Author Topic: Any Arduino Beginners up for chat?  (Read 7055 times)

Offline ShaunLeeClarkeTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Hi from Melbourne!
    • ELV Technology
Any Arduino Beginners up for chat?
« on: December 14, 2010, 12:11:10 pm »
Hello everyone!

I've recently started playing around with an Arduino Uno. By background is in IT however electronics has been around as an interest since a young age.

I was wondering if there are any others out there in the same situation and want to chat and exchange ideas?

If so, my details are below.

Email: shaun.c[removeme]larke[at]elvtechnology.com.au
Windows Live Messenger: shaun.c[removeme]larke[at]elvtechnology.com.au
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/shaun.c[removeme]larke2
Full time IT/AV tech from Melbourne VIC Australia. Newbie to electronics here to learn and maybe meet some friends :).

Offline paul30003

• Contributor
Re: Any Arduino Beginners up for chat?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 01:18:12 pm »
I've just built my first Arduino based project, more details in the introduce yourself thread. Look for myu other posts.

My programming skills need to be improved upon, and i'm sure we can share programming tips.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:01 am »
Now and again I write tutorials about Arduino for beginners.
Have a look at tronixstuff.com/tutorials

Offline Mr J

• Regular Contributor
    • Facebook mjssvt
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:03:40 am »
I just started as well. A great tutorial is Ladyada's site http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/index.html
and sparkfun electronics has some great example code with the products they sell.

Offline stan001

• Contributor
    • Arduino for Beginners
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:52:50 am »
Hi, I m in a similar situation, I like to take apart electronic stuff to find out how it works when I was a kid but did not really go into electronics after all these years until Sept this year when I read the book: MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery by Charles Plat , the final chapters mentioned about Arduino and I got myself an Arduino board...

Catching up by learning about electronics everyday...

tronixstuff have great tutorials... thank you..

Stanley

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:01:04 am »
Hi, I m in a similar situation, I like to take apart electronic stuff to find out how it works when I was a kid but did not really go into electronics after all these years until Sept this year when I read the book: MAKE: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery by Charles Plat , the final chapters mentioned about Arduino and I got myself an Arduino board...

Catching up by learning about electronics everyday...

tronixstuff have great tutorials... thank you..

Stanley

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoy them. (Hopefully) next week's article will be about GSM modules and controlling Arduino via SMS.

Offline stan001

• Contributor
    • Arduino for Beginners
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 10:17:56 am »
Glad to hear about the GSM module.. looking forward to it..

One of my plans was to make an Arduino controlling large scrolling LED Matrix ( a long one ) that can received SMS and display them on the long LED Matrix...

Most of the current commercial ones are just looping the message programmed over a serial port, not very interactive..

Stanley

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:24:22 am »
GSM module! I'm looking forward to it, thank you very much.
Finally a missing part has arrived (FME-SMA connector) so I've started writing the article. Should be ready in about ten days.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:08:06 pm »
GSM module! I'm looking forward to it, thank you very much.
Finally a missing part has arrived (FME-SMA connector) so I've started writing the article. Should be ready in about ten days.
And here it is: http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/tutorial-arduino-and-gsm-cellular-part-one/

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 11:50:22 pm »
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:26:09 am by tronixstuff »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 04:41:58 am »
becoz some people are pissed of at the arduino ;D
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline flapjackboy

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:52 am »
*waits for glossywhite to pop in with a rant about Arduinos and how much they suck*

Offline RaySolomon

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:30:15 am »
@ShaunLeeClarke

I'm in the same boat as you.
I just starting out learning the arduino. I am IT guy, web developer and have a little electronics experience from when I was younger.
For some reason I feel like seriously getting into electronics engineering. I'm so used to logic and programming that maybe that is why it captures my interest so much.

I bought several hundred components (sorted/organized), two arduinos (duemilanove and mega), one Propeller Demo Board, Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope, Fluke 87-V and anti-static mat. Also a bunch of other misc things. I spent less than $1000 and I have a complete lab for the first time. Its really neat.

I'm very excited to get started and learn the basics of how each component works and figure it out as I go.

I'm always up for helping or sharing ideas with anyone.
 8)

-Ray

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 05:06:52 pm »
I spent less than $1000 and I have a complete lab for the first time. Its really neat.
you really have to make it into a mess. share you mess here. even if we/i appreciate "tidyness", but a bit lesser than "messyness".

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf