Author Topic: Cheques being phased out in Australia by 2030  (Read 20137 times)

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: Cheques being phased out in Australia by 2030
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2023, 05:51:48 pm »
I hope you guys can still pay in salt or silver coins. I mean, do the bad government want to get rid of directly exchanging donkeys for goods? Can you still use seashells though, right?

Clearly you are young. I presume you are going to avoid becoming old.
Clearly I was born in a soviet occupied country, where cheque usage was 0.00% and if you tried using it after 1989 everyone just assumed that you want to scam them.

You are avoiding the point. We noticed.
Wait, your point is that old people cannot learn how to use anything else? That went totally over my head. Why?
Because I'm coming from a country, where nobody is using cheque, and we somehow manage.

And thus it follows that the rest of us must stop using checks, as well, regardless of our own preferences.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2023, 06:04:40 pm »
I hope you guys can still pay in salt or silver coins. I mean, do the bad government want to get rid of directly exchanging donkeys for goods? Can you still use seashells though, right?
You better sharpen your skills in trading donkeys for goods, as this is where the world is going, if you have not noticed yet.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2023, 08:47:44 pm »
Don't be a twat!

As you will find - if you are lucky - the older you get the more difficult it is to take on radically new concepts.

My father, who had a DSc (i.e. >>PhD) in two phase flow and fluid dynamics, never really got to grips with the internet and web.
I think you underestimate the elderly. They are really resourceful when they actually want to do something - or when they are forced to.

And thus it follows that the rest of us must stop using checks, as well, regardless of our own preferences.
Do you live in Australia? Am I forcing you to do something? No?
Do whatever you please, but please don't be surprized when you get mockery for it from the people who send URLs or QR codes and get their payment in less than a minute.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2023, 09:02:01 pm »
Don't be a twat!

As you will find - if you are lucky - the older you get the more difficult it is to take on radically new concepts.

My father, who had a DSc (i.e. >>PhD) in two phase flow and fluid dynamics, never really got to grips with the internet and web.
I think you underestimate the elderly. They are really resourceful when they actually want to do something - or when they are forced to.

That's no more than a convenient rationalisation of your dismissive attitude (that you conveniently snipped).

How old are you?

What is your definition of elderly? 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30?

What experience do you personally have of people from an earlier generation  and their capability?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:07:09 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2023, 09:05:07 pm »
I observed today in my local store queue how I was the only one NOT paying with a smart phone or an Apple Watch.
Contactless payment using a real plastic card is becoming a minority option. The little old lady in front of me had an iPhone.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2023, 09:12:31 pm »
My parents are in their mid - late eighties and use internet banking, tablets and smart phones, etc.

I don't know of anyone who has written or received a cheque in the last 5 years.

Tax refunds, etc all go straight back into your bank account.

Most of my customers use credit / debit card via the tap function, a few insert the card and a few use their phone / watch.

The phone / watch users are not always the young ones either. Some are in the 50 - 80 year old bracket.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2023, 09:19:35 pm »
My parents are in their mid - late eighties and use internet banking, tablets and smart phones, etc.

I don't know of anyone who has written or received a cheque in the last 5 years.

Most of my customers use credit / debit card via the tap function, a few insert the card and a few use their phone / watch.

The phone / watch users are not always the young ones either. Some are in the 50 - 80 year old bracket.

And bugger the others; they can go to hell.

Most people can see. Bugger the blind - it is uneconomic to enable them to be part of society.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:21:28 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2023, 09:20:10 pm »
How old are you?
None of your business. BTW I gave you a very good indication about it in this very thread.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2023, 09:23:10 pm »
How old are you?
None of your business. BTW I gave you a very good indication about it in this very thread.

Your age is relevant to your intolerant position.

Sorry I don't remember the subtleties of all your posts. Remind us.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2023, 09:25:30 pm »
Having a PhD or higher doesn't mean you are actually smart. Just good at one thing -maybe-  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2023, 09:33:15 pm »
Having a PhD or higher doesn't mean you are actually smart  >:D

A DSc in a highly technical subject[1] does imply a technical competance. My father was the kind of person that would try new things because he hadn't done them before, e.g. make a suit from a roll of cloth, just for the fun of it.

[1] one of his last published papers was predicting what would happen if a PWR suffered a catastrophic LOCA (loss of coolant accident) where the bottom was blown out of the reactor. Fukushima was quarter of a century in the future, and more or less confirmed the predictions)

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2023, 09:33:29 pm »

Clearly I was born in a soviet occupied country, where cheque usage was 0.00% and if you tried using it after 1989 everyone just assumed that you want to scam them.

Wait, your point is that old people cannot learn how to use anything else? That went totally over my head. Why?
Because I'm coming from a country, where nobody is using cheque, and we somehow manage.

Don't be a twat!

I think you are the one being a twat. Everyone's IQ and ability to grasp new things falls with age, but falls at very different rates, and from different starting points. Most people struggle while still at high school. Some people grasp most new things with little effort when they are 90. The problem is not age. Its people who started out with the short straw in life, and will NEVER grasp anything moderately complex without massive reinforcement. Modern society really has no place where they can thrive.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2023, 09:38:09 pm »

Don't be a twat!

I think you are the one being a twat. Everyone's IQ and ability to grasp new things falls with age, but falls at very different rates, and from different starting points. Most people struggle while still at high school. Some people grasp most new things with little effort when they are 90. The problem is not age. Its people who started out with the short straw in life, and will NEVER grasp anything moderately complex without massive reinforcement. Modern society really has no place where they can thrive.

So what is the logical consequence of that statement? Logan's Run?

"The race does not always go to the fastest, but that's the way to bet"
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:41:57 pm by tggzzz »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2023, 09:40:26 pm »
It certainly deserves a discussion, just like the phasing out of cash, which is also planned.
Now discussing is nice, considering different point of views is important, but who here thinks we actually have any say about it? Just curious.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2023, 09:46:59 pm »
It certainly deserves a discussion, just like the phasing out of cash, which is also planned.
Now discussing is nice, considering different point of views is important, but who here thinks we actually have any say about it? Just curious.

There is some evidence that if enough people complain to their MP (i.e. elected representative) then they will take notice and take action.

Doesn't always work :(

But phasing out cash is an interesting topic. Screw those that can't get a bank account and cards; they don't count.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:49:05 pm by tggzzz »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #115 on: October 09, 2023, 09:50:52 pm »

So what is the logical consequence of that statement?

Logan's Run?
Huh? Are you having a problem grasping concepts, either here or while reading/watching Logan's Run? Something like 9% or 10% of the population are of such low ability, even when young, that people with a wide variety of needs, like, famously, the US Army cannot find even simple tasks for them where their presence is a net positive. If we make simple base line tasks, like making simple payments, more intellectually challenging you can rapidly exclude way beyond that 9 or 10%, even among the young and physically fit. It just gets somewhat worse when looking at an older cohort. Combine this with failing education systems graduating more and more people who presumably follow typical norms of ability, but who have been taught very little, and an ever more complex baseline for living could be a true catastrophe.

If you didn't grasp Logan's Run you had a cohort of very similar ability people. Not too bright. not too dumb. Poorly educated with a web of lies. All reaching a similar level of degradation at the age of 30, and all being bumped off in a public spectacle they'd been left too dumb to grasp.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2023, 09:51:10 pm »
Who cares in the end. The amount of money people have / receive is just a number which reflects how society is valueing their contribution or inherited contributions to society. Why does it matter how and where that number is stored or represented?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2023, 09:53:39 pm »
Who cares in the end. The amount of money people have / receive is just a number which reflects how society is valueing their contribution or inherited contributions to society. Why does it matter how and where that number is stored or represented?
Because if you don't have tight control over your number, someone else will, and has immense power over you. Even now people are randomly losing their bank accounts for spurious reasons.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2023, 09:58:17 pm »
Because if you don't have tight control over your number, someone else will, and has immense power over you. Even now people are randomly losing their bank accounts for spurious reasons.

Precisely!

Such random acts will become even more incomprehensible and un-challengeable when Artificial Idiocy technology is even more widely used.

Since "unbanking" has affected national politicians, they have quickly acted to prevent themselves from becoming "unbanked".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 10:00:09 pm by tggzzz »

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2023, 10:11:06 pm »
Don't be a twat!

Do you live in Australia? Am I forcing you to do something? No?
Do whatever you please, but please don't be surprized when you get mockery for it from the people who send URLs or QR codes and get their payment in less than a minute.

No I do not live in Australia, but many in this thread seem to want me to be forced to change my ways.
I snort at those who mock me.
I find it amusing here when those ahead of me in the grocery checkout aisle take a much longer time to pay on-line than it takes me to pay cash.
(Of course, those who pay by check take even longer.)

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2023, 10:53:50 pm »
I find it amusing here when those ahead of me in the grocery checkout aisle take a much longer time to pay on-line than it takes me to pay cash.
Aint that the truth.first comes the look of surprise that they've spent so much and need to actual pay,followed by a frantic search through  bags,purse ,pram,trolley,pockets  for the payment device,then the wait for things to connect followed by another attempt to get the 2 devices to talk to each other before discovering there over the contactless limit and need to remember there pin,but no rush the cashier first has to cancel the contactless transaction.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2023, 10:57:17 pm »
Very much the same in this country!

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2023, 11:02:38 pm »
What kind of antique validation systems do your stores use? There are places in the UK where a card takes 30s to validate a transaction, like its some 1980s dial up terminal. Those are used in places with infrequent transactions. However, in high traffic places, like supermarkets, where the transaction time really matters, it only takes a second or two, especially for tap and go transactions, where I don't even need to tap in a PIN.

Online TimFox

• Super Contributor
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2023, 11:03:46 pm »
What kind of antique validation systems do your stores use? There are places in the UK where a card takes 30s to validate a transaction, like its some 1980s dial up terminal. Those are used in places with infrequent transactions. However, in high traffic places, like supermarkets, where the transaction time really matters, it only takes a second or two, especially for tap and go transactions, where I don't even need to tap in a PIN.

Similar to the ones used in themadhippy's country.
I'm sure they passed the testing at the system manufacturer, but the real world is different.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2023, 11:14:56 pm »

And bugger the others; they can go to hell.

Most people can see. Bugger the blind - it is uneconomic to enable them to be part of society.

I have no idea which part of my reply you're referring to.

Are you saying the blind can't use credit cards but they could use cheques?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf