Author Topic: Chang'e 5, moon rock sample collecting  (Read 8234 times)

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
Re: Chang'e 5, moon rock sample collecting
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2020, 03:14:42 pm »
Chinese guys well done! Perhaps this is nothing new or important for humanity. But for China, this development of science and technology is very important. It is good that Chinese scientists and engineers have such a job.  :clap:
And sorry for my English.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2020, 03:35:03 pm »
So now Chinese get to see part of the real Jade Rabbit!
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2020, 05:15:28 pm »
Chinese guys well done! Perhaps this is nothing new or important for humanity. But for China, this development of science and technology is very important. It is good that Chinese scientists and engineers have such a job.  :clap:
It's new in the sense that the previous missions explored a very limited area and this is new material from a new area. There's new science to be done. Also new is to achieve this with a much smaller investment in regards to money and human risk. It's definitely an advancement to be celebrated and congratulated.

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2020, 06:07:12 pm »
It's new in the sense that the previous missions explored a very limited area and this is new material from a new area. There's new science to be done. Also new is to achieve this with a much smaller investment in regards to money and human risk. It's definitely an advancement to be celebrated and congratulated.

I may be wrong, but i think that there is nothing interesting or unusual about that sand from another piece of the Moon. The method of its extraction and delivery is much more interesting. :)

You know what i mean? It is impossible to say anything about the Earth if you dig a little soil near your house or near my house. We will not find there, most likely, anything of value: no gold, no oil, no artifacts of ancient civilizations. :)
And sorry for my English.

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2020, 06:19:10 pm »

I may be wrong, but i think that there is nothing interesting or unusual about that sand from another piece of the Moon. The method of its extraction and delivery is much more interesting. :)

You know what i mean? It is impossible to say anything about the Earth if you dig a little soil near your house or near my house. We will not find there, most likely, anything of value: no gold, no oil, no artifacts of ancient civilizations. :)

Yes, I agree, its very unlikely that the soil they dig up, even its at special location, will have a truly shocking difference compared to previous rock by US or USSR had done.

But the whole process and steps they used, is a breakthrough imo, starting from orbiting moon, modules separation at orbit, landing, re-launch to the orbit, rendevous with the returner at orbit and then fly home, all are identical steps to what American did with Apollo, but this times its done by robot without human assistance, or minimal at least, this alone is the first in space exploration, cmiiw.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2020, 07:30:42 pm »
It's alright,  after the hype will pass ,they will realize a few things and will scrap the program, just like all other nations who achieved that did.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2020, 07:35:24 pm »

You consistently oversimplify things to the point of removing all detail, to then claim there's nothing new or interesting to it. That's like claiming Columbus' trip to the US was nothing special because we've discovered lands before and we have continents at home. We don't need new scientific discoveries because we've had many in the past. We don't need new music because we've had music in the past. It's selecting the arguments to fit a foregone conclusion.

The samples brought back new soil from the Moon, which will yield new data about how the Moon developed and by extension Earth's history. Contrary to Earth the Moon isn't continually resurfaced so there are many clues about the history of our solar system to be found on the surface. Both similar and very different samples provide data which strengthen or upend existing views. The newly developed technology is likely facilitate further exploration and science. There's a lot we learned and to be learned. To be human is to push boundaries, although some prefer to cling to what they know and stay put.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2020, 10:47:07 pm »
Wonder if we'll ever find water at the poles.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2020, 11:49:08 am »

You consistently oversimplify things to the point of removing all detail, to then claim there's nothing new or interesting to it. That's like claiming Columbus' trip to the US was nothing special because we've discovered lands before and we have continents at home. We don't need new scientific discoveries because we've had many in the past. We don't need new music because we've had music in the past. It's selecting the arguments to fit a foregone conclusion.

The samples brought back new soil from the Moon, which will yield new data about how the Moon developed and by extension Earth's history. Contrary to Earth the Moon isn't continually resurfaced so there are many clues about the history of our solar system to be found on the surface. Both similar and very different samples provide data which strengthen or upend existing views. The newly developed technology is likely facilitate further exploration and science. There's a lot we learned and to be learned. To be human is to push boundaries, although some prefer to cling to what they know and stay put.

(Sorry about the time/date since this comment!)...
It always makes me laugh when I watch some  documentary on TV about extremely arid sand-blown places. All the
same for say another 1000 miles in any direction. And I wonder what some 'Alien' would think if their 1st sights upon
landing randomly on Earth, was HERE!... Thinking "wow, what a boring & dead planet!".  :scared: :phew:  8)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2021, 04:52:32 pm »
I don't think Columbus ever set foot in the US, however Scandinavian explorers may have, several hundred years earlier. We do know they spent quite a bit of time in Canada. The story was passed down in the Norse sagas.
As far as De Soto there is a book that was recently translated into English called "The Florida of the Inca" (Garcilaso de la Vega) which is pretty interesting, even if one is not so into history.

Offline All Seeing Eye

• Contributor
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2021, 05:38:17 pm »
Good,The futures belongs to the Chinese!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf