Author Topic: are you scared of artificial intelligence?  (Read 21250 times)

Offline sarepairman2Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
are you scared of artificial intelligence?
« on: February 27, 2016, 08:58:30 am »
? :blah:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butlerian_Jihad

terminator 6: bob widlar vs the machines
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:00:54 am by sarepairman2 »

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
Re: are you scared of artificial intelligence?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 10:28:09 am »
I'd have paid to see Bob Widlar hitting a terminator with a hammer. RIP Bob.

In short, yes. But our destiny as a race may be to create our successors and transcend walking meat and I'm happy with that, if it goes peacefully.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 12:59:49 pm »
It is not AI that I'm scared. It is human stupidity that I'm scared. We as a spieces will likely end not because of we got overtaken by others, bjt because we invented something that will lead to our own demise.

That something may be AI, or some generic engineering, or some cultural thing, .... Nobody knows for sure.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 01:04:17 pm »
It is not AI that I'm scared. It is human stupidity that I'm scared. We as a spieces will likely end not because of we got overtaken by others, bjt because we invented something that will lead to our own demise.

That something may be AI, or some generic engineering, or some cultural thing, .... Nobody knows for sure.

Genetic engineering sounds like the worst of these. Instead of being shot or vaporized or what ever by AI. You are most likely to be ripped apart. But then again all of this is not really likely to happen.  :scared:

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:05:52 pm »
If you have a look at how "good" google translate works, I'm not scared at all that real AI will happen during my lifetime.
I'm just a bit scared that some big company comes up with something they sell as AI and that is actually some stupid "deep learning" algorithm that pretends to be clever and fails completely in unpredictable scenarios.
Build something like this in an autonomous car and and let 90% of the population believe they have K.I.T.T. and you have a future I'm scared of.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 01:18:44 pm »
AI might also help humanity to find peace and harmony. Current situation is quite bad as the politics is based on "feeling" not facts, and too many voters base their actions on how attractive the politician appears to be in the appearance or the cause he/she is pursuing. Quite few if any politicians really know (or care, for that matter as long the voters like their opinions) how their decisions will affect the society in long term. I would like to see AI as a replacement for the politicians so that the AI can evaluate the possible outcomes of different scenarios without political bias using all available data and provide facts instead of guesstimates. There are 7 billion people on the planet, so I would consider the simulation of this ecosystem quite possible - I am not saying it will be simple or easy, though.

For the education the AI will be revolutionary as each and every student will have their own personal teacher which will adapt the teaching method and speed according to the skills of the student. The AI will never be tired and it will always help the student to achieve his/her best. One may argue whether we need the education after we have an AI available. Without proper education we cannot ask the right questions to be solved. Without proper education it is like having a Wikipedia in the pocket but not able to read or understand the articles.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:32:11 pm by Kalvin »

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 01:32:32 pm »
If you have a look at how "good" google translate works, I'm not scared at all that real AI will happen during my lifetime.
lol have you ever tried to use irish with it.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 01:39:39 pm »
Google translate has improved very rapidly. So if you are not going to die in a near future, you should be able to see some sort of "real" AI in 10 years** from now.

** Place your favourite prediction here.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 01:44:13 pm »
AI might also help humanity to find peace and harmony.

Extremely unlikely. AI will be used to maximize profit first and foremost, since the only people who can pay for it will be the big megacorps and governments.

There are already social analysis tools used by think tanks and big PR to decide how much shit they can get away with before people roll out the guillotine.  These tools are mostly based on game theory and other social theories.

It is only reasonable to expect that these tools will become more sophisticated and widespread in the future.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 01:54:18 pm »
AI might also help humanity to find peace and harmony.

Extremely unlikely. AI will be used to maximize profit first and foremost, since the only people who can pay for it will be the big megacorps and governments.

There are already social analysis tools used by think tanks and big PR to decide how much shit they can get away with before people roll out the guillotine.  These tools are mostly based on game theory and other social theories.

It is only reasonable to expect that these tools will become more sophisticated and widespread in the future.

I would like to see the current situation in AI similar to the state of the computers in 60's and 70's: Only large organizations had them. Then in the 80's started the personal computer revolution so that a person could have a very powerful computer at home which would outperform the 60's and 70's computers. Today, one has a very capable computer in a pocket which outperforms the 80's supercomputers easily. I predict that the similar thing will happen with the AI as well: We are now in the 70's and approaching the 80's.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 01:55:20 pm »
It fails even on simple sentences with just a few words when translating from English to German. I'm not even talking about languages that are spoken only by a few million people or less.
And you can easily observe how small changes in word order or omitting articles destroys the result.
As with autonomous driving, a real AI would be needed that actually understands the context and I don't see that there was any progress in this regard in the last 50 years.
Yes, you may be able to simulate the intelligence of an insect by fast pattern recognition with massive databases but such a system would still be dumb as a brick.
So again, for the next fifty years I'd be more scared of this obscured dumbness than AIs taking over the world.

However, if there would be any kind of progress towards an artificial self aware system in the distant future, this would be rather dangerous of course. I find it hard to believe you could really restrict such a system by built-in rules or hinder it from hacking/improving itself. So I think it's realistic to assume that the 1st artificial self aware system would mark a landmark in human history - and might lead to the end of the human race as we know it.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 02:33:39 pm »
We are no closer to something with the learning ability of even a dog than 20 years ago, let alone human level AI (a phrase most AI researchers hate, because they know nothing they are doing gets them closer to it and they'd rather define AI as something within their reach).

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 02:35:35 pm »
No. For the next 2 decades at least.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 02:41:59 pm »
What worries me about AI is that the military are likely to be involved in key advancements.  One would hope their portrayal as being focussed on effectiveness with an acceptance of collateral damage to whatever degree is NOT manifested in any AI 'solutions'.  Otherwise, the Terminator storyline becomes relevant to what our future holds.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 02:43:50 pm »
"It fails even on simple sentences with just a few words"

That's only for spoken words. Think about how much we convey in non spoken words, in verbal communications, you quickly get to understand how far we are from a computer that we can have a conversation with.

But that's beyond the point. AI will be here. If we don't intentionally bring it here, someone will unintentionally release it onto us.

A self aware being that can learn for itself is incredibly amazing and incredibly scary at the same time.

I think humanitys future is unlikely in our current form. I think some sort of bionic being or totally non physical form is in our future, however distant.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 02:46:21 pm »
Let's hope it starts off with at least Asimov's 3 laws...

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 03:09:07 pm »
We already have unmanned drones killing people. They are not yet autonomous but if the US military finds a way to make them fully autonomous they will.

So Asimov's laws are already out of the window. His psychohistory however is closer to reality than people realize. It is not for nothing that spy agencies are the primary users of social studies and conduct social experiments both for research and for training purposes. They need to if they want to maintain an effective propaganda machine and maintain control of the society.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 03:18:26 pm »
While 'autonomous' does step into the 'AI' arena, my perception is that they are rather different - unless you define 'intelligent' at a somewhat lower level than human.

Offline HAL-42b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 03:25:35 pm »
Intelligent enough to do the job without human intervention. No questions asked, no moral dilemmas, no heavy conscience... Every general's dream.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 03:33:45 pm »
I'm just a bit scared that some big company comes up with something they sell as AI and that is actually some stupid "deep learning" algorithm that pretends to be clever and fails completely in unpredictable scenarios.
Build something like this in an autonomous car and and let 90% of the population believe they have K.I.T.T. and you have a future I'm scared of.

Certainly a more likely outcome in the short term

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2016, 04:09:19 pm »
Robots are wimps

Offline Tinkerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2016, 05:34:18 pm »
AI as a concept no.
AI that comes about and is utilized by government/military, yes.

What I am more afraid of with an AI is that once its created, it will take after whoever creates it.
If this happens to be a benevolent scientist that has the good of mankind in mind and works towards finding solutions to problems, than we may just be safe there.
If the creator happens to be gov/military in nature and they order it to kill someone, whose to say that it wont suddenly decide that in order to prevent further problems, everyone needs to be whiped out to end all conflict permanently.

I also saw the funny idea that perhaps it sees everything on the internet and notices that the majority of objects are positioned at 30º angles. It then decides that all people need to be positioned at 30º angles. haha (in reality a vast majority of objects in advertising, I think it was, are positioned at approximately that angle)

Go watch the movie Sync:
Deals with the concept of the rise of an AI.

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 05:57:19 pm »
No. Not at all. We don't really want it and will never implement it in the wild. Why would you want a sentient machine with it's own free will? What use as a tool or toy would that be? Why would you even make it sentient to begin with? Sapient I can understand, something that appears intelligent in how it interacts with us and solves the problems we tell it to. No matter how smart, chatty, and personable my future household robot my be I want to know it can't experience being a slave.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline sarepairman2Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 11:20:25 pm »
the 2037 nuclear armed bomber is optionally manned  :-//

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 11:22:57 pm »
What worries me is the natural aka human 'intelligence'.

A brief look in the newspaper or the tele explains why  :palm:  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf