Author Topic: Best PCB Design Practices and Books/Articles  (Read 32970 times)

Offline IliyaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Best PCB Design Practices and Books/Articles
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »
I would love to here all the best ideas for PCB design and layout.
Book reference, online PDFs, even example artwork.

Seems like there is a lot to learn. :-+

I would like to add important features to my work. (AutoTRAX DEX)

Thanks for your help.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Best PCB Design Practices and Books/Articles
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:26 pm »
Relating to the thread about your software the following crossed my mind today and I'll write it down since you are more or less asking for it  ;D :
A PCB design isn't just a bunch of gerber and drill files. A PCB design also comes with a bill-of-materials in order to facilitate assembling the PCB whether it is a prototype or a mass produced. The basis for a bill-of-materials starts with a good parts management system. I posted a link to a video about Orcad's part management system (which uses an external database) earlier. Without a good parts management system creating a BOM is a tedious process where you have to manually put a list together with all the tolerances, part numbers, supplier order codes, etc.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 07:29:57 pm »
Book reference, online PDFs, even example artwork.

Seems like there is a lot to learn. :-+

I would like to add important features to my work. (AutoTRAX DEX)

Thanks for your help.

Use this forum's "search", and you will find many many pointers. Google also works quite well.

After that you will be able to tell us what you do/don't understand, and formulate a more pointed question that can be answered.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline JohnnyBerg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 07:38:39 pm »

Make a design, order the pcb's and solder the components yourself on the board.  After a design or 40, you get the hang of it.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:47:17 pm »
Found this 600 page book.

http://www.hdihandbook.com/

Downloaded it and looks great.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:59:00 pm »
Found this on HIGH VOLTAGE PRINTED CIRCUIT DESIGN & MANUFACTURING

http://www.magazines007.com/pdf/High-Voltage-PCDesign.pdf]
[url]http://www.magazines007.com/pdf/High-Voltage-PCDesign.pdf
[/url]

I think I'll add this to my real-time DRC.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 08:04:13 pm »

Make a design, order the pcb's and solder the components yourself on the board.  After a design or 40, you get the hang of it.

Life's too short and a bin full of duff boards is too expensive.
I want to stand on the shoulders of giants

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:12:05 pm »
Relating to the thread about your software the following crossed my mind today and I'll write it down since you are more or less asking for it  ;D :
A PCB design isn't just a bunch of gerber and drill files. A PCB design also comes with a bill-of-materials in order to facilitate assembling the PCB whether it is a prototype or a mass produced. The basis for a bill-of-materials starts with a good parts management system. I posted a link to a video about Orcad's part management system (which uses an external database) earlier. Without a good parts management system creating a BOM is a tedious process where you have to manually put a list together with all the tolerances, part numbers, supplier order codes, etc.

I have custom part attributes. You define what you like.
See attached.

Seems like another topic for what should be available for a BOM.

Offline JohnnyBerg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 08:32:51 pm »

Designing pcb's is a skill, you can't learn that from a book. Some may even say that it is art, and not science.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 09:47:55 pm »
I have custom part attributes. You define what you like.
See attached.
Looks OK but I have two more questions if you don't mind:
1) Is it possible to attach one symbol to multiple parts?
2) Is it possible to attach one footprint to multiple parts?

If yes to both questions then I think you got part management covered.

The reason for sharing symbols and footprints is that in some cases a change is required to symbols or footprints. It would be cumbersome if all parts would need to be changed.

To drift even further off-topic (or maybe not since we are talking about best practices) another question popped into my mind: One of the problems with some CAD packages is that the symbols and footprints are not included in the design file. This means that if you send a design to someone else that person needs the exact same libraries in order to be able to open your file. This ofcourse is a major nuisance when working on a project with multiple people because the libraries are never in sync. How does DEX handle that? Are the symbols and footprints included in the design file?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:41 pm »

Designing pcb's is a skill, you can't learn that from a book. Some may even say that it is art, and not science.
This thread stems from discussion from this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/eda/dex-eval-by-free_electron/

Iliya is the principal behind DEX
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:52:39 pm »
Ouch. In a normal setting you first try to understand the problem before you attempt to write a program to solve it. Sorry man. I just had to say it. But, at the same time i tremendously APPRECIATE IT that you are willing to learn.  :-+

You want to stand on shoulders of giants : i am giving you a whole washlist of things you can start implementing but i'm only met with hostility.

-manual wiring . Scrap that autowirimg stuff. It doesnt work
- programmable grids
- random unit system
- origin settings
- industry standard file exchange (step)
- multi-edit of parameters
- custom assignable attributes on symbols (not just designator and value but anything i want to add)
- editable courtyard shapes
- editable silkscreen shapes

And much more.

This all base requirements to do any kind of board design.

I made a few footprints now and now want to know the same thing ntcnico writes : how do i tie one fottprint to multiple symbols? How do i tie multiple footprints to one symbol ? How do i make multipart symbols like a quad nand gate ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:01:16 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 10:32:12 am »
Ouch. In a normal setting you first try to understand the problem before you attempt to write a program to solve it. Sorry man. I just had to say it. But, at the same time i tremendously APPRECIATE IT that you are willing to learn.  :-+

You want to stand on shoulders of giants : i am giving you a whole washlist of things you can start implementing but i'm only met with hostility.

-manual wiring . Scrap that autowirimg stuff. It doesnt work
- programmable grids
- random unit system
- origin settings
- industry standard file exchange (step)
- multi-edit of parameters
- custom assignable attributes on symbols (not just designator and value but anything i want to add)
- editable courtyard shapes
- editable silkscreen shapes

And much more.

This all base requirements to do any kind of board design.

I made a few footprints now and now want to know the same thing ntcnico writes : how do i tie one fottprint to multiple symbols? How do i tie multiple footprints to one symbol ? How do i make multipart symbols like a quad nand gate ?

This reply is off topic. The topic is Best PCB Design Practices and Books/Articles

Please post your views to the topic you created.

Thanks

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 11:58:54 am »
This reply is off topic. The topic is Best PCB Design Practices and Books/Articles
Thanks

Free-electron is (was?) in the process of writing a PCB design book. If you ask nicely perhaps he might share some of it with you!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 11:59:53 am »

It was a reasonable response to your statements, and therefore relevant.

In addition, it would appear that you didn't give us all the information available to you that could have helped us help you.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 12:13:22 pm »
Ouch. In a normal setting you first try to understand the problem before you attempt to write a program to solve it.
That often leads to years of research and no result. With technology evolving continuously it is hard to come up with a solution which can be used for years. Creating a piece of software which is easy to extend leads to results quickly and can be adapted to changing requirements.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 12:28:39 pm »
In a normal setting you first try to understand the problem before you attempt to write a program to solve it.

If by "normal" you mean "typical", then I'll contend the available evidence is against you. There are far too many machines where clearly the designers' haven't understood the problem :(

My current beef is with cars with touchscreen controls - in order for the driver to use them they have to look at it rather than just feeling it. I want the driver's eyes looking outside the car, so they see whatever they are about to hit!

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 01:12:45 pm »
yep, still writing on the book. Hopefullly be done mid this year. I got the demoboards coming in from  china , hopefully before their spring festival.

I have to add a few chapters on DFM and so e other things relating to mass production and taking care of that during layout. DFM DFT and the likes.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:16:20 pm by free_electron »
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 01:13:20 pm »
Thanks

Free-electron is (was?) in the process of writing a PCB design book. If you ask nicely perhaps he might share some of it with you!
Thanks, but I am interested in books and PDFs that exist. I personally do not need a book on Altium Designer. This topic is for existing information.

Judging by the grammar used in his posting, I would expect it to be very difficult to read.

I find Complete PCB Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor by Kraig Mitzner is a good book.

Perhaps he could post his draft for all to see as he is keen to most comments and videos of his ability to use DEX. This would be great and we could all add our comments and experience to make the book the standard PCB design book.

JohnnyBerg states:
So the free-electron book is doomed to failure.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:16:41 pm by Iliya »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »
Thanks

Thanks, but I am interested in books and PDFs that exist. I personally do not need a book on Altium Designer. This topic is for existing information.

Judging by the grammar used in his posting, I would expect it to be very difficult to read.

I find Complete PCB Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor by Kraig Mitzner is a good book.

Perhaps he could post his draft for all to see as he is keen to most comments and videos of his ability to use DEX. This would be great and we could all add our comments and experience to make the book the standard PCB design book.

JohnnyBerg states:

So , if pcb design can't be learned from a book why are you asking for books ?

And no, this is not an 'Altium' book . The book is written tool-less.

Maybe i should add a chapter about crappy pcb design software. I can use DEX as prime example. If you are going to flame me i will flame back ! You comments are way out of line .

Your reply is also off topic. 

Now go read the washlist of problems i posted in the review topic and watch the videos i made to document them. Fix em. And please do explain how to link one pcb stmbol to multiple schemaric symbols and the reverse , adde soldermask layers and paste mask layers so i can move on and try to get some proper parts made in DEX.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:21:50 pm by free_electron »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 02:32:46 pm »
oh , here is a good book : http://www.alternatezone.com/electronics/files/PCBDesignTutorialRevA.pdf

written by some aussie bloke.. but it's probably going to be discarded because of  religious reasons. Something about minds being corrupted by the Altium demon, and cool-aid drinkers and other brown-nosing.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 03:10:34 pm »
oh , here is a good book : http://www.alternatezone.com/electronics/files/PCBDesignTutorialRevA.pdf

written by some aussie bloke.. but it's probably going to be discarded because of  religious reasons. Something about minds being corrupted by the Altium demon, and cool-aid drinkers and other brown-nosing.

It's not what I would call a book. It's only 25 pages. However it is very interesting.
It is written by Dave, the owner of the web site.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 03:15:58 pm »
Thanks

JohnnyBerg states:

So , if pcb design can't be learned from a book why are you asking for books ?

Please read it again before mistakenly attributing other forum users comments to me.  Here it is again. (I believe that PCB design can be learned by reading a book)

JohnnyBerg states:

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 03:17:02 pm »

Both I and free-electon disagree. However, what works for you is fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf