Author Topic: Best Wire Strippers for small AWG Electronic Repair in 2022?  (Read 9971 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Best Wire Strippers for small AWG Electronic Repair in 2022?
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2022, 10:17:54 pm »
Oh yeah, one last small fully automatic stripper: the WEICON 51000002. It’s a cute little thing that works much like a tiny Stripax. Very small and easy to use. The big downside, and the only reason I don’t love it, is that the minimum strip length is much too long (5mm) for my applications. But if that’s fine for your needs, it could be an option.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2022, 11:08:44 pm »
Oh yeah, one last small fully automatic stripper: the WEICON 51000002. It’s a cute little thing that works much nothing like a tiny Stripax.
Straight blade rotary stripper, yep completely nothing at all like a stripax and at the opposite end of the stripping method table I suggested. Definitely not "automatic" when it needs so many hand movements.

For the wire range you gave, the best full-automatic stripper I’ve used is the Knipex 12 52 195. (It’s like a Stripax, just a bit more optimized for smaller wires.) I have one of these at work and plan on getting one for at home.
Pictured below, its a u/v blade stripper with a tension adjustment. They claim a much wider working range than the stripax competitors, but don't offer the "magic" stripax model: segmented blades with tension adjustment and free placing of (multiple) wires to strip simultaneously.

Offline bfloresTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2022, 11:40:36 pm »
Just doing a bump for 2022.  I need to buy a new wire stripper.  What's your favorite or recommend Wire Stripper in 2022? ...for smaller gauge stranded wire (i.e. 22awg to 30awg). 

I purchased the WEICON Wire Stripper No. 5, as a test, since it was so cheap ($24).   But, not sure if the $100+ Knipex MultiStrip 10, Weidmüller STRIPAX, are worth the coin.
All these answers so far, yet nobody stopped to ask you what your requirements are!

For the wire range you gave, the best full-automatic stripper I’ve used is the Knipex 12 52 195. (It’s like a Stripax, just a bit more optimized for smaller wires.) I have one of these at work and plan on getting one for at home.

But it really depends on your needs. In particular, the strip length and cleanness of the insulation incision vary a lot. In particular, if you need to crimp to small contacts like JST XH or smaller, you need a precision stripper if you want uniform wire lengths. Small contacts like that can have a strip range of, for example, 1.7-2.3mm. The minimum strip length of 5mm ±1mm or so of fully automatic strippers like Stripax simply isn’t useful for those contacts. (Additionally, fully automatic strippers don’t generally cut super cleanly. Totally fine for most things, but not for really small contacts.)

The kind I have been using for short, precise stripping lengths are the CK precision ones like the one in the attached photo. They come both in a few ranges of adjustable (with the 330013 covering exactly the range you want) or single fixed wire gauges. (Note that the mm sizes on those are diameter, not cross sectional area, and that the AWG numbers are for solid wire. Stranded wire is 2 gauges larger in terms of stripping size, e.g. a 22AWG stranded wire is the same diameter as 20AWG solid, so use a 20AWG stripper.) What I love about these is that the strip depth stop can be set extremely small, and without fixed steps (like Stripax and co, which are in 1mm steps). The downside is that it’s not automatic, and that they’re in extremely short supply right now. I ordered one in November and it finally came in April. They are sold under many other brand names, some with better availability, but at higher prices.

Thermal is super gentle on the conductors, but can leave slight bulges on the end of the wire which may not work with some crimp contacts.

As for the manual pliers-style strippers, I highly recommend the Klein-Kurve series from Klein Tools. The 11057 (photo also attached) perfectly matches your range of wire sizes. They’re very well made, the blades are very precisely ground, and both laser-marked and stamped with both solid and stranded sizes. And they are comfy.

Another kind of automatic stripper is the military style ones like the Ideal Stripmaster. They use precision dies and cut very cleanly, but are very expensive, and only cover a few gauges per unit. Also, you can’t be sloppy when using them, in that you have to squeeze them all the way before releasing, otherwise the mechanism can’t properly release the wire before they close again, resulting in bent wire.

Tooki you are AMAZING!! Thank you!! This may be exactly the perfect tool! I had no idea these existed.  I just ordered the C.K Tools 330011 (20-30awg) from Newark.com (AVNET). They have them in stock.  Looking forward to testing all of these cable strippers.  Using the search term "PRECISION cable strippers" will keep me occupied for a couple of days online.. for sure..  THANK YOU!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 11:56:09 pm by bflores »

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2022, 11:57:29 pm »
I also threw the Ideal-Tek WS3620 in the cart as well, based on Adafruit youtube video.

The following users thanked this post: jimjam

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2022, 12:03:54 am »
Oh yeah, one last small fully automatic stripper: the WEICON 51000002. It’s a cute little thing that works much nothing like a tiny Stripax.
Straight blade rotary stripper, yep completely nothing at all like a stripax and at the opposite end of the stripping method table I suggested. Definitely not "automatic" when it needs so many hand movements.
Yeah, you’re right. It’s been quite a while since I tried out the one we got at work. (I abandoned it very quickly since the 5mm minimum strip length makes it useless for the small contacts I needed it for.)

As for the Knipex, lemme double check the model number tomorrow when I’m at work, because I don’t think that jaw looks like what I remember. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 12:15:33 am by tooki »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2022, 12:11:35 am »
I also threw the Ideal-Tek WS3620 in the cart as well, based on Adafruit youtube video.

That looks the same as the Weicon I posted. Honestly, i think if you get the CK, you’re unlikely to end up using this.  (I have two CKs (a 330011 and a 330013) — and plan to get more — because when making cables, I can have one set for the crimp terminals on one end, and another for whatever else I’m doing. First world problem, I know! :P)

The Weicon/Idealtek one, you squeeze, then release, rotate, and then pull off. With the CK, you set the wire size, then squeeze, turn a small amount (a wiggle is practically enough), pull off, and then release.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2022, 12:21:03 am »
Pictured below, its a u/v blade stripper with a tension adjustment. They claim a much wider working range than the stripax competitors, but don't offer the "magic" stripax model: segmented blades with tension adjustment and free placing of (multiple) wires to strip simultaneously.
What do you mean by “segmented” blade? Stripax blades are one straight blade on top, one on the bottom.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2022, 05:05:45 am »
What do you mean by “segmented” blade? Stripax blades are one straight blade on top, one on the bottom.
Their valued patent was for segmented blades that conform around the wire, completely automatic, no size adjustment., single action stripping of multiple conductors.

While that is still available as a "stripax", Weidmuller also sell a bunch of u/v or straight blade strippers under the same branding/look so it gets very confusing unless you actually talk about the specific stripping technology. Just like a curie point soldering iron /= "metcal" type as they brand all sorts of things now.

However, "automatic" seems to be bandied about with no caution :P 30 posts in and still the communication is just shouting random words that no-one agrees on the meaning of ....

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2022, 05:54:23 am »
Outstanding wire stripper.  Holds sharpness, easily repeatably precise, thoroughly dependable.  No muss, no fuss, just perfecto every time.  Marketed under both Greenlee and Paladin brands.  Easily precisely strips all the way to 30 AWG Kynar wire.  Also available in a big brother size wire stripper (same overall tool size just handles larger 10-24 AWG diameter wires).  Available on Amazon as a 2 tool set for $30.   Hard to imagine a reason to buy any other wire strippers.

https://www.jensentools.com/greenlee-pa1118-stripper-wire-progrip-20-ergonomic-30-20-awg/p/618pl1118

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2022, 06:15:31 am »
However, "automatic" seems to be bandied about with no caution :P 30 posts in and still the communication is just shouting random words that no-one agrees on the meaning of ....
Automatic in the title(Best Wire Strippers for small AWG Electronic Repair in 2022?) context means auto-adjusting the stripping diameter and length; at least that's meaning for me.
Of course, if you have the budget, you can go BIG  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2022, 06:22:45 am »
Their valued patent was for segmented blades that conform around the wire, completely automatic, no size adjustment., single action stripping of multiple conductors.

While that is still available as a "stripax", Weidmuller also sell a bunch of u/v or straight blade strippers under the same branding/look so it gets very confusing unless you actually talk about the specific stripping technology. Just like a curie point soldering iron /= "metcal" type as they brand all sorts of things now.
Can you give an example of a model with the segmented blades? I don’t think I’ve ever seen them.

That is a good point! I can think of various aspects of automaticness (somehow, that invented word seems more apt than “automation” :p )
- automatic wire size adjustment vs. set-once (like the yellow CK ones) vs. selecting the right opening on each use (like with the Klein and Ideal ones shown)
- how much adjustment does the cutter need, even in “automatic” ones like Stripax.
- “one squeeze” operation to cut and pull off the insulation
- fully automatic (no squeeze) stripping where wires are inserted by hand (not covered in this thread)
- industrial full automatic where a machine does it without human intervention

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2022, 08:27:32 am »

Can you give an example of a model with the segmented blades? I don’t think I’ve ever seen them.
The current model 9005000000 uses them 0.08-10mm² AWG 28-8. Going back through stock here, they don't have model numbers printed on the units so its hard to determine. But 2 stripax's: 0.08-6mm2 AWG 28-10, and an 80's 0.5-4.0mm2 AWG 20-11, both have the same design of segmented blades pivoted at length and held against a conforming/rubber pad. It was the defining characteristic, that made them work so superior to all other options.

... that said the Panduit ST-100 claims a single automatic range of 0.03-16 mm2 with an unknown blade method, and Molex 63817-0000 with a "straight" blade claims 0.05-10.00 mm2 AWG 34-8

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2022, 08:38:19 am »
One caveat with the Stripax-style strippers, especially the Knipex model I suggest above: the blades are fairly delicate. DO NOT strip anything but copper wire with them, DO NOT attempt to strip wire larger than the maximum, and DO NOT let kids or careless adults play with them. I’ve seen new blades get ruined in under a week by careless people who play around with tools and clamp down on steel wire or a component or whatever “for fun”.

In the hands of a careful person they’ll last a long time.
Knipex Multistrip 10 looks similar to Stripax on a first glance but is not even close (I own both). Total trash which is often sold for more than Stripax. Complete waste of money. I suspect their newer PreciStrip16 may be OK by its looks and considering it's  adjustable but would not take chances spending money on Knipex stripper.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 08:44:06 am by wraper »

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2022, 04:22:23 pm »
We have a bunch of Xcelite SAS 3210, aka Pressmaster 4320-0612 wire strippers at work, and they do quite nicely down to 28AWG (the smallest we use), and have exchangeable cartridges with V blades for PTFE wire.  Biggest downside is that the strip length adjustment is too coarse and the notches leave a bit too much wiggle room, so it takes some finesse to get consistent length strips for small terminals.

https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/details/pr.embla0612/strippers-for-wire-cable/pressmaster/4320-0612/

Those style, or in fact any style of automatic stripper I've ever seen, has a significant downside when it comes to dealing with multiconductor cable because of the amount of space the gripper at the front takes up, so it's worth having a good pair of scissor-style strippers on hand as well (this style, if not this particular pair: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVJDIA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1)

For household work, these are my goto: https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/combination-cutting-tools/pliers-all-purpose-needle-nose-pliers-crimper-85-inch  They have exactly the features you want for standard North American residential wiring, and are way better pliers than any other pair of conventional strippers, so better for dealing with stubborn boxes and wires. 

The kind I have been using for short, precise stripping lengths are the CK precision ones like the one in the attached photo. They come both in a few ranges of adjustable (with the 330013 covering exactly the range you want) or single fixed wire gauges. (Note that the mm sizes on those are diameter, not cross sectional area, and that the AWG numbers are for solid wire. Stranded wire is 2 gauges larger in terms of stripping size, e.g. a 22AWG stranded wire is the same diameter as 20AWG solid, so use a 20AWG stripper.) What I love about these is that the strip depth stop can be set extremely small, and without fixed steps (like Stripax and co, which are in 1mm steps). The downside is that it’s not automatic, and that they’re in extremely short supply right now. I ordered one in November and it finally came in April. They are sold under many other brand names, some with better availability, but at higher prices.

I came across those a few months ago and they looked like exactly what I wanted, but yeah, supply is hard to find lately.  Beware of the knockoffs available on Amazon, they look the part, but the depth stop just slides around willy-nilly and is completely useless.  I ended up finding them at McMaster, albeit with a ridiculous leadtime, and eventually they just cancelled that order.  Looks like Newark has stock now, though.

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2022, 12:33:47 am »
Thank you for all, for the recommendations.   I got a few of them in, and I am ready for some personal testing, to see what I personally prefer.  I invested close to $200 on all of these.  I didn't have the stomach to purchase a $200-$400 individual tool.  I'll use these new tools for a bit, and chime in with my hobbyist 2 cents.  Thanks again for all the recommendations!

The following users thanked this post: gwideman, tooki

• Contributor
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2022, 12:52:35 am »
What is the purpose of all these round holes?

« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 12:55:40 am by bflores »

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2022, 02:55:20 pm »
Tongue in cheek answer to the thread title: (you know it's the best when they have a blurry video with techno music, yeah this thing is like $1000)

More seriously I use the Knipex 12 12 02, I don't like the automatic strippers that clamp down on the wire. I think it's too expensive at full price but you can sometimes find them much cheaper on eBay from like a surplus store or second hand. It's a rebranded(?) Rennsteig so you can potentially score a deal.

Not sure about the top hole, maybe to gently bend the end of wire or something? Or it could be a really bad crimper? edit: or perhaps just a manufacturing thing

The bottom holes are for a length stop attachment like this.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 02:58:04 pm by deadlylover »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2022, 03:29:40 pm »
Tongue in cheek answer to the thread title: (you know it's the best when they have a blurry video with techno music, yeah this thing is like $1000)

Hey, at least it’s a Swiss manufacturer (Nitronic) using techno music by a Swiss-born artist (“Children” by Robert Miles). :P

In all fairness, those things really aren’t intended so much for ordinary wire as for small coax and wires with difficult insulation. At the workplace I start in August (where I did an internship last year) they have the robotic version of that, for working on tiny coax (like 2mm diameter Teflon-insulated micro coax).

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2022, 03:48:27 pm »
More seriously I use the Knipex 12 12 02, I don't like the automatic strippers that clamp down on the wire. I think it's too expensive at full price but you can sometimes find them much cheaper on eBay from like a surplus store or second hand.
Can you tell me more about it? I was considering getting one of those, until I realized it doesn’t have a die for the wire size I use the most (0.25mm2)!  |O To cover the small wires I use most often, I’d have to buy the 12 12 02 and 12 12 06, with each one also covering numerous larger sizes I don’t care about. :(

It's a rebranded(?) Rennsteig so you can potentially score a deal.
They are one and the same. As best I can tell, Knipex (the pliers company) bought Rennsteig (the wire handling tool company) 30+ years ago, initially as an independent subsidiary, but more integrated over the years.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 03:51:46 pm by tooki »

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2022, 04:17:48 pm »
To cover the small wires I use most often, I’d have to buy the 12 12 02 and 12 12 06, with each one also covering numerous larger sizes I don’t care about. :(

The actual stripping quality is A+, but the usability is more like a B rating.

Even though it has the "wire guides" you do have to take a bit of care to make sure the wire is mostly positioned in the cutting die. This is okay for bench use but sometimes in the field it can be annoying (like inside a car trying to repair wire and you have limited space to work with).

You also have to squeeze completely so the jaws open up and you can move the wire away. Sometimes when I'm tired I don't "cycle" the tool fully and the wire stays there and gets crushed by the tool closing back in, it basically destroys the wire so I have to cut and strip again (it has a very sudden "snap" back so it's too late to react in time hahaha).

Also the plastic length stop piece will disappear into the Shadow Realm, I lost mine a few months in. For anything critical I just trim down the exposed wire with a shear-type cable cutter (Knipex 95 11 165).

It's good for some extremely slippery PTFE wire that a cheaper Jokari style tool will just slip on (I think the better auto strippers might be okay, but I still don't like having the wire crushed because I often use crimp terminals that do the insulation crimp as well).

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online GLouie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2022, 04:44:59 pm »
Holes are used for bending loops or hooks on the ends of stripped wires. Think electricians and solid wires. Holes at the tips can be used to grab wires and move them.

What is the purpose of all these round holes?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2022, 05:37:43 pm »
The kind I have been using for short, precise stripping lengths are the CK precision ones like the one in the attached photo. They come both in a few ranges of adjustable (with the 330013 covering exactly the range you want) or single fixed wire gauges.
Yup. that's the one.

all the rest is crap on a stick

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: HighVoltage, tooki

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2022, 06:03:34 pm »
Ideal Industries T strippers are my goto ones. They last forever and don’t damage the wires.

https://www.idealind.com/us/en/shop/product-type/hand-tools/wire-strippers/tr-6-tr-stripper-wire-stripper.html

I have used several different types of wire strippers over the years and like the Ideal T-Strippers as well.  I currently have the Klein versions, but I think they were made by the same OEM, just with different handles.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2022, 10:17:10 pm »
The actual stripping quality is A+, but the usability is more like a B rating.

Even though it has the "wire guides" you do have to take a bit of care to make sure the wire is mostly positioned in the cutting die. This is okay for bench use but sometimes in the field it can be annoying (like inside a car trying to repair wire and you have limited space to work with).

You also have to squeeze completely so the jaws open up and you can move the wire away. Sometimes when I'm tired I don't "cycle" the tool fully and the wire stays there and gets crushed by the tool closing back in, it basically destroys the wire so I have to cut and strip again (it has a very sudden "snap" back so it's too late to react in time hahaha).
I’ve used other brands of similar-style strippers (but that were very old and rickety, so useless for determining stripping quality) so I know exactly what you mean about crushing the wire from an incomplete cycle!!

Also the plastic length stop piece will disappear into the Shadow Realm, I lost mine a few months in. For anything critical I just trim down the exposed wire with a shear-type cable cutter (Knipex 95 11 165).
That’s disappointing. A reliable depth stop is an absolute must-have for me, because post-strip trimming makes it basically impossible to precisely match the lengths of wires for multi-pin connectors. That’s what I like about the CK strippers: the depth stop can be set to practically zero, stepless with no detents. It’s not automatic, in that one must manually select the wire gauge and depth stop, but once you’ve dialed that in correctly, every strip is perfect and consistent, no need to align onto a guide. Insert, squeeze, pull, releas. Works exceedingly well for small connectors like JST XH, which requires a strip length of 2.0mm ±0.3mm. But it’s a small tool, so some finger strength is required compared to the ones you squeeze with your whole hand.

I have been eyeing the Knipex 95 22 165 (same thing as yours, but spring loaded and with ergo grips). I have a perfectly serviceable set of cable shears now, but I want something with fatter, ergonomic grips.

It's good for some extremely slippery PTFE wire that a cheaper Jokari style tool will just slip on (I think the better auto strippers might be okay, but I still don't like having the wire crushed because I often use crimp terminals that do the insulation crimp as well).
Aye. PTFE, Kapton, and irradiated PVC are all tough to strip with ordinary strippers.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2022, 02:12:56 am »
The yellow adjustable ones (OK) are not bad. And for serial work the veritable Stripmaster (with the correct blades) reigns supreme - contrary to Stripax and related ones the circular cavities cut the insulation over most of the circumference instead of notching it from two sides and ripping it off. It is for good reason the tool recommended or specified for MilAero work.
But as you said 'Repair' this is not of much use to you. Repair work can involve wires which are already too short, have some damage and also it involves working in tight spots and avoiding damage to other parts.
For such applications I recommend either Bernstein Mod. 3-835-2 or EREM 510E. I have both and like them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf