Poll

What do you think about having designated "Expert" forum users?

I don't like it
126 (71.6%)
Maybe
26 (14.8%)
I like it
24 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Designated "Expert" Forum Users?  (Read 47980 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Designated "Expert" Forum Users?
« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2022, 03:31:51 pm »
According to my poll public opinion is mostly against the thanked counter in every post, but it's not as unpopular as the expert idea

FWTW I've just gone and added my 'No' (i.e. dislike showing the thanked count) to that, but I don't want to get embroiled in another tread about this.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2022, 04:01:46 pm »

When it was first introduced almost everyone liked the idea of having the ability to Thank a post. It was a nice way to say you appreciated the effort that went into the post, or agree with it etc, without pollutiing the thread with a copy of the post and a  :-+ +1  :clap: etc
Essentially it rewards good and often extensive technical posts. A little deserving dopamine hit for the author.

It has a bit more utility than merely providing a dopamine hit.

It provides positive feedback. You can use it to gauge interest in what you're posting even if people haven't posted any follow-ups to what you're saying. If you post something on "current project X" and get half a dozen "thanks" but no posts in response, then people probably found your description of "current project X" interesting and it's probably OK to post further updates on the project as and when. If it passes by without "thanks" or posts in response then it, then nobody was interested and you're probably better off keeping schtum.

The "thanks" button fulfills this feedback rĂ´le nicely, one can indicate interest without polluting threads with "Interesting" or "keep us updated" messages. In a way it can act in place of those little cues we give off in physical conversation to indicate that people aren't boring us (yet), the little nods and "Umhum"s. OK, there are some people who will carry on regardless, like the strange thread where currently one person is talking to themselves (and one other forum member occasionally interjects) and has been doing so for 7 pages so far despite there being no interest shown by the world in general. In real life the yawning and looking at watches would have killed a physical conversation monologue like that dead in two minutes.

The logical conclusion here would be to also have a "bored" button as a negative feedback mechanism, but that's way too abrupt and abrasive compared to the subtle real life cues one gives off when being bored witless to be a realistic suggestion.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tpowell1830

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2022, 04:19:26 pm »
I am thinking that in "Theory" this would be a great idea .. But as with all what I have seen so far Theory and practice are totally distorted  .
Some of the so called Experts are really good at copy & Paste and have not got a clue . &  could out smart anyone with a twisted tongue.
On the other hand there are some real born Genuineness here and they stay in the shadows .
The only way to Find real experts would be to Prove it with some Certification's

No, that's just a good way of finding people who are good at acquiring certifications.

All the genuinely smart and/or knowledgeable people  I've ever known didn't need paper certification to demonstrate how good they were, people could figure out how smart and/or knowledgeable they were within a few minutes of talking to them. Some of them might incidentally have acquired certifications and titles along the way, some hadn't. In fact in my experience if there is any correlation between "smart" and "paper qualified" it's that the outstandingly brilliant fair poorly when it comes to the academic type of paper qualifications; they are often bored rigid at school because it moves too slowly for them, they get a bad reputation with the more stupid type of teacher, and end up with poor school results and a bad taste in their mouths from dealing with the academic world.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #428 on: February 22, 2022, 04:52:05 pm »
I am thinking that in "Theory" this would be a great idea .. But as with all what I have seen so far Theory and practice are totally distorted  .
Some of the so called Experts are really good at copy & Paste and have not got a clue . &  could out smart anyone with a twisted tongue.
On the other hand there are some real born Genuineness here and they stay in the shadows .
The only way to Find real experts would be to Prove it with some Certification's

No, that's just a good way of finding people who are good at acquiring certifications.

All the genuinely smart and/or knowledgeable people  I've ever known didn't need paper certification to demonstrate how good they were, people could figure out how smart and/or knowledgeable they were within a few minutes of talking to them. Some of them might incidentally have acquired certifications and titles along the way, some hadn't. In fact in my experience if there is any correlation between "smart" and "paper qualified" it's that the outstandingly brilliant fair poorly when it comes to the academic type of paper qualifications; they are often bored rigid at school because it moves too slowly for them, they get a bad reputation with the more stupid type of teacher, and end up with poor school results and a bad taste in their mouths from dealing with the academic world.
Where did I mention paper certification.. ? . Only you mention  it .
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #429 on: February 22, 2022, 05:11:32 pm »

So what kind of certification did you have in mind?

I may or may not be an "Expert", but I'm damn good in a few areas and pretty good in many.  If I had to provide certification, I might be theoretically able to find my High School diploma -- that's it for paper, or for any "official" type of certification.

BTW, this has been a fun discussion.  It's enjoyable but I hope nothing comes of it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 05:32:41 pm by fourfathom »
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2022, 05:28:04 pm »

Look here:

I agree the word 'paper' is missing, but I don't think it makes much difference to what was said. Many things are no longer on 'paper' these days (internet/computerization), and what you stated, could be interpreted to include 'paper' ones, anyway.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2022, 05:50:37 pm »

You did, by implication, by saying "Certification's" (sic).

It is normal idiomatic English to refer to such as "paper qualifications", the paper being referred to being a document such as a "pass certificate", "exam certificate", "degree certificate", and so on. If the qualification is from somewhere particularly expensive it may be inscribed on a dead sheep's skin rather than paper, if it's from somewhere particularly downmarket, or particularly fashionable, then the certificate will be a collection of [mostly random] bits drifting around somewhere in cyberspace (also sic*).

* Because I remember when people used the cyber- prefix properly, in relation to control systems, not gnomically and misnomically to refer to the latest digital fad.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2022, 05:54:36 pm »
BTW, this has been a fun discussion.  It's enjoyable but I hope nothing comes of it.
I like the passage!  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2022, 06:16:37 pm »

Maybe the type that (in conjunction with medics), the police can do for a few days and the courts indefinitely?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2022, 06:44:22 pm »
The idea of having expert forum users, even if it means they have to pass some sort of test is a very bad idea. For a start, it's virtually impossible to develop a test which would accurately asses the range of skills and knowledge required to help in every area of electronics/programming/engineering discussed on this site. It's impossible to ensure the person doesn't cheat, or get someone else to do it for them. A good number of people here would have to agree with the test, in order for it to be respected by most.

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies, Labrat101

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2022, 06:46:26 pm »
Are there even enough (or any) people that want to bother passing some test to get a badge on the internet forum? I would be suspicious of anyone wanting to do that in a first place.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, tpowell1830, MrMobodies, Labrat101

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2022, 07:21:40 pm »

I Am sorry to disillusioned you all . I just had to try one of my oldest Interview tricks . To see what the reaction were.
     No,  I don't think any one would be willing to do any sort of test or put them self in that sort of predicament .
    :popcorn:
 PS .. As mention The out come would be horrible .
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2022, 07:25:24 pm »
I personally like the "Thank User" feedback to see that someone actually read my post and that my 2 cents was actually worth 2 cents, although not completely definitive, at least it is positive feedback. As far as considering it a badge or a trophy,  I am 69 yo and could not care less about such things, especially on a forum by people that I don't even know. (Maybe if I was still 12...)

As far as Expert badges, or similar, the administration, if done correctly, would be a nightmare for Dave to ensure that the system was viable, let alone maintainable. I often refer to myself as "Jack of all trades, master at none." so there is no circumstance where I would be considered "Expert".  Competence, however would be a trait that I would respect, but in my years of working with others, their competence is something that is earned over a long period of time and actually working with them; no test will do that for you.

In conclusion, I voted no on the Expert status idea and get rid of thanks count on every post on the other thread.

Again, my 2 cents...
PEACE===>T

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2022, 07:51:28 pm »
  I Am sorry to disillusioned you all . I just had to try one of my oldest Interview tricks . To see what the reaction were.
     No,  I don't think any one would be willing to do any sort of test or put them self in that sort of predicament .
    :popcorn:
 PS .. As mention The out come would be horrible .

When I was an interviewer, I never resorted to, or needed to resort to,  such tricks.

When I was an interviewee, if I came across tricks, I knew I didn't want to work there.

Fundamentally there are too many interesting and relevant interview techniques that trickery is an unnecessary egoboo.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:53:20 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2022, 09:06:21 pm »
Competence, however would be a trait that I would respect, but in my years of working with others, their competence is something that is earned over a long period of time and actually working with them; no test will do that for you.
Yes and no. I think you have to seperate two things here: eagerness / enthousiasm and being able to do the work. When I interview a candidate for an engineering position, I always let the candidate do a test to see if the candidate has the knowledge level required for the job. I have come across some very motivated people but when it came to doing engineering work, little to nothing came out of their heads & hands.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2022, 09:55:00 pm »
... I am 69 yo and ...

You're the umpteenth person in this thread to cite their advanced age for one reason or another. At this rate Dave's going to start wondering whether it's time to stop selling EEVblog branded multimeters and start in on the EEVblog branded Zimmer frames!

:-DD

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2022, 11:02:08 pm »
People asking for this might want to try that: https://www.experts-exchange.com
That's exactly what it is about, and of course it's a paid service.

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2022, 12:21:16 am »
... I am 69 yo and ...

You're the umpteenth person in this thread to cite their advanced age for one reason or another. At this rate Dave's going to start wondering whether it's time to stop selling EEVblog branded multimeters and start in on the EEVblog branded Zimmer frames!

:-DD

I mentioned my age as a qualifier for the fact that I have worked with many people over my career. I don't claim to be any smarter or wiser than anyone else, but I have a lot of experience.

Whatsa zimmer frame?
PEACE===>T

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2022, 12:30:55 am »
People asking for this might want to try that: https://www.experts-exchange.com
That's exactly what it is about, and of course it's a paid service.
I'm perfectly happy with my sex, but thanks anyway.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, magic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #444 on: February 23, 2022, 12:37:44 am »
I mentioned my age as a qualifier for the fact that I have worked with many people over my career. I don't claim to be any smarter or wiser than anyone else, but I have a lot of experience.

Whatsa zimmer frame?

Oh we know why you said it, nothing wrong with that. It's just that there are so many of us not *ahem* in the first flush of youth, and so many have directly referenced their own age in that regard in this thread that I'm beginning to suspect that if one finds one self thinking "Huh, the youth of today!" at what someone's saying on here it's likely that they'll turn out to be older than the person thinking that.

Oh, and a Zimmer frame is the device that seems to support half of Florida, if I am to believe what I see at the kinematograph:

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #445 on: February 23, 2022, 01:08:39 am »

The new management, Mr. Lizard (praise be upon his scaliness), has mandated a 50/50 male to female ratio.
Someones got to do it.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #446 on: February 23, 2022, 01:17:42 am »

The new management, Mr. Lizard (praise be upon his scaliness), has mandated a 50/50 male to female ratio.
Someones got to do it.
Ouch.  I understand.  Will the split line be horizontal, vertical, or diagonal?  Or can one ask for more than one split line?  I'm rather fond of Mondrian, you see, but would settle for a single diagonal line.  I'd rather not have a horizontal or vertical one, because those tend to lead to confusion in the bedroom.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #447 on: February 23, 2022, 02:06:40 am »
As has been inferred by previous comment, the "Thanks" system that exists on EEVblog has evolved with its own, if somewhat nebulous, value.  Using dictionary definitions are pointless since such precision in meaning does not map against the "vibe" of the way it has developed.  Sure, prior to this there was the occasional question asked, but nobody seemed really worried about it.  From my experience, over time, people seemed to get comfortable with it

If asked to give a formal description of what the "Thanks" system on the EEVblog is all about, I would struggle.  Certainly it is not a definitive measure of expertise, but does that mean it needs to be altered or removed?

As for people supposedly "gaming the system" with the treez/Faringdon thing, I ask: To what end?  Adding to a number that most people don't care about?  I say: ignore that - which is what I've done for ages.  Sure, you see the "thanks" in the thread posts, but for those threads, I just shake my head and move on. 

I don't really care much about the total thanks a member has accumulated ... and I venture to say that a great proportion of members feel likewise.

I will admit that a couple of years ago when I noticed I was in the top 10 list, I felt the urge to keep my number up - but that failed as I had started a new job and had less time for posting.  I soon got over that and now I just don't care.  Being a number that people would have to actively make an effort to see, to me, it just doesn't rate as an issue (now that Dave removed the display of it on every post).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #448 on: February 23, 2022, 02:28:23 am »
If asked to give a formal description of what the "Thanks" system on the EEVblog is all about, I would struggle.  Certainly it is not a definitive measure of expertise, but does that mean it needs to be altered or removed?
It evolved as an alternative to Like as a better acknowledgement of a members contributions.

Would you prefer Like or a return to +1 and  :-+ ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #449 on: February 23, 2022, 02:32:16 am »
Each person probably has their own reasons for clicking "Thanks". So why do I personally use it? Mostly to acknowledge a post that I think is interesting to me (not someone else because how would I know what interests them). Of course if someone answers a question I asked I give a thanks.

I do not do it to add to anyone's "Thanks" counter nor did I even notice how many I had ... until this thread came up.  :P
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf