Author Topic: Adding a New Circuit to Your Home. (Not)  (Read 7463 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Adding a New Circuit to Your Home. (Not)
« on: December 19, 2015, 01:47:57 pm »

Just when you think you might have seen it all.

This was a random Google find while searching for something else but I had to post. This is a 200 amp mains breaker panel.

Nice way to add a circuit?

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10353&d=1449206138

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Adding a New Circuit to Your Home. (Not)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 02:09:34 pm »
Priceless.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 02:41:54 pm »
That is rediculously, he should have used a ring terminal,  :-DD

Offline v8dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 03:43:19 pm »
Check this for wiring. This was at a wedding in a private home in Indonesia where they installed additional lighting fed from a generator. They ran a 2 core cable around the house and then the lights were installed in this fashion.

Some of the real wiring around this place is scary and the vast majority of fires in homes is from electrical faults. When you see them do this you can understand why.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 04:05:17 pm »
Here is one for ya...

Sue AF6LJ

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:20:31 pm »
I built a little 5X8 foot office in the basement, something easy to heat.  I joked that it had more outlets, 22, than the rest of the house.  Then I counted one day and it did.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:49:51 pm »
Must have been an old network engineer from the 10base5 days.

When I first moved into my previous house we found that the outdoor breaker would kick off every time it rained.  So I started digging up the outdoor light cable and found it was cut and spliced in several places and wrapped with electrical tape.  I ended up digging deeper to get below the frost line and putting in a new lamp post and some conduit to enter the house.  When I traced the old wire back through the garage I found out it went into the house in two difference places, basically there was a loop where it was spliced into the house circuit twice.  I ripped all that out and re-ran the house circuit to replace all the damaged cable and ran a new circuit for the outdoor wiring.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 09:20:24 pm »
I bought an older house and in the breaker box all the ground leads of the newer wires were connected together, but none were connected to ground.

In the basement there was a one foot section of pipe just hanging in space from a wire connected to a clamp.  The clamp had a tag that said, Do Not Remove This Ground Wire.    And they didn't.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 10:16:25 pm »
I bought an older house and in the breaker box all the ground leads of the newer wires were connected together, but none were connected to ground.

In the basement there was a one foot section of pipe just hanging in space from a wire connected to a clamp.  The clamp had a tag that said, Do Not Remove This Ground Wire.    And they didn't.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-TMej9_HP-KA/Ty2AF2qQV7I/AAAAAAAAByE/a5t94VxjE6Q/s768/earth%2520ground.jpg?gl=US
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 11:33:31 pm »
I built a little 5X8 foot office in the basement, something easy to heat.  I joked that it had more outlets, 22, than the rest of the house.
That is easy to achieve. I have around 80 outlets in my office/lab spread over 2 circuits.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2015, 12:50:23 am »
Check this for wiring. This was at a wedding in a private home in Indonesia where they installed additional lighting fed from a generator. They ran a 2 core cable around the house and then the lights were installed in this fashion.

Some of the real wiring around this place is scary and the vast majority of fires in homes is from electrical faults. When you see them do this you can understand why.

What's wrong with vampire taps?!?   >:D >:D  They're quick and easy!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 01:06:37 am »

This was a random Google find while searching for something else but I had to post. This is a 200 amp mains breaker panel.

The red piece is probably #14 to act as a fusible link for the #12 that it feeds.  :-+

In all seriousness, what some people do with mains wiring (even more wrong in places like the US, UK/Western Europe and Australia & New Zealand, where we know better and can easily obtain the parts and the information on doing it correctly is easily and readily available) is truly frightening, and it's amazing that the hack jobs don't cause MORE fires, injuries or deaths than they do.  I don't get what's going through someone's head when they make a connection like that!   :wtf: :palm: :palm:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2015, 02:06:10 am »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2015, 02:55:02 am »
That accounts for the western village idiot's attempts at mains wiring, however I think there is something deeper going on here.  In countries where the bulk of the population believes in religions that encourage fatalism, the attitude seems to be that bad wiring wont kill you unless it was your preordained day to die anyway.   The resulting wiring practices make technically educated western agnostics cringe.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2015, 09:23:16 am »

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 09:58:13 am »

That looks perfectly OK, they used safety pins, after all.  :-DD

Offline jh15

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 10:45:42 am »

OMG! The wire is wound CCW under the screw!

Tek 575 curve trcr top shape, Tek 535, Tek 465. Tek 545 Hickok clone, Tesla Model S,  Ohio Scientific c24P SBC, c-64's from club days, Giant electric bicycle, Rigol stuff, Heathkit AR-15's. Heathkit ET- 3400a trainer&interface. Starlink pizza.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf