Author Topic: A public apology for my possibly antagonising posts...  (Read 29984 times)

Offline glossywhiteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
A public apology for my possibly antagonising posts...
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »
Hi guys. I just wanted to say a big sorry to anyone on this forum whom I may have upset, irritated or otherwise rubbed up the wrong way. Sometimes it is prudent to hold back the tide of backlash and frustration - I should have done so. I hope you guys will accept this apology - I love this new found online community; a perfect outlet for my lifelong interest in electronics.

Especially to Dave, I say thank you for all you do for us, and I'll try my utmost to curb my tongue from now on.

Take care guys, and enjoy your weekend :D

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: A public apology for my possibly antagonising posts...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »
Don't worry about it. I think there are some very arrogant people (not mentioning any names) here who have made worse posts but are too stuck up to ever apologise for their behaviour.

By the way I like the way the forum has been moderated so far and don't think it should change. I'd hate it to go the way of another forum I post at, where the moderator can say what he likes about you but you can be banned for calling someone ignorant for believing in perpetual motion or for saying the word fuck.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:48:49 pm »
Moderation of this board was introduced initially to control spam, although as it grows things will tend to sway from time to time. I've always found the best thing on any new forum I join is to settle in for a month or two as you will soon "get to know" the main contributors and when to ignore people and let their potential inflaming behavior die a death of no reaction it deserves.

Yes I was a member of "that other forum" too and stopped using it because it was full of peoples attitude and many of them were moderators with the attitude which is not good. For example their approach to MCU's is that assembler is the only way, Damn them, I wasted so much of my time thanks to some so called experts ! and nearly gave up on MCU's.

Things have always been fairly relaxed around here but then everyone has always known the natural limits they should not go beyond in order to kepp this a friendly place where we all learn from each other. Yes the odd swear word is accepted, but I'd hate it to turn into a board full of F this and F that all the times and other unneccesary words. Theres a time for everything.

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »
Is that other forum called allaboutcircuits.com? What's with the hush hush?
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline Longhair

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:03:07 pm »
Swear words would carry more meaning if they were used less.

Offline CafeLogic

• Regular Contributor
    • Cafe Logic
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 08:09:37 pm »

Thanks, I was trying to figure out what it was. Simon's obsession with assembly comment had me thinking it was electro-tech but I had never heard such moderation complaints.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 08:44:02 pm »
*thumbs up*

Dave.

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:15 pm »

Thanks, I was trying to figure out what it was. Simon's obsession with assembly comment had me thinking it was electro-tech but I had never heard such moderation complaints.

Ironically, I was banned today from ElectroTech.  I posted an article about my TI TMP513 thermocouple circuit using Swordfish Basic on Digital-DIY.com, and put a post with a link on ElectroTech to share the knowledge.  I was banned for "advertising Digital-DIY."

I have gone against the flow there, saying that programming need not be painful - it can be done using language like Basic so that you can have some LEDs flashing or some other working project in short order.  I also go against the idea that every page of the data sheet must be read, understood and memorized before any project can possibly start.  The truth was really self-evident when I looked at the ban notice.  On the top was a large ad by Digikey, and on the bottom a large ad by Stanford University.  Obviously, the number of hits a web site has, the more revenue from the advertising.

By the way...the thermocouple circuit works great, so if you'd like a $4 available alternative to a $15 MAX6675, check it out.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 08:59:22 pm »

It is electro-tech, yea the smell of assembly on there give it away miles before you hit the stuck up bunch, it seems that many of us are renegades from over there

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 09:03:21 pm »
... it seems that many of us are renegades from over there

I'm glad to be in such fine company!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »
you can say that again !  ;D

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:11:17 pm »
Lots of people got pissed off with the moderation on ETO. In my experience, it wasn't too bad until the tosser administrator (Electromaster) got more involved in moderating rather than doing his job which is to manage the site and server. Fair enough Nigel has strong views (especially on assembler LOL) but at least he's generally fair and contributes to the forum. Bryan can be a bit of a wanker every now and then but Electromaster was much worse. I don't know what his problem is, perhaps he was bullied at school and he's bitter? But I was bullied and I'm not like that.

The thing which pissed me off most of all was a troll would start posting bullshit about free energy and not listen when a more knowledgeable member told them they were talking bollocks. This would often cause an argument but guess who would be banned? The experienced member not the troll. It's not just me, this happened to plenty of people and it was always Electrotosser's fault.

In the end I was banned when I cracked after putting up with snide comments from Bryan for too long, I told him he's a bad moderator. I know that probably wasn't wise but I don't give a fuck and would've left anyway.

For the record I agree with Nigel about assembler being the best way to learn but you're right too:  if you just want to get your project done it's not the best language to use.

Offline CafeLogic

• Regular Contributor
    • Cafe Logic
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:01 pm »
LOL, I had no idea there were so many ETO rejects. The thing that amazes me is that you are all active posters. It just seems like a stupid thing to do (banning you).

I won't argue that assembly is a good way to learn but I don't agree with the order. I don't think there is a better way to turn people off of MCUs then to make them program in assembly. I would advocate C first.

If you do want to learn assembly. I like this guy's videos. I really liked the advanced C course.

http://www.vtc.com/modules/products/authorInfo.php?author=186

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 10:47:29 pm »
Huh.  I've never been on ETO, but I'm tempted to go, stir the pot, and bail.  8-)
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Offline CafeLogic

• Regular Contributor
    • Cafe Logic
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 10:49:20 pm »
Huh.  I've never been on ETO, but I'm tempted to go, stir the pot, and bail.  8-)

If you do, make this the title of your first post.

"The only reason you love assembly is because you're too old to learn C"

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 10:53:08 pm »
LOL, I had no idea there were so many ETO rejects. The thing that amazes me is that you are all active posters. It just seems like a stupid thing to do (banning you).

I won't argue that assembly is a good way to learn but I don't agree with the order. I don't think there is a better way to turn people off of MCUs then to make them program in assembly. I would advocate C first.

If you do want to learn assembly. I like this guy's videos. I really liked the advanced C course.

http://www.vtc.com/modules/products/authorInfo.php?author=186

I like and use both ASM & C (I know more C, and have the K&R book if I need it - ASM it totally new to me, but makes perfect sense). I find that the more you abstract yourself away from the real "nitty gritty" of the raw mechanics of the hardware, the more you seem to lose touch with what is really going on. I can literally imagine bytes of data being shifted between memory cells, as I write assembly for the PIC, but it does take a lot of patience and a logical, lateral-thinking mind. I used to (try) to code Objective C for the Mac & iPhone... ugggh! It took me over a year, to learn almost nothing.

Offline CafeLogic

• Regular Contributor
    • Cafe Logic
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:48 pm »

I like and use both ASM & C (I know more C, and have the K&R book if I need it - ASM it totally new to me, but makes perfect sense). I find that the more you abstract yourself away from the real "nitty gritty" of the raw mechanics of the hardware, the more you seem to lose touch with what is really going on.

I agree completely but if I had to know one Id still take C.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 10:59:20 pm »

I like and use both ASM & C (I know more C, and have the K&R book if I need it - ASM it totally new to me, but makes perfect sense). I find that the more you abstract yourself away from the real "nitty gritty" of the raw mechanics of the hardware, the more you seem to lose touch with what is really going on.

I agree completely but if I had to know one Id still take C.

C is to breadboard, what ASM is to etching a PCB and soldering it all up; IE, C is faster for writing code, right? :)

Offline CafeLogic

• Regular Contributor
    • Cafe Logic
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 11:18:31 pm »
C is to breadboard, what ASM is to etching a PCB and soldering it all up; IE, C is faster for writing code, right? :)

I can't agree with that because a breadboard is never a permanent solution and is inferior as far as electrical performance. I would say ASM is like etching a PCB and C is like ordering it from the PCB house  :D.

In the majority of situations ASM provides no advantage. Modern compilers will write faster code than an inexperienced ASM programmer. For me, the only reason I care about ASM is so I can figure out exactly what the hell my compiler is doing, or to look at the code when I am stepping through a program. Of course there are those rare times you need absolute control over the timing, such as disabling a lock bit. Also, sometimes a MCU has unique instructions that C does not support or even that are complicated to implement in C, such as rotate right/left. Discounting that, I say what's the point?

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 11:35:19 pm »
asm is great for keeping a small footprint and/or counting cycles.
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 12:18:48 am »
nothing greater than seeing your project comes into alive ;D
in whatever language you are using.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 03:32:40 am »

This

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 05:55:19 am »
This
what this? ???
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 06:19:16 am »

ElectroTech has that covered....you can't post for some number of days after you create an account! 

It's really galling that my "offensive" post remains on the site!

I've been banned and couldn't even see anything past the "you've been bad" message until I just deleted the cookies for the site.  But I suppose most users of that site wouldn't be able to figure that out.

Offline RayJones

• Frequent Contributor
    • Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 06:26:39 am »
This
what this? ???

Total agreement with what you said without going into a long verbose spiel like I'm doing right now  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf