Author Topic: A minute of electricity black-out that made into news headlines ...  (Read 3742 times)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
Re: A minute of electricity black-out that made into news headlines ...
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2020, 10:41:46 pm »
Actually I wonder if cities tax generator cans as a building... knowing how stingy they are, they probably do.  My city does not even allow sea cans at all (typically what generators are in) but not sure how that works for businesses, maybe they get an exception.  We have two 110kw units in a seacan here.  A lot of our buildings don't though which boggles us, especially the remote fly in sites.  It costs around 30k to fly in a generator every time one is needed.  There's one site where we had to fly one in like 20 times in a very short time span due to unstable power, a stationary one would have paid for itself and years of maintenance.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 12:56:16 am »
And again the prices of memories will go up...

2018 again???

Big coincidence isn't it (Corsair is known to use Samsung in most of his products).

And as I expected:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/ssd-nand-price-rise-40-percent-2020

It’s looking like today is a good day to buy a new SSD, because if the rumours emanating from Taipei are to be believed prices are set to skyrocket over the next few months. Prices of NAND flash memory, the essential building blocks of solid state drives, are set to rise by up to 40% this year.

Coincidence that the news come after the power failure in the Samsung Factory? There is no coincidences. I can speculate that the supposed power failure was not really a power failure but something on propose... Lose some money now, activate the insurance (this companies have insurance for this kind of events, mind it) and the win double the amount in the following months, on sales alone and in the hike of stock market prices for shares...

Now you say: "Ohh but they will be found for price gouging and market manipulation! Yes they were also found guilty in earlier times, and paid a fine that was way lower than the revenue earned during the years of practice under investigation before the fine:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Chinese-government-accuses-Samsung-Micron-and-SK-Hynix-of-fixing-DRAM-prices.365946.0.html

This isn’t the first time these three companies have been accused of price fixing. Back in 2005, the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) brought formal charges against Samsung, SK Hynix, Micron, and others for fixing DRAM prices. Samsung, SK Hynix, and Micron ultimately pled guilty to the charges and paid massive fines (collectively, about US $650 million), although Micron was given amnesty in exchange for cooperating with the DoJ.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:04:19 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 01:02:42 am »
Coincidence that the news come after the power failure in the Samsung Factory? There is no coincidences.
Of course its not a coincidence. Brokers have people specifically tracking the manufacturer's processes, looking for anything that might cause a supply hiccup. They then soak up any stock they can find before anyone else grabs it, and adjust ongoing prices accordingly.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2020, 03:14:05 am »
If it's setup right and is of good quality it should not require much upkeep.  In the case of a generator you should run it once in a while and test and exercise it, but other than fuel to run it for a few hours a month it's not that big a deal.  A battery based system is even less maintenance, just need to add water to them once in a while.  Something that is online is running all the time too so if there is a problem you can deal with it before it becomes a big one.  There are no transfer switches either to worry about in such a system.   Even in places with reliable power, they sometimes need to do maintenance on the lines, or a car can hit a hydro pole etc... things happen.

I eventually want to convert my home system to online, right now it's standby, so there is still a chance of the transfer relay failing.

The typical Canadian home has a 200 Amp main breaker. 200 A x 240 V = 48 000 Watts

Do you have a 48 000 Watts standby power system?

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2020, 04:22:04 am »
At a place I used to work we had outages on two different occasions that were caused by the huge UPS failing. One of those incidents filled the whole building with smoke.

To be reliable, the UPS needs to be regularly tested and that by itself tend to cause failure unless the designers, builders, and installers were all unusually competent.

This has been my experience too.  In one of my work's locations, the building UPS itself would let the occasional nasty rip on the output side right into the technical equipment every so often and a few pieces of gear would get fried inevitably.  It was worse than having the plant running straight off commercial power.  There was one spectacular incident where it blew up more equipment than there were spares for on site and I ended up taking spares from my normal work location home on the commuter train and then jumped in the car at the crack of dawn the next morning and motored down the highway to repair the damage and get the place working again.

More recently, closer to home, it was automatic transfer switch testing that went bad.  The transfer switch threw fine but the UPS didn't shoulder the load while the generators spun up and the effect was as if a giant power bar feeding most of the place's equipment suddenly got yanked out of the wall.  It was close to three days before the last of the mess that caused was all cleaned up.

The typical Canadian home has a 200 Amp main breaker. 200 A x 240 V = 48 000 Watts

Are 200 amp services the standard now?  I know insurance companies charge a hefty premium on old houses that still have 60 amp electric services and my neighbours ate some expensive premiums until they got an electrician in to install a new 100 amp breaker panel and service to the hydro pole.  Most average houses I've seen have all been 100 amp services with 200 amps in big houses or where the homeowner's gone over the top.  My house is a small 1000 square foot wartime bungalow and the previous guy who lived here had a 200 amp service installed which is total overkill for such a small house.  On the other hand, my workshop isn't starved for juice to spin up equipment with!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 04:39:59 am »
I don't know about Canada but in the US a 200A service has been standard since at least 1979 when my house was built. It's a typical suburban split level, the sort that were at one time considered starter homes and sold with an unfinished basement. I've seen a few large (~3500sqft) houses with 400A and at least one ridiculously large house that had a 600A service but the vast majority of what I encounter from the late 70s on has been 200A.

It occurred to me that things may be skewed somewhat in this region since the abundance of cheap hydro power has historically meant a lot of houses were fully electric without natural gas service and had resistance heat and cooking appliances. Gas is common now but the widespread use of electric heat up into the mid 80s may have driven adoption of higher capacity electrical service earlier than in other parts of the country.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 09:15:35 am »
Coincidence that the news come after the power failure in the Samsung Factory? There is no coincidences.
Of course its not a coincidence. Brokers have people specifically tracking the manufacturer's processes, looking for anything that might cause a supply hiccup. They then soak up any stock they can find before anyone else grabs it, and adjust ongoing prices accordingly.

I'm not talking about brokers... I'm talking about Samsung, the company itself... Call me paranoic, but looking at the past practices and knowing the power and market share than Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix have in the "memory world", that it wasn't a fault of power that just happened. What really says to me than the power failure wasn't intentional?

All than happen after that, is just the normal free market and speculation working.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 12:17:18 pm »

I'm not talking about brokers... I'm talking about Samsung, the company itself... Call me paranoic, but looking at the past practices and knowing the power and market share than Samsung, Micron and SK Hynix have in the "memory world", that it wasn't a fault of power that just happened. What really says to me than the power failure wasn't intentional?

All than happen after that, is just the normal free market and speculation working.
Sure. If a company experiences slack demand, or they just can't coax prices above break even, they may do many strange and devious things to avoid a clearly defined production cutback.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 02:02:27 pm »

That's just the max rating you can draw from the hydro drop, does not mean you're actually using that much power.   In my case it's just my server stuff that's on UPS so I only have 750 watts of backup for around 4 hours.  I eventually do want to upgrade that though.

200 amp service was popular for a while when it was affordable to heat with hydro but now that everyone heats with gas most people get away with 100 amp service.  I think for new builds they still put 200 though, as there's not really that much extra initial cost.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 07:52:24 pm »
That's just the max rating you can draw from the hydro drop, does not mean you're actually using that much power.   In my case it's just my server stuff that's on UPS so I only have 750 watts of backup for around 4 hours.  I eventually do want to upgrade that though.

200 amp service was popular for a while when it was affordable to heat with hydro but now that everyone heats with gas most people get away with 100 amp service.  I think for new builds they still put 200 though, as there's not really that much extra initial cost.

Now that you mention it, I do remember the home inspector mentioning that 200A was a 1980s thing.  One of my friends who’s an electrician told me once that he only installs 200A services in new builds because the difference in cost between running a 100A service and a 200A one is pretty small but this way, the extra capacity is provided for up front without having to redo the service and panel. This was before battery electric cars were a thing to so these houses are covered capacity wise in case anybody wants to install a high rate car charger.  For that matter, so it my bungalow.

Electric heat. No thank you.  Definitely not in Ontario, not with Dalton McGuinth/Kathleen Wynne hydro rates. Absolutely not.  Maybe if I was living in Quebec with what Hydro-Quebec rates are, but definitely not here.  I converted this place to natural gas for heat and hot water heating about a year and a half after I moved in from oil heat and an electric water heater.  Electric heat was not on the table at all and junking the electric water heater was second from top of the list after replacing the furnace because all the electonics technologists at my workplace do shift work. A week of showers at the wrong time of day during the wrong season causing that 3,000 Watt heating element to come on and stay on to recover the water tank during on peak billing time with the highest of the high time of use rates was spiking the bill badly.  Every time I read an Ars Technica article talking about how the state of California is thinking about time of use billing, I want to sit. Up so I can write comments saying, “No!  Don’t.  Don’t do it!  Bad idea.  As someone in Ontario stuck with it, don’t do it.  You’ll be paying through the nose if you work shifts.  You’ll be paying through the nose if you have kids and have to cook at a reasonable hour!  You’ll be paying through the nose if you can’t strategically plan when you need to do your laundry!”

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2020, 10:02:26 pm »
Yeah can't imagine heating with hydro, which is too bad because it's green, but I literally would not be able to afford it, it would be like over a grand per month! 

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2020, 10:41:17 pm »
Where I lived in Orange County, California, about half of the houses were all electric with heat pumps for heating.  At the time they were built, electricity "too cheap to meter" was suppose to become available "real soon now" and nuclear power was the future.  They just recently shut down San Onofre nuclear power station which supplied that area and high prices and rolling blackouts have been accepted for 20 years now.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 12:15:43 am »
I currently pay a bit over 8c/kWh here which would make heating my house with electric resistance prohibitively expensive, but not THAT expensive. It was quite a bit cheaper in the 80s because it was subsidized somehow, something relating to the dams. IIRC the areas around the Grande Coulee hydro dam have power that costs about 2c/kWh even today.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 12:20:02 am »
To be reliable, the UPS needs to be regularly tested and that by itself tend to cause failure unless the designers, builders, and installers were all unusually competent.

I'm reminded of the (probably made-up, but told to me as true) story of the facility with a standby diesel generator that was regularly tested, and always worked perfectly until the utility power went out for real.  The generator wouldn't start when needed.  It turns out that the generator used an electric start motor, and the starter motor required power from the mains.

On a separate note, I live in Northern California, where the local power company has started a policy of deliberately shutting down the power when we have high fire danger, to lessen the risk that one of the utility lines will spark a wild fire.  This past October, my home county had a complete utility power shutdown for 45 hours.  During the outage, I was listening to the fire dispatch radio channel.  The outage started after sunset, and the following day around midday, after the power had been out for around 18 hours, I heard firefighters dealing with a call to a local elder-care nursing home.  It seems the building had a standby generator that somehow overheated and caused a fire in the building.  They had to evacuate residents.  The fire was inside the walls of the structure, and they had to chop into the walls to extinguish the fire.  Since I was only listening to the chatter over the radio, I never heard about the results of the investigation, if any.  I'd guess that the generator lacked adequate ventilation and/or cooling system, but it seems to have lasted the better part of a full day before catching fire.  It probably would have passed a test run of a reasonably short duration.

It's often difficult to mitigate against rare problems.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 02:10:36 am »
I currently pay a bit over 8c/kWh here which would make heating my house with electric resistance prohibitively expensive, but not THAT expensive. It was quite a bit cheaper in the 80s because it was subsidized somehow, something relating to the dams. IIRC the areas around the Grande Coulee hydro dam have power that costs about 2c/kWh even today.

In the province of Quebec, the vast majority of the electricity is produced by hydropower. The rate is 6.08 cents/kWh.

It is 25% less expensive than from where you are. We shall not convert the currency value, because well, we are paying our own electricity bill with our home currency.

Here, heating with electricity is very popular. And it gets freaking cold in the winter.

:)

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 02:18:17 am »

Oh sorry Red Squirrel, I thought you had a whole home backup system. It is expensive, and then you need to maintain the system continuously; but there are people you want to be able to act like if there no power outage, when there is a power outage.

The rest of us get by with a 4000 Watts generator.

:)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 06:46:14 am »
I find a 2kW Honda inverter generator to be adequate. It will run my refrigerator, laptops, TV, internet router/modem/gear, gas stove and oven igniter, gas furnace blower and the lights which are all LED. The only thing I can't do is run the clothes dryer or run a big load like the vacuum cleaner while the dishwasher is running. With just a bit of management it's adequate while being extremely quiet and fuel efficient.

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2020, 07:16:49 am »
I worked on a project where we took a fab line down. We were doing an out of cycle required update, fully tested the full upgrade procedure multiple times in test, fully documented with step by step instructions on how to perform the upgrade to the cluster while keeping the line up, but a mistake in not executing one of the steps caused the cluster to go down.

It cost several million dollars. Even with the best plans and foresight sometimes things go wrong. You deal with the situation and move on.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2020, 02:20:31 am »
I'm reminded of the (probably made-up, but told to me as true) story of the facility with a standby diesel generator that was regularly tested, and always worked perfectly until the utility power went out for real.  The generator wouldn't start when needed.  It turns out that the generator used an electric start motor, and the starter motor required power from the mains.
I suspect the generator was either meant to be used with a UPS system or someone put a big charger on the battery which masked the battery being weak/dead. ("They want $400 for that little charger? Let's replace it with this $300 Snap-on, the auto shop next door has been using them for over 20 years and they always work.")
I worked on a project where we took a fab line down. We were doing an out of cycle required update, fully tested the full upgrade procedure multiple times in test, fully documented with step by step instructions on how to perform the upgrade to the cluster while keeping the line up, but a mistake in not executing one of the steps caused the cluster to go down.

It cost several million dollars. Even with the best plans and foresight sometimes things go wrong. You deal with the situation and move on.
Have they looked into using an aerospace-like checklist system? It works really well to keep the team in sync during complicated procedures that have to be done right.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf