Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 15183 times)

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
Re: Coffee
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 03:04:44 am »
We get a weekly delivery of beans from a local roastery.

I grind them and convert that into coffee using one of these (pic from the www):

The following users thanked this post: thinkfat

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2020, 05:22:19 am »
Apples and oranges. Coffee culture is pretty different in different parts of the world (even if global brands make things sound vaguely similar). Europe, North America, South America, Asia just can not compare except to say “anything different than what I know sucks”. I bet people not from North America are wondering what do MsDonalds (or Starbucks for that matter) have anything to do with good coffee.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2020, 05:42:01 am »
I had to give up coffee over the past several years because I became more and more sensitive to it triggering migraine headaches.  It got to the point where every morning I woke with a migraine and scintillating scotomas were occurring several times a week. (1)

I was never particularly picky about coffee as long as it was Arabic.

(1) Caffeine by itself is not a problem for me but coffee contains a lot of other alkaloids.

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2020, 08:21:46 am »
More important than anything is how it is made.

Instant coffee tastes awful.  In any brand.  Never liked it.

We use an espresso machine to make even large drinks of coffee.  High pressure steam/water at 14bar through dried ground coffee of any brand wins over instant.  We currently use Lavazza Rossa.
I am curious about the price of the machine. I am not a coffee drinker but a friend of mine said he paid $6K for his coffee machine.

Ours cost £100.  They range in price from £50 to £1000, and we definitely got one of the cheaper models.  My brother has an £800 model and, I'll be honest, I can just about taste the difference because he's got fine pressure control and the beans get slightly less overdone, but it really is quite minimal and if you have sugar or sweetener with your coffee like I do you'll never notice it.

I had to give up coffee over the past several years because I became more and more sensitive to it triggering migraine headaches.  It got to the point where every morning I woke with a migraine and scintillating scotomas were occurring several times a week. (1)

A friend of mine suffers from migraines, and interestingly enough he's noticed that coffee makes them less worse, or eliminates them altogether. He gets good sleep and is otherwise healthy.  He took a month off drinking coffee, believing the migraines to cause it, but they just got more frequent and intense.  Two cups a day, keeps the migraine away :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:23:40 am by tom66 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 08:24:20 am »
I'm lazy. This off Amazon and a simple Bodum press. That's about 6 months for £18

And quite honestly I can't tell the difference between the above and anything more expensive or freshly ground. Only thing that is terrible is instant coffee.

I suspect it's like wine: mostly bullshit :popcorn:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 08:26:14 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2020, 11:12:51 am »
Being from Brasil, I was used to very good coffee (Café do Ponto Aralto), but after I moved here I tried many things until I landed on the Senseo Expresso pods from Douwe Egberts as being the closer to what I used to get there.

The grains on these pods used to come from Brasil, but they changed their supplier and now source them from other places as well. I didn't feel a difference.

One interesting bit: my Senseo machine was a hand me down from a friend and she only had the "double pod" accessory (a bit deeper than the single pod accessory) - this created a foamy coffee that tasted good from the get go. A few years later I was given another machine but this time with the single pod accessory. When I tried it, the taste was not the same at all - perhaps the foam and/or the lower pressure squeezing the pod made a difference. Never used the single pod accessory again..
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2020, 01:24:59 pm »
Coffee, is one of those things that's beyond being subjective!  Family/friends who somehow drink the budget low brand
instant 'coffee' (quotes intended!) find me donating better stuff to them! Unfortunately, even with seemingly the best coffee, one
can't (at home) reproduce the quality/style of what you receive  at a proper 'Cafe', unless you spend at least $1000 !!   :P

In England, obviously their dominant beverage is Tea. When I was last traveling there, the best/closest 'Coffee' while out and
about, was called an 'Americana'... (Sigh...)  :palm:    Sorry, was always like DishWater plus cold milk. They just don't get it!  :(
In Ireland, I found a Cafe' in a remote region that served the best coffee ever! I called over the owner and told him, though I
can't remember the name of the shop. Although I think it was in Cong, County Mayo. A lot of interesting history there!   :-+
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2020, 02:10:40 pm »
In England, obviously their dominant beverage is Tea. When I was last traveling there, the best/closest 'Coffee' while out and
about, was called an 'Americana'... (Sigh...)  :palm:    Sorry, was always like DishWater plus cold milk. They just don't get it!  :(

You'd be surprised; tea and coffee are both popular here, there's no "obviously" preferred option.

"Americano" is espresso plus hot water, so anywhere serving it has an espresso machine and can make whatever kind of hot, frothy coffee you prefer. (There are a few outlets which - dishonestly IMHO - describe their filter coffee as "Americano", and it's predictably the kind of stewed, black sludge that resembles crude oil in appearance and taste).

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience nonetheless; you've been unlucky. There certainly is bad coffee here but thankfully it's far from universal.

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2020, 02:35:09 pm »

You'd be surprised; tea and coffee are both popular here, there's no "obviously" preferred option.

"Americano" is espresso plus hot water, so anywhere serving it has an espresso machine and can make whatever kind of hot, frothy coffee you prefer. (There are a few outlets which - dishonestly IMHO - describe their filter coffee as "Americano", and it's predictably the kind of stewed, black sludge that resembles crude oil in appearance and taste).

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience nonetheless; you've been unlucky. There certainly is bad coffee here but thankfully it's far from universal.

No probs mate. Was meant "Tongue in cheek" haha...  (I love my coffee).
I was more than amazed with the history of the places I visited! (We don't have that in Australia).
Beautiful countrysides, and people, (especially out in the more remote regions).  :-+
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2020, 03:57:49 pm »
Lately I've been into Nescafe instant decaf with some fresh mint from our garden.  If I drink caffeine I tend to wake up at 5am the next day.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2020, 03:18:59 am »

A friend of mine suffers from migraines, and interestingly enough he's noticed that coffee makes them less worse, or eliminates them altogether. He gets good sleep and is otherwise healthy.  He took a month off drinking coffee, believing the migraines to cause it, but they just got more frequent and intense.  Two cups a day, keeps the migraine away :)

I had like 1/4 cup a couple months ago after abstaining for at least 6 months and like clockwork, had a migraine and scintillating scotoma about 36 hours later.

Nick Welker over at Welker Farms, which has a YouTube channel, apparently grew to have the same problem with coffee causing migraines and had to give it up.

Offline kaz911

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2020, 05:34:59 am »
Well - first of all I like Jura machines and have become quite adapt at repairing them - so I have bought quite a few as broken and then fixed them. It makes for a cheap coffee maker. So now I have a XJ9 Pro and a J9.3 both salvaged from "parts" sales and repaired.

But my favourite beans are the Illy Medium Roasted. They are expensive but not as acidic as Lavazza - so my stomach does not turn after a few cups.  Illy bean coffee is very smooth and "mild" in comparison.

Price per cup for Illy is around 12p to 20p so compared to Nespresso it is a steal despite the slightly expensive beans. Bean price varies a bit. But not expensive really compared to coffee pods.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2020, 09:32:39 am »
Anyone?

Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2020, 10:10:59 am »
I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to beverages, I'll admit.

I drink both tea and coffee and I prefer both black with no sugar, and only if the following conditions are met:

Coffee:
1. At a minimum, coffee is to be French press but using only freshly ground coffee beans. Espresso is preferred.
2. Instant (freeze-dried) coffee is never acceptable -- I will always choose to go without.
3. My standard go-to brew is a long black (like an Americano but stronger due to typically having less plain water added to the shot(s)).
4. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry or in a particular mood, I'll just go for a shot or two of just plain espresso.
5. The roast should ideally be fairly light to medium for a decent crema.
6. When I make it at home on my machine, I usually aim for about an 8 second brew time before the shot pours from the portafilter.
7. I prefer a finer grind for the beans I use and as the shot is pouring, it sort of has the consistency of warm honey.
8. I only ever use beans which have been roasted within the last 30 days and only grind what I need at the time.

Tea:
1. Good quality tea is paramount. None of this dust they sweep off the floor and shove into a paper teabag.
2. If I have time, I'll use loose leaf, but I mostly use teabags made of a plant-based starch material. This eliminates that "cardboardy" taste and gives the leaves room to unfurl.
3. I usually go for quite a long brew time, even up to 5 minutes depending on the type of tea.
4. I also enjoy a nice green tea or even white tea (not to be confused with plain black tea with milk) on occasion.

If you like your coffee as much as I do, I would highly recommend James Hoffmann's Youtube channel.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:33:54 am by Halcyon »

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2020, 12:57:50 pm »
Never had a cup of coffee in my life and I don't plan to - ever. Had a tiny sip when I was a teenager. It is horrible stuff, almost as bad as olives. However apparently I do make a very "good" cup of coffee using Lavazzo beans in a proper coffee making machine, which I make for the better half and visitors.

When working at my desk, I drink Japanese tea. Not the crap purchased in supermarkets, but the premium top shelf tea from select areas in Japan, like near Imari and other parts of Kyushu, which the Japanese generally do not export. The other good stuff is miso soup. You cannot buy good miso soup in Australia. What they sell here is bloody awful - about as good as dish water. When I or family members go to Japan, the return trip luggage is loaded up with as much high quality high quality miso soup packets and Japanese tea as we can carry.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2020, 01:08:04 pm »
It is horrible stuff, almost as bad as olives.

but olives are awesome :)
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2020, 01:53:02 pm »
I swear by this Bodum combination mug & French press.   Perfect for making a brew to bring along in the car, or for sitting at the desk and keeping it warm for an extended sipping session.

I use South American coffee varieties in it.   

Offline kaevee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2020, 02:03:47 pm »
People in South India drink a localised version of "Cafe Latte" prepared using dark roast coffee beans blended with root of Chicory plant. Chicory imparts nutty and woody taste to coffee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory

Usually one can find this on menu of restaurants in India as "Filter Coffee".

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2020, 03:54:35 pm »

I had like 1/4 cup a couple months ago after abstaining for at least 6 months and like clockwork, had a migraine and scintillating scotoma about 36 hours later.

Nick Welker over at Welker Farms, which has a YouTube channel, apparently grew to have the same problem with coffee causing migraines and had to give it up.

I've heard this is because migraines happen when blood vessels are enlarged and caffeine constricts blood vessels.  That constriction helps stop headaches for some people but for others the overshoot when the caffeine wears off causes enlarged blood vessels and headaches.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »
Bodum combination mug & French press.

Do you take the plunger out before sampling? If so, where do you put it?

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2020, 07:29:21 pm »
It looks like one of those frekking annoying sippy cup style travel mugs that are a PITA to clean afterwards, especially if you are using a hotel  washbasin, and aren't a total Karen who enjoys stomping their stilettos into the backs of their downtrodden serfs, so care about not leaving an unnecessary mess.   I bet that as its a sippy cup you are meant to leave the plunger down.  Cleanup will be ten times worse if you drink your coffee from it with milk and sugar!

A separate french press that you can quickly clean out while the film of coffee oils and grounds on it is still fresh, and a thermos mug with an easily thumbable beerstein style flip up lid is vastly preferable.  I graduated from a sippy cup before I went to nursery school and only near gale or above conditions at sea,  rough water powerboating or extreme off-roading would cause me to tolerate a return to using one.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 07:31:24 pm by Ian.M »

Offline eti

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • MOD: a.k.a Unlokia, glossywhite, iamwhoiam etc
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2020, 10:05:22 pm »
Decaf for 24H before fine SMD work - tastes like s--t but at least your fingers don't tremble.
Otherwise, I'm not a connoisseur - instant for that wakeup cuppa, maybe even with a dash of Pernod, Ouzo, Rakia  or Whisky in it if I'm not working/driving that morning, or if I'm not in a rush, dig out the good stuff (whatever vacuum packed medium roast grind suitable for cafetieres I can get a good deal on) and make it in a french press.

I do have a hand-cranked coffee grinder, that's excellent exercise but its a PITA to clean and getting small quantities of fresh-roast beans is a PITA and expensive so I rarely bother.

In the coffee trade (my family import/export coffee) a decaf is called a "why bother?" - and I concur.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2020, 10:42:30 pm »
Decaf has its place for people with heart conditions. And there is more people buy it than you may think.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2020, 11:30:32 pm »
Bodum combination mug & French press.

Do you take the plunger out before sampling? If so, where do you put it?

No - you put in the ground coffe, then hot water, then screw the top on,  wait a few minutes, then press the plunger down.  Then add milk or whatever to the top, if you like.  The plunger stays down, and you drink the coffee off the top.  To clean up, you take top off (over the sink), pull out the plunger, and pour out the grounds.  Super efficient, and the coffee stays hot for hours!  -  I use it several times a day, and they last many years.  Cannot recommend highly enough... it is ingenious.

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2020, 11:51:07 pm »
Decaf for 24H before fine SMD work - tastes like s--t but at least your fingers don't tremble.
In the coffee trade (my family import/export coffee) a decaf is called a "why bother?" - and I concur.
Decaf has its place for people with heart conditions. And there is more people buy it than you may think.
Anyone contemplating drinking decaff should read the wikipedia article on the processes involved: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decaffeination

Its enough to make you switch to herbal teas!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf