Author Topic: Covid 19 virus  (Read 207440 times)

Online Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Covid 19 virus
« Reply #1400 on: March 26, 2020, 10:20:19 pm »

The following users thanked this post: iMo

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1401 on: March 26, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »
The last patient that died here -> received in the hospital in poor condition, with cancer in terminal stage, no previous symptoms, not isolated, but out
of precaution tested for COVID,  found positive, dies afer an hour and is now counted as COVID victim. I mean, really  :palm: ? How many similar cases
are out there?

Not a lot is my guess.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1402 on: March 26, 2020, 10:28:57 pm »
Trump has called this the Chinese Virus and there are calls in the US for it to be renamed the Wuhan Virus. I am 100% OK with that on one condition - that the world renames the 1919 Spanish Flu either the American Flu or Kansas Flu, which killed an estimated 40 million innocent people. Because Kansas is where the first case of the 1919 flu was reported, not Spain.

People in glass houses should not throw stones.

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1403 on: March 26, 2020, 10:38:46 pm »
Ok, go ahead. I don't think anybody is all that worried about the Kansas flu. Luckily when I lived in Kansas I never got it. Usually looked like alcohol poisoning but the truth is easy to spot.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1404 on: March 26, 2020, 10:49:44 pm »
The last patient that died here -> received in the hospital in poor condition, with cancer in terminal stage, no previous symptoms, not isolated, but out
of precaution tested for COVID,  found positive, dies afer an hour and is now counted as COVID victim. I mean, really  :palm: ? How many similar cases
are out there?
OTOH in the NL doctors say that some deceased Covid-19 victims aren't counted because they wheren't tested for Corona but had several symptoms pointing towards being infected.

Meanwhile, the US is now number one in number of infected - "America first!" remember?
And thanks to governors such as that of Mississippi is trying to do its best to ramp up in the number of deaths, as well:
I'm getting the feeling the US is not going to try really hard to contain the Covid-19 virus from spreading in order to minimise the hit on the economy. Or put differently: it seems there just isn't enough money around to serve as a life boat for the economy.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:52:47 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1405 on: March 26, 2020, 10:51:25 pm »
It was already given a official name, nobody is going to rename it, so what is the point.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1406 on: March 26, 2020, 10:53:47 pm »
My latest summary of the WHO March 26 report, hot off the presses. This is for the 8 countries with the most confirmed cases. I also included some info I didn't have before.

Attached chart of deaths to date and new deaths for the US shows deaths to date (884) in yellow, and new deaths each day in dark blue.

- US remains #3 in total confirmed cases to date.

- US remains #6 in total confirmed cases as a % of population.

- US moved up one spot in number of total deaths to date as a % of population (from #8 to #7)

- For the last 4 days US has had a flat rate of approx. 200 new deaths total per day, except for the 24th when it had only 69 (about the same as the 19th thru the 22nd when it was flat with around 40-50 each day).

The conspicuous absence of Germany on that list seemed odd since I knw it had more cases than Iran, France, The Netherlands or the UK, so I took a closer look at the WHO report for that date: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200326-sitrep-66-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=81b94e61_2
The numbers match for the countries listed, but it's now obvious to me that you misinterpreted what the 2nd chart is. And fooled yourself into drawing the wrong conclusions.
The chart is actually the 8 countries with the most confirmed deaths, which is a different subset of countries than confirmed cases.

With either subset of countries, it's misleading to state deaths by % of population at all, unless that's also the criteria selecting the subset of countries you're looking at. For instance, if you look at the entire list, while the US is obviously on the rise, there are quite a few countries ahead of it when sorted by % deaths/population.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:06:26 pm by Nusa »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1407 on: March 26, 2020, 11:05:15 pm »
are out there?
OTOH in the NL doctors say that some deceased Covid-19 victims aren't counted because they wheren't tested for Corona but had several symptoms pointing towards being infected.

Meanwhile, the US is now number one in number of infected - "America first!" remember?
And thanks to governors such as that of Mississippi is trying to do its best to ramp up in the number of deaths, as well:
I'm getting the feeling the US is not going to try really hard to contain the Covid-19 virus from spreading in order to minimise the hit on the economy. Or put differently: it seems there just isn't enough money around to serve as a life boat for the economy.

It seems clear we won't know the real extent, we'll have the data we have and if there are errors due to reporting done differently then there may not be much to do about it since the bodies probably won't be dug back up, especially considering the sheer numbers.

As for the US it really depends. Each state is handling it the way they think is best. It's unlikely the federal government will be able to enforce anything since we don't have the manpower to do so. Each state is relying on the others to do the right thing. Sort of like the EU, each member is doing what they think is right.

Offline engrguy42

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1408 on: March 26, 2020, 11:54:44 pm »
My latest summary of the WHO March 26 report, hot off the presses. This is for the 8 countries with the most confirmed cases. I also included some info I didn't have before.

Attached chart of deaths to date and new deaths for the US shows deaths to date (884) in yellow, and new deaths each day in dark blue.

- US moved up one spot in number of total deaths to date as a % of population (from #8 to #7)

- For the last 4 days US has had a flat rate of approx. 200 new deaths total per day, except for the 24th when it had only 69 (about the same as the 19th thru the 22nd when it was flat with around 40-50 each day).

The conspicuous absence of Germany on that list seemed odd since I knw it had more cases than Iran, France, The Netherlands or the UK, so I took a closer look at the WHO report for that date: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200326-sitrep-66-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=81b94e61_2
The numbers match for the countries listed, but it's now obvious to me that you misinterpreted what the 2nd chart is. And fooled yourself into drawing the wrong conclusions.
The chart is actually the 8 countries with the most confirmed deaths, which is a different subset of countries than confirmed cases.

With either subset of countries, it's misleading to state deaths by % of population at all, unless that's also the criteria selecting the subset of countries you're looking at. For instance, if you look at the entire list, while the US is obviously on the rise, there are quite a few countries ahead of it when sorted by % deaths/population.

Yes, I missed Germany. Thanks. So I provide a bunch of data, and you are all free to add any missing data.

As far as "misinterpreting" and "fooling myself" and all the other wonderful stuff you said, let me suggest you tap the brakes a bit. I, unlike most others here, am trying to provide actual data, rather than drone on and on with irrelevant handwaving and ridiculous and irrelevant pseudo-facts solely to make themselves sound smart.

If you don't like the format or the conclusions, then I'm sure you are intelligent enough to draw your own conclusions. I don't owe you anything.

And perhaps even a mumbled "thanks for the info" might be more appropriate don't you think?
- The best engineers know enough to realize they don't know nuthin'...
- Those who agree with you can do no wrong. Those who disagree can do no right.
- I'm always amazed at how many people "already knew that" after you explain it to them in detail...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1409 on: March 26, 2020, 11:56:44 pm »
Is that an Arduino?

Yes, it is. Let us sincerely hope that the people playing with it are a step or two beyond relying on the Arduino's own software ecosystem.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: not1xor1, BrianHG

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1410 on: March 27, 2020, 12:09:50 am »

Yes, I missed Germany. Thanks. So I provide a bunch of data, and you are all free to add any missing data.

As far as "misinterpreting" and "fooling myself" and all the other wonderful stuff you said, let me suggest you tap the brakes a bit. I, unlike most others here, am trying to provide actual data, rather than drone on and on with irrelevant handwaving and ridiculous and irrelevant pseudo-facts solely to make themselves sound smart.

If you don't like the format or the conclusions, then I'm sure you are intelligent enough to draw your own conclusions. I don't owe you anything.

And perhaps even a mumbled "thanks for the info" might be more appropriate don't you think?

I really don't see anything in those comments that justifies you taking such a "chip on the shoulder" attitude to nusa and others. Perhaps you should be the one "tapping the brakes". If you want somewhere you can speak ex cathedra and expect applause for it, this isn't it.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Pluscrafter

• Regular Contributor
  • Somewere on earth
« Reply #1411 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:20 am »
What do you think about the situation in Switzerland and that they mobilises the army(up to 8000, yet 3000) for that reason. Also with the situation Switzerland is in some cases a centralized statethe rather than a federation. In my opinion the executives do a really good job. And there wasn't any speech from the Bundesratpräsident, like "we have a war against the virus" and they explain the next steps what and why the want to execute this rule. Luckily I can send my friend packages(only up to 5 Kg) without fee into the army so he gets enought chocolate.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1412 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:58 am »
I really don't see anything in those comments that justifies you taking such a "chip on the shoulder" attitude to nusa and others. Perhaps you should be the one "tapping the brakes". If you want somewhere you can speak ex cathedra and expect applause for it, this isn't it.
At first I was convinced a few people here are just stirring the pot, but now I'm wondering whether the situation is getting to them. It must be rough when your feelings aren't mirrored by the rest of the world.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1413 on: March 27, 2020, 02:39:56 am »

Unfortunately you might be right about that. It certainly doesn't appear that they've made much of an effort to contain it. More than a few in this forum have been calling for exactly that and in addition, the US government just spend a third of their annual budget today on give away programs to keep the peasants from revolting. And to top it all off they've also promised all sorts of tax exemptions so the tax revenue will be less than usual. 

I'm seriously thinking that I should go out and get the virus now while there's still a chance that I'll get treated at a functioning hospital.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1414 on: March 27, 2020, 02:47:16 am »

Unfortunately you might be right about that. It certainly doesn't appear that they've made much of an effort to contain it. More than a few in this forum have been calling for exactly that and in addition, the US government just spend a third of their annual budget today on give away programs to keep the peasants from revolting. And to top it all off they've also promised all sorts of tax exemptions so the tax revenue will be less than usual. 

I'm seriously thinking that I should go out and get the virus now while there's still a chance that I'll get treated at a functioning hospital.

If I weren't in bad shape now and high risk anyway I'd feel the same way.

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1415 on: March 27, 2020, 02:49:21 am »
  I'm considered high risk too but I still like my chances are better now than they will be in a couple of weeks.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1416 on: March 27, 2020, 04:06:43 am »
Man, it is surreal that we are living in time that makes people wish that kind of things...

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1417 on: March 27, 2020, 04:17:16 am »
Meanwhile in South Africa...

Attempted murder charge
As a warning shot to anyone thinking defying the order, police on Wednesday revealed that a businessman had been arrested for disobeying a doctor's instruction to self-quarantine for 14 days.

The 52-year-old was detained in hospital, and charged with attempted murder for endangering the lives of almost 30 people he had interacted with subsequent to the doctor's instruction, police said.

"Attempted murder", no less than...

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1418 on: March 27, 2020, 06:39:13 am »
Meanwhile in South Africa...

Attempted murder charge
As a warning shot to anyone thinking defying the order, police on Wednesday revealed that a businessman had been arrested for disobeying a doctor's instruction to self-quarantine for 14 days.

The 52-year-old was detained in hospital, and charged with attempted murder for endangering the lives of almost 30 people he had interacted with subsequent to the doctor's instruction, police said.

"Attempted murder", no less than...

That is pretty tough. If it were South Africa here, the NSW Health Minister could be charged with mass manslaughter.

The 2,700 passengers on the Ruby Princess Cruise ship were recently allowed to disembark in Sydney without being quarantined, tested or even bring told that there were passengers on board who showed the symptoms. The passengers were told FOUR days by the bungling government they have to quarantine. At least 150 of the passengers now have the virus and who knows how many others they have infected. One has died already.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1419 on: March 27, 2020, 06:57:51 am »
162 tested positive from the Ruby Princess.. and counting :palm:.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: March 27, 2020, 07:30:57 am »
I really don't see anything in those comments that justifies you ...

Whereas I did quite easily.

Perhaps the better way to comment would have been to ask which bit he took exception to rather than just saying he's wrong and compounding the issue? :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:32:40 am by dunkemhigh »

Offline not1xor1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1421 on: March 27, 2020, 07:44:57 am »

that's playing Russian roulette
even young and healthy people are dying all around the world
now in Italy we have a 18 years old boy in ICU (induced coma)
yesterday somebody wrote here about a 21 years old girl in UK
China showed what is the best strategy and while your country might ignore that you'd better comply with that as much as you can.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1422 on: March 27, 2020, 08:02:06 am »
  I'm considered high risk too but I still like my chances are better now than they will be in a couple of weeks.

People who get this virus deliberately should be charged with terrorism, attempted mass murder and buried or burnt alive!
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1423 on: March 27, 2020, 08:38:31 am »
People who get this virus deliberately should be charged with terrorism, attempted mass murder

Just a week ago that was essentially the UK's plan (have people catch it, not the charging bit), albeit in a limited random way. Amazing how quickly the situation changes, and how long ago a short time seems!

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1424 on: March 27, 2020, 08:42:17 am »
People who get this virus deliberately should be charged with terrorism, attempted mass murder

Just a week ago that was essentially the UK's plan (have people catch it, not the charging bit), albeit in a limited random way. Amazing how quickly the situation changes, and how long ago a short time seems!

Source?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf