Author Topic: Best Wire Strippers for small AWG Electronic Repair in 2022?  (Read 9971 times)

Offline bfloresTopic starter

• Contributor
Just doing a bump for 2022.  I need to buy a new wire stripper.  What's your favorite or recommend Wire Stripper in 2022? ...for smaller gauge stranded wire (i.e. 22awg to 30awg). 

I purchased the WEICON Wire Stripper No. 5, as a test, since it was so cheap ($24).   But, not sure if the $100+ Knipex MultiStrip 10, Weidmüller STRIPAX, are worth the coin. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:08:05 pm by bflores »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Best Wire Strippers for small AWG Electronic Repair in 2022?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2022, 07:59:23 pm »
Ideal Industries T strippers are my goto ones. They last forever and don’t damage the wires.

https://www.idealind.com/us/en/shop/product-type/hand-tools/wire-strippers/tr-6-tr-stripper-wire-stripper.html

They do different ones for different AWG ranges.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 08:01:27 pm by bd139 »

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 08:12:16 pm »
I have the Jonard Tools JIC 2030.  It works and is about $11 from US suppliers.  I use it routinely for 24 and 30 AWG wire with Kynar insulation.  You may need to fine tune the tips to get the right size or go up or down a gauge.

I suspect there are a lot of equivalent varieties, including the one bd139 posted that are very similar.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 08:28:17 pm »
https://ripley-tools.com/product/nn/

a set to cover your range is going to be expensive - but they do feel marvelous.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 08:31:50 pm by armandine2 »
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 08:54:46 pm »
Ideal Industries T strippers are my goto ones. They last forever and don’t damage the wires.

https://www.idealind.com/us/en/shop/product-type/hand-tools/wire-strippers/tr-6-tr-stripper-wire-stripper.html

They do different ones for different AWG ranges.

I am replacing my Klein version of those now.  Had a few years.  But the wire cutter is now chomped up a bit and hard to cut now.   Hence the new venture for a new replacement.   I'm sure I abused it many times over the years, cutting god knows what. 

I have always wanted to try one of these auto strippers. I have same videos where people rant over them.  Figured I'd try one out to see if it's worth replacing the old tried and true, like you posted.

Most of the automatics reviews are based on large electrician cable stripping,10awg to 16awg, etc.    I only do small cables.  That's why I'm here in the EEVBlog forum.  I figured most of the members have cable strippers for smaller work.  I'll try a few and report in, if others don't have a must have version / suggestion in the meantime. 

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 09:27:56 pm »
I have an auto-stripper.  It is great for automotive wire and PVC insulation.  Kynar (my goto insulation for solderable breadboards) is too slippery -- at least in the finer gauges or when the segment being stripped is too short.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online Wallace Gasiewicz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2022, 10:24:33 pm »
Good auto strippers are very good, but like everything else they wear out at the cutting edge. We use one at the radio shop and it gets a lot of use. It is quite expensive.
Hot wire strippers are more versatile, but way too expensive and they do not last long enough to amortize their initial cost. Also hard and expensive to repair. However they are just great to use on small stuff like microphone wires,. Auto strippers cannot work on small lengths of wire, like the ones coming out of a microphone cable.
Several hot wire strippers have failed way too soon. Just my opinion and experience.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2022, 10:34:13 pm »
I have the Jonard Tools JIC 2030.  It works and is about $11 from US suppliers.  I use it routinely for 24 and 30 AWG wire with Kynar insulation.  You may need to fine tune the tips to get the right size or go up or down a gauge.

I suspect there are a lot of equivalent varieties, including the one bd139 posted that are very similar.

Thanks!  Looks another +1 for the tried and true old school original wire stripper vs automatics.  Replying with image of the "Jonard Tools JIC 2030" as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 10:36:48 pm »
https://ripley-tools.com/product/nn/

a set to cover your range is going to be expensive - but they do feel marvelous.

Thank you!  Updating with an image and style of the Miller NN Series.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2022, 11:43:37 pm »
No idea why a wire stripper needs software from the App Store to enhance the experience. Sounds like a pointless "new" but with no value added.

The market for professional tools does not move quickly, 2022 is the same as 2021, particularly when you are just looking at v/u blade strippers.

There are 4 broad groups of strippers:
Straight/rotary blade (mostly for coax or sheaths)
v/u blade "adjustable" (the majority of cheap strippers)
segmented "automatic" blade (no longer in patent, Weidmuller Stripax)
thermal strippers

That's ordered in typical worst to best quality stripping, occasionaly there is a special application that prefers a specific type.

Online jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 12:13:11 am »
Glad you mention thermal strippers. For wide PVC multiconductor cable, I use a spring clip.  Attach it, blow hot air through it until you get a slight PVC smell, and pull it off (attached).  However for cable that fits, the automatic stripper is faster and does the same job.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2022, 01:04:26 am »
No idea why a wire stripper needs software from the App Store to enhance the experience. Sounds like a pointless "new" but with no value added.

The market for professional tools does not move quickly, 2022 is the same as 2021, particularly when you are just looking at v/u blade strippers.

There are 4 broad groups of strippers:
Straight/rotary blade (mostly for coax or sheaths)
v/u blade "adjustable" (the majority of cheap strippers)
segmented "automatic" blade (no longer in patent, Weidmuller Stripax)
thermal strippers

That's ordered in typical worst to best quality stripping, occasionally there is a special application that prefers a specific type.

LOL.. I didn't even see the apps on the box, until you mentioned it.  The QR codes goes to https://weicon/app.  Description states or appears to be a catalog app, for the product line. i.e. Marketing.

The Weidmuller Stripax came up a lot in my searches as one of the popular ones.  But its also $100+ 

Hoping someone on here has one of these fancy autos, that can chime in with a tenured experience with smaller gauge wire, vs fat electrician wire.

- Adding Weidmuller Stripmax photo.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2022, 01:11:50 am »
I use the Stripax primarily for 0.34mm2 - 16mm2, with most use at 0.5 and 1.5mm2. Works great.

Also the Stripax shouldn't cost $100. I paid 50 EUR here 18 months ago.

The following users thanked this post: wraper

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 01:13:30 am »
Glad you mention thermal strippers. For wide PVC multiconductor cable, I use a spring clip.  Attach it, blow hot air through it until you get a slight PVC smell, and pull it off (attached).  However for cable that fits, the automatic stripper is faster and does the same job.

I guess I should have mentioned I am a hobbyist, or not stripping cables at volume.  I just want to pick something up, and be done with the whole process in seconds (when needed).  Thermal sounds like a lot of time, and messy, for a one off occasional need... but, have never tried.  This is why I want to try the autos.. seems wicked fast and accurate...but have never tried.  I have always done the scissor multi-hole-sized style strippers.  They have done me well in the past.  I just wanted to see if there is a better way in 2022.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 01:21:00 am »
I use the Stripax primarily for 0.34mm2 - 16mm2, with most use at 0.5 and 1.5mm2. Works great.

I wish I could say the same for here is the U.S.  There are $100-$400 on Amazon and digikey, depending on what version.  Maybe I am not looking for the right model?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 01:54:12 am »
Why? now the thread is a pile of photos that are hiding the valuable information.

/dumpster fire

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 01:59:23 am »

Brand new? sounds like a great sale/deal. Replacement blade cartridges are 40 eurodollarpound units each.

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 02:22:09 am »
Why? now the thread is a pile of photos that are hiding the valuable information.

/dumpster fire
Apologies.  I am posting the photos for mainly my own benefit.  I tried searching EEVBlog, other threads, and it lacked photos (probably for a reason, ha!).  I wanted a thread to see what item is referenced.  It's just easier for me that way. Vs Google searching names and part numbers each time.  Just the way I am wired.  I guess my brain is a big ole dumpster fire. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 11:21:35 am by bflores »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 03:41:54 am »
other threads, and it lacked photos (probably for a reason, ha!).  I wanted a thread to see what item is referenced.  It's just easier for me that way. Vs Google searing names and part numbers each time.
Branding/design should be way down the selection criteria, stripping tools that look identical from first glance can be completely different method/technology/function/application. So photos are not particularly useful. Weidmuller themselves brand a whole bunch of their tools with "stripax®" and they aren't all segmented blade type, model numbers and specifications are the important bit.

Stripping is specific to the wire + insulation type/size/etc as mentioned above. This is even less useful than a "best scopes of 2022" thread.

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 11:09:44 am »
other threads, and it lacked photos (probably for a reason, ha!).  I wanted a thread to see what item is referenced.  It's just easier for me that way. Vs Google searing names and part numbers each time.
Branding/design should be way down the selection criteria, stripping tools that look identical from first glance can be completely different method/technology/function/application. So photos are not particularly useful. Weidmuller themselves brand a whole bunch of their tools with "stripax®" and they aren't all segmented blade type, model numbers and specifications are the important bit.

Stripping is specific to the wire + insulation type/size/etc as mentioned above. This is even less useful than a "best scopes of 2022" thread.

Opinion noted.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 11:22:36 am »
I have been using one of these automated models (JT&T 5020F) for many years now. It works for the bulk of what I need, which is from 12~22AWG. For anything thinner I end up using the cutting pliers anyways, unless it is a more specialized job.

And just to keep in the spirit of the thread, here's a picture (mine is red colored).  ;D

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2022, 11:51:22 am »
Electricians only need one tool.

Strips insulation, cuts anything, crimps all sizes, downlight hole saw, drives screws, enforces order, etc...

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, bd139

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2022, 10:06:59 pm »
Just doing a bump for 2022.  I need to buy a new wire stripper.  What's your favorite or recommend Wire Stripper in 2022? ...for smaller gauge stranded wire (i.e. 22awg to 30awg). 

I purchased the WEICON Wire Stripper No. 5, as a test, since it was so cheap ($24).   But, not sure if the $100+ Knipex MultiStrip 10, Weidmüller STRIPAX, are worth the coin.
All these answers so far, yet nobody stopped to ask you what your requirements are!

For the wire range you gave, the best full-automatic stripper I’ve used is the Knipex 12 52 195 Edit: actually it’s the 12 42 195. (It’s like a Stripax, just a bit more optimized for smaller wires.) I have one of these at work and plan on getting one for at home.

But it really depends on your needs. In particular, the strip length and cleanness of the insulation incision vary a lot. In particular, if you need to crimp to small contacts like JST XH or smaller, you need a precision stripper if you want uniform wire lengths. Small contacts like that can have a strip range of, for example, 1.7-2.3mm. The minimum strip length of 5mm ±1mm or so of fully automatic strippers like Stripax simply isn’t useful for those contacts. (Additionally, fully automatic strippers don’t generally cut super cleanly. Totally fine for most things, but not for really small contacts.)

The kind I have been using for short, precise stripping lengths are the CK precision ones like the one in the attached photo. They come both in a few ranges of adjustable (with the 330013 covering exactly the range you want) or single fixed wire gauges. (Note that the mm sizes on those are diameter, not cross sectional area, and that the AWG numbers are for solid wire. Stranded wire is 2 gauges larger in terms of stripping size, e.g. a 22AWG stranded wire is the same diameter as 20AWG solid, so use a 20AWG stripper.) What I love about these is that the strip depth stop can be set extremely small, and without fixed steps (like Stripax and co, which are in 1mm steps). The downside is that it’s not automatic, and that they’re in extremely short supply right now. I ordered one in November and it finally came in April. They are sold under many other brand names, some with better availability, but at higher prices.

Thermal is super gentle on the conductors, but can leave slight bulges on the end of the wire which may not work with some crimp contacts.

As for the manual pliers-style strippers, I highly recommend the Klein-Kurve series from Klein Tools. The 11057 (photo also attached) perfectly matches your range of wire sizes. They’re very well made, the blades are very precisely ground, and both laser-marked and stamped with both solid and stranded sizes. And they are comfy.

Another kind of automatic stripper is the military style ones like the Ideal Stripmaster. They use precision dies and cut very cleanly, but are very expensive, and only cover a few gauges per unit. Also, you can’t be sloppy when using them, in that you have to squeeze them all the way before releasing, otherwise the mechanism can’t properly release the wire before they close again, resulting in bent wire.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 10:06:43 am by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: free_electron

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2022, 10:09:37 pm »

I wish I could say the same for here is the U.S.  There are $100-$400 on Amazon and digikey, depending on what version.  Maybe I am not looking for the right model?
Look at reichelt.com. They have excellent prices for European tools, but very reasonable shipping to USA.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2022, 10:14:06 pm »
One caveat with the Stripax-style strippers, especially the Knipex model I suggest above: the blades are fairly delicate. DO NOT strip anything but copper wire with them, DO NOT attempt to strip wire larger than the maximum, and DO NOT let kids or careless adults play with them. I’ve seen new blades get ruined in under a week by careless people who play around with tools and clamp down on steel wire or a component or whatever “for fun”.

In the hands of a careful person they’ll last a long time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf