Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 15185 times)

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
Re: Coffee
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2020, 12:10:18 am »
Decaf has its place for people with heart conditions. And there is more people buy it than you may think.

I get that, and I'll drink some myself, on rare occasion. I mean as a recreational drink for the masses, it's pretty much as worthwhile as drinking coloured water, but yes it's better than nothing if you have health issues. But then, unless it's the "Swiss water process" I don't see much health in the solvent-based decaffeination process, ugh.

Hey, I'm far from a coffee snob, save to say that I'll draw the line at buying own-brand supermarket instant junk (and DEFINITELY avoid Aldi/Lidl stocked stuff - may as well drink muddy water).

Lavazza instant is very nice, Nescafé is pretty nice too, and Lavazza beans are lush, "Qualita Rossa" are 1Kg/~£12 online, and also Amazon's own "Solimo" beans turned out to be the only ones I had left in my cupboard, recently, so I gave those a second chance, having told myself "any port in a storm" when my Lavazza (and money!) ran out.

I lowered my expectations, and told myself not to be such a picky snob, and my brain fell for it, they're not too bad **if you have no choice**

I'd never CHOOSE Solimo over anything, but they're fine when you tell yourself "it's these or nothing", and I don't plan to waste the 2Kg of beans Amazon told me to keep, gratis, I don't like waste.

Offline SpecialK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2020, 03:26:59 am »
I use a Melitta Joe pour over.  Am I the only one?  Melitta coffee is also very good.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2020, 04:15:17 am »
I've heard this is because migraines happen when blood vessels are enlarged and caffeine constricts blood vessels.  That constriction helps stop headaches for some people but for others the overshoot when the caffeine wears off causes enlarged blood vessels and headaches.

It is easy enough to show that is not the case; coffee now gives me a migraine but *not* caffeine by itself, and I was careful to distinguish them in my post.  My other very reliable migraine triggers are red wine and Champaign, but not other alcoholic beverages.

The other problem with your hypothesis is the relationship between migraine headaches and scintillating scotomas.  They may occur separately or together but both have the same cause which brings up the question of how to distinguish a migraine from just a bad headache; in my case, a migraine or scintillating scotoma is followed by a mildly unpleasant feeling of euphoria.  Migraines are not just bad headaches; they are different in kind and not scale.

The thing which baffles me is why I became sensitive to coffee over a period of decades, while wine or Champaign was always a trigger.  What changed?  Or was age enough?

My favorite coffee was Trader Joe's Bay Blend through a coffee press.  My favorite coffee shop coffee was a mocha from Diedrich Coffee (Southern California) before they were replaced with Starbucks' trash.  Why would a coffee shop go to all of the effort of making a mocha, and then not put real whipped cream on it?

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2020, 01:14:03 pm »
If this could be considered coffee.  I'm suffering through a cup of swill at Tim Hortons doing the work from home or wherever thing from my laptop while the car's oil is getting changed.  Actually, on that note, maybe the Tim Hortons is selling the waste oil from the garage and calling it coffee?  That would explain a lot.

So, coffee.  Yes.  But not instant, not Tim Hortons unless it can't be avoided, not Starbucks unless it can't be avoided.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2020, 07:10:47 pm »
I always liked the coffee from McDonald's and Duncan Donuts the few times I had it; I suspect it was too mild for real coffee lovers though.  Instant coffee like Taster's Choice is also mild in comparison.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2020, 11:20:18 pm »
Yeah the McDonald's filter coffee is pretty good if you get it from a busy high-turnover place. It doesn't do well when it's been sitting around for hours. Nothing does I guess.

I liked it enough to buy the beans, and it worked great in my Saeco. I really should repair it...
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2020, 08:40:16 am »
Yup McCoffee is good shit here too.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2020, 04:19:12 am »
Yeah the McDonald's filter coffee is pretty good if you get it from a busy high-turnover place. It doesn't do well when it's been sitting around for hours. Nothing does I guess.

I liked it enough to buy the beans, and it worked great in my Saeco. I really should repair it...

I seem to recall that Duncan Donuts made their beans available.  I think one of my friends used them and they were really good.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunkin-Donuts-Original-Blend-Coffee/dp/B000YJMQDQ

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2020, 04:36:10 am »
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2020, 01:09:07 pm »
I use a Melitta Joe pour over.  Am I the only one?  Melitta coffee is also very good.

Here. Not exactly that one, but same same.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline ThomasTheTenor

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2020, 03:18:15 pm »
I personally use an Aeropress. Its a pour over coffee maker with a plunger. All you need is water heated to ~82C, a filter and a couple scoops of grinds. Coffee is very good. I bought it when I went camping, and have used it everyday since! I would highly recommend!

Offline Labrat101

• Regular
  • Renovating Old Test Equipment & Calibration ..
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2020, 06:02:41 pm »
Quote from: Bud on September 03, 2020, 10:42:30 pm

Decaf has its place for people with heart conditions. And there is more people buy it than you may think.

Drinking coffee without caffeine is like Beer without alcohol  .
   Pointless..  water would have the same effect  .. and cheaper  :-DD
 I live on coffee ..  :popcorn:  30 cups minimum per day  :popcorn:
"   All Started With A BIG Bang!! .  .   & Magic Smoke  ".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2020, 09:50:48 pm »
   Pointless.. 

My Dad's 95 and he drinks the alcohol-free beers by the case. I'm pretty happy he has that option.

He's literally this  :popcorn:

There's popcorn and cheesepuffs all over the place when I visit!

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2020, 10:40:32 pm »
Quote from: Bud on September 03, 2020, 10:42:30 pm

Pointless..  water would have the same effect  .. and cheaper  :-DD
 I live on coffee ..  :popcorn:  30 cups minimum per day  :popcorn:
Do you drink alcohol for enjoyment or to get drunk ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2020, 10:45:25 pm »
I personally use an Aeropress. Its a pour over coffee maker with a plunger. All you need is water heated to ~82C, a filter and a couple scoops of grinds. Coffee is very good. I bought it when I went camping, and have used it everyday since! I would highly recommend!
Dear Aeropress shil,
Do you supply a thermometer calibrated to 82C with your product? 

Offline ThomasTheTenor

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2020, 11:02:05 pm »
I actually use an EEVBlog BM235 thermocouple to measure the temp(no joke). Ive been a lurker on the forum for 8+ years, and it was coffee that finally induced me to sign up and post.  :palm: Im no shill, I design pcbs for a living. Also, my favourite coffee, kicking horse!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, SilverSolder, Ian.M, SpecialK

Offline Georg - PY5ZSE

• Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2020, 11:04:28 pm »
considering where I live...
whatever one of the neighbours grows and roasts.
This area (western Paraná) used to be a major coffe growing area, but apparently cattle, soybeans and sugar cane pay better for the farmers.  Still, many of them have a few rows of plants for ther own consumption and family and friends.

Offline Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2020, 12:39:41 am »
Costco Kirkland  100% Colombian coffee

I like it.

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2020, 03:51:23 am »
And speaking of bad coffee...

Here in the states we have coffee vending machines that produce the most terrible swill on the planet.  I'm not sure what goes into to the coffee part, presumably there is some actual coffee but it would be hard to justify that when tasting it.  Then, to top things off, when you add milk/cream it's not called milk or cream but, instead, "whitener"  -- WTF is whitener?

Brian

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2020, 05:44:43 am »
my favourite coffee, kicking horse!o

"Sweet"  :-//
Dont we have sugar for that...

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2020, 05:54:20 am »

Here in the states we have coffee vending machines that produce the most terrible swill on the planet.  I'm not sure what goes into to the coffee part, presumably there is some actual coffee but it would be hard to justify that when tasting it.  Then, to top things off, when you add milk/cream it's not called milk or cream but, instead, "whitener"  -- WTF is whitener?

Some people avoid milk, so the sneaky shops call it whitener. My theory  :)

Speaking of which, they should better come up with a politically correct name  ::) 

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2020, 09:09:07 am »
IIRC Coffee whitener is much like paint - pigment in an organic binder usually some sort of hydrogenated vegetable oil.  I believe Titanium dioxide is or was used for its whiteness as part of the pigment mixture.  If so, no problem - its pretty much biologically inert, and vastly preferable to chalk!

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2020, 10:43:52 am »
Be careful with (too much) coffee.  :-DD

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2020, 10:49:50 am »

Brian

Yup. These are terrible, same over here. Fun story: At university we had machines that not only served coffee and some kind of cocoa but also broth. Rumor has it that there's no actual ingredients for the broth in the machine but that it's the product of the cleansing cycle the machine performs occasionally.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Mark19960

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2020, 12:41:53 pm »
I'm English so tea is a thing but I have given it up for coffee.
I was talking to my mum a couple of weeks ago that had not realised I gave it up and she was shocked and dismayed.

But I get coffee out of a Keurig. To my mates that are coffee connoisseurs those are considered blasphemous. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf