Author Topic: question about SMF  (Read 6390 times)

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
question about SMF
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:55:46 am »
How can i set a SMF so that by default members get notifications by email when a topic is replied to ?

Uncle Vernon

Re: question about SMF
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:50:21 pm »
How can i set a SMF so that by default members get notifications by email when a topic is replied to ?

You cant! Not while each member is able to set their own preferences.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:56:03 pm »
Well you can do it on phpBB although it means opening a php file and altering the code, it has to be there somewhere, it's a case of finding a file and the string of text. it can be decisive in getting a new forum off the ground

Offline PeterG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 01:02:33 pm »
I dont use SMF but there will definitely be a file to set the default manually, just a matter of time and a good editor...

Regards
Testing one two three...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:12:56 pm »
No idea, but maybe worth asking on the SMF support forum, as someone has likely done it or knows?
Maybe even a plugin?

Dave.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:08:23 pm »
yea looks like I'll have to go there and ask, thought maybe you knew. for the moment I'll set it manually for new users.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 02:14:56 pm »
If you ever do this to me I will hate you. The fundamental principle of user interface design is you allow your users to have control over what happens to them. Spamming people's inboxes as a default setting will annoy them and make them cancel their account.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:25 pm »
however it will get the forum moving in the beginning, when people discover their email settings they can do what they want with them

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 02:06:45 am »
Dear Simon:

--Good point. I did not think you could answer that one, but you did.

They say an ill workman never had good tools." Jonathan Swift

Best Regards
Clear Ether

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 06:01:42 am »
It is a small forum for the use of people in my local area so will not have a lot of traffic. It replaces one the council runs that is due to close due to funding cuts, apparently a poor designed website and accompanying forum was costing them £ 10'000 a year to run. When I expressed my dismay an said how simple it was to start again they sort of dared me to so I did and made them a new forum. The last forum was not exactly successful and i rarely visited it as there was no setting for emails notifications and i just kept forgetting to go back. Category indexes had topics on them ranging from yesterday to 2 years ago ! Hopefully the new one is more successful

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 06:18:47 am »
It is a small forum for the use of people in my local area so will not have a lot of traffic. It replaces one the council runs that is due to close due to funding cuts, apparently a poor designed website and accompanying forum was costing them £ 10'000 a year to run. When I expressed my dismay an said how simple it was to start again they sort of dared me to so I did and made them a new forum.

Sounds a lot like the new Altium forum!
So many people on the forum were complaining about how crap it was (and were leaving because of it), so I set up a new one for everyone to use. Order of magnitude better, it actually worked, cost nothing, was fully debugged, and only took 30 minutes or so to setup.
Altium of course, instead of saying thanks or wishing me good luck, slapped me with a cease-and-desist for using the trademarked name Altium in the URL.
Dickheads  ::)

Dave.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 06:43:55 am »
yea I had the same issue when I setup a forum for Rotaract so that went dead

the users of the old local forum are quite happy with the new one. the council can't complain and if they do I'll tell them to go swivel and remind them of their dear prime ministers desire that we have a Big Society (BS aka bull shit) where the gov let the people run the services for free as they have lost all the money we gave them to run them.

How they have been spending £10'000 a year on the website and forum eludes me from a logical point of view but then knowing how government bodies can spend money like liquor it is no surprise. A uni student could have done a better job for pocket money and had something to put on his/her CV. no doubt though they employed a company who charged them an arm and a leg for a poor quality website.

So if you live in the east northants area of the UK, or border with it, or used to live there or have any interest, feel free to join us: www.east-northants.co.uk

Offline slipjointed

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 06:47:15 am »
It is a small forum for the use of people in my local area so will not have a lot of traffic. It replaces one the council runs that is due to close due to funding cuts, apparently a poor designed website and accompanying forum was costing them £ 10'000 a year to run. When I expressed my dismay an said how simple it was to start again they sort of dared me to so I did and made them a new forum.

Sounds a lot like the new Altium forum!
So many people on the forum were complaining about how crap it was (and were leaving because of it), so I set up a new one for everyone to use. Order of magnitude better, it actually worked, cost nothing, was fully debugged, and only took 30 minutes or so to setup.
Altium of course, instead of saying thanks or wishing me good luck, slapped me with a cease-and-desist for using the trademarked name Altium in the URL.
Dickheads  ::)

Dave.

I'm constantly amazed at how people that can somehow manage to run a successful business, can also simultaneously manage to be complete and utter morons.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:16 am »
likewise, i can say the same for my employers

Offline slipjointed

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 06:48:58 am »
likewise, i can say the same for my employers

idiot savant? :P :D

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 06:49:52 am »
shooting ourselves in the feet is a phrase commonly heard in my work place

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf