Author Topic: CCTV (home) options, especially ones without any subscriptions or cloud use  (Read 5347 times)

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
if your not keen on heights you maybe better hiring a scaff tower for a weekend.

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
if your not keen on heights you maybe better hiring a scaff tower for a weekend.

The cameras will need to be readily accessible for periodic cleaning, they get dirty, dusty and covered in cobwebs, more so when IR illumination is used as it attracts insects which inturn attract spiders.

22/06/2024_06:15:24_Activity Camera 07_ Big Black Hairy Spider.   :scared:

Offline MK14Topic starter

• Super Contributor

The cameras will need to be readily accessible for periodic cleaning, they get dirty, dusty and covered in cobwebs, more so when IR illumination is used as it attracts insects which inturn attract spiders.

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that.  A possible alternative, is these very long extension brush cleaning kits.  Which might avoid the need to involve ladders or scaffolding.

E.g. Microfiber Duster, Feather Duster Cleaning Kit with Telescoping Extension Pole, around £17.  Much cheaper ones, seem to exist as well, but may have less stuff in the kit.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 11:12:07 pm by MK14 »

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor

If you have cams with PTZ enclosed in a dome I suppose that is less of a problem but yes I want to have access to the cameras any time because they can fail and need repair or maintenance.   But i have to say I have cameras under the roof eaves which are indoor cameras and they hold up well and have not given me problems with dirt etc.

I "inject" the power voltage into the Ethernet cable and the outdoor connectors I wrap with insulating tape just to protect from dust, condensation, etc.

And, yes, I have had insects even just position themselves in the very center of the lens covering it. I do not know if it it because it is warm or if they are attracted to the shiny lens and are trying to mate with it or something.

My system failed a couple years ago and I assumed it was the NVR so I put together another one but then I found out it was not the NVR at all but the PSU that powered it so I just replaced the PSU and left the same old NVR and now I have a spare NVR. And I already had spare cameras. Maybe I need to buy another home just so I can put them to use.

Another thing is that I have a camera mounted on the end of a long board because I cannot reach where the camera is placed so I place the camera on a board and then I secure the other end of the board. The camera goes at one end where I have even made a hood to protect it from the weather and the other end is fixed to the wall with two screws.

You could even devise a sliding rail so the camera could be slid into position or retrieved.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 11:42:49 pm by soldar »
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor

Not sure if its up to the job keeping them big buggers you get down under at bay though

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
I suppose, now I think about it.  That the user base here (in many cases), can lend itself to setting up network connections, messing around with IP addresses, using Linux (if the applicable camera/CCTV solution needs it, such as with the PI Zeros) where necessary, and is happy to mess around with many complicated (to 'normal' non-electronics/engineering people), wiring and connection types.

Sometimes it's just the convenience even if one is engineering-minded. I ran a Synology server with licenses for two cameras (Panasonic ones pretty expensive : ( with wired (PoE) connections, for about 10 years at home, but switched out to cloud-based ones for the past three years. I don't like opening ports on router (granted there are other options), and, as good as the software was on the Synology device, the mobile app for the cloud-based one is better. Super-easy to upload to YouTube within a minute if the police want a copy (it's helped out multiple times over the three years), image quality more than acceptable, works great night-time too; I don't need state-of-the-art imaging for home security. Not all my cameras are wired any more, I'm fine with that, I've not lost any footage (a decent WiFi access point is needed for home working anyway).

There's no right way and wrong way, I just made the decision that suited me, and if the costs ever go too high, I'll reconsider. It's an acceptable cost so far (about $100 per year for unlimited cameras).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 12:17:13 am by shabaz »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
I don't even have a home server but I find it difficult to understand that a server would be using the bandwidth of several cameras 24/7.
Seeding a few torrents will do that. And it would be largely random accesses which results in constant seeking, theoretically causing more wear than security cameras which are largely sequential access.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
There's no right way and wrong way, I just made the decision that suited me, and if the costs ever go too high, I'll reconsider. It's an acceptable cost so far (about $100 per year for unlimited cameras).

You're right.  Each household needs to make their own mind up, as to how to do it.  Doing it all, via people from the existing household, or with subscription based services, or even using companies that will install a CCTV system, for a home.  Are all valid options.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
Don’t forget battery backup of whatever sort. I’m using two UPS’s: one for the Mac Mini running Security Spy (which is my general purpose computer) and another for the network infrastructure - PoE switches, router, ONT, phones etc. I aim for 45 minutes autonomy. Most power cuts here are just a few seconds, only rarely is the power off for an hour or more.

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
I am currently running a system with 20+ camera's with varying inputs /outputs and this across a large property (5 acre's )
16 analog cameras goto two hikision DVR's whose output also is sent onto a remote nas running AgentDVR and the whole setup is on a small solar rig.
Additional to the analog units with have many EZVIZ wifi/lan camera's who all report back to agent DVR , no camera has internet access, when updates are needed i grab the file and manually upload to each camera.

I have another site which is almost identical except it runs Shinobi and the back end NVR for all devices.
a point to note, Shinobi(linux) is fully open source and has no real license limits the AgentDVR app (windows,linux,mac) has limits in place, it's able to detect VPN access and remote access (port forward) and will block it without the paid license which matter not for me as there is a pc onsite that displays all cameras on a large tv 24/7 and i have remote desktop access to that pc so viewing and controlling AgentDVR remotely is very easy.

Both systems also have Home Assistant integrated so thing like gate lights can be triggered if there is recorded movement.

EZVIZ is hikvision by another name so the provided apps will work and configure them , the offical desktop app (EZVision) can be blocked from internet and still function but mobile app cant.

There are a number of camera's support by the opencctv software and that list can be found on the ipcamtalk forums along with guides and tips. do note that some camera functions are dropped over raw function and service and some still rely on factory blobs too. proceed  there with caution.

bandwidth wise when the system idle talking to the 20+ camera's it's around 600KBytes/s when the offices are busy it will just to around 1MB, i have FPS limits in place depending on time, normal working hours mon-fri it's 10fps as my staff are not the concern, Homeassist is able to override this and record all camera's at 30fps and this is triggered via 433mhz remotes,PC or any phone on local wifi

darkspr1te

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
I have several cameras and an NVR from Ubiquiti. Everything is stored locally, and I can access it remotely if necessary.  All basically plug and play, and has been rock solid for several years now.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Lots of advice given so far, and here's another bit...

My system has been in place for a loooong time so has evolved rather than been designed from scratch. I am still using four analog cameras, and additionally have several IP cameras. I prefer analog because of the immediacy (no lag - IP cameras can lag by a LOT) and better degradation. If the signal goes bad (poor wiring or something) the resolution turns pants but you still have usable video. With IP it's just a stuttering mess of blocks. But analog is not high resolution.

If I were starting again I would first sort out the NVR - cameras are many and varied and easily acquired, but the NVR determines what you can do with your system. I've tried a few PC-based and standalone boxes (and designed a commercial system) and my first choice now would be a Dahua of some kind. The main reason for that is the motion detection, which isn''t just motion detection but recognises people, vehicles, etc. But the magic part is that you can set traps and trigger when an object crosses the trap (this way, that way, both ways). So, for instance, looking at our drive there is a bunch of moving vegatation and a road with passing traffic. The trigger is a line drawn across the top of the drive and it only triggers is something crosses that (to come up the drive). Everything else is ignored. There is also a box drawn around the car and that triggers when the car either disappears or arrives - it's not movement per se but something appearing or disappearing within the box. As a result, it captures everything it should and nothing it shouldn't. Simples. I presume other manufacturers may have similar features.

Having got that sorted, the next thing is cameras. IP is the rage nowadays, but check that your NVR will use the desired features with the cameras. For instance, the great triggering on the Dahua only works with analog inputs (on this model) and relies on IP cameras doing their own alert stuff and letting the NVR know about it. Not sure why that is, but could be related to compression and throughput. Analog signals have many chips available to process them whereas digital cameras get the software treatment.

IP cameras or whatever flavour should have ONVIF connectivity, and then they will talk to just about anything. Ones that don't allow that are often either vendor-locked or require a cloud connection (or, more likely, both) so don't buy one that doesn't do it. IME, even if a camera looks a bit so-so, if it does ONVIF you can ignore all the built-in rubbish and just stream that.

POE is worth keeping in mind for simplicity of cabling, but it can get expensive real fast to use only gigabit POE switches. Most cheaper cameras would need a POE adapter to 12V too, so if they're close to a power point that can be simpler. It's also worth arranging things so all your IP cameras are on a separate physical subnet to your computer LAN - with them streaming 24/7 that's a fair amount of bandwith your pron downloads could use. In practice, that might just mean having all the feeds arrive in the same switch that the NVR is on (as opposed to traversing several switches to get there) since the switch can deal with port-to-port routing.

WiFi, as already noted, isn't good for security, but don't discount it out of hand. Sometimes you can get power to some location but data (or video) is a showstopper. Currently we have a WiFi camera out back watching out for foxes approaching the electric fence, and it works pretty good. Surprisingly good, actually, but if I could get a CAT5 (we're not fussy) out there I would do that instead. But needs must and all that - something is often better than nothing.

The following users thanked this post: Gregg, MK14

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
Lots of advice given so far, and here's another bit...

My system has been in place for a loooong time so has evolved rather than been designed from scratch. I am still using four analog cameras, and additionally have several IP cameras. I prefer analog because of the immediacy (no lag - IP cameras can lag by a LOT) and better degradation. If the signal goes bad (poor wiring or something) the resolution turns pants but you still have usable video. With IP it's just a stuttering mess of blocks. But analog is not high resolution.

You can absolutely get 4K analog cameras now, the frame rate is kinda low but sufficient for CCTV.  I seem to recall it was around 12Hz.  A colleague of mine brought one of his cameras in and I checked on a scope - it does genuinely output 3840 lines of data.  The standard is some kind of modified high-resolution component video with a 40MHz colourburst so probably hitting the limit for analog but certainly enough for most applications.

example system
https://www.annke.com/products/e800-8ch-4-cam-system#specification

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
4k analog is impressive.

But it's swings and roundabouts. I have one run of UTP that has two camera feeds plus gate control running down it. If I use IP cameras I'd have to have another run (for the control) and a switch at the far end. So that's dealing with more power and weatherproofing the whole thing. Analog cameras are great there.

On the other hand, a single UTP run to the garage handles an access point, three WiFi cameras and remote control of the CNC mill.

Another advantage of IP cameras is that you can access them directly without going through the NVR, perhaps for config or live monitoring.

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
from personal experience CCTV does not stop intruders! it only shows that an unknown person is breaking and entering.
because CCTV cannot remove a face mask or balaclava.  todays masked intruders are Not afraid of video surveillance.
only a mantrap can stop & hold an intruder. a bear trap is a bit extreme!
most people leave there car keys on the kitchen table.

Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

• Super Contributor
from personal experience CCTV does not stop intruders! it only shows that an unknown person is breaking and entering.
because CCTV cannot remove a face mask or balaclava.  todays masked intruders are Not afraid of video surveillance.
only a mantrap can stop & hold an intruder. a bear trap is a bit extreme!
most people leave there car keys on the kitchen table.

In the UK, man-traps would be illegal.

Even if the intruders/vandals/etc, are wearing face masks.  The police can see their other clothes, which means that they can connect them to other crimes and combine all the evidence to try and identify who they are.

Also, these criminals, seem to take those masks off, before and after the crime area.  So (hypothetically), if the intruder, was wearing worn out blue jeans, with some kind of sticker, on the back, and a torn T-shirt, which says EEV on it.  If the police grab other CCTV in the area, which shows a person, wearing those cloths, but without a face mask, they are beginning to narrow down on the suspect(s) identities.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
Booby traps are illegal in all civilized countries and for good reason.

I agree in principle that cameras do not deter intruders for the most part but they are still very useful. I have stopped several break-ins next door and across the street just because I was watching the cameras and called the police. Also the recording can be used as evidence if they are caught. Also crooks seem to be especially dumb and many times do not bother even trying to cover or disguise themselves.

One morning the neighbors saw two women just go in next door and when we called the police they claimed squatters rights to stay claiming they had been living there for long time etc. And the police are more reluctant to evict women. It is true they had the keys to the locks on the door but when I reviewed the video I saw two men had changed the locks the previous evening, unseen. That proved these women had just moved in.   

Another time some guy was breaking in but fled when he noticed we had seen him. When the police stopped him two blocks away he denied ever having been here but the video recording showed it was him.

I also had the recording of a confrontation with an a-hole police officer and I was glad to have it on tape even with no audio but the neighbors were my best evidence of what happened and how the guy was abusive and totally out of line.

And I find them useful for other things. Something broke or is out of place and it makes me nervous to think someone did it but then I review the video and see it was the wind or a cat.

I find the CCTV useful in many ways.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 02:41:07 pm by soldar »
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, MK14

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
Booby traps are illegal in all civilized countries and for good reason
Maybe not suitable for domestic use,but coloured smoke grenades not only disorientate the intruder ,but can also stain them a lovely shade of orange.

Offline vad

• Frequent Contributor

In the UK, man-traps would be illegal.

Even if the intruders/vandals/etc, are wearing face masks.  The police can see their other clothes, which means that they can connect them to other crimes and combine all the evidence to try and identify who they are.

Also, these criminals, seem to take those masks off, before and after the crime area.  So (hypothetically), if the intruder, was wearing worn out blue jeans, with some kind of sticker, on the back, and a torn T-shirt, which says EEV on it.  If the police grab other CCTV in the area, which shows a person, wearing those cloths, but without a face mask, they are beginning to narrow down on the suspect(s) identities.

If the goal is to assist local law enforcement, go for CCTV. It is unclear how this would improve the existing network of CCTVs from neighbors, local businesses and ATMs, though.

For the protection of personal property, comprehensive contents and/or car insurance is the way to go. To protect the lives and well-being of you and your loved ones, a firearm is a better choice. CCTV is completely useless for that.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
a firearm is a better choice
and here in the uk will get you a longer time inside than the scrotes who broke into your property

The following users thanked this post: tom66, MK14

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Booby traps are illegal in all civilized countries and for good reason
Maybe not suitable for domestic use,but coloured smoke grenades not only disorientate the intruder ,but can also stain them a lovely shade of orange.

There is a product - Smokecloak - which does pretty much exactly that. Alarm triggers, place fills with smoke withing seconds and the perp is doing well if he can find the door he's just come through.

Offline Postal2

• Regular Contributor
There is a product - Smokecloak .....
I cannot find formula of their gas. But I successfully used smoke for garden to kick away criminals (insecticidal smoke, caustic). It's very cheap cartridges with fast and massive smoke.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 05:06:17 pm by Postal2 »

• Super Contributor
I cannot find formula of their gas. But I successfully used smoke for garden to kick away criminals (insecticidal smoke, caustic). It's very cheap cartridges with fast and massive smoke.

Surely it is better to use the local Police force, in most places.  Because, sorting it out yourself like that, could end up annoying those criminals, who could come back, possibly along with their mates as well, with shot guns or similar, and take out their revenge on you, your friends and family, as well as your property.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
CCTV cameras do deter theft, because the thieves will rather not take the risk and burgle your neighbour instead.   >:D

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Surely it is better to use the local Police force, in most places.

:-DD

By the time they decide they're not going to come out to take a statement after all, your stuff has probably been already sold on Ebay. Nowadays they just issue a crime number and expect you to claim off insurance.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf