Author Topic: CrapXon engineers morally bankrupt??  (Read 16017 times)

Offline continuoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
CrapXon engineers morally bankrupt??
« on: September 30, 2015, 05:42:32 pm »
Because they build these crappy electrolytics, everyone and their dog loves to put into their appliances, in an attempt to artificially limit the useful lifetime of the gadgets and thus maximize profit by forcing the users to replace them in short intervals?

Sorry, couldn't resist...  :palm:

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
Re: CrapXon engineers morally bankrupt??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 06:17:30 pm »
In my experience, devices with crappy caps usually last through their warranty period (but not much longer). So I blame the product engineers at Cisco etc. for the planned obsolescence.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline bitslice

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 06:34:52 pm »
So I blame the product engineers at Cisco etc. for the planned obsolescence.

I still don't understand why using their products is like fiddling with crappy 1970's hardware,
like having to upload firmware from a command line?
How about we slap a GUI on that and get on with more important things in life.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:40:45 pm »
I've not yet seen CrapXon used in Cisco gear yet, have they taken a turn for the worse?

How about we slap a GUI on that and get on with more important things in life.

I see no reason for such a disgusting thing.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:45:56 pm »
The PSU of the Rigol DS1000Z-series is also full of CapXon 'lytics...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 04:00:41 pm by jitter »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 11:12:12 pm »
edit: wrong thread
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:56:18 am by Stonent »
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:28:43 pm »
what does that have to do with crapXon?

and a lot of those chinese names are amusing, but they don't hold a candle to

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 03:08:21 am »
I've not yet seen CrapXon used in Cisco gear yet, have they taken a turn for the worse?
I have. I opened up a Cisco AP at work and found that Cisco sure isn't as good as it used to be. Tried swapping them for some nice Nichicons but that didn't really improve the stability. Also tried replacing the PSU with no change. In the end, I found out that it would go stable if I turned off the 5GHz. Anyone want a dual band AP that doesn't work very well as a dual band AP? That's probably why the new APs I see being used at the various test stations are Netgears or even TP-Links...
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 03:13:01 am »
The engineers ? Nope, they're working (probably hard) and make a living, and probably feeding their family too, and definitely nothing wrong with that.

The company owners ? Thats another story.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 03:39:16 am »
I think it's about time we just accepted the obvious truth, all you engineering types are just inherently morally bankrupt.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 05:36:54 am »
It's China, there's little to no morality there.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 06:12:50 am »
Is this the third "morally bankrupt" thread we've had now?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 07:11:09 am »
Probably, although despite the rubbishing they get only the OP has as yet had a go at CapXon.

Is this because we don't all share his opinion?
Are CapXon somewhat better now than their reputation suggests?

I've only replaced 1 or2 of their caps in recent times and that was in OLD gear.
But I've replaced plenty of other obscure Asian brand caps.

If this leads to a informative discussion of members experiences, then where's the harm in that?

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:24:19 am »
Because they build these crappy electrolytics, everyone and their dog loves to put into their appliances, in an attempt to artificially limit the useful lifetime of the gadgets and thus maximize profit by forcing the users to replace them in short intervals?

Hmmm. Therefore, ALL engineers are morally bankrupt.

The crappy capacitor manufacturers are merely supplying the market needs of the morally bankrupt engineers out there (which by the above reasoning, is everyone). A question best left to the philosophers  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:34:39 am by GNU_Ninja »

Offline continuoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 07:44:58 am »

I was a little bit in a trollish mood, sorry  ^-^

But what about these software engineers at Microsoft, Google and the NSA who develop all these tools to spy at us and watch our every move, are they morally bankrupt? Hmmm... Maybe I should open up another thread  >:D

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 07:49:27 am »
Your forum just got converted to a cry community.
As if morally high would be better.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2015, 12:30:37 pm »
Probably, although despite the rubbishing they get only the OP has as yet had a go at CapXon.

Is this because we don't all share his opinion?
Are CapXon somewhat better now than their reputation suggests?

I've only replaced 1 or2 of their caps in recent times and that was in OLD gear.
But I've replaced plenty of other obscure Asian brand caps.

If this leads to a informative discussion of members experiences, then where's the harm in that?

I'll give a go at them.  About 7 years ago when Dell had that huge problem with motherboards made with the caps, my company was caught up in it.  We had about 2500 OptiPlex GX-260 computers in the field and Dell paid us to go and change every motherboard and extended the extended warranty an extra year for the hassle.  About a year later, of course after the extended warranty ran out, we were having 15" LCD monitors failing.  We found out that they had the same crapxon caps in them.  I ended up replacing caps in a couple of hundred monitors.  We were initially sending them out for repair but a fellow tech and I decided to open one up ourselves and discovered we could fix them much cheaper ourselves with a faster turnover time.  Is the product better now?  No idea but if I found them in any device I would automatically replace them.  Doing a google search, I found a capacitor kit for repairing a Sharp monitor on Amazon.  It was pointed out in the description by the supplier that they don't use CapXon caps.  It seems to be a fairly new item as the questions asked were from 2014 and 2015.  I don't doubt that there are issues with other obscure Asian caps, but CapXon seems to be the most (in)famous.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 12:44:47 pm »

Tacking Morally Bankrupt to the back end of a phrase containing a company name is the new modular throwaway line.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 12:57:31 pm »
I have replaced hundreds of CapXon capacitors. I think that within limits, they may last, as I have seen some last for ages, but most of them don't last. Maybe the specifications are significantly exaggerated or in certain conditions their life is extremely poor.

Offline wblock

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 03:14:07 pm »
Around the 2006-2008 era when they had the bad fluid recipe, there were lots of bad capacitors.  Even good brands like Nichicon, Rubycon, and Chemi-con were affected.  The low-end brands were more likely to fail than usual.  Ones from before and after that era were, well, not good, but no worse than they were supposed to be.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 07:22:10 pm »
Around the 2006-2008 era when they had the bad fluid recipe, there were lots of bad capacitors.  Even good brands like Nichicon, Rubycon, and Chemi-con were affected.  The low-end brands were more likely to fail than usual.  Ones from before and after that era were, well, not good, but no worse than they were supposed to be.
Wasn't the bad recipe a result of industrial espionage?
Then those that were responsible for leaking the recipe are the morally bankrupt ones, right?

The damage and grief that they caused the electronc industry, the trashed appliances, filled landfills etc has to have had a far worse impact to the environment than some  :-/O to auto software, right?
Aren't we talking about millions, maybe billions of consumer appliances and the cost, repurchases and inconvenience to millions of users.  |O

And everybody wants to hang those responsible for the VW fiasco.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2015, 08:14:57 pm »
It's interesting. I've taken CapXon capacitors out of old monitors which were still working, measured the capacitance and they were within 10% of their marked value. I didn't test the ESR though.

Around a year ago I threw away a 2006 era motherboard which was still working, despite all of the swollen capacitors on it. Well I said it still worked, but the PC did crash more often than it should, which I put down to capacitor plague.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2015, 10:53:28 pm »
It's interesting. I've taken CapXon capacitors out of old monitors which were still working, measured the capacitance and they were within 10% of their marked value. I didn't test the ESR though.

Around a year ago I threw away a 2006 era motherboard which was still working, despite all of the swollen capacitors on it. Well I said it still worked, but the PC did crash more often than it should, which I put down to capacitor plague.

That is what we were experiencing.  The motherboards weren't dying, but random rebooting, USB issues and other mayhem and foolishness.  What was the painful part was that we had to replace over 2500 system boards in between our regular service calls.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2015, 11:02:57 pm »

That is what we were experiencing.  The motherboards weren't dying, but random rebooting, USB issues and other mayhem and foolishness.  What was the painful part was that we had to replace over 2500 system boards in between our regular service calls.
I re-capped a PC MB for a neighbour that most times would not boot, when it did boot, caps got that hot in seconds they would burn your finger.  :wtf:

And not one of them was a CapXon.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 04:38:34 am »

Hmmm. Therefore, ALL engineers are morally bankrupt.

The crappy capacitor manufacturers are merely supplying the market needs of the morally bankrupt engineers out there (which by the above reasoning, is everyone). A question best left to the philosophers  ;)

It's more likely that the engineers just design in a capacitor they know to work well and then they're replaced by the penny pinchers with a "that'll do" type of lower cost. Dave makes a similar remark on the PSU in one of the repair videos of a Samsung monitor, the PSU being designed rather well and then let down by the quality of the electrolytics that was probaby the result of the designer's choice being overruled by a moron who had to "optimize" design cost.

In industrial electronics, the use of no name brands seems to be a "no go". Most designs that go back a while use Vishay/BC if they originally had Philips caps, and the other brand I see the most used is Nichicon. Followed by Panasonic, Rubycon, Nippon Chemicon and Yageo.

In a recent tear down, there was a Lelon cap in the PSU of a Siglent scope and Dave made a negative remark about that one. I'm wondering about the validity as I have seen them being used in industrial electronics.

About CapXon specifically, I have yet to replace one of those. The most failures of swollen 'lytics I've come across are those green Low-ESR types of really obscure brands like e.g. JeWe...
I found similar cheap crap had failed in the plugpack of one of our JTAG testpods. Such an expensive device supplied with such a cheap PSU  :palm:.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 03:58:43 pm by jitter »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf