Author Topic: Discussing the usage of the TEA thread  (Read 51493 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Discussing the usage of the TEA thread
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2022, 02:51:42 am »
It's just that a handful of people (9 according to the poll) are fed up enough with the moderation of the TEA thread to leave the forum or think about leaving the forum over it.

I'd be willing to wager that they won't anyway. Most ppl like that are full of shit.
iratus parum formica

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2022, 02:53:11 am »
I don't want to lock the TEA thread, I think that's a bad idea.Heaps of people still enjoy it.
I wholeheartedly agree.

It's just that a handful of people (9 according to the poll) are fed up enough with the moderation of the TEA thread to leave the forum or think about leaving the forum over it.
The Moderators will always get the blame - but that is because they are the public face of the rest of the membership when that membership says "enough". .... and that's not even taking into account the attitude of those who's self-righteousness and "entitlement" ignored the historical precepts and requests to ease back.

I'm happy to back off somewhat from the TEA thread, and if people want to post video responses to show their mood status, then so be it, that doesn't impact the rest of the forum.
Back to what it was would be nice - where people would apologise for their excess and move on.  Hopefully with not too many videos.

But I agree with others that we can't let it become a free-for-all thread with zero rules, as it will be quickly become know as the "No moderation thread" and people with that itching to talk about all the normally banned stuff will just head there and ruin it even more, and that spills over into the forum.
Yeah.  Nah.  People just need to be considerate of the community as a whole - and if we can operate within the formal boundaries, then it's a much richer place.

People realise this, and it's why the "other TEA forum" has almost the exact same off-topic rules as we have here.
Funny about that.

Some may argue it's one thing to have rules - but another as to how you apply them.  To those I would ask ... So what do you do when you take the gently, gently approach and get the finger in response?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 02:58:38 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2022, 02:57:35 am »
It should never have been a sticky though as I think they should be left for threads with info relevant for the entire forum or sub-board.

The sticky could indeed have been mistake, as it would help newbies come into it thinking it's the place the ask questions, when untimately is seem to be the place a few dozen ver yactive members hang out and shoot the breeze about test equipment (mostly).
I don't believe it being a sticky has anything to do with anything.  Just a strawman argument, IMO.

The TEA thread is defined by it's content, not its location.

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2022, 03:01:10 am »
As for maintaining an index of equipment/topics on the first post, not sure about that. If something posted warrants an index, perhaps it should be a new thread in itself which can point to the posts in the thread it's related to. In any case we no longer have anyone maintaining the index that bitseeker created and it will fall into disrepair.

My 2cents:
I think that regarding this, any and every repair/refurbished made in acquired equipments should have a parent thread open in their respective subforum, even if it is a copy of what was written in the TEA global thread.

That way its not only easy for search and index as also for following the full process that in some cases can go into lots of posts scattered along pages, mixed between other posts of other equipments.

Not only that most users who are TEA have a big backlog of equipment to refurbish, that goes as they get parts needed or discover the root of the problem.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:07:58 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2022, 05:15:11 am »
On the other TEA forum site someone posted this:
Have a look around and you'll see how we've utilized the breathing room to accommodate a variety of discussions. It has practically exploded with life. Now, the structure enables folks to follow what they like and ignore what they don't. It's much more manageable and enjoyable for everyone.

I'll repeat my response here:

I can't see how this is any different to the EEVblog?
If some were sick of the one big TEA thread then why not just start different threads?
You effectively have the same rules here as the EEVBlog, so what's the difference? I honestly don't get it.
I could even make an entire TEA subsection on the EEVblog if it's that important to have your own "space", but nobody ever even bothered to ask. Heck, it could even have it's own moderator and be invite only if needed.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2022, 05:44:11 am »
As per the other TEA forum, it seems that at least one person is pissed off that people where trying to explain to me what was happening in the TEA thread and I "didn't listen" or ignored the whole thing.
This is not true. I literally had no idea any discussion was taking place in TEA because I don't read nor frequent the TEA thread. First thing i heard about any of this was when I was allerted to this thread here that was already a dozen pages deep. I posted a few minutes after eventually seeing this thread.

When big shit like this is going down on the forum, do me and everyone a favour and don't assume that I know what's going on. My daily use on the forum is limited to a few threads I'm interested in and the occasional browse of new ones. TEA is not one of them.

I get the same moderator report email alerts as the other mods, but the others are so quick to respond that I rarely get a chance to see what went down, so I just assume it was taken care of and everyone went back their merry way.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:02:48 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2022, 05:54:31 am »
0.02$ and sample size n=1 and all that but I haven't voted and i won't because

- it's difficult to capture the complexity of this in a simple poll. It feels awkard reducing it to that.
- voting implies to some degree and somehow attributing blame (at least it does in my head) and I don't feel the need for it.
- kinda pointless. What's done is done.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2022, 05:56:39 am »
I could even make an entire TEA subsection on the EEVblog if it's that important to have your own "space", but nobody ever even bothered to ask. Heck, it could even have it's own moderator and be invite only if needed.

There has never been a head honcho ever so eager to adapt the forum to user whims.
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #308 on: August 29, 2022, 06:04:15 am »
There has never been a head honcho ever so eager to adapt the forum to user whims.

Is that a complaint?

In that case it seems that I can't win.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:05:53 am by EEVblog »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #309 on: August 29, 2022, 06:06:12 am »

Is that a complaint?

In that case it seems that I can't win.

Sorry. I did stare at that wondering how many more double negs I could shove into the statement.

I've only ever seen you move mountains to try and accommodate people on here.
iratus parum formica

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #310 on: August 29, 2022, 06:09:06 am »

I literally created a cooking section because a few people wanted it.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #311 on: August 29, 2022, 06:09:15 am »
On the other TEA forum site someone posted this:
Have a look around and you'll see how we've utilized the breathing room to accommodate a variety of discussions. It has practically exploded with life. Now, the structure enables folks to follow what they like and ignore what they don't. It's much more manageable and enjoyable for everyone.

I can't see how this is any different to the EEVblog?

The difference is the number of members. It is the select group that felt mistreated by the moderators, with a couple of their best mates that are now enjoying their new found place without "pesky moderators" to hinder them. They just were and are looking through pink glasses. The "pesky moderators" are their fellow members and not the actual moderators. The latter are just the tools needed to do the job. And they are also the ones that get the crap poured over them. And that is a shame.

To some extend I get it, because it hurts your feelings when you get "moderated", but that is part of life, and a reasonable and sane person should be able to get over it, accept it was needed and go on with breathing.

When the new place gets bigger membership, it will run into the same problems when active members start to get annoyed with some of the crap floating around. Or maybe even sooner when some of the best mates get fed up with the crap of just a couple. Because how many dragons can you take.

Edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:12:31 am by pcprogrammer »

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #312 on: August 29, 2022, 06:11:22 am »

I literally created a cooking section because a few people wanted it.

Exactly. I think most realise that you're copping the spat-out-dummy in the face cos you're there not because of a fault.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2022, 06:14:22 am »
The thing is, there is no pleasing everyone possible here. It is just as in "real" live. To many different ego's, and you can't please them all.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2022, 06:20:27 am »
The thing is, there is no pleasing everyone possible here. It is just as in "real" live. To many different ego's, and you can't please them all.

The cat owner's appreciation thread is a good example of self-goverance. There's a unwritten rule about going into the weeds too much and there's a couple of guard dogs(!) to keeps us all in check.
iratus parum formica

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #315 on: August 29, 2022, 06:24:43 am »
0.02$ and sample size n=1 and all that but I haven't voted and i won't because

- it's difficult to capture the complexity of this in a simple poll. It feels awkard reducing it to that.
- voting implies to some degree and somehow attributing blame (at least it does in my head) and I don't feel the need for it.
Fair enough.

- kinda pointless.
I wouldn't go quite that far.  For all the reservations one may have about quantitative value, it does have a qualitative value - and that is the opinion is not all one-sided.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #316 on: August 29, 2022, 06:29:06 am »
- kinda pointless.
I wouldn't go quite that far.  For all the reservations one may have about quantitative value, it does have a qualitative value - and that is the opinion is not all one-sided.

My problem with the poll is the questions posed in the poll should have been in their own poll. I mean, how do we really know the poll itself isn't part of some conspiracy?

Jokes aside, the response curve looks about right.

edit: no pun intended.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:31:45 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #317 on: August 29, 2022, 06:32:07 am »
Sometimes I worry about you....

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #318 on: August 29, 2022, 06:39:09 am »
It should never have been a sticky though as I think they should be left for threads with info relevant for the entire forum or sub-board.

The sticky could indeed have been mistake, as it would help newbies come into it thinking it's the place the ask questions, when untimately is seem to be the place a few dozen ver yactive members hang out and shoot the breeze about test equipment (mostly).
I don't believe it being a sticky has anything to do with anything.  Just a strawman argument, IMO.

Again, just my opinion. I think that the importance of the TEA thread is overrated.

Yes the thread is defined by its content, and that content is a lot of therapeutic talk accompanying the gathering of test equipment. I have the feeling that, it being used as the best seller of the EEVBlog forum, makes people believe it is the number one place to find the information about their precious equipment.

And there is were they are wrong. It is much more the whole forum, and not the TEA thread that is the place to find the valuable information.

Sure a lot of knowledgeable people are active in that one thread, and some only there, but to my believe one would be better of starting a new thread with a specific question then to enter into the TEA thread to hope for an answer there.

I also had a bit of a feeling that others where not that welcome in the TEA thread, but that could be just me.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #319 on: August 29, 2022, 06:43:07 am »
The difference is the number of members. It is the select group that felt mistreated by the moderators, with a couple of their best mates that are now enjoying their new found place without "pesky moderators" to hinder them. They just were and are looking through pink glasses. The "pesky moderators" are their fellow members and not the actual moderators. The latter are just the tools needed to do the job. And they are also the ones that get the crap poured over them. And that is a shame.

To some extend I get it, because it hurts your feelings when you get "moderated", but that is part of life, and a reasonable and sane person should be able to get over it, accept it was needed and go on with breathing.

When the new place gets bigger membership, it will run into the same problems when active members start to get annoyed with some of the crap floating around. Or maybe even sooner when some of the best mates get fed up with the crap of just a couple. Because how many dragons can you take.

Yes, they will have the same problems when it grows, it's inevitable.
What is obvious now is that the TEA thread was so huge, and was inhabbited by maybe only a few donens really active "members" that it was always not going to work in the end. I honestly never undersood how that one thread handled all that volume and still stayed together.
What is needed is another section dedicated to the TEA group, with it's own moderator, and ironically put outside the Product/Test equipment section.
I have offered to put it in the Other Hobbies section which sits alone with a small Cooking group. Sections can have their own moderators, SMF allows that. We'll see if "they" are happy with that.
Apparently a thread moderator was discussed the other week, but because I don't read the thread I never saw it.

There is clearly a small group of members who thought of themselves as a min-community, and I'm happy to accomodate them in a seperate section just like Cooking.
Obviously I can't read all sections of the forum, but if there are any other mini-communities like this on the forum please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 07:04:54 am by EEVblog »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #320 on: August 29, 2022, 06:43:22 am »

I also had a bit of a feeling that others where not that welcome in the TEA thread, but that could be just me.

It sure does have a old school IRC feel to it. IRC whizzes past and isn't organized at all. It's one of the reasons why forums took off.

edit:

Just to expand on the above and clean up the quotes, chat rooms participants were very against forums. The idea of leaving a question and bouncing without 'hanging out' was considered very rude.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:49:00 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #321 on: August 29, 2022, 07:01:19 am »

Sometimes one forgets that expressing opinions via text can be somewhat lacking.  It can be like trying to appreciate opera via teletype.

I don't think it being a sticky was significant either but I still maintain the view. Definitely too minor a point to classify it as a strawman argument.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #322 on: August 29, 2022, 07:03:16 am »
Again, just my opinion. I think that the importance of the TEA thread is overrated.

Yes the thread is defined by its content, and that content is a lot of therapeutic talk accompanying the gathering of test equipment. I have the feeling that, it being used as the best seller of the EEVBlog forum, makes people believe it is the number one place to find the information about their precious equipment.

And there is were they are wrong. It is much more the whole forum, and not the TEA thread that is the place to find the valuable information.

The TEA is an oddity, a thread of such gargantuan proportions that's it's completely intimidating to anyone that enters.
I use it as an example of how obsessed people are about test equipment.
The forum value of course lies in the entire Test Equipment and other sections of the forum.

Sure a lot of knowledgeable people are active in that one thread, and some only there, but to my believe one would be better of starting a new thread with a specific question then to enter into the TEA thread to hope for an answer there.

Sure, that would be my advice. The TEA has way too many tangent and ongoing discussion to be useful as a general newbie question sections. And it would defeat the entire prupose of forums, which is to provide thread for different questions and topics.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #323 on: August 29, 2022, 07:33:32 am »

That is not true. Whenever (mostly) someone new showed up and introduced himself he got a nice welcome there.
I'd never the impression, that somebody wouldn't be welcome to TEA.

Some examples:
Code: [Select]
https://www.google.com/search?q=mnemnth+aardvak+neverending+taco+site%3Awww.eevblog.com%2Fforum%2Ftestgear%2Ftest-equipment-anonymous-%28tea%29-group-therapy-thread
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 08:22:35 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Ice-Tea, Specmaster, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #324 on: August 29, 2022, 07:59:48 am »
So what is that old saying.....a picture says a thousand words yet if we are to expressly follow your lead and not clutter the forum with a tonne of wasted visual space we'd not be linking any of your videos into posts.  :-//

And a poll, seriously and after the fact.  ::)
And you think poll results are to be a true and accurate representation of members views ?
A week ago it sure would have been a fine idea but now the horse has bolted after excessive use of the whip.
You are consistently one of the most antagonistic members on this forum, especially towards me. I saw what you said in the other TEA forum. And here you having another shot at me again even though I'm trying to sort this out. As a result, your opinion means very little to me, not that there is value at all in what you just posted, it's just slagging me off.
Please accept my apologies Dave as it's been a very stressful week here on the blog to see such good friends of some years leave and take their knowledge and likely future contributions with them for which I believe the forum is much the poorer.

Still like you I'd rather this episode didn't happen and appreciate your attempts to patch relations with the chaps on the other TEA forum.

With a heavy heart I'll pull my head in.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, pcprogrammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf