are just ad-hoc statements and straw men.

The community is strong as evidenced by what is going on elsewhere and this discussion has driven way more people to groups.io than it has retained through the rampant inconsistency from the remaining members and the EEVblog team.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #485 on: September 01, 2022, 04:32:56 pm »
Yes very interesting numbers, but what about ratios over time.

As written earlier the number of posts does not say anything about the quality of the posts. Not attacking you, nor other members, just stating this.

And even though you, the group that left, certainly contributed, the ones staying have done so too and will keep on doing it. I know, I'm not a long time member but have given several things to the community already, just check my signature.

Many others also share their knowledge and time here, and new members will hopefully do that too.

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2022, 04:36:13 pm »
Ending up with two disparate communities with the same name hurts both communities and violated any sense of logic that can be mustered.
I've witnessed a few forum splits; ALWAYS who left changed the name; should I call your attitude hypocrisy?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2022, 04:37:58 pm »
Yes very interesting numbers, but what about ratios over time.

As written earlier the number of posts does not say anything about the quality of the posts. Not attacking you, nor other members, just stating this.

And even though you, the group that left, certainly contributed, the ones staying have done so too and will keep on doing it. I know, I'm not a long time member but have given several things to the community already, just check my signature.

Many others also share their knowledge and time here, and new members will hopefully do that too.

Oh 100% agree with you.

I will still contribute here, just not in the capacity of TEA.

Let the community go. That's all I am suggesting. EEVblog is EEVblog. TEA is TEA.

I mean if we got pissed off with Dave and created a groups.io group called EEVblog I bet he'd be annoyed? It would be illogical.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2022, 04:38:25 pm »
My entire point was that bitseeker has sort of been the benevolent dictator and maintainer from day one and we should at least move forward in a civil manor and show some respect for the direction that was stated earlier.

So this whole thing is coup, isn't it? It is an attempt to subvert the EEVBlog and bend the rules of a community of more than 50,000 users to suit the wishes of a few, isn't it?

Holy cow! That's worse than I thought. Let me get the hell outta here.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2022, 04:42:39 pm »

So this whole thing is coup, isn't it? It is an attempt to subvert the EEVBlog and bend the rules of a community of more than 50,000 users to suit the wishes of a few, isn't it?

Bye.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #490 on: September 01, 2022, 04:44:02 pm »

That is good to hear. You did provide joy, even if it was off topic, like about that thieving of scopes :-DD

Edit: Well actually, that was on topic 8)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #491 on: September 01, 2022, 04:47:17 pm »

That is good to hear. You did provide joy, even if it was off topic, like about that thieving of scopes :-DD

Edit: Well actually, that was on topic 8)

Despite rumours to the contrary, most of my posts were on topic ;)  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster, pcprogrammer

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #492 on: September 01, 2022, 05:13:37 pm »
so please give the 2 top people some breathing space and lets be friends at least.

Who would they be? Dave and bitseeker?

Correct.

So perhaps the one that Took One for the Team should give them some space too, no?
Well if you bother to read what he wrote properly, I think you'll find that is what he is doing, Dave has said on groups.io that he will not post anymore on that topic there, but that he'll leave this thread open here if anyone wants to post anything in connection with the 2 sites so therefore that is precisely what Took One for the Team is doing.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #493 on: September 01, 2022, 06:59:00 pm »

I, for one, won't miss someone that makes such stupid statements.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:23:50 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #494 on: September 01, 2022, 07:18:55 pm »

Bye.

Bye from my side too...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #495 on: September 01, 2022, 07:30:57 pm »
The old TEA was like buying a particular tech newspaper. Not all that was written was interesting but hey you just turn the pages and look for something that could interest you.

It was a fantastic way to see what in everyday life was happening to all the TEA gang (smart eng with passion of things that works and fixing stuff).
It will be very difficult it will happen again, we were friends playing in a tech sand box.

To all who reported stuff to the mods in the TEA thread: I was just switching to the next page and not complaining, it was not hard at all.

I personally can't accept the act of censoring posts and the "final warning" attitude that's why I decide to step back from the EEVBlog for a while.

For the rest I can't agree more with bd:

Now for something completely different, I'll chip in my opinion:

EEVblog owner, moderators and patrons need to just let it go. You screwed it and the community moved on. As someone else elegantly said, this is trying to squeeze the toothpaste back into the tube. Don't dilute what is left because the majority of major contributors are gone and to retain it in name or concept is pretty much just plain old theft.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:46:41 pm by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #496 on: September 01, 2022, 08:03:11 pm »
The old TEA was like buying a particular tech newspaper. Not all that was written was interesting but hey you just turn the pages and look for something that could interest you.

To all who reported stuff to the mods in the TEA thread: I was just switching to the next page and not complaining, it was not hard at all.

Well put. Just so.

I personally can't accept the act of censoring posts and the "final warning" attitude that's why I decide to step back from the EEVBlog for a while.

In some ways self censorship is worse than censorship. iSTR glancing at something Vince wrote recently, and being reminded of self censorship.

I hope Zucca won't, to use an English expression, throw the baby out with the bathwater.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #497 on: September 01, 2022, 08:18:36 pm »

I hope Zucca won't, to use an English expression, throw the baby out with the bathwater.

That's interesting - are you trying to kid on us, or is this an real English expression?
I'm asking since the literal translation "Das Baby (or Das Kind) mit dem Bad ausschütten" is a common German expression. Usually literally translations of such expressions don't work.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #498 on: September 01, 2022, 08:23:59 pm »
I request to remove the above discussion about baby and water because it is off topic.

Or... am I just trying to throw out the water without the baby?

>:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #499 on: September 01, 2022, 08:24:16 pm »

That's interesting - are you trying to kid on us, or is this an real English expression?
I'm asking since the literal translation "Das Baby (or Das Kind) mit dem Bad ausschütten" is a common German expression. Usually literally translations of such expressions don't work.

It is a real genuine English saying, I kid you not.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_throw_the_baby_out_with_the_bathwater
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, capt bullshot

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf