Author Topic: Audiophoolery And capacitors  (Read 6877 times)

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Audiophoolery And capacitors
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:54:16 pm »
I nearly chocked on drink reading this.... well rubbish strangely rubicon and Nichcon are the ;worst'
how ever he seems to have read the same data sheet as dave, to which his 'o called 'tests' say are the best

what the hell is pace clarity ?

http://tech.juaneda.com/en/articles/electrolyticcapacitors.html
eecs guy

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
Re: Audiophoolery And capacitors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:07:24 pm »
Funny that they're always so interested in the power supply. Probably because most of their amplifier designs' PSRR is deep in the shitter. ::)

Also note that these magical unicorn fart capacitors are followed by a Zener-regulated LM317. :palm:
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:03:27 pm »
I'd love to see the result of a blind (or better a double-blind) listening test. I'll bet there isn't didly squat between any of them.

Some odd ideas about power supplies as well - seems to think more ripple is "better" because the "transformer is powering the circuit more of the time"

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:45:00 am »
Fortunate how none of the results on the graphs overlap each other, which would make them unreadable. What are the chances of that? It's also rather helpful that they create a clear spread so the audiophool can select the one that matches their own preference.

From the link
Comprehensives diagrams. Only given to understand which solution sound better than another one. Diagrams are not drawing to scale. Do not compare between us. Only comparatives values, no absolute values.

So the comprehensive diagram isn't comprehensive, and don't use the comparative values for comparison. Oh, and the scales aren't to scale either.

In other words, "shit I made up".

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 12:39:04 pm »

In other words, "shit I made up".

"It presents a very low ESR but sonic restitution is poor, very clear and bright. This device is not interesting for audio."

WTF is "sonic restitution?"  Does the amp pay you back if the sound isn't as you like?  Do these caps not pay enough restitution? 

I notice there's no mention of the "coloring."  I need to know what hue each capacitor adds to the sound before I can decide.  Which is the crunchiest?  Which is the sweetest?  There's just so much data missing.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:50:33 pm »
If caps are making his stereo sound bad, he should probably stop sticking them in his ears.
Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Offline nihilism

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:01:50 pm »
I wonder if he'd let someone else flip the switches while he listens and see if he can come up with the same results twice.

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 01:15:08 pm »
I wonder if he'd let someone else flip the switches while he listens and see if he can come up with the same results twice.
Of course not, don't be silly.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 01:54:36 pm »
No genuine golden-ear audiophile would submit to such a test because they would not want to be shown to be wrong.

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 02:35:18 pm »
Guys, you're talking about a group who will swear by gold plated optical data connectors, as "Gold Plated Fiber Tips: Precision polished tips offer maximum signal transfer ", will barf up 15k USD/m for speaker cables and have a special pen that enhances signal quality... They're looking at reason and sanity in the back mirror, speeding away at WARP4!
WTF is "sonic restitution?"  Does the amp pay you back if the sound isn't as you like?  Do these caps not pay enough restitution? 
It's one of those immesurable qualities - the signal is the same, but different.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Derick Freese

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 06:45:55 pm »
Has anyone ever thought that audiophoolery is just the leftovers from a generation of LSD usage?

I did a blind test one time with some passive crossovers I built vs the old ones they were replacing.  The test was set up to demonstrate to a friend that old crossovers can have an effect on sound due to 30+ year old caps.  We could tell the difference with cheap components, too, but we tested the caps afterward, and the cheapies weren't in spec.

Out of all of the parts we used that were close to spec, we couldn't tell any difference, between the $3 caps and his $30 BS audiophool fancy pants caps, and pretty much everything we could test that we had on hand at the same spec.

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 06:52:31 pm »
Guys, you're talking about a group who will swear by gold plated optical data connectors, as "Gold Plated Fiber Tips: Precision polished tips offer maximum signal transfer "

Gold would be more reflective to infra-red than plastic - that is why gold foil is put on satellites and I seem to remember a gas analyser that was covered in gold.

Then again the last gold covered fiber I saw did say it was for better conductivity.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline Biff383

• Regular Contributor
  • Oh Crap!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »
  I remember hearing the difference between one amp or the other in real time. ....i don't remember where I was, but i remember remembering. Mostly i remember the drugs. To bad I can't do that anymore.

Offline HP-ILnerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 04:26:37 am »
C4757P>>Funny that they're always so interested in the power supply.<<

I was at a talk the Astronaut George Nelson did once.  Someone asked him why the press is so interested in the Space Shuttle toilet.  He said it's probably because its something they understand.  I suspect something similar is going on here.  They are just tech-savvy enough to know that gold-plated knobs and buttons won't help much.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:44:24 am »
Then again the last gold covered fiber I saw did say it was for better conductivity.

Naturally, it's a return path for the photons, but as electrons instead. Gold is better because, well, gold.

Offline TMM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 10:06:28 am »
Better go chuck my Panasonic FCs in the bin then... :-DD

Offline nitro2k01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »
I notice there's no mention of the "coloring."  I need to know what hue each capacitor adds to the sound before I can decide.  Which is the crunchiest?  Which is the sweetest?  There's just so much data missing.
Did you miss the softness graph? It goes between "sweet" and "agresive" (sic). I think it's actually a metric of the temper of the guy serving cotton candy at the circus. If he's nice, the kids will get some sweet, soft cotton candy. If he's "agresive" he will scare the kids away.
Whoa! How the hell did Dave know that Bob is my uncle? Amazing!

Offline echen1024

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 05:32:44 am »
I don't know about you guys, but first off, I would not trust an idiot who can't spell "aggressive" correctly.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf