Author Topic: Buying parts  (Read 4867 times)

Offline TorqueRangerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Buying parts
« on: November 16, 2012, 02:26:27 am »
I might be given a job to rebuild something that needs alot of Capacitors  but I am not sure who to buy the parts from since I have only bought parts from Radio Shack ... I was going to place an order through Mouser but it seems that they charge alot for shipping but anyways please post up who you buy through with in the USA since I live in the U.S. and your experiences with different companies ..

Thanks
JAy

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Buying parts
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 02:30:29 am »
Digikey,  free shipping on orders over $X (x depends on country)

In fact most of the electronic suppliers have free shipping if your order is over $25/$50/$100/ or whatever

Infact, from memory, if you post digikey a mail order you get free ground shipping on orders of any value.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:36:35 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline SherlockOhms

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:17:09 am »
I prefer Digikey over Mouser only because stuff seems to get to me faster.   They are both good.

Offline ElectonicaThomas

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:45:41 am »
Check out Tayda Electronics or Futurlec Cheers Tom

Offline Kremmen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 07:13:33 am »
I use mostly Mouser but DK as well. I get free deliveries from Mouser for orders over x €, can't remember the exact amount. But it is very similar to Digikey, and should work the same for you too. My reasons to favor Mouser are that they have a distribution center in Stockholm Sweden and stuff moves quickly over the border to me. Also both are in EU so no hassle with customs.
For small orders i use a group order service from Digikey. This is something you cannot do since it is run by a Finnish small company as a free service. Very handy when you only need a couple of components, or something not stocked by Mouser. You only pay for the letter from this company + a tiny premium for handling.

When you are after budget components, i too recommend Tayda and Futurlec. Some time ago i made a series of 40 kits for a CNC mill spindle speedometer using 1" 7-segment displays. Tayda offered hands down the cheapest components and got the order for 200 of those + plenty of other stuff.
Another time i ordered a few hunderd small terminal strips from Tayda but they somehow lost the shipping. The order showed as collected but they coudn't locate it so they promptly refunded me. The only damage was lost time which in this case was not critical. Other than that, clockwork.
Nothing sings like a kilovolt.
Dr W. Bishop

Offline poorchava

• Super Contributor
  • Troll Cave Electronics!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:41:44 am »
What do you mean by 'a lot of capacitors'. U mean 50 different values, 2 of each or 500 or identical value. In the latter case you can think about buying from source. Also depends on whether you run you business or want to buy as a private person. Most of distributors (Arrow, Future, RS, EBV) won't do business with private people.
I love the smell of FR4 in the morning!

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:58:38 pm »
Future Electronics has good prices for Electrolytic Capacitors but the selection is not that big, be careful with the back ordered items as they would charge you the $9.xx shipping even if they're sending you a 1 cent part. :(
I think all of the big companies will collect taxes on the 50 states.

Offline George_Race

• Regular Contributor
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 03:08:29 pm »
One of the best places to find information on capacitors is here:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/
Everything you ever wanted to know about capacitors.
Hope this helps,
George

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 03:34:36 pm »
I like Allied as my first look. They are often cheaper, but not always, than Mouser, digikey, and Newark

Offline TorqueRangerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 04:27:35 pm »
What do you mean by 'a lot of capacitors'. U mean 50 different values, 2 of each or 500 or identical value. In the latter case you can think about buying from source. Also depends on whether you run you business or want to buy as a private person. Most of distributors (Arrow, Future, RS, EBV) won't do business with private people.
Well I am rebuilding a T.V and it needs alot of different Valve caps with a possibility of need alot of the same caps too
Thread is here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects-designs-and-technical-stuff/current-rebuild/msg163826/?topicseen#msg163826

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »
I like Allied as my first look. They are often cheaper, but not always, than Mouser, digikey, and Newark
+1

I find All-Spec is the same way for tools.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:22:57 pm »
Wait, valve caps?
What's that?
Just buy from Allied(which is actually RS) or Newark or Digikey and avoid the Samwha caps they sell

Offline billclay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »
Infact, from memory, if you post digikey a mail order you get free ground shipping on orders of any value.

I didn't realize this.  Free shipping (US) and no minimum order amount!

From DigiKey T&C:

6.  Shipping Charges.  Except as otherwise provided on the Site, (1) shipping or freight charges and insurance will be paid by the customer*, (2) all sales are made FOB Digi-Key's warehouse in Thief River Falls, MN, USA, and (3) shipping or freight charges from Digi-Key's warehouse in Thief River Falls, MN, USA are prepaid and added to the invoice, billed collect or billed to a third party.  Shipping Cost Estimator

* When a check or money order accompanies your order, Digi-Key pays all shipping and insurance (our choice for method of shipping) to all addresses in the U.S. and Canada.

Shipments of excessive weight or size may require additional charges. Digi-Key will notify you prior to shipment if these conditions exist.

7.  Handling Charge.  There is no minimum order or handling fee.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf