Author Topic: Any rotary encoder recommendations?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline 741Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Circuit & PCB Design (small PCB quantities OK)
Any rotary encoder recommendations?
« on: June 22, 2020, 08:27:43 am »
The Bourns model feels smoother (almost too smooth in fact, so I feel it's not quite positive enough into the detents). The ebay type works fine, but is a bit heavy & grating. On balance,  I prefer the 'feel' of the Bourns model.

Partly this might be due to the fact that the Bourns is 24 detent (versus 20 detent for the other). I'm after something around 18-24 detent with centre-push and I wondered whether I could find a compromise price/performance wise between Bourns and 'generic'.

Some of the eBay encoders have a thicker body, more like Bourns, maybe these would be better built?

I'd be interested in photos (& links to) of encoders which cost less than Bourns but which have been tried & tested.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 01:08:57 pm by 741 »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Any rotary encoder recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 11:00:16 am »
FYI, the Bourns encoder you show is the PEC11R, the thick model. The low-profile eBay one is a clone of Bourns’ low-profile model, the PEC11L.

Given how cheap Bourns and Alps encoders are, and the problems with contact bounce that many people report with the eBay ones, I’m not sure it makes sense to go with eBay.

Offline 741Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Circuit & PCB Design (small PCB quantities OK)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 01:11:12 pm »
Thank you for that information about R vs. L. How do Alps compare I wonder?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 04:06:39 pm »
Thank you for that information about R vs. L. How do Alps compare I wonder?
Essentially interchangeable. Their products are so similar, I suspect they have some kind of agreements to dual-source components. Both are top quality.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 05:15:47 pm »
The Bourns model feels smoother (almost too smooth in fact, so I feel it's not quite positive enough into the detents).

I have used various detented ALPS encoders and never found them "too smooth". So maybe they are worth a try for you -- if there is a real difference. The difference in our perceptions might also be simply subjective; and of course the diameter of the knob has a significant influence on the force you need to apply to overcome the detents.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf