Author Topic: APC RJ-45 to DB-9 Smart Signalling Cable Pinout / Updating APC UPS Firmware  (Read 6861 times)

Offline HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
I've done some Googling and am getting conflicting results. I figured I'd just ask here in case anyone had one of these in their cable boxes.

I need the pinout for an APC serial cable. The pinout is different to a Cisco console cable, I believe some of the pins on the RJ-45 (UPS) end are shorted together.

This is the cable I need to re-create temporarily so I can update the damn firmware.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:28:24 am by Halcyon »

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
Re: APC RJ-45 to DB-9 "Smart Signalling" Cable Pinout?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:52:27 am »
Is that for a PDU or a UPS (or are they the same?)

I have a UPC PDU serial cable “somewhere” that I will have a hint round and get some pinouts for you

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:03 pm »
The cable I have here that I have used with a AP7920 PDU is a RJ12 (6P6C)

DB9RJ12
11&6
52 & 5

*EDIT* I know you said RJ45, but that info might help someone else in the future with a RJ12 cable if they go looking for it. Sorry I can't help with the RJ45 wiring.

The following users thanked this post: RossS

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:54:07 pm »
Is that for a PDU or a UPS (or are they the same?)

It's for an SMX-series UPS.

I have a feeling it might be the same cable.

The cable I have here that I have used with a AP7920 PDU is a RJ12 (6P6C)

DB9RJ12
11&6
52 & 5

*EDIT* I know you said RJ45, but that info might help someone else in the future with a RJ12 cable if they go looking for it. Sorry I can't help with the RJ45 wiring.

Thanks for the info, it actually appears that the UPS has a 10-pin RJ-50 socket (although an 8-pin RJ-45 plug will work as Pins 1 and 10 aren't important for my purpose). From what I can find on Google, it looks like some of the pins are shorted at the PC end, for what purpose I'm yet to figure out. Not sure if the APC Firmware Updater software looks for those shorted pairs to determine a "genuine" cable or not. I will experiment and see.

I'm hoping I can get away with signal RX, TX and Ground pins just to get the firmware updated to a version where I can then push it out via the USB port (the current firmware is that old it doesn't allow updating by any other means other than the serial port). Even if I can just borrow a cable... I don't fancy spending AUD$40+ on a genuine lead for a one-off update.

This looks to be about right: http://pinoutguide.com/UPS/apc_0625_cable_pinout.shtml

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 03:21:28 am »
I managed to get around it, gees it was a bit of a stuff around. For anyone else with an APC Smart-UPS here is my solution:

Issue
APC SMX3000RMHV2U firmware version was too old to update via USB and no APC serial cable was available.

Solution
The only way around this was to purchase an AP9630 or AP9631 network management card (NMC).

1. Install the NMC into the UPS.
2. (Optional*1) Complete a factory reset on the NMC by allowing the NMC to boot then hold the reset button down until the status LED changes from flashing green to amber (about 20 seconds)
3. Download*2 and update the NMC firmware to version 6.4 or later (in my case I used 6.6.4). Link: https://www.apc.com/au/en/tools/download/
4. Download the appropriate firmware file for your UPS from https://www.apc.com/au/en/faqs/content/?id=FA170679 and extract this file for use in Step 7 (e.g.: to a USB flash drive).
5. Power down all loads connected to the UPS and turn off all outlet groups (you cannot perform the update with the outlets powered on).
6. Connect an Ethernet cable directly between the NMC and a laptop/computer that is not powered by the UPS (the power should be off by this stage anyway).
7. Login to the web console (default username/password is: apc/apc). Using the file you downloaded/extracted in Step 3, upload the .ENC file via Configuration > Firmware Update
8. Wait - Do not touch anything! The LEDs on the UPS will flash and the LCD will indicate the update is in progress. This took about 5-7 minutes to complete.
9. Once the update finishes, the UPS will power-off completely. At this point you can power up the UPS/outlet groups via the front panel or via the NMC and resume normal operation.

Note 1: A good idea if this NMC is from another UPS or you've just purchased the card in used condition (e.g.: ebay).
Note 2: Double-check you are downloading the correct firmware for your NMC/UPS combination. There are different firmware files for Symmetra and Smart-UPS/Galaxy UPS models!

Other lessons learned
APC SmartSlot 1 cards such as the AP9619 are NOT compatible and will not fit into newer UPSs with a SmartSlot 2 expansion port. You need to check the back of your UPS for plastic tabs which protrude from the expansion slot. If it does, you need a SmartSlot 2 card such as a the AP9630 or AP9631 (there are others). An easy way to tell if a card will fit into a SmartSlot 2 is to look for the vertical cutouts on the NMC itself next to each screw hole (as pictured below).

The temptation will be just to break/cut off the plastic tabs to make a SmartSlot 1 card seat properly, don't do it!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:30:34 am by Halcyon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf