Author Topic: Countless tempting projects, yet none really needed, now what?  (Read 1771 times)

Online RoGeorgeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Countless tempting projects, yet none really needed, now what?
« on: October 12, 2023, 03:19:48 pm »
You see something interesting to learn, or to build, then search a little about it.  Maybe you read an article about it, maybe simulate something, or plug a few components in a breadboard, etc., but then you realize you don't really have a use for it.

Or, if you really need the device, then most probably it can be bought ready made.  With more performance and for less money than your DIY.  :-//

Not to say that the abundance of online excellence can be a bummer.  You always find pictures and videos of very elaborated projects similar with yours.  The bar was already raised to the max, and you realize you will never have the time/skills/equipment to do anything like that.

The result is that most of the projects die right after the research phase.
Anybody else noticed such trend?

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
Re: Countless tempting projects, yet none really needed, now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 04:20:40 pm »
That has been the general trend in electronics. As things have gotten more complex and cheaper, most of it is not even worth repairing anymore, let alone designing and building.

This has effected the hobbyist world too. The motivation of being able to build something cheaper, and maybe better, than most commercial gear is long gone. Kids can no longer wow their friends with a flashing LED, DIY radio, etc. I guess if you enjoy the process of designing, building, etc, that on it's own could be motivation enough. Or maybe if you wanted something custom, unique, extra high quality, etc.
I think it also comes for getting older and generally being more satisfied with what you already have.

Maybe my next project should be a "Nerd Nanny AI" that blocks all IP traffic about cool projects on the internet. Then I'll be able to concentrate on my own "unique" ideas.  ;D

« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 04:23:10 pm by Kim Christensen »

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 05:14:20 pm »
Yeah, it does seem to be a growing trend - solutions looking for problems - and it's why often we see project promoted on places like hackaday that seem somewhat overkill/overengineered or not really worth it.

With that said there are plenty of hobbies that lend themselves to DIY electronics - music, guitar effect pedals, synths, audio gear, RC models etc..  I have even built custom HID devices for gaming. All of these have such variation that commericial products dont' always solve the problem - but sometimes theres a half measure - buy and modify.

You see a lot of the "build for the sake of building" in metrology.  It's a hobby, and the product is useful, but how many different voltage standards does one need :)  This is meant as no criticism, I don't need 170 different kind of LCD/plasma displays with custom drivers/controllers, but here we are.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 05:27:32 pm »
Indeed, disposable electronics and high integration changed the electronics hobby a lot.  Won't be long until one chip will do it all, with nothing to build, only software to reconfigure the functionality.

Maybe getting a new hobby, then?  :D

The AI field is very effervescent right now, just that I'm not attracted to it.  Something else?

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 05:30:33 pm »
In the beginning, electronics didn't even involve code.  Today, many (most) projects involve some form of uC.  Projects are more complex than they were in the 50's when I started playing with this stuff. 
Fantastic!  I can substitute code for parts!

It's still possible to build hardware based projects but the features list will be much shorter than the similar uC based project.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to find stacked potentiometers or ganged variable capacitors.

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 05:38:06 pm »
Indeed, disposable electronics and high integration changed the electronics hobby a lot.  Won't be long until one chip will do it all, with nothing to build, only software to reconfigure the functionality.

FPGAs come close!

Maybe getting a new hobby, then?  :D

The AI field is very effervescent right now, just that I'm not attracted to it.  Something else?

Defiinitely something that interests me.  My math background probably isn't strong enough but the Python libraries make up for my failings.  MATLAB is another way to go - Neural Networks are very clean.  But it's all code.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 06:19:40 pm »
I'm not sure how easy it would be to find stacked potentiometers or ganged variable capacitors.

They are still around, but pricey.  For example the tuning air capacitor from a typical analog radio is now about $50.  :scared:

Going vintage and/or analog-only is always an option, just that I was around when all was analog, so not much "exploration hype" in that type of projects.  Not seeking nostalgia.  No idea what I'm complaining about, just that it feels like doing electronic projects lately is going dull for me.

Need something that brings the "discovery kick".  Get plenty of this from things I don't know, like physics or math, but I would like something that implies getting hands dirty, building/experimenting with the physical world, not only on paper or in a software simulation.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 07:17:32 pm »
The result is that most of the projects die right after the research phase.
Anybody else noticed such trend?
Yes. And the best remedy is to become a contractor for small projects. You get to work on all kinds of projects and once they get really big, they get taken over by a team and you have time for the next wonderfull thing that lands on your desk. Endless joy.  ;D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2023, 09:26:11 pm »
The joy is in the jorney.  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2023, 09:45:56 pm »
The joy is in the jorney.  :-+

Yes, which is why we often end up with many unfinished projects.

The following users thanked this post: Smokey

Offline pqass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 06:00:23 am »
There are different goals at play.

You don't need or want a productionized implementation for every design idea you come across. A simulation or one-of-kind prototype may be enough to internalize it.  It'll be in preparation for your Magnum Opus one day.

If you come across an existing implementation that meets your needs, that you can use to leverage in pursuit of another goal, buy it. You don't want to spend most of your time building your tools.

Because someone can [now] produce a well executed implementation doesn't mean your effort will be worthless. If you go the build route, do so to prove your mastery. It will never be identical. We riff off each other to evolve the state of the art.

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 07:04:19 am »
The only way to really learn a thing is to do the thing. 

If you make a habit of taking the opportunity to do some new thing, it opens up the possibilities for the next new thing down the line. 

Watching Youtube videos of other people doing things is no substitute for actually doing the thing yourself.

The following users thanked this post: SiliconWizard

Offline woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 09:09:35 am »
I don't consider any hobby project a waste of time, no matter how far it progresses - or not. The experience you build up doing it is invaluable. The hardware and software snippets you create doing so can be used again in paying projects. Confidence and enthusiasm are two things that go down well with customers.

The following users thanked this post: janoc

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2023, 07:05:16 pm »
One thing you can try for "new" ideas in electronics is looking at the datasheet of one of the fancy "does it all for you" chips for something like a sensor application, then have a go at building up circuits from more ordinary components to replicate the same functionality (albeit with much more board area and perhaps reduced performance on some (though usually not all) measures.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2023, 11:47:00 pm »
Or, if you really need the device, then most probably it can be bought ready made.  With more performance and for less money than your DIY.  :-//
Try to focus on obscure and/or high margin areas, that's where DIY ends up cheaper more often. One great example are those $30 TPA3255 amplifier boards, the same boards already installed in an enclosure get marked up a lot more than the cost of the enclosure. While you're at it, you could pick an enclosure big enough to hold some other boards like a power supply and DAC, giving you the option to customize.

Then there's the middle ground between "DIY from scratch" and "buy a product that does what you need out of the box". Most commonly, that would be buying something and modifying it. A great example would be modding LED bulbs to run at lower power for improved lifetime. Or reflashing off the shelf products with community developed open source software.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2023, 09:17:10 am »
I have a few project ideas running around in my head but I just find that by the time I work out the parts costs it becomes an overpriced solution. Worse bit is the parts are expensive not because they are hard to make quality parts but becuase I am not buying them by the thousands so the suppliers charge a stupid price for them.

I miss the project kits you would see in magazines. I enjoyed those as they were fun soldering practice and if I got it right it worked. Now most things are a smd board with 99% of stuff on there.

Recently I have been looking at putting together a weather station as I miss my old one I had from Maplin. But this time I want to be able to log the data at home as well as send it online. The challenge is working out what setup will do what I want without becoming obsolete and not spending silly money getting it going.

I have a few projects that I need to finish off over this winter as I didn't get them finished last year.

Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2023, 02:34:33 pm »
One of the biggest stumbling blocks for many of my projects is indecision. 

As much as the old timers complain about software and fast micros ruining things - we really do live in the best times for hobby electornics, with a huge range of very cheap parts and prebuilt modules available almost everywhere. 

The only downside of such an abundance of solutions is - theres no real restriction on the number of ways to achieve something, so instead of being forced to use, say, TTL logic or a cheap opamp for a solution we now have to choose between many possible designs, all of which are pretty cheap and easily avaiable. So there often isn't any need to be "clever" with what you have, its just quicker, and easier to throw an Arduino or Pi at something.   Sure you can design it differently for the sake of being different, but often that requires more time, which is great for a hobby, but if you're sharing the project so others can build, it'll just be another hurdle for them.

When I first replied to this thread I checked my notes to see how many projects were started but incomplete, that is, on-going - anywhere from already bought the parts for it to half finished prototype board or written a library, but not a main code and it's easily over 30  :palm:

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2023, 03:28:53 pm »
I have a room full of unfinished projects
and also collecting more test gear to do the projects. got My fourth oscilloscope.
now have My own electronics store at home! just a hobby.  ;D
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2023, 09:13:03 pm »
I have a room full of unfinished projects

My opinion is that we start projects to learn how to do a thing.  Once we feel like we understand the thing, actually "finishing" the project is no longer a high priority.  That's how I explain my 3/4 finished project graveyard at least.

Note: I'm talking personal hobby stuff here.  Business stuff is all business.  But the skills from the personally hobby stuff often end up in the business stuff.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 04:28:24 am by Smokey »

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2023, 03:07:33 am »
Sounds a little like (mild) depression, and I do similar approach, gauging how useful the project might be.  Musicians have long complained about creativity issues.

Sense of humor helps.  All the while, when I tried really hard, to invent some electrical device, or (commercial) software innovation...all that time, my landlord, apartment building owner, was a...Patent Attorney.  An irony I noticed, as a struggling inventor / Engineer.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2023, 07:02:21 am »
Sounds a little like (mild) depression, and I do similar approach, gauging how useful the project might be.  Musicians have long complained about creativity issues.
been looking for a use of all my 100+ 555 ic's well somebody did it.  :-+

Making an NE555 based synthesizer - parts 1 to 5 on youtube.  keeping it simple unlike most op amp analog music synthesizer circuits from the 1980s.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:05:54 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline woofy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Woofys Place
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2023, 08:50:38 am »
I think the 555 must be the most ubiquitous chip I've never used.  At one point it seemed every magazine project used one.
Ah well, probably never will now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf