Poll

What do you think about having designated "Expert" forum users?

I don't like it
126 (71.6%)
Maybe
26 (14.8%)
I like it
24 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Designated "Expert" Forum Users?  (Read 48010 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: Designated "Expert" Forum Users?
« Reply #375 on: February 21, 2022, 12:09:00 am »
My real fear with all of this is not what Dave decides to do, but why?  Is he looking for or being pursued by a suiter?  AAC when that way with EETech Media; ETO and EDAboard were acquired by WTWH Media.  What's EEVBlog future?

:-DD
It's in the first post. Someone asked about it and it kinda had some merit so I asked here.

But I am considering competing offers from Klaus Schwab at the WEF, Bill Gates, the Koch brothers, Blackrock, and some guy who looks remarkably like a lizard. I'm kinda erring on the side of the lizard guy.

Omission of Zuckerberg says it all.

:)
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: jpanhalt

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #376 on: February 21, 2022, 12:54:07 am »
My real fear with all of this is not what Dave decides to do, but why?  Is he looking for or being pursued by a suiter?  AAC when that way with EETech Media; ETO and EDAboard were acquired by WTWH Media.  What's EEVBlog future?

It's in the first post. Someone asked about it and it kinda had some merit so I asked here.

But I am considering competing offers from Klaus Schwab at the WEF, Bill Gates, the Koch brothers, Blackrock, and some guy who looks remarkably like a lizard. I'm kinda erring on the side of the lizard guy.

I am an octogenarian hobbyist and have lived through the transformations of ETO, EDAboard and  AAC.  How much would it take ($) to keep EEVBlog a community site (with updated software) the same?  Maybe a GoFundMe or similar crowd funded site is an alternative?

John

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #377 on: February 21, 2022, 12:54:49 am »
Someone asked about it and it kinda had some merit so I asked here.
Yet when I emailed you a few months back about an extremely interesting new member suggesting you approach him for an Amphour interview I get back squat !

And someone suggests you change the forum and we go through all this BS ?
Notice the #'s against are still rising or do the rose tinted glasses prevent that ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2022, 01:12:39 am »
Whatever the outcome, I've thoroughly enjoyed the discussion thus far.

(I, too, may add a simple Ublock Origin filter to hide the count, just to make sure it doesn't affect myself: I'm too easy to socially manipulate using tools like that.  Everything I've suggested here is not to make me more comfortable, though.  I've only considered the underlying issues as a problem to solve for everyone, concentrating on the idea of least negative effects for anyone.)

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2022, 01:25:32 am »
Yet when I emailed you a few months back about an extremely interesting new member suggesting you approach him for an Amphour interview I get back squat !

Dave gets a ton of emails every day as you can imagine. Sometimes it's days before even I get a reply. Also, running a business like his means he has stacks of competing priorities depending on what's happening that week.

I'm sure you weren't simply ignored.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, SeanB, MK14

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2022, 02:17:22 am »
We talked about that 'other' site and their approach - there are separate forums under the umbrella of "Go Ask The Expert" with several topics and associated experts.  Anybody can pose a question, only the dedicated expert can reply.  These run in parallel with the more community forums.  Of course, anybody can post a question there as well.

So, if you want diverse opinions, post to the community forums, if you would prefer a more expert opinion, and you don't mind waiting, there are the expert forums,

This has the advantage of keeping the community oriented forums open,

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #381 on: February 21, 2022, 02:20:56 am »

I am an octogenarian hobbyist and have lived through the transformations of ETO, EDAboard and  AAC.  How much would it take ($) to keep EEVBlog a community site (with updated software) the same?  Maybe a GoFundMe or similar crowd funded site is an alternative?
John

Gee, chill out a bit.
Nothing is changing.
Here is how this works, and it's been the same for the last 12+ years this forum has been going. Occasioanlly I will get an idea for a change/improvement, or someone will suggest one, and unless it's absolutely minor I will put a poll on the forum so the community can vote on if it's worth pursuing or not. Many people even start their own threads on suggested changes and discuss it.

The following users thanked this post: m k

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #382 on: February 21, 2022, 02:24:50 am »

And someone suggests you change the forum and we go through all this BS ?

"All this BS"? it's a simple poll asking if it's an idea worth pursuing, been done a hundred times on here in the past, chill out.
Sorry I didn't reply, I don't know why I didn't. And I just saw your email again recently and have actually contacted the person to come on the amp hour.
Often I read email and don't have time to reply right then, so I set it back to Unread hoping to get back to it, or I mark it Unread so it stays in my inbox. And then, well, shit happens.
And BTW, you might be very embaressed to find out who actually suggested this and under what circumstances.

Notice the #'s against are still rising or do the rose tinted glasses prevent that ?

What is your problem? Where have I ever said I'm going through with this? Show me the post. It was very clear from the first hour that it wasn't popular, so it's not going ahead. If you are complaining about the 14 page thread this is turned into, then no one is forcing you to read it. Discussion like this often lead to interesting ideas for improvement not related to the original idea.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:31:46 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja, m k

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #383 on: February 21, 2022, 03:27:13 am »
Sorry I didn't reply, I don't know why I didn't. And I just saw your email again recently and have actually contacted the person to come on the amp hour.
Excellent, I really hope you and the show find his past professional life as interesting as I do.  :popcorn:

And BTW, you might be very embaressed to find out who actually suggested this and under what circumstances.
Try me, privately if you prefer.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #384 on: February 21, 2022, 03:51:25 am »
Try me, privately if you prefer.

Nope, the joke is all mine  :P

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2022, 04:51:16 am »

I, for one, welcome our new lizard overlords.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #386 on: February 21, 2022, 05:08:43 am »

I, for one, welcome our new lizard overlords.

Bugs are yummy.
iratus parum formica

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #387 on: February 21, 2022, 05:10:48 am »
What is your problem? Where have I ever said I'm going through with this? Show me the post. It was very clear from the first hour that it wasn't popular, so it's not going ahead.
Maybe there are people that haven't had the experience of being asked their opinion and having it listened to.

As Dave said, the idea proposed is not going ahead.  It was run up the flagpole to see how many would salute it and how many would shoot it down.  From the crunch of all the brass under foot, the answer would seem rather obvious (to me, at least).

If you are complaining about the 14 page thread this is turned into, then no one is forcing you to read it. Discussion like this often lead to interesting ideas for improvement not related to the original idea.
Such discussions can - and do - wander all over the place.  You can get extreme views, ridiculous ideas and, occasionally, some interesting points.  I liken it to "brainstorming".  The value here is to not take anything too much to heart and look back when all the shouting is over and see if there are any gems.

If people still have something they want to get off their chest, then they are free to do so - but don't interpret continued discussion as a sign the idea will come to be.  It isn't.  Dave said so.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Nominal Animal

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #388 on: February 21, 2022, 06:02:19 am »
What is your problem? Where have I ever said I'm going through with this? Show me the post. It was very clear from the first hour that it wasn't popular, so it's not going ahead.
Maybe there are people that haven't had the experience of being asked their opinion and having it listened to.

As Dave said, the idea proposed is not going ahead.  It was run up the flagpole to see how many would salute it and how many would shoot it down.  From the crunch of all the brass under foot, the answer would seem rather obvious (to me, at least).
But it is completely unrelated and co-incidental that while this discussion was taking place the user displays gained a "thanked" count?  :-DD and that change is nothing at all like trying to obviously rank/separate users. Things did change, despite there being no popular consensus.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #389 on: February 21, 2022, 07:42:28 am »
But it is completely unrelated and co-incidental that while this discussion was taking place the user displays gained a "thanked" count?  :-DD and that change is nothing at all like trying to obviously rank/separate users. Things did change, despite there being no popular consensus.
:palm:  Desperate to make a noise are we?

Maybe it escaped your notice, but that was nothing like the original proposal.  It didn't change how things were done or what they meant - and it can be removed as easily as it was implemented, with no lasting detriment.

Besides, the statistic has been available for anyone to see - and has been for as long as I can remember.  Just click on a member's Username and it's right there on the landing page of their profile.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 07:45:30 am by Brumby »

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2022, 08:21:23 am »

Omission of Zuckerberg's name says it all ;)

I shouldn't have joked about "like" buttons :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2022, 10:43:53 am »
Regardless of what one might wish Dave chooses to do with respect to the Say Thanks functionality:
Because the suggested related changes are minimal and easily reverted, it makes perfect sense for Dave to experiment with them for a few days, and see if the changes have a desirable effect, no effect at all, or an undesirable effect.

This kind of :-/O is what we do, after all.

Those who feel very annoyed by the Thanked: counter, can use one of several browser extensions that can remove or hide the li element with class thankscount.  You can use an ad blocker, or you can add a CSS snippet (li.thankscount { display:none; }), to hide it.
There is no need to hurry or worry overmuch.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #392 on: February 21, 2022, 10:51:09 am »

I jedi'd Dave into thinking it was his idea.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #393 on: February 21, 2022, 01:10:31 pm »

Omission of Zuckerberg's name says it all ;)

I shouldn't have joked about "like" buttons :scared:

He couldnt afford  it; Facebook's stock has lost 500e9 in value recently due to Apple and Google creating anti advert tech. What a shame.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: February 21, 2022, 01:27:20 pm »
*restricting pro-advert tech introduced 10 yeas ago for the first time ;)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: February 21, 2022, 01:34:01 pm »
Besides, the statistic has been available for anyone to see - and has been for as long as I can remember.  Just click on a member's Username and it's right there on the landing page of their profile.

There's quite a difference of degree between the statistic being available for anyone to see upon seeking it out, and seeing it every time one reads a post.

As I've consistently pointed out, the "thanked" count isn't a helpful statistic. At best, it partitions people into "either helpful or affable or both" and "not (either helpful or affable or both)". At worst it tells you nothing. The only time I've found it informative is as a loose indication when I've encountered someone I haven't noticed before, and they are either being a dick, apparently trolling, or trying to start a fight, to determine if they are just having a bad day or if it's likely to be normal behaviour for them
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #396 on: February 21, 2022, 01:53:22 pm »

If you're going to sell it, I vote for Donald Trump. At least he won't do woketard things such as ban master slave terminology. >:D

Offline strawberry

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #397 on: February 21, 2022, 06:20:12 pm »
experts are for kids and cat lovers, I have Hyper global mega admiral electrical ultra engineering degree

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #398 on: February 21, 2022, 09:14:05 pm »
experts are for kids and cat lovers, I have Hyper global mega admiral electrical ultra engineering degree

+1 (not thanked, for obvious reasons)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Smokey

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #399 on: February 22, 2022, 07:43:56 am »

I turned that on as an experiment that showed what it used to look like when we first installed the thanks system. It didn't seem to work any more so I forgot about it. Maybe it took time to turn back on. But yeah, there it is.
Anyway, surprise, that's what it used to look like and people didn't really like it IIRC.
I think it could work if it was renamed.
As for it "Ranking" people, it's not that much different to post count, except that it's more useful, it shows that people have respected what that user has to say.
Should I remove it again?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf