Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 15181 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Coffee
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2020, 12:53:38 pm »
Guatemala Antigua coffee is my favorite all around drinking coffee. Its naturally lower in caffeine with a very well balanced taste. Brewed in my french press its just perfect.

Also, I love chocolate covered roasted coffee beans. They are naturally caffeinated.

Although coffee doesnt grow natively in California (its originally from Africa) there are many cultivated trees, and its grown commercially in Hawaii,  which is the source for some very rich, mild coffee a lot like Guatemalan coffee. But its pretty expensive, and also California. also, I bet also Puerto Rico.

It can grow in a cool coastal climate as long as it doesnt freeze hard it does okay. It likes heat but not extreme heat.

Some microclimates in California are good for coffee.  Many many years ago, my mother had two friends who lived in the Escondito area, on Palomar Mountain near Pauma Valley. It was really a paradise there. This couple had an incredible garden and they grew and roasted their own coffee which I remembered for a long time. It was a quite amazing taste. Also, a while ago, more than a decade ago,  I lost my sense of smelll due to toxic mold for over a year, and the smell of coffee was the first (glorious) smell that I remember smelling when it finally came back. I was in a coffee and tea store. I'll never forget that moment, or that smell. I felt like I had been reborn.

This imprinting is actually why coffee evolved its caffeine, to make pollinators remember where they found the delicious pollen, or so I was told by an particularly knowledgeable analytical chemist. Related chemicals are involved when people fall in love.

If you know what coffee looks like you can and will recognize it growing ornamentally in California in many places. For example on the UCB campus near Euclid,  I am pretty sure Ive seen it's distinctive berries and color.

If you live in an appropriate climate it would definitely be fun to grow, harvest and roast your own organic coffee.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 01:38:26 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2020, 11:45:25 pm »
I actually use an EEVBlog BM235 thermocouple to measure the temp(no joke). Ive been a lurker on the forum for 8+ years, and it was coffee that finally induced me to sign up and post.  :palm: Im no shill, I design pcbs for a living. Also, my favourite coffee, kicking horse!

My roommate once walked into the kitchen to find me using a thermocouple probe and my Tektronix DMM916 multimeter as a candy thermometer.  After that, I was never allowed to cook for anybody again.

Although coffee doesnt grow natively in California (its originally from Africa) there are many cultivated trees, and its grown commercially in Hawaii,  which is the source for some very rich, mild coffee a lot like Guatemalan coffee. But its pretty expensive, and also California. also, I bet also Puerto Rico.

I have read that coffee originated in Ethiopia.  I bought a bag of arabica coffee beans produced in Ethiopian and one cup was enough.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2020, 02:06:13 am »
I actually use an EEVBlog BM235 thermocouple to measure the temp(no joke). Ive been a lurker on the forum for 8+ years, and it was coffee that finally induced me to sign up and post.  :palm: Im no shill, I design pcbs for a living. Also, my favourite coffee, kicking horse!

My roommate once walked into the kitchen to find me using a thermocouple probe and my Tektronix DMM916 multimeter as a candy thermometer.  After that, I was never allowed to cook for anybody again.

I use my 121GW and probe in my meat smoker.

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2020, 02:21:05 am »

I use my 121GW and probe in my meat smoker.

Quoted for posterity.
 :)
iratus parum formica

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2020, 12:37:27 am »
Enjoy coffee while you can.
Coffee is quite hard on the digestive tract and it's common to find you can no longer drink it later in life due to abdominal pains.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2020, 12:39:47 am »
On the subject of thermal probes and cooking. Here's some donuts i deep fried once using the electric wok and DMM
 :-DD

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2020, 01:45:43 am »
Coffee is quite hard on the digestive tract and it's common to find you can no longer drink it later in life due to abdominal pains.

I have never heard that. Coffee is hot water with trace chemicals. My Dad's 95 and drinks it every day,
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2020, 10:08:35 am »
I had problems with coffee when I hit 40. This turned out not to be the coffee but the milk and sugar. So I only drink it fresh, black and no sugar now. No problems at all any more.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2020, 10:47:10 am »
Slight necropost here, prompted by this thread reviving overall.

This imprinting is actually why coffee evolved its caffeine, to make pollinators remember where they found the delicious pollen, or so I was told by an particularly knowledgeable analytical chemist.

I think your "particularly knowledgeable analytical chemist" should stick to chemistry and not stray into biochemistry or biology. Caffeine, like most of the plant alkaloids that we use for fun and medicine evolved as a plant poison. "Caffeine in plants acts as a natural pesticide: it can paralyze and kill predator insects feeding on the plant." It's not there to give insects a 'buzz' and make them come back, it's there to poison them and make them buzz off! Ditto opium, strychnine, nicotine and so on.

Related chemicals are involved when people fall in love.

Erm, again nope! The so called 'love hormone' is oxytocin, involved in bonding of all sorts, which is a poly-peptide and is nothing like caffeine - either chemically or in effect. In fact being a poly-peptide, if taken by mouth it would just be digested (the same reason insulin has to be injected rather than taken orally).

Caffeine:   Oxytocin:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:51:24 am by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2020, 10:48:17 am »

I have never heard that. Coffee is hot water with trace chemicals. My Dad's 95 and drinks it every day,

Yeah, it's Tea that will kill you. Have you seen what it does to the inside of a teapot?  ;)

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2020, 11:12:18 am »

Yeah, it's Tea that will kill you. Have you seen what it does to the inside of a teapot?  ;)

Here is my spout..

edit: Hey why can't I upload my picture!

;)
iratus parum formica

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2020, 05:03:52 pm »

Sure is. There's an entire thread in this forum dedicated to TEA and its psychological and financial distresses.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2020, 05:22:32 pm »

Sure is. There's an entire thread in this forum dedicated to TEA and its psychological and financial distresses.

No, Tea will kill you; TEA will get the wife to kill you.

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2020, 06:50:40 pm »

No, Tea will kill you; TEA will get the wife to kill you.

There is No Know cure for TEA poisoning . 

"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2020, 08:30:52 pm »
To my taste, espresso and espresso drinks are the best way to enjoy coffee. Making espresso requires a good commercial espresso machine, freshly ground beans and good barista who will not mess up with the process and the temperature. This is something that is hard to come by here in New England. I really miss Melbourne coffee shops and cafes. At home, I find Nespresso to be as close to espresso as it can get, without commercial equipment. Nespresso’s Arpeggio is pretty good.

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2020, 11:48:14 am »
To my taste, espresso and espresso drinks are the best way to enjoy coffee. Making espresso requires a good commercial espresso machine, freshly ground beans and good barista who will not mess up with the process and the temperature. This is something that is hard to come by here in New England. I really miss Melbourne coffee shops and cafes. At home, I find Nespresso to be as close to espresso as it can get, without commercial equipment. Nespresso’s Arpeggio is pretty good.

When I brew coffee I usually blend about half Columbian and the other half either Espresso or French Roast.  I actually bought a bunch of these ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BF83S8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) and I measure out 45g of coffee beans for each of them so I can go a couple weeks without having to measure anything.  Get's me about 3 cups at a strength that works for my taste most of the time.  I could up that to, maybe 55g or even 60g but coffee isn't cheap -- I guess I spend about $24/month just on beans at 45g per pot (3-cups).

Brian

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2020, 05:22:10 am »
Its true about coffee, I used to drink a ton of it a day meaning maybe two pints per sitting at least twice, and it was strong lower haight street coffee. Now I have to go really easy on it. I had one late this morning, much earlier today and now its bedtime and my stomach acid is way too high to go to bed now. If I lie down now, I get reflux, I had too much. Dont do what I did and drink too much for too long

Now I also have to drink mild, like guatamala antigua is my favorite coffee, grown on the slope of a volcano
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf