Author Topic: CCTV (home) options, especially ones without any subscriptions or cloud use  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
and take out their revenge ....
Was masked as fire incident with electrical panel (where was cartridge). Smell near similar.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
I cannot find formula of their gas
nothing exotic,just glycol and smart water

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
just glycol and smart water
Criminals will laugh. It's ineffective. And it doesn't look like a fire incident. The developers don't understand what need to do.
Criminals will turn on their boombox and dance to it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 08:27:25 pm by Postal2 »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Maybe not suitable for domestic use,but coloured smoke grenades not only disorientate the intruder ,but can also stain them a lovely shade of orange.
Even better if it's embedded in some decoy designed to look like a valuable, rigged so that it goes off a few minutes after being stolen. They'll think something in the loot had caught fire and abandon it.

Another one if legal to own (but not operate) is a radio jammer that activates if stolen. They won't know something's up until the FCC (or the local equivalent) is after them!
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
just glycol and smart water
Criminals will laugh. It's ineffective.

On the contrary, I tested an install of this and can confirm that within seconds one is completely blind and disoriented. Literally, you cannot see your hand with your arm out.

Maybe you should actually try stuff before doing the armchair warrior thing.

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
You can go to your local crime bar where criminals are having fun in the same smoke. They will not feel threatened by it and will simply wait until the smoke clears.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
More from My personal experience how CCTV can help identify intruders IMO
IF it has infrared light at night  - infrared flood light Illuminator unit can help give security camera night vision a boost.
however clothing under infrared light looks white when the clothing is black in daylight.
so a passive infrared sensor with white flood light will get best full color video at night.
IF the CCTV lens viewing angle will get it all in. and the video resolution high enough 1080p or 4k
IF the CCTV system has enough camera channels for all sides of the property. more channels is better then 1 or 2 pan & tilt security cameras.
 video fps vs video resolution will set your HDD video back-up time limit.  the more Hard Drive terabyte capacity the better
a one terabyte capacity for 4 channels at 24 fps 480p video resolution is 7 days. but only 1 day at 1080p 24 fps
 video motion detection can help but motion detection algorithms and camera setup are critical. as a poor setting can have your 24/7 CCTV system
fail to record an intruder. 
12 volt system battery backup or UPS ensure uninterrupted CCTV power.
adding sound channels can help identify intruders- outdoor microphones more then one. 
intruders like to use their phone on the job.  if you can electronically identify the call phone entering your property you can identify them.
police need evidence
 :rant:
you can spend more on a video surveillance systems then the property lost by the theft itself.
expensive video surveillance DVR recorders systems can be stolen if not hidden in the building.
security cameras hidden from view also hidden from the weather are more reliable over time.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
You can go to your local crime bar where criminals are having fun in the same smoke. They will not feel threatened by it and will simply wait until the smoke clears.

You think it's like a bloody disco just because it uses the same ingredients. That's not the case. Again, unless you've found yourself in a pukka security setup you have no idea what it's actually like.

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
You think it's like a bloody disco just because it uses the same ingredients. That's not the case. Again, unless you've found yourself in a pukka security setup you have no idea what it's actually like.

It's going to be frightening and likely to be very disorientating for the criminals, who may be pumping huge amounts of stress, that can somewhat badly mess up a persons ability to think clearly.

Also, for all the intruders know, are security guard(s) and/or employees and/or Police etc, suddenly going to get them.

Anyway, like with most other security deterrents.  It is just another layer of security, but not a 100% guarantee of perfect security.

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
unless you've found yourself in a pukka security setup you have no idea what it's actually like.
I don’t remember exactly the composition of the substance for the garden, something similar to permethrin, the bag with it lies far away. But if you find yourself in its smoke, you will run before visibility disappears.
You might set a world running record.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 11:19:07 pm by Postal2 »

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Please feel free to comment on, or tear apart, this post.  I'll start with the first criticism, this post is, way, way too long!, sorry.

Ok, I've been searching and searching today, and looked into many of the numerous solutions available, on Amazon (UK), and a bit of ebay.

Thanks for all the replies and banter, so far.  It is helping me land on the ground running.

I'm really itching and itching , to get something to start me off.

One plan, is as follows (not necessarily followed, exactly as the link shows):
https://www.instructables.com/WiFi-Security-Camera-With-a-Pi-Zero-2W/

N.B. It would just be a starting point, for initial experimentation, and would fairly quickly and easily, get me going, now.  At least to some extent.
The plan would be I install them, so they look through suitable windows/door(s), so don't need to be weather proof, would only need a relatively cheap USB power supply, with the built in WiFi, 'connecting' it up, to my network(s).

Although I think I can arrange it, (with some set up time and other initial hassle), to be a separate part of my network(s), a bit like a vlan.  With equipment, I already have.  But, at this stage, there doesn't seem to be a need for it, as long as we are talking about fairly trustworthy PI software sources, such as the Raspberry PI foundation, etc.

PROs (for me, at least):
Unlike virtually all the other brands, where (like others have said), it would be worrying to directly connect them, to existing network/NAS etc infrastructure.  It would be Raspberry PI Zero 2W's, with my own (as in open source PI software, suitable for OS and CCTV).  So, reasonably trustworthy, to connect to my existing equipment, without any major creation of isolated network branches (VLANs) etc.

Although, I'd have to check to see if the CCTV camera software itself bit, was truly open source, or just a big binary blob, supplied from some source, which would be less trustworthy.

The 12 megapixels of the Raspberry PI Camera module 3, is actually a respectable pixel amount, as such cameras, seem to go for like the £100 mark, just for each CCTV camera.

Wide angle or normal, and with or without IR filter versions, are available.

There seems to be a Raspberry PI Zero camera case.  I need to check if it takes the Raspberry PI zero 2 and Raspberry PI camera module 3. (The article probably indicates it does, but I haven't read it through, properly, yet).

I don't think that camera case is weather proof.  But I prefer to start off, quickly and easily, by using those through windows and with WiFi, initially.

It will help me learn what I might need, for a more permanent and probably outdoor camera solution.

I might get some cheap dummy, easy to fit cameras, to give me better deterrent capabilities, outside.  Until I'm ready, for a proper external CCTV system.

It is dawning on me, that the permanent, outside solution, with CCTV cameras (IP), involves considerably more work, and equipment/cost, than I originally realized.  Each camera would need its own Ethernet cable, and the cable runs back to the main station.  Which could be a PoE router, with enough wattage capability, for all the security lights (on the better cameras) to be powered, that can add up to a fair chunk.  Cheaper PoE routers, would not be able to handle such output loads, depending on what things you get.

Cameras without subscriptions, also seem to offer rather basic functionality, as regards the software/apps/web-interface support.

As mentioned by many in this thread, already.  Modern day auto/motion detection/alerts, doesn't work very reliably at all, usually.

NVR's, can be a mixed blessing.  Some, only really work with their own range of cameras.  They tend to come with relatively small hard disks (e.g. 1TB, which is enough, I guess, really), and if they come with bigger ones, the price seems to shoot up, rather quickly and steeply.

The cost of all the PoE equipment, Cameras (the more features and bigger resolution ones, start to get very pricey, especially for quality ones, e.g. £240 (I appreciate there are much cheaper options, but if you want high resolution (12MP)), PTZ, quality makes, other features, etc, then you perhaps need an expensive one) per camera), outdoor suitable and suitably long cables (Ethernet), monitor(s), higher end NVRs (if used), and other bits and pieces (such as high endurance SD cards in cameras if applicable, battery backup if wanted, etc), can soon bring the price over £1,000 (which would be a lot or even considerably more than I originally intended) for a setup.

Just to reiterate.  The desire for top resolution, doesn't come from greed.  It is to provide the Police (if necessary), the best possible images, to track down the criminals, if necessary.  Also, enough resolution and quality to make out number plates, could be very useful, as well.
If they are wearing masks, high resolution and very clear images, would still give a better chance of sussing out who the criminals are, and/or recognizing them again.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 01:17:23 am by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline RJSV

• Super Contributor
MK14;
   Not too long (posts) if it's needed, for a project like yours.
   My humble suggestion would be to also figure to be involved for some medium long period of time...Let's just say if I was manager there the first business would be to create at least an informal calendar, of milestones.  Think, maybe 10 months to 14 months, realistically, but with a way to get PARTIALLY up and running, perhaps on one of the isolated LAN with maybe 3 cameras running. 
   You can change out various camera options.  I did like the concept mentioned, of low camera angle for better facial shots.

But the real advice would be to get a decent, clear space ready, with desk, shelves, etc  to facilitate more clarity and efficiency.   A good £90 (UK) for one of those culinary shelves that come on wheels, often used for pots and pans.

Maybe hire an ambitious student, as manager, (keeping it clear that budget is tight).

I'd volunteer, but too much travel...
Rick B. in Hayward, Ca.

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
..(hypothetically), if the intruder, was wearing worn out blue jeans, with some kind of sticker, on the back, and a torn T-shirt, which says EEV on it.  If the police grab other CCTV in the area, which shows a person, wearing those cloths, but without a face mask, they are beginning to narrow down on the suspect(s) identities.

I've encountered that too. Even if they hide their face in the shadows, they are careless enough to wear the same clothes, I've walked around the following day and easily spotted them after a couple of hours, on two occasions, and then just rang the police and let them know!

The police seem very happy with Ring video (the image is excellent for what it is - a non-adjustable camera with a very wide angle with lots of detail in the central forward-looking direction, and picks up color even in quite dark conditions) and then they can ask others in the area to check their doorbell cams etc., and gain even more insight. A friend had her dog stolen, they easily traced the thief across half the town that way, and recovered it.

It seems a good idea to experiment and see what's possible, and what suits your needs. I didn't get it right the first time at all. I initially purchased standard res analog cams (it was a long time ago) and MJPEG recorders, it was all awful. Then tried SD cameras and basic hard drive recorders in a friend's retail store, and soon learned the limitations of those too (very low frame rate as well as the low-res images). I then moved to Panasonic IP cams, they were fine at the time, but technology moves on and they were in comparison to HD cameras, not great. Also the software didn't have a lot of features. Plus they had mechanical day/night filters and a cooling fan, which eventually wore out; also, those cameras were huge in comparison to today's cameras.

Things might work ok even if not completely weatherproof; I used a non-weatherproof camera outside the front door (it was a cheap bullet-shaped camera (very small, quite covert!), with a car TFT screen inside near the door, so people could see who was outside before opening the door) it lasted many years with it's self-heat, and being under a slope so no direct rain fell on it.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 02:01:18 am by shabaz »

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
As it may help others, in a similar situation to me.

The top of list, in 'conventional' CCTV solutions, when I looked into it, today, was going to be this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-Camera-Security-Outdoor-Weatherproof/dp/B08Y56XVPX
ANNKE C800 4K CCTV PoE Camera with Audio, IP Security Camera Outdoor, H.265+, Smart Motion Alerts, IP67 Weatherproof, 100 ft EXIR 2.0 Night Vision, Slot for Micro SD Card (2Pack)
Currently (claiming price reduced):  -31% £109.99

For two.

They seem to be able to work, without a NVR (but you can use one, if you want).

PROs were:
Not too bad a price at around £55 each, for a 8MP resolution camera, IP67 outdoor capable.

Some people in this thread have mentioned and/or recommended ANNKE CCTVs.
Just needs a PoE router (NVR not essential), and a webbrowser (if I've understood what I've read) and/or app and/or other methods of accessing it.

Not a huge amount of (software) functionality, but at least it is subscription free, and doesn't even need an internet connection (if I've understood things, correctly).

Reviews are reasonably good, for that camera (range), although some think the cheapest ones they make, are rather cheaply made/built.  But that doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.  Anyway, the one I'm talking about here, is more lower middle range, rather than bottom of range/cheapest.

Is capable of handling facing the sun automatically (if I understood things, correctly).

The images from it, that I've seen, seem very reasonable.

DISADVANTAGES were:
Doesn't come with the long cable(s), needed (unless 1 metre is long enough for you).

Doesn't seem so reasonably priced, if only buying one, which is probably my preferred starting quantity, to try it out (instead it is more like £70 for one).

One could be fairly quickly and easily installed outside, by me.  But a second one, would be much trickier, as it would then need long enough cabling and wouldn't be in a preexisting CCTV camera capable point (sort of), that I've got.
Compared to a Raspberry PI 2W solution, whose WiFi would allow it to be placed, anywhere, within range of the WiFi.  It would still need power, but that doesn't need to connect back to one master point, it would only need to connect to the mains-adapter, and its lead, back to a suitable room/location.
Since the lead (USB) that comes out of the mains adapters, is low voltage and relatively safe.  It could come out of any hole or one could be drilled.

Another option, might be to get/try both, a Raspberry PI 2W and one or two, of the above linked ANNKE Cameras.  Since with deeper reflection/analysis.  The PI solution, is great for the front, day or night, as there is probably enough light from stuff, for a modern/sensitive camera to still work.

But round the back, there would be little or very limited light, unless any security light(s) have activated.  So, at night at the back, a proper external outdoor camera, with built in IR LEDs, would probably give the best results.

I suppose, that two pack of the ANNKE Cameras, plus a Raspberry PI 2W camera solution, would then give three 'test' cameras.  The PI behind a suitable window, one ANNKE in the already mentioned preexisting position, and then the other ANNKE somewhere else, at the front, or even left alone, for later.

It would cost around £250 (very rough estimate, suspect it would be more, in practice), by the time the cameras, and extras (such as PoE routers, cables and bits and pieces, especially for the PI bits), are obtained.

I know some people in this thread, don't think SD cards, are a good idea.  I don't disagree, as such.  But I think for early experimentation and given these IP cameras, can also connect and transfer stuff onto NAS's and other storage devices.  I don't think it would be a big issue.
Anyway, depending on the results.  A suitable NVR could always be added, to the layout, and more cameras bought.  In the future.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 02:29:16 am by MK14 »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
I installed, configured and repaired security and surveillance systems in residential, commercial and industrial applications for over 25 years but was medically retired at 50, that was seven years ago and customers are still calling me for advice.   ::)

The best security you can have is a good neighbour, and preferably one with a decent surveillance system.   :)

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, MK14

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
I've encountered that too. Even if they hide their face in the shadows, they are careless enough to wear the same clothes, I've walked around the following day and easily spotted them after a couple of hours, on two occasions, and then just rang the police and let them know!

Thanks, that is both very funny, and doesn't surprise me.

In my case, I have a pretty good idea, as to what the culprits look like, causing the issues.  But, really need CCTV for the Police.  Who would then either recognize them (hopefully), or be able to find out who they are, plus video evidence, of them up to no good and/or being near recent criminal activities, in the neighborhood.

The police seem very happy with Ring video (the image is excellent for what it is - a non-adjustable camera with a very wide angle with lots of detail in the central forward-looking direction, and picks up color even in quite dark conditions) and then they can ask others in the area to check their doorbell cams etc., and gain even more insight. A friend had her dog stolen, they easily traced the thief across half the town that way, and recovered it.

It seems a good idea to experiment and see what's possible, and what suits your needs. I didn't get it right the first time at all. I initially purchased standard res analog cams (it was a long time ago) and MJPEG recorders, it was all awful. Then tried SD cameras and basic hard drive recorders in a friend's retail store, and soon learned the limitations of those too (very low frame rate as well as the low-res images). I then moved to Panasonic IP cams, they were fine at the time, but technology moves on and they were in comparison to HD cameras, not great. Also the software didn't have a lot of features. Plus they had mechanical day/night filters and a cooling fan, which eventually wore out; also, those cameras were huge in comparison to today's cameras.

Things might work ok even if not completely weatherproof; I used a non-weatherproof camera outside the front door (it was a cheap bullet-shaped camera (very small, quite covert!), with a car TFT screen inside near the door, so people could see who was outside before opening the door) it lasted many years with it's self-heat, and being under a slope so no direct rain fell on it.

Thanks, that is very interesting to know (about those RING doorbell cameras).  I'll need to look into that.

I'm glad, you have confirmed (as other(s) have mentioned as well), that experimentation, is rather or very useful.

For things like good night vision, I suspect experimentation, is increasingly important.  I remember having to find a very sensitive (indeed) camera, in my old CCTV setup, in order to work in the dark.  To a human (eye), it looked reasonably bright, even late at night.  But a conventional (otherwise good) CCTV camera, would show it as almost total blackness (in the picture).
But a super sensitive (very low lux needed) camera (IIRC SONY Bullet, probably Black and White, certainly (IIRC) at night), gave amazing results.  Fairly pricey (at the time), but well worth it.
It was a while ago, and I don't think IR Leds were so bright, cheap and available, as they are today, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, it was behind a window, so it would of been a fair bit of hassle, to sort out outside IR lighting, then.

Good and interesting point about indoor cameras, being usable outdoors, in suitable, dry and somewhat protected locations.  It increases peoples CCTV options.

Online MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor
I installed, configured and repaired security and surveillance systems in residential, commercial and industrial applications for over 25 years but was medically retired at 50, that was seven years ago and customers are still calling me for advice.   ::)

The best security you can have is a good neighbour, and preferably one with a decent surveillance system.   :)

I just need you to upload all that amazing knowledge, into some kind of deep learning or similar,  LLM system, and make that data set, available for me to use, with my favorite ChatGPT or similar, engine.

I can then get all the answers I want.

My first question might be, how much MP camera resolution do I really need?
Also, is that even one of the most important features of a CCTV security camera?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
I can then get all the answers I want.
Not really, it depends on location, lighting, orientation, accessibility and individual requirements, each of which differ from site to site, and more importantly gut instinct which only comes with experience.
This is dependent on the individual application, an outdoor camera intended for number plate identification at 50 meters in a car park will likely be different from one used for facial recognition at 5 meters in an entry foyer.
Also, is that even one of the most important features of a CCTV security camera?
From my experience it all comes down to lighting and illumination, even in bold I can't highlight that enough. A crappy old 320 line analogue camera in good light will likely provide a better image than a 4k whiz-bang thing in the dark.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Please feel free to comment on, or tear apart, this post.

What a masochist!  :popcorn:

It is dawning on me, that the permanent, outside solution, with CCTV cameras (IP), involves considerably more work, and equipment/cost, than I originally realized.

Yes, and you need to be clear as to what the purpose is. If it's to tinker with stuff on an ongoing basis and troubleshoot weird issues then you're on the right track. But if you want a reliable system which you set up and then forget about until you have to check who stole what, then I don't think this is the route to take.

First:
NVR's, can be a mixed blessing.  Some, only really work with their own range of cameras.  They tend to come with relatively small hard disks (e.g. 1TB, which is enough, I guess, really), and if they come with bigger ones, the price seems to shoot up, rather quickly and steeply.

Yes, a good one isn't cheap (although there are deals on the just-obsoleted models). The alternative that you're looking at is either upload to Google Drive and/or local storage on SD card. Neither of those options are serious: using Drive is relying on external connectivity when things are going wrong (it's the cloud and you don't like that, remember), and on-camera storage is prone to being taken when the perps nick the cameras. Further, trying to browse arbitrary events on several cameras simultaneously will quickly lead to tears, floods of same if they are different makes.

Many NVRs phone home or otherwise connect to external sites, but that's why you don't pick some random rubbish. Mine, for instance, will do all of that because, well, users are dumb and need helping along. But, importantly, it can all be disabled so it is local only. And, additionally, it's blocked at the firewall so couldn't even if it wanted. For this kind of application, anything I buy that connects to the network is setup and tested without access to the intertubes, and if it doesn't work perfectly it goes back for a refund as faulty. Ditto for cameras - it is fine for it to know and love the same make of cameras, but it has to work well with some random generic model too.

Think about some situation where you want to check if that bloody dog shit on your lawn. How are you going to zero in on when it happened, and how are you going to access the exact footage you need to email your neighbour? For me, I don't want a PC or standalone DVR where I have to sit in the cupboard under the stairs with a portable monitor and keyboard to operate the thing. A minimum is browser access to the full functionality, and a phone app (that works without cloud access) wouldn't go amiss. The DIY solutions for that tend to be ongoing time and money sinks...

However, having said that, I am a fan of just doing it cheaply and finding out exactly what I really want and need, so don't let this put you off having a go with a Pi or whatever. Just keep at the  back of your mind that it might end up going a different way, so for expensive kit it needs to be not locked into a particular cubbyhole.

They tend to come with relatively small hard disks

Anything involving hard drives I nearly always buy with the smallest, cheapest one they supply, preferably empty without any storage. I'll populate it with decent storage I've personally OK'd, and at a far cheaper price than the supply would have provided. Further, if you can't replace the storage yourself then it's faulty product since you''re screwed if/when it fails.

On cameras:
Doesn't need to be expensive stuff. One I recently purchased, for a temporary placement which has now turned permanent, was:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1LQ5THS

Looks shit, interface is, er, so-so and had a long conversation with the vendor about turning down the IR LEDs (vegetation just in front was too bright at night) which elicited the response that they are not actually adjustable but it would be fine (and not affect warranty) to just get in and snip the feed to them! But it is a great camera that works well, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another for similar situation. Best thing is it's relatively tiny, and despite being on the front of the property, no-one notices it is there.

Cable is UTP with POE, but in initial testing I ran it over WiFi using an ethernet-wifi bridge. IMO that's a perfectly reasonable way to go temporarily to check things out before laying cable.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
Another thing: camera-integrated illumination can be a world of pain. Don’t use it if you want to look through a window, or back reflection will make the camera useless at night. Visible illumination will attract insects, and spiders will build webs around the camera to catch them. Lots of spurious 8-legged motion events!

In fact anything close to the camera will be brilliantly illuminated and this will cause the actual ROI to appear very dark. This is a drawback with mounting cameras under the eaves.

The ideal would be a camera-controlled and powered, but remotely mounted, light source. I haven’t found one yet though

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
It is dawning on me, that the permanent, outside solution, with CCTV cameras (IP), involves considerably more work, and equipment/cost, than I originally realized.  Each camera would need its own Ethernet cable, and the cable runs back to the main station.  Which could be a PoE router, with enough wattage capability, for all the security lights (on the better cameras) to be powered, that can add up to a fair chunk.  Cheaper PoE routers, would not be able to handle such output loads, depending on what things you get.

I don't think this is right at all. I have not looked at prices recently and I could be wrong but I don't think so.

I am pretty sure you can get 4 basic IP cameras for $100. Of course, if you want fancy cameras with brands names it will cost more.

Cameras are pretty much all compatible. Maybe 15 years ago cameras were no so compatible but today I find it difficult to believe.

https://www.embedded.com/ip-video-surveillance-standards/

I bought my cameras on eBay 12 years ago, the cheapest I could find, and they have all worked fine. Of course, if you go to local suppliers to buy brand name equipment of the best kind then of course you will pay more.

An NVR can be bought or assembled for less than another $100. I just did.

You will need a switch which can be had for close to nothing. You can buy a used one or you can do what I do and use an ADSL router. Cost: $0

You do not need any special router and much less a router with POE which you can do separately. For recording to NVR you do not need any router at all. The router is part of you LAN which is separate and unrelated. If you want to connect the cameras to the LAN then you use whatever router you are already using. I think you are making this unnecessarily complicated.

All you need to do POE is get injector/splitter pigtails. See attached photo of the connection of one of my cameras.

You will need some Ethernet cables and I have no idea of the cost because I have not bought Ethernet cable in ages and have enough supply for several lifetimes.

In summary, my estimation is that you can get an initial 4 camera + NVR installation set up for $200 or less. Just to play it safe I will increase that to $300

All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
From my experience it all comes down to lighting and illumination, even in bold I can't highlight that enough.
Yes, it's true. Therefore sensor only SONY.
You can easily check the camera's performance. Turn it on at dusk (without backlighting), and when your eyes stop distinguishing colors, the camera should give a clear color image without noise.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor

My advice would be to get some cheap stuff and get started and you will learn plenty.

How much resolution you need is, in my estimation, the wrong question and if you ask that in the store they will ask you how much money do you want to spend. Cameras, like HDD and many other things have a sweet spot of features and price and that's where you want to go unless you have very strong reasons to go elsewhere. When I bought my cams 12 years ago the sweet spot was 720 P and that is what I got. Anything more would have meant diminishing return for my money. Today I would guess the sweet srot to be somewhere like 1200P.

My advice is to just get a first camera and connect it and get started you can view it on your computer and experiment and see the results. With that experience you can get another camera. then a third one. Then NVR etc.

It costs almost nothing to get started and you will learn and feel more confident.

I ended up having more cameras than I need because I played around and set and exchanged cameras. It is not expensive.

The PTZ feature I do not find that useful as I would hardly ever use it. Unless you really know you want it I would not pay for it. It makes sense for a security guard permanently watching and surveying. For a home system I do not find it worth paying for.

As for lighting outdoors you have daylight and I have already explained the capabilities of IR which you can enhance with additional "IR illuminators".

I would avoid WIFI but it might make sense in certain situations like a very large property with a very long driveway and you want to have a remote camera there and the capability to see  who is there and unlock the gate for them. Then you can always put a camera on a pole with solar panels and battery and connect with WIFI.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
@All

I gave MK14 a call and we had a thorough and detailed discussion as to his immediate security concerns and requirements. I will leave it to him to expand upon this if he so wishes but will just say that due to the premise layout and construction a diy or self installation is impractical, it's a two storey solid brick building which requires the assistance of a professional installer.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
I would probably disagree. Of course for anyone who has the money and does not want to invest time or effort hiring a pro is the way to go.  But if you have the time and interest I think it is better to know your system and have control over it. I much prefer to have total control over this kind of things.

I am in my seventies and I have a two story brick house with roof eaves which are about 8 m above ground and I have no problem getting up there. But even if I were wheelchair bound and could not get up there I would just hire someone, some handyman, to do that part of the work and I would do the configuration and connections myself. 

I do not see the point of paying a pro to do something I can do myself. If I am a rich and busy businessman whose time is worth a lot then yes. But being retired I prefer to do it myself and not only to save money but also to know exactly how the system is configured and works.

And not only the installation. When something fails or acts wonky or you want to change something, you are in the hands of the pro who knows what he did. And you pay him again.

And if he is not available you need to get someone else who is going to tell you the previous guy did a terrible job and now he has to charge you to fix it.

If I do the job and I do a terrible job then I am also the next guy and I just tell myself I did a terrible job but I do it for free.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf