Author Topic: Calling all PC experts - I have a weird keyboard issue  (Read 9621 times)

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Calling all PC experts - I have a weird keyboard issue
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 07:08:13 pm »
You should.  Beats sending it back, waiting weeks, and getting another one, maybe with the same problem.

I agree.

Well I dove in and let me tell you, that plug is potted to the max. Essentially non-repairable, but I got to the connectors, and sure enough the white wire (data +) popped right off the end. The red wire don't look too good either. I have plenty off spare USB cables so I will just cut off the end and wire it to the KB connector. Hopefully the color coding is the same.  :-\
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 07:35:40 pm »
Wire colour codes china rarely match so make sure you use your meter to verify the correct connection. Also if the wire on the scavanged cable is good consider running it directly into the keyboard, it makes for a neater job.

I like to use thin more flexible cable for keyboards because I tend to move them and the wire knocks things over.   

Offline fluxcapacitor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 09:08:42 pm »
The pinout looks ok.You can get usb sockets on ebay,or use a spare usb cable from something else and solder it at the keyboard side .Anyway,glad you found the problem.

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Type-A-Male-USB-4-Pin-Plug-Socket-Connector-Plastic-Cover-/271249806358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f27bf9416

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »
Wire colour codes china rarely match so make sure you use your meter to verify the correct connection. Also if the wire on the scavanged cable is good consider running it directly into the keyboard, it makes for a neater job.

It would be neater that way but I just did a simple splice. I matched up the colors and lo and behold the problem is now gone.  :-+

If the Ebay seller decides to send me another one without requiring a return I'll have two, if he wants a return I'll just tell him I'll fix it myself. But normally they don't want any negative ratings so they will pretty much do whatever to satisfy the customer.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions, on to the next adventure.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 11:43:09 am »
Reply from Ebay seller -

Thanks for taking time and writing to us.

I am very sorry for any confusion we have caused to you, would you please advise us if can see
the keyboard flaw by sight , if possible would you please take a picture for the product you received from us and send us the picture will be highly appreciated, we will check and help you sort it out .

Please don’t worry, if really keyboard can’t work properly ,we will can resend you replacement ,but hope we can resolve the problem without return, and you will can keep the original one work well.

If you have any other question or request please feel free to email us, i will keep here to help you.Have a nice day.

Regards.
Joy

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 11:54:18 am »
I still prefer PS/2 keyboards, if for nothing other than the fact that they tend to require much less fussing around to work and can easily be interfaced to microcontroller projects.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 12:44:17 pm »
I still prefer PS/2 keyboards, if for nothing other than the fact that they tend to require much less fussing around to work and can easily be interfaced to microcontroller projects.
So I guess your not big on wireless usb keyboards then ;)

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 05:25:35 pm »
Cable terminations can be a real problem in "random" appliances.  I've had several iPod cables go bad, and when dissected the failure was due to poor connections (easily shortable, for instance) or (more often) inadequate strain-relief leading to broken wires.  I'd blame this on cut-rate manufacturers, but I really don't have much evidence that genuine brand-name products are any better.

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »
I've had an $80 mechanical keyboard fail because the internal strain relief on the USB cable wasn't up to snuff, causing the cable to break, causing intermittent loss of connection and eventually total death. I want to put a new USB cable in it eventually, but can't get the housing open...
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 11:22:27 am »
Sent them a pic of the USB connector and got this back.

"will can take it work well" ?  :palm:

Thanks for your friendship.

I am really very sorry for the problem , if you can fix it back and will can take it work well will be wonderfull,we will refund you partial or money for the compensation,is this alright for
you?

Or would you please help to check if return it to our China address the postage cost and please advise us, if possible hope you can return to us, we will can resend you replacement or refund you for your optional.

If you have any other question or request please feel free to email us,we will try our best to
meet you.

Regards.
Joy

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »
Sent them a pic of the USB connector and got this back.

"will can take it work well" ?  :palm:

Thanks for your friendship.

I am really very sorry for the problem , if you can fix it back and will can take it work well will be wonderfull,we will refund you partial or money for the compensation,is this alright for
you?

Or would you please help to check if return it to our China address the postage cost and please advise us, if possible hope you can return to us, we will can resend you replacement or refund you for your optional.

If you have any other question or request please feel free to email us,we will try our best to
meet you.

Regards.
Joy

Wow. Just... wow.

Looks like they just pasted from google translate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf