Author Topic: Collet chuck for ML-360 lathe  (Read 390 times)

Offline xzswq21Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Collet chuck for ML-360 lathe
« on: August 20, 2024, 11:05:57 am »
Hello,
I have a Sakai/Toyo ML-360 lathe machine, but I haven't found any collet chuck for the lathe, actually the collet chuck is discontinued for the lathe and I really need one. Does anyone has a collet chuck for the ML-360 lathe?
Thanks
❤ ❤

Offline mag_therm

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Collet chuck for ML-360 lathe
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 12:25:39 pm »
RDG Tools UK has a straight shank chuck set plus various other.
You could email him about adaptor options for the ML360.

The following users thanked this post: xzswq21

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 12:40:36 pm »
From what I found on the Internet, it looks like the spindle has a typical MT2 taper (attachment + translation error).  Collet chucks for that taper are quite common.  My Prazi 300 has the same.  You may want the MT2 taper to have a female threaded end for a draw bar.  Unless you already have one, a draw bar is usually hollow, so I used  an appropriate size  (about 3/8" OD) of cold roll steel tube to make mine.  If you aren't sure what I mean, respond.  I will take a picture of it.

EDIT:  Here's one on Amazon for a reasonable price.  You will need ER25 collets.  It's "precision" so it must be good.  ;)

https://www.amazon.com/ER25-Collet-Chuck-Taper-Shank/dp/B0CKHG81D9
« Last Edit: August 20, 2024, 12:46:30 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline mag_therm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 01:17:46 pm »
Yes, a drawbar is needed for helical milling cutters.
I just use Jacobs chucks here.  8 ~10mm mills will pull the MT2 loose.
I have a larger Jacobs with the 1.5 by 8 nose for the South Bend, but it does not close below about 3mm.

(This query should be in the mechanical section ?)

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 02:00:45 pm »
A drawbar works fine with the MT2 collet chuck for turning and threading both directions on my SD300.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:31:40 am »
From what I found on the Internet, it looks like the spindle has a typical MT2 taper (attachment + translation error).  Collet chucks for that taper are quite common.  My Prazi 300 has the same.  You may want the MT2 taper to have a female threaded end for a draw bar.  Unless you already have one, a draw bar is usually hollow, so I used  an appropriate size  (about 3/8" OD) of cold roll steel tube to make mine.  If you aren't sure what I mean, respond.  I will take a picture of it.

EDIT:  Here's one on Amazon for a reasonable price.  You will need ER25 collets.  It's "precision" so it must be good.  ;)

How should I lock the draw bar in the spindle?

❤ ❤

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Today at 07:59:39 am »
❤ ❤

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:00:33 am »

How should I lock the draw bar in the spindle?

From the back of the spindle through bore....
sorta like this: https://www.greensandmachines.com/2014/07/5-c-collet-cloture-part-2-draw-bar.html

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:25:40 am »
I don't have any milling machine and a lathe to cut steel material.
❤ ❤

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:00:53 am »
https://www.lathes.co.uk/toyo/index.html

http://www.manix.co.kr/new/build/product_list.php?boardT=v&page_idx=60&goods_data=aWR4PTI4JnRhYmxlPXJlZF9nb29kcyZwYWdlX2lkeD02MCZzZWFyY2hfaXRlbT0=%7C%7C&act=eng

The Manix company doesn't respond any emails and they don't produce the collet chuck and vertical milling table anymore, the both accessories are discontinued.

Read in more detail. It was sold as Proxxon PD360. That means that maybe even PD400 collet holder might be a fit.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Today at 09:20:14 am »
I don't have any milling machine and a lathe to cut steel material.

Attached are images from my Pazi installation.  They should be not need  explanation and were made entirely on the lathe with which they are used.  No additional tools were used, except a hack saw to cut the draw bar to approximate length.

Note the "thrust washer" between the knurled knob and adapter/spacer (not blackened) on drawbar.  The knurled knob was purchased finished.

It seems you do not have a lathe based on your most recent post.  The lathe you mention is perfectly OK for cutting steel.  Why do you need a collet chuck for it? I got my first lathe when I was 14 and used it for years with just a 4-jaw chuck and no collet chuck.  I was 30+ when I got a very used South Bend 9" with 3-jaw chuck.   It was years later before I added collets.  First get the lathe.  Learn how to use it and how to center your work accurately.  Then consider attachments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf