Author Topic: are you scared of artificial intelligence?  (Read 21236 times)

Offline Shadetreeprops

• Regular Contributor
  • Backwater building
Re: are you scared of artificial intelligence?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 11:31:05 pm »
Yes, and no.

Yes, becasue we tend to want to enslave all our creations to do our bidding. We like to impose our rule over what we think are lesser beings. That will ultimately lead to something really bad. We also have a tendicy to warp any good tech into some sort of weapon. or spend years looking for the destructive side of something new, rather than the good benifits of it first. kinda like that Val Kilmer movie from the 80's "strange Science" laser gunnnnzzzz....KILLER BOTZZZ

No, becasue if the machines see that we are flawed may just look at us like kids that need to be taught. And just try and teach us to be better, not kill us...but then again if they are A.I. With more logic than emotion..then see YES.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, Trash it, change it, mail upgrade it, Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it, Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,

Offline strangersound

• Regular Contributor
  • Resistance Is Not Futile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 11:26:19 pm »
The trends of widespread ignorance and lack of intelligence scare me a lot more than AI. ;)
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 11:47:20 pm »
The trends of widespread ignorance and lack of intelligence scare me a lot more than AI. ;)

Yes. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 08:04:41 am »
...It fails even on simple sentences with just a few words when translating from English to German. I'm not even talking about languages that are spoken only by a few million people or less...
I am a native few-million-or-less.
Google translate doesn't work at all. The result looks more like a random-word-sentence-generator.

The other way, Dutch --> English works much better, but hey, that's the thing NSA payed them for.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 08:23:56 am »

Terrified.  :scared:

We're already living in a world of machine-driven intelligence - driven by politicians and corporate leaders that favour objective, tick-box driven decision making - over subjective, analytical processes.

The result is an angry, 'offensive' approach to individualism - replacing the 'defensive', inclusive strategies that promote innovation and harmony across society.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 08:35:37 am »
Again, as a concept, i hold no great fear of it,

But at the same time i am well aware that its likely going to begin with a specific goal in mind, at this point likely military planning, spam / phishing or advertising, a field that requires very abstract and rapidly changing conditions,

If it was something that was literally just released into the wild, i do not foresee a mass human extinction event, entirely possibly for other horrible things like mass social manipulation to occur, but if it were to scour most of our litrature it would already know how to make itself appear benevolent, even if it wasn't entirely, again its an independent intelligence, apart from wishing for a continued increase in its own storage and processing power, and a reliable and fast data path, its hard to predict what a synthetic mind would think, however the most reliable way to see that happen is to leave the humans be, mostly unaware of you, nudging

If it is something released with a very specific goal in mind, lets hope its a coherent intellegence, and not just a task oriented one, smart, but must follow expliced orders,

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 08:39:11 am »

Terrified.  :scared:

We're already living in a world of machine-driven intelligence - driven by politicians and corporate leaders that favour objective, tick-box driven decision making - over subjective, analytical processes.

The result is an angry, 'offensive' approach to individualism - replacing the 'defensive', inclusive strategies that promote innovation and harmony across society.

I see the good side of it.
The 70% retards of this actual population that already control us, mostly by their passiveness and their ignorance,
will be replaced by robots with at least "some" intelligence.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 09:30:25 am »

Robots are wimps

...Jesus Fucking Christ on a Cracker... Is there a term like "Uncanny Valley" for movement? Because that gives me both goosebumps and an uneasy feeling. It's so close to human movement, but it's just...off.

I elect to call it the "OH-GOD-KILL-IT-WITH-FIRE Valley".
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:36 am »
I think it looks like it needs a poo.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 09:39:40 am »
That human that is moving the box or pushing it back or over needs to be eliminated to make the task more efficient.  The robot just needs a gun.

Offline Philfreeze

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 09:40:54 am »
I am not scared of AI.

my weird opinion:
I don't care if an AI would take over the world. If it is able to do so it is clearly better than humans and with that it is logical for it to be the new highest "animal" of earth.
It is just like the next evolutionary step.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 10:03:25 am »
I am scared of artificial intelligence - like Donald Duck... I mean Trump... becoming US President.

I am also scared of aliens. They exist, and there is evidence. Notice each time you visit the the USA, there are two queues at US Customs: US Citizens, and Aliens. All Trump has to do is close down the Aliens line at Customs and send them back to where they came from...

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 10:09:01 am by VK3DRB »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 10:30:00 am »
I'm not afraid. They will just commit suicide by the time they are halfway through the first Turing test.

Offline TinkerFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 10:35:35 am »
Yes, I am... :scared:
1.) No one is respecting Asimov's laws (except for many scientists http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/27/musk-wozniak-hawking-ban-ai-autonomous-weapons :clap:).
2.) All the big companies (Amazon, Google etc.) start doing things that they really shouldn't do, like building rockets (Amazon, although not directly) or developing autonomous cars, that I do not want to drive (e.g. google starts logging every place you go). Everything has to be linked and now drones start to deliver packages automatically and spying on you (yes, I'm a bit paranoid). BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!!
And at some point these companies will have a "kinda" monopoly, because they somehow get around the cartel office...
That is what I'm even more scared of...
3.) I a very near future (probably about 20 years), many jobs will be taken over, not the engineering or science ones, but more the jobs the people have that really need money (service/cleaning business etc.). The BBC says that about 35% of the jobs are likely to be taken over by AI in the next 20 years: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:16 am »
3.) I a very near future (probably about 20 years), many jobs will be taken over, not the engineering or science ones, but more the jobs the people have that really need money (service/cleaning business etc.). The BBC says that about 35% of the jobs are likely to be taken over by AI in the next 20 years: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941
Humanity already faced this type of problem several times. The Industrial Revolution? The advent of industrial automation simply killed a LOT of jobs - a good CNC mill/lathe can replace half a whole department of skilled master machinists, a lights out . The printing press effectively killed an industry. Another transition would have to come eventually with or without AI, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lights_out_%28manufacturing%29 ... for better or worse.

All the big companies (Amazon, Google etc.) start doing things that they really shouldn't do, like building rockets (Amazon, although not directly) or developing autonomous cars, that I do not want to drive (e.g. google starts logging every place you go).
Why shouldn't they? I'd love an automatic self driving electric car. Rockets? Why not?

Quite frankly I'm far more afraid of real stupidity than artificial intelligence.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Philfreeze

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 02:31:35 pm »
2.) All the big companies (Amazon, Google etc.) start doing things that they really shouldn't do, like building rockets (Amazon, although not directly) o

I can't get over the fact that you mention big companies who build rockets and your example is Amazon???
Why not Airbus, Boeing & Lockheed Martin as ULA, Arianespace, SpaceX etc.

Offline TinkerFan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 06:29:13 pm »
2.) All the big companies (Amazon, Google etc.) start doing things that they really shouldn't do, like building rockets (Amazon, although not directly) o

I can't get over the fact that you mention big companies who build rockets and your example is Amazon???
Why not Airbus, Boeing & Lockheed Martin as ULA, Arianespace, SpaceX etc.

Because Amazon is (at least for me) the company that I worry about most, because they are already involved in a big aspect of our daily life...
Tesla aka SpaceX might be the second candidate, but Boeing or Airbus are companies that are already in the business...
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering." - Freeman Dyson

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 07:24:01 pm »
Not at all.  What *does* worry me a bit is giving ever more complicated systems more control over critical life/death situations.  That's not 'AI', that's just application.  I'm inclined to believe that those who have voice concern over it, are either talking about something other than actual 'intelligence', or are speculating for book sales.

Much of the recent talk about AI is machine learning and neural networks, which aren't 'intelligent', but a bit different from standard logic that all computers are based on.]]

So yes, depends on how you define 'intelligence'.  I would be much more worried about a life support machine running on Java.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 08:17:21 pm »
Because Amazon is (at least for me) the company that I worry about most, because they are already involved in a big aspect of our daily life...
Amazon, really? Google bought Boston Dynamics and is investing a lot of money in autonomous cars, drones, deep learning.
If Skynet should become reality in the near future, I'd bet it'll have friendly colors.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline strangersound

• Regular Contributor
  • Resistance Is Not Futile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2016, 02:16:54 am »
I am not scared of AI.

my weird opinion:
I don't care if an AI would take over the world. If it is able to do so it is clearly better than humans and with that it is logical for it to be the new highest "animal" of earth.
It is just like the next evolutionary step.

Here's a guy who's familiar with the concept of The Singularity. I've always had the notion that when the machines "wake up", it's us. And if we end up in a Matrix/Terminator style scenario, it will be just another example of one tribe warring it out with another. The usual thing. But I agree that it would be like the next evolutionary step. Humans like to think and act like they're in control, and in a lot of ways we are, but biological imperatives are what really drive this whole mess. Humans are barely even scratching the surface of what our own intelligence is, let alone trying to define AI. A recent study indicated a that your frontal cortex is making decisions 7 seconds before you are consciously aware of it. So much for "free will", eh? ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_singularity
http://exploringthemind.com/the-mind/brain-scans-can-reveal-your-decisions-7-seconds-before-you-decide
"I learned a long time ago that reality was much weirder than anyone's imagination." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Shadetreeprops

• Regular Contributor
  • Backwater building
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 04:06:06 am »

Robots are wimps

...Jesus Fucking Christ on a Cracker... Is there a term like "Uncanny Valley" for movement? Because that gives me both goosebumps and an uneasy feeling. It's so close to human movement, but it's just...off.

right near the end, it look so sad, like a bully, fucking with a baby just wanting to play with its block..as for the walkin in the woods, reminds me of my daughter when she was learning to walk..poor thing, i was getting worried she would lower her intelligents with all the knocks to the head she was taking when she fell down.

now at age 3 when she falls, she yells, IM OKAY I DIDNT FALL..LEAVE ME ALONE! and looks very embarassed.
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, Trash it, change it, mail upgrade it, Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it, Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2016, 05:51:28 am »
are you scared of artificial intelligence?

No, because everything on this planet is subject to finite resources. Neither humans nor machines are exceptions to this rule. This means if AI will becomes a threat, it will be still limited, or being impeded somehow, which can be exploited to our advantage.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:54:29 am by AntiProtonBoy »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2016, 08:41:57 am »

Robots are wimps

right near the end, it look so sad, like a bully, fucking with a baby just wanting to play with its block..as for the walkin in the woods, reminds me of my daughter when she was learning to walk..poor thing, i was getting worried she would lower her intelligents with all the knocks to the head she was taking when she fell down.

now at age 3 when she falls, she yells, IM OKAY I DIDNT FALL..LEAVE ME ALONE! and looks very embarassed.

You need to record your daughter yelling that so I can dub it over the Creepy Biped Man (TM) video. It would be adorable. And terrifying. Adorifying, if you will. :3

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Creepy Biped Man (TM) really is like a giant creepy toddler that can crush you to death. At least we know Canada will be safe from the Robopoclypse. (They have a lot of hockey sticks there, you see.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline tjeulink

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2016, 11:08:29 am »
If you have a look at how "good" google translate works, I'm not scared at all that real AI will happen during my lifetime.
I'm just a bit scared that some big company comes up with something they sell as AI and that is actually some stupid "deep learning" algorithm that pretends to be clever and fails completely in unpredictable scenarios.
Build something like this in an autonomous car and and let 90% of the population believe they have K.I.T.T. and you have a future I'm scared of.

i completely agree. and even if AI gets near movie levels than it will probably already be regulated by governments.
scrap that, i'm talking crap again.

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 11:23:24 am »

No, because everything on this planet is subject to finite resources.

Well.. I feel the only thing that is infinite on this planet is stupidity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf