Poll

What do you think about having designated "Expert" forum users?

I don't like it
126 (71.6%)
Maybe
26 (14.8%)
I like it
24 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Designated "Expert" Forum Users?  (Read 47979 times)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Designated "Expert" Forum Users?
« Reply #350 on: February 20, 2022, 03:08:38 am »
and admonishes more advanced responders to be polite

Small pedantic correction - it asks 'regulars' to be polite. 'Admonish' is telling off after the fact (which, admittedly, could be appropriate in some cases).

The dictionary says "warn or reprimand someone firmly" (Emph. mine), so I reckon the original usage is OK.

Fair cop. Mine does too  :palm:

See, there you go!  Tearing into an old guy's choice of words.  Geez...  You  realize I am a protected species, right?
And then I have to go look up the British expressions...  "Two nations separated by a common language" - George Bernard Shaw

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #351 on: February 20, 2022, 03:12:10 am »
Dave, I hope you don't mind, I edited the poll to enable users to change their original vote. I think this thread has some good discussion and people might want to amend their original stance.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName, tautech

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #352 on: February 20, 2022, 03:57:56 am »
Hmmmm... Many good responses, a lot of discussions, some have morphed into adding a button...

Is Dave pulling our leg?
PEACE===>T

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2022, 04:58:46 am »
I do not like the numerical counters about a poster shown with each post. The number of posts is neutral, and if anyone makes any qualitative inferences based on that, it's on them.

However, why show the Thanked count, or any other similar count?  What is its purpose?

I do not believe the count has any worth.  The only thing I see having worth is when a post is made, and some members have Thanked it, is that one can easily look at their recent posting history to easily evaluate the value of that mark to myself, with just a couple of clicks/taps.

I recommend this approach to everyone, especially to new members, even when there is no Thanked list, and only have the post and the name of the member who made that post, to go by:  when they get a response, and have difficulty determining how to approach that response, they should just look at the recent posts by that member, to determine the context.  This is not stalking, this is seeking understanding of where the suggestion stems from.

This might even reduce the occurrence of the unfortunate "who are you to claim that" -type of discussions, that often stem from insufficient or misunderstood context.

I believe adding the Thanked: counter is a wrong move.  Re-reading most of the posts here, I think the change that has the best probability of achieving desirable results, is to just reword the "Say thanks" button and "The following users thanked this post:" text (and "Thanked" in the member profile page) slightly; plus additional advice to members on how the button is intended to be used.

What should be the modified text be, then?  Note that we don't want to make any drastic changes, because the button has been in use for quite some time, and it would be nasty to retroactively try and change what they meant.  Thus, I think it should only adding alternate positive meanings, corresponding to the different alternate positive uses it is already been used for; choosing the ones that might help with the underlying issue that started this thread.

Me fail English to whip out a brilliant suggestion here.  All I can come up with is something like "Tap this post as Useful/Interesting/Worthwhile/Noteworthy/Nice", replacing "Thanked" with "Tapped".

(Tag would be nicer, but it is already used in SMF in another way, so using it here too would be confusing.)

The idea is that it is up to the Tapper and the reader to decide which one of the possible positive connotations they intended, as there would not be any way to mark why the post was tapped.  No counters would be shown, only the linked member names who have Tapped that particular post.

The purpose is to add positive ambiguity, which can be resolved either by posting and asking for clarification, or by examining the other posts by said member(s) to understand the context.  The intent is that this pushes members slightly in the direction of finding out more by asking or examining what the member has posted around that time –– this being the real-world equivalent of listening a bit more to find out what the speaker is talking about; plus, to mark posts that are useful/interesting/worthwhile/noteworthy/etc.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2022, 05:03:08 am »
Joke: I have an idea, if someone wants instant official answers, just setup one of those chat bots and feed it all the data on this board then they'll have their official answer and nobody will feel left out or devalued because it comes from everybody's contributions.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 06:00:38 am by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2022, 05:48:33 am »
With all this talk about experts....
...... I want to know who's going to be the new Czar of Bandgaps??????

https://www.electronicdesign.com/archive/article/21799031/whats-all-this-czar-stuff-anyhow

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2022, 05:55:57 am »
I think having the number of times somebody has been thanked on display is silly, you can count me out anyway. It would be better if it were an option in the users profile for those who like to boast about their contributions.   ::)

The following users thanked this post: tautech, MK14, rstofer, MrMobodies, HobGoblyn

Online MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2022, 06:00:50 am »
I have just noticed this sticking out a bit:

I don't know why but I don't... like to see it all the time.
So I hid it, .
eevblog.com##.thankscount
I am sorry I know whoever put it there mean't well and I don't mean to put down your efforts.

Someone maybe thanked many many times in figures but that might not mean anything to me especially if their expertise maybe on one part of the board and they happened to be commenting outside of theirs in a different subject or topic elsewhere but if I see a post with lots of thanks then that tells me whatever it is is trusted.

A bit like this one from Gnif:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/android-phones-what-a-mess/msg4017409/#msg4017409
The following users thanked this post: bitwelder, daqq, Halcyon, MK14, 2N3055, not1xor1, Jacon, Nominal Animal, MrMobodies

I wanted to post something there about the new Android Camera "app" I saw in an advert but it got locked and I found Gnif's post official and trustworthy sounding backed up by the users and the amount thanking it.

I have an idea and I think it was mentioned by someone earlier in this thread, give them some title after a certain amount of thanks but a title name relevant to where they post and are thanked for and I'd think it would be nice to think of other words that than just "expert".

I think having the number of times somebody has been thanked on display is silly, you can count me out anyway. It would be better if it were an option in the users profile for those who like to boast about their contributions.   ::)

I see have seen some already doing that with their footers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 06:13:26 am by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #358 on: February 20, 2022, 10:36:34 am »
I'm sure someone has figured this out already..
but who has the highest thank/post ratio?

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: February 20, 2022, 11:11:39 am »

No idea, but I loved "Spanked: 5280 times" on your profile.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Smokey

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #360 on: February 20, 2022, 11:12:43 am »

.... Not enough to get a "thank" :)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #361 on: February 20, 2022, 02:41:49 pm »

.... Not enough to get a "thank" :)
I considered changing mine to "Wanked 299 792 458 times", but thought that was a bit too rude.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #362 on: February 20, 2022, 02:43:43 pm »

I still don't understand what is the final goal here.
If newcomer beginners are those who needs to be protected then say it.

It seems to be inevitable that one day the staff must destroy what users have created.
There time seems to be a pivotal factor.

E,
important typo.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 02:46:37 pm by m k »
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: February 20, 2022, 03:08:23 pm »
Hmmmm... Many good responses, a lot of discussions, some have morphed into adding a button...

Is Dave pulling our leg?
I think it has already been decided. This discussion will not change it.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #364 on: February 20, 2022, 04:15:57 pm »

Is Dave pulling our leg?
The sky will fall, the world will end, we'll all turn into score whores.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #365 on: February 20, 2022, 04:25:45 pm »
What i find odd here: The majority of people in this thread, and of the votes, is against this.
Apparently the thanks counter "has been voted off the island" once before.

And yet, here it is again. Sure, Dave can do here what he wants. But why *ask*, if you want to implement such a thing anyway?

The following users thanked this post: alexnoot

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: February 20, 2022, 04:40:44 pm »
What i find odd here: The majority of people in this thread, and of the votes, is against this.
Apparently the thanks counter "has been voted off the island" once before.

And yet, here it is again. Sure, Dave can do here what he wants. But why *ask*, if you want to implement such a thing anyway?

You're right, it is disappointing.

But they may be unsure/undecided how to proceed, or they are just going to proceed anyway/regardless.

Some members seem to be floating about technological solutions, which I believe suppress some/all of the unwanted displays from appearing. They haven't been very clear on how to do it (to people unfamiliar with what they are talking about). But it is something like adding a block/script line(s) to an ad-blocker, or something.

I suppose,  once the dust settles and time passes. Others can find out what they were talking about and remove the unwanted bits by force, or spend less and less time here.

If the quality of the questions and/or posts deteriorates, some members would be put off, from hanging out here.

Predictions/Psychology can be hard, so although it might theoretically seem bad. Some of our predictions, might not turn out as badly as we thought.

It can't be that easy, being the person responsible for running the whole thing.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #367 on: February 20, 2022, 04:43:17 pm »

Is Dave pulling our leg?
You do not see the writing on the wall, do you.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: February 20, 2022, 06:35:10 pm »

Is Dave pulling our leg?

Yes, I do...

I wonder what is to become of the non-experts.  I'm not an expert in anything, I have never worked a day in my life in the electronics arena.  I made my way in construction, typically building/operating wafer fabs and other technical facilities.  Nothing of value around here.

Sure, I took the classes and got a bunch of paper but it was a LONG time ago.  Hardly relevant to today's focus.  Hint:  the 8080 was king and the Altair 8800 was just introduced.  Hardly relevant!  So, how much paper should an 'expert' have and at what point is it no longer relevant?  Is paper even required?

I can't even imagine what will happen if the anointed expert gets the wrong answer.  I learned a valuable lesson in the Army - "Never volunteer!".

If the discussion starts and stops with the expert's post, it will be a huge loss to the site.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, PlainName, MK14, HobGoblyn

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #369 on: February 20, 2022, 07:59:17 pm »

Is Dave pulling our leg?

I don't even see a wall. What I see is an experiment going on and I trust Dave to end it if it turns towards Armageddon.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Online MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #370 on: February 20, 2022, 10:34:36 pm »
If the discussion starts and stops with the expert's post, it will be a huge loss to the site.

Joke: No answers... responses but thread not going anywhere? hit the "report to moderator" button enough times and you may get an official answer.
That's it, rename "report to moderator" to "seek official answer" and just have one button on the thread.

If I trust anyone to give an "official" answer it would be Dave and people who help run this site.

It would be nice which I think already happens for Dave himself to present official answers from experts (the users here on this forum) and outside sources such as manufacturers through his videos and comments.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 11:04:59 pm by MrMobodies »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: February 20, 2022, 11:04:39 pm »
My real fear with all of this is not what Dave decides to do, but why?  Is he looking for or being pursued by a suiter?  AAC when that way with EETech Media; ETO and EDAboard were acquired by WTWH Media.  What's EEVBlog future?

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #372 on: February 20, 2022, 11:21:42 pm »
Only if I can become a Rare Meme ExpertTM©

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #373 on: February 20, 2022, 11:52:46 pm »
My real fear with all of this is not what Dave decides to do, but why?  Is he looking for or being pursued by a suiter?  AAC when that way with EETech Media; ETO and EDAboard were acquired by WTWH Media.  What's EEVBlog future?

:-DD
It's in the first post. Someone asked about it and it kinda had some merit so I asked here.

But I am considering competing offers from Klaus Schwab at the WEF, Bill Gates, the Koch brothers, Blackrock, and some guy who looks remarkably like a lizard. I'm kinda erring on the side of the lizard guy.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, MK14, Nominal Animal

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #374 on: February 21, 2022, 12:00:23 am »
It's David Ike in a mask, don't believe a word he says! Well, that or you've been contacted by the British royal family.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf