Author Topic: Beginer microcontrollers  (Read 5156 times)

Offline MattwarneTopic starter

• Contributor
Beginer microcontrollers
« on: January 03, 2012, 01:52:08 am »
I would like to know what the best microcontroller is for basic electronics that includes R/C

Thanks
                               Matt

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Beginer microcontrollers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:38 am »
Any one that you like the look of.                                                                                          (But Arduino might be a good place to start.)

Offline don.r

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 02:47:34 am »
If you can live with 8 bit D/A A/D and 8 bit programming and limited programming space then the Arduino would suit. Otherwise check out the SMT32 series based on ARM. 12 bit D/A A/D and loads of 32bit programming space.

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 03:13:08 am »
A big part of the learning curve with microcontrollers is made up of the tool set. Arduino is much easier in that respect but you loose a lot of control and features in the IDE. For me this is a pretty big drawback, however if you have never done any micro stuff before Arduino is a good start to learn some basics and then move onto a more advanced chip/IDE like those from Atmel or Microchip. The IDE software is free so you could download it, take a test drive and maybe run  through some tutorials to see which you like best.

I personally recommend the PIC Kit 3 package, which is affordable, comes with the programmer/debugger and sample test board. There is a bunch of learning material that compliments this kit. There are so many dev kits to choose from, researching and trying them is part of the fun!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 03:15:55 am by SimRacer »
Don't drone me bro!

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:07:51 pm »
Any one that you like the look of.                                                                                          (But Arduino might be a good place to start.)                                                                                         

WTF?

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:09:47 pm »
If you can get a certain brand of microcontroller locally, then go for it. It is a real time-saver, specially when you have to wait 3-4 days for a $5 chip to arrive (and pay $7 for shipping).

alm

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 08:47:00 pm »
If you can live with 8 bit D/A A/D and 8 bit programming and limited programming space then the Arduino would suit.
I believe the Arduino (ATmega328) has a 10-bit ADC and no DAC (except PWM).

Otherwise check out the SMT32 series based on ARM. 12 bit D/A A/D and loads of 32bit programming space.
And loads of complexity to confuse a beginner.

In my opinion the suggestion to either pick the easy to use Arduino (and possibly graduate to programming the AVR in bare C later) or pick something that's readily available or that your friends use. I would stick to the popular 8/16-bit ones like the PIC, AVR or MSP430, not some obscure architecture like STM8 or complex ones like the ARM. If you want ARM, the mbed might be worth a look. The online development environment and libraries are quite nice, and programming through the USB flash emulator is a breeze, although an experienced programmer will miss a real IDE and offline compiler.

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:19 am »

WTF?

LMFAO!!

P.S. The Arduino platform is where you need to be.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 02:12:09 am »
A big part of the learning curve with microcontrollers is made up of the tool set. Arduino is much easier in that respect but you loose a lot of control and features in the IDE. For me this is a pretty big drawback, however if you have never done any micro stuff before Arduino is a good start to learn some basics and then move onto a more advanced chip/IDE like those from Atmel or Microchip. The IDE software is free so you could download it, take a test drive and maybe run  through some tutorials to see which you like best.

I personally recommend the PIC Kit 3 package, which is affordable, comes with the programmer/debugger and sample test board. There is a bunch of learning material that compliments this kit. There are so many dev kits to choose from, researching and trying them is part of the fun!
I will look at the pic kit 3 package thanks

Offline Teknotronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 02:14:21 am »
Just make sure you get the right package. The PicKit 3 also comes in a version without the demo board. Enjoy
Don't drone me bro!

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 02:19:10 am »
Just make sure you get the right package. The PicKit 3 also comes in a version without the demo board. Enjoy
I would like the dev board  idea.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf