Poll

What type of cellphone(s) do you currently use?

iPhone, any version
16 (11.4%)
Android, any version
81 (57.9%)
Windows, any version
11 (7.9%)
Blackberry, any version
4 (2.9%)
Smartphone OS not listed above
6 (4.3%)
non-Smartphone cellphone
20 (14.3%)
no cellphone
2 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Author Topic: Cellphone Survey of Electronics Designers  (Read 8615 times)

Offline saturationTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Cellphone Survey of Electronics Designers
« on: March 20, 2015, 03:10:43 pm »
Hello All:

I'm getting preliminary data on the distribution of cellphone OSs used by anyone, hobbyist to professional, with an interest in hardware electronics design.

The purpose is to see if the distribution is different from general demographics already available on the net, such as by Pew, Neilsen and others.

If you use multiple phones with different OS, choose as many as applicable.   For example, at work I have an iPhone as a workphone as well as my personal Android phone.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
Re: Cellphone Survey of Electronics Designers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 05:02:48 pm »
I have a windows phone - like it.

Before that, I used a Sony Ericsson T610.

Before that, various nokia candy bars.

Before that, an Ericsson T39 - the iPhone of its time. I could still power it up and browse the web on it, for a phone made in the last millennium.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 06:51:22 pm »
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 running stock Android 4.4.4.

I like it, because I saw a teardown of it, despite it being very compact, it looked easy to repair. Certainly as easy as one could expect for such a compact device. The battery and memory are easily upgradeable and every "fragile" part (SIM slot, USB, headphone jack, camera sensor) is on a separate, replaceable flex PCB. The parts are all available on eBay for under £15 each.

This proved useful when I got it wet, and was able to clean the whole phone by unscrewing the non-proprietary screws and undoing all the connectors. Things like the camera, USB port, sim slots, etc.  are all on separate boards and come off very easily. Unfortunately the screen got wet on mine, and that killed the phone in the end (digitiser dead); however, I was able to salvage the motherboard (everything but touchscreen faulty), and used it to fix a friend's phone!

« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 06:52:53 pm by tom66 »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:04:56 pm »
Where is the no phone option?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline saturationTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 07:42:51 pm »
Didn't think it possible, but added.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 09:27:02 am »
I have andron phone, but still like my old nokia with resistive touch display. these capasitive shits just dont get as accurate :/
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 09:40:43 am »
Didn't think it possible, but added.

I have left home without my phones before, peaceful and so quiet. When I go camping there is signal at the preferred spot, and I just use the car charger to keep the phone charged, though I just put it on silent and leave it there. I did send a photo of the sunset and the dam to Mlorton, he sent one back of him biking in the snow.......

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:07 am »
I'm still running a Nokia 6610 in original condition, though I've changed the battery twice, and the case and keyboard pcb too, but apart from that it's original

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 10:08:29 am »
I'm still running a Nokia 6610 in original condition, though I've changed the battery twice, and the case and keyboard pcb too, but apart from that it's original

Trigger's broom?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:23:31 am »

We had a Panasonic phone that was involved in an accident ( The late Blessing used it as a skid when he dropped the Kamakazi bike in an accident involving him and a Zola Budd) and it was repaired. Only parts that were reused were 6 screws that held the case together in it.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 12:19:55 am »
I have a Palm Treo 700wx with Windows Mobile6.

My "smartphone" which is for backup is a Nokia 925 with Windows Phone 8.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 12:28:08 am »
I don't have a smartphone.

I hardly ever use my mobile. It spends most of its time switched off.

I can see why people have smartphones and they are useful but I think if I were to get one it would be a distraction more than useful. I also prefer using a proper desktop computer with a decent keyboard, a mouse, a nice full HD monitor and reasonable quality speakers, rather than a phone with a tiny display, a touchscreen which is horrible to type with and a crappy tinny transducer.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 09:55:22 pm »
I have a Samsung B2100 now since 2009 before that I had series of various makes which tended to last only a year or two before they got too battered to work. If I get another phone it will also have to be a tough phone of whatever make and most Likely another Samsung. I have just replaced the battery as the original one was only lastin about 4 days when new it was about ten days, I dont want a phone that needs charging every 4 hours.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 10:17:03 pm »
I don't have a smartphone.

I hardly ever use my mobile. It spends most of its time switched off.

I can see why people have smartphones and they are useful but I think if I were to get one it would be a distraction more than useful. I also prefer using a proper desktop computer with a decent keyboard, a mouse, a nice full HD monitor and reasonable quality speakers, rather than a phone with a tiny display, a touchscreen which is horrible to type with and a crappy tinny transducer.

Phone off when on the bench, I hate the distraction.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 11:02:43 pm »
Bought my first smartphone last year when selling my house. Only had a simple Siemens office mobile phone before that.

Android Motorola Moto G

Fast processor +well built.

Used to use it with the SEEK thermal imager before I abandoned that camera.

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 12:36:32 am »
If it weren't that I owned a business and want to be in touch with my customers, I wouldn't have a smartphone at all.  I didn't have one until a couple of years ago when I was traveling several hours every day for some dumb thing I had to deal with.

Honestly, I think iPhones are nice, but iTunes is such a steaming pile of crap that I dumped it for an Android phone.  If interacting with an iPhone was as simple as plugging in a USB cable and copying files, like practically every other device on the planet, I might be persuaded to try it again.

I'll try a Windows phone next, perhaps.  I don't really care about apps.  I just need phone, voice mail and e-mail.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 12:40:00 am »
got an iphone to try, but my next phone will probably be android.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 12:55:58 am »
I have had my flip phone for like 8 years now. Still makes calls when I need it to and can do texts if needed. I see no need to bother getting a smart phone because my current one still works. Will likely have this phone until it finally dies. Its nice that the battery has actually lasted this long.
I have thought about getting another flip phone when my current one dies. They wont shatter when dropped and I seriously dont have many times when I just sit around doing nothing so its not like I can play around on a smart phone much. I prefer an actual computer for doing stuff, not a small screen.
I dont even carry my phone around with me everywhere, mostly if I am out of the house but sometimes not even then.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 02:24:51 am »
I don't have a cell phone. I used to have some in the past but they always got tampered with. The last one I had was a Nokia C7. I brought it along 3 or 4 times and maybe made 2 phone calls with it. On one occasion I appearantly did bring it along without a SIM card (who took that?) and the last time I wanted to take it with me it needed the PUK code???  :wtf: Instead of the PUK code it got a flying lesson into the bin. Cell phones are just not for me. Too much hassle and annoyance. To me a telephone must be like a hammer. Pick it up and get the job done.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:29:33 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

n45048

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 05:11:41 am »
I use PrivatOS (which is based on Android) for both my private and regular work phone. Also at work, I use Blackberry handsets.

Security is important to me and is a requirement of my work place. Apple IOS just doesn't cut it in secure environments. Although I must admit, if Nokia still made handset in a candy bar form factor with 4G/LTE capability running their traditional Series 30/40 operating system, I'd be using that instead! I love my old Nokia's and they still work, although with the added bands and 4G coverage in Australia, they aren't as good as modern handsets in regional areas.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:17:05 am by Halon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf