Author Topic: Screwdriver recommendations?  (Read 12119 times)

Online kwass

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Screwdriver recommendations?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 05:36:32 am »
I recently got rid of some Xcelite nutdrivers that still smelled bad after 30 years :(

Me too!  I had the PS-120 nutdriver and PS-88 screwdriver kits also stored in a semi open tool box.  They just got to the point of smelling so bad I couldn't use them.  I replaced them with the Xcelite 99PA50 set of nutdrivers/screwdrivers and a couple of handles.

They don't look nearly as cool and they're not as convenient but they don't smell at all.

-katie

Offline MrSlackTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 06:41:59 am »
Rather glad I didn't go with Xcelite now!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 04:15:28 pm »
Huh.  I have both the PS-88 and PS-120 sets too.  I keep them in their little plastic cases (makes it obvious if one has gone astray) and have never been bothered by the smell (which is undeniably there).  I don't find it to be that terribly strong, and it's only really noticeable to me if I put my nose right up to them.

I guess we all find different things objectionable, huh?  (Or perhaps I fried my nose years ago at Nat Semi with acetone, xylene, IPA, developer, phototresist, etc...)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online kwass

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 05:59:09 pm »
Huh.  I have both the PS-88 and PS-120 sets too.  I keep them in their little plastic cases (makes it obvious if one has gone astray) and have never been bothered by the smell (which is undeniably there).  I don't find it to be that terribly strong, and it's only really noticeable to me if I put my nose right up to them.

How long have you had them?  When they were new, 25+ years ago, the smell wasn't bad at all. It gets worse with time.
-katie

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 07:51:50 pm »
How long have you had them?  When they were new, 25+ years ago, the smell wasn't bad at all. It gets worse with time.

Perhaps two years at this point.  There's a set at work that's probably 7 or 8 years old that's not bad (apparently yet) either.  I have to admit, that's the opposite of what I'd expect - figured that any odor would lessen over time rather than increasing.  Strange.  I also have a 99PS40 type set that's pushing 30 buried somewhere; I'll have to dig it out and take a whiff - haven't seen it in a few years now...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf