Author Topic: Coffee  (Read 15190 times)

Offline raptor1956Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Coffee
« on: September 01, 2020, 09:47:20 am »
I'd guess that many of us are tea drinkers, but that many or most also drink coffee -- I'd like some feedback on coffee.

As a general rule I tend to prefer Columbian style coffee but I also like to add some French Roast or Espresso to kick it up a bit.  What coffee or blends do YOU like?

Brian

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:57:41 am »
My go to cuppa is Nestle Blend 43 instant coffee but my favorite is Vittoria espresso ground beans made in a stove top italian percolator, I only have it when I visit my folks

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:58:18 am »
What's on sale tastes the best !
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 10:55:34 am »
Decaf for 24H before fine SMD work - tastes like s--t but at least your fingers don't tremble.
Otherwise, I'm not a connoisseur - instant for that wakeup cuppa, maybe even with a dash of Pernod, Ouzo, Rakia  or Whisky in it if I'm not working/driving that morning, or if I'm not in a rush, dig out the good stuff (whatever vacuum packed medium roast grind suitable for cafetieres I can get a good deal on) and make it in a french press.

I do have a hand-cranked coffee grinder, that's excellent exercise but its a PITA to clean and getting small quantities of fresh-roast beans is a PITA and expensive so I rarely bother.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:01:22 am by Ian.M »

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 10:59:20 am »
Blue Mountain Roast here most of the time. I buy in grain and grind myself.

Plus when possible I have some roasts from Delta, the biggest coffee maker in Portugal, that my mother send some from Portugal to here.

This one comes already gridded but in smaller packs than the Blue Mountain Roast I use.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 11:09:35 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 12:39:33 pm »
I buy this generic brand instant that Kroger sells called "One of the Perks". I have a coffee maker and used to brew a pot on weekend mornings, but in recent years I've gotten lazy.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 12:59:06 pm »
Kulta Katriina or Saludo. Definitely no Juhla Mokka.

12g/250ml.

Offline Tomorokoshi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 01:03:55 pm »
Now that I'm working at home, I've upgraded from corporate coffee to Aldi instant coffee powder.

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 01:07:59 pm »
Once, I entered my client's / business partner's office Monday morning, maybe around 9am. It was winter outside so my hands were a bit cold. "Oh, there's coffee already", I noticed; so tried the glass kettle of the coffee maker with my hands. "Definitely still warm - he was early but has gone somewhere!" But it has to be quite fresh still, so have to heat it up in microwave just a little bit for consumption. "Ah, coffee, that's what I needed! Tastes a bit weird, but good as always", I though to myself.

Then opens the door; my buddy's there. "Oh, good morning, you have made some coffee it seems", he says. "Wat?"

Turns out, the coffee had been sitting there from Friday morning. It just felt so warm with cold hands.

So can confirm, you only need to run the coffeemaker every few days. Just let it sit and re-heat as necessary. Ignore any "slightly strange" taste, and any external complaints, and you are good to go!

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 03:25:32 pm »
On my street are several coffee shops, but I buy McDonald's beans and tossed them into my Saeco Superautomatica.

Press button, wait, drink.

(I say tossed, past tense, because my machine is broken now)

I used to like Nespresso capsules but either my brain is broken or the flavor has changed over the years and I no longer enjoy it.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 04:35:47 pm »
Monsooned Malabar, whole beans ground to the correct fineness on demand, and brewed using a real coffee machine.

Essential lab equipment, IMHO. Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 04:50:51 pm »
I use Marks & Spencer's Italian Blend coffee. I find it is the best compromise between price and flavour. It was £2.80 a bag, but it recently came down to £2.50 :D.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 06:03:43 pm »
I prefer an instant coffee to those you get at the likes of Costa, Starbucks etc.

My goto is Nescafe Gold Blend, or Alta Rica if it is on offer, they do these tins of coffee too which are expensive but nice as a treat.
I had a coffee machine once but got fed up waiting for it to do its thing, plus by the time you've bought all of the bits and pieces, coffee filters, the coffee itself, it works out just as good to get instant (and I prefer the taste of instant).

I must be immune to it as I can happily drink a few cups at 1am and still get to sleep by 2am.

Offline Bassman59

• Super Contributor
  • Yes, I do this for a living
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 07:15:23 pm »
I'd guess that many of us are tea drinkers, but that many or most also drink coffee -- I'd like some feedback on coffee.

As a general rule I tend to prefer Columbian style coffee but I also like to add some French Roast or Espresso to kick it up a bit.  What coffee or blends do YOU like?

My city has a few local coffee roasters, so there's never a need to buy either supermarket coffee or the Bucks of Star. I prefer the Ethiopian Yirgachef beans, medium roast, in a French press.  French and Italian roasts are generally burnt. Espresso is so overroasted that it actually has less caffeine than a lighter roast.

Offline blackdog

• Frequent Contributor
  • Please stop pushing bullshit...
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 07:54:39 pm »
Hi,

I drink coffee  "Dutch Style"and that's called "Koffie Verkeerd". translated it is something like "wrong koffie"  ;)
This is actually a "Caffè latte" with strong coffee.
When I started drinking this in the 1960's, the coffee that was made was a lot less strong.

In the years 1975, 1980 more and more cafes in Amsterdam were opened with an Italian coffee machine.
After that you could also buy a "Koffie Verkeerd" based on espresso.
The milk used was "full-cream" milk.

At home I experimented a lot with many kinds of coffee and also tested the coffee in many cafes in Amsterdam.
To my taste, a "Caffè latte" made with Illy coffee with whole milk is one of the best.

Another very good coffee is with a coffee chain here in the Netherlands and that chain is called: Bagels & Beans, they sell a "Big Latte" which I like very much.
At home I make the coffee a little different because I don't have a coffee machine and make the coffee by hand and a filter.
That's one cup at a time or two cups if my girlfriend is there as well.
I prefer to use packs of coffee beans, which I then grind myself with a small coffee grinder.

Below is a picture of two brands of coffee that I really like.

And to make it completely divine, first take a piece of this chocolate in your mouth and then a sip of coffee!

Kind regards,
Bram

Necessity is not an established fact, but an interpretation.

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 07:55:51 pm »
Lavazza Rossa ground coffee made in an Italian stove top Coffee maker.
I am available for freelance work.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, SpecialK

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 09:06:24 pm »
More important than anything is how it is made.

Instant coffee tastes awful.  In any brand.  Never liked it.

We use an espresso machine to make even large drinks of coffee.  High pressure steam/water at 14bar through dried ground coffee of any brand wins over instant.  We currently use Lavazza Rossa.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2020, 09:30:38 pm »
tested the coffee in many cafes in Amsterdam.
Ive visited many dutch coffee shops,but cant remember much about the coffee. I prefer  the  robusta  bean to  arabica so instant tends to hit the spot better,gold blend being my goto .

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 09:55:35 pm »
More important than anything is how it is made.

Instant coffee tastes awful.  In any brand.  Never liked it.

We use an espresso machine to make even large drinks of coffee.  High pressure steam/water at 14bar through dried ground coffee of any brand wins over instant.  We currently use Lavazza Rossa.
I am curious about the price of the machine. I am not a coffee drinker but a friend of mine said he paid $6K for his coffee machine.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 10:29:07 pm »
My current favorite is a roast called "Fazenda Monte Belo" from a small coffee roaster on the island of Sylt. We buy beans and grind them, coffee then brewed by hand through filter.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 11:27:11 pm »
 I don't do drugs.  :box:
"That's not even wrong" -- Wolfgang Pauli

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 11:58:16 pm »
And you are absolutely right. Half life of caffeine in 6 hours. People who have 3 cups of coffee run high throughout the day.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline alpher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 12:32:37 am »
That's why I have only one in the morning, McDonalds medium with 2 milks, I don't mind Tim Horton's either but none of that dark roast shit.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 12:46:17 am »

Brian

Two Volcanos  and Cafe' Britt.   Some of my choices are Poa's, Tres Rios and Tarrazu.   Nothing added.   Friend brought me back some while on a trip that has to be the best coffee I've had but haven't seen it here in the states.   

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 02:48:50 am »
I like ground coffee of several styles and flavours, but my regular drink is the cheapest instant the supermarket has on offer. Currently that's 90p/100g at Tesco. No shakes, no unable to sleep, no downer going cold turkey - it is essentially flavoured water, hence I drink a lot of it, and it's just fine with no milk and sweetners to take the edge off :)

Visitors get proper stuff, though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf