Author Topic: A major Australian retailer is limiting self-service checkouts  (Read 9591 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
A major Australian retailer is limiting self-service checkouts
« on: February 10, 2017, 05:23:25 am »

Yes, I'm just getting a bunch of carrots.

Oz chain trials fewer self-checkouts to fight carrot-swiping theft
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-38919678

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: A major Australian retailer is limiting self-service checkouts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:33:51 am »
I think the news has gotten a bit muddled up.

It appears that rather than reduced the number of self-service checkouts, Coles is limiting the number of items you can purchase at said checkouts to 12. If you want to buy any more than that, then you need to use a traditional manned checkout (that's the intended idea anyway).

Woolworths on the other hand are doing the opposite; They are increasing the number of self-service checkouts with some inner Sydney stores set to only have a single manned lane.

I'm personally a fan of the self-service checkout, I use them every time with the exception of when I'm doing a large shop with a trolley. I'm the sort of shopper who gets in and out as quickly as possible. I go for what I require, nothing more. I don't aimlessly walk through each aisle looking for items "I might need". I find the line moves far quicker in self-service as well (if there is a queue, it's usually only 20-30 seconds long).

If they start limiting items to 12 per transaction, I'll probably do what most people do and look for a way around it. Simply put, conduct two separate transactions, one after the other. I don't pay a fee on my bank card so I can use it as many times as I like.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:34:18 am »
And Bank of America (formerly Bank of Tokyo before political correctness) will open 50 new "completely automated" branch offices this year with no employees.  Perhaps a part-time maintenance/repair/janitor.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/banking/bank-watch-blog/article131267794.html

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:43:32 am »
I might also add that each store is different depending on where it is and the amount of theft that occurs there.

My local supermarkets (Coles and Woolworths) allow you to scan multiple items in succession without first placing each item in the bagging area between scans.

Other suburbs have the scales under the bagging area enabled so it weighs each and every item as you go. It doesn't let you scan the next item before placing the previous one in the bagging area to be weighed. If it detects a discrepancy on the weight of the item and what the expected weight should be, it stops the checkout process until you correct the error. It's a bit annoying especially when you have multiples of the same product, but I can see why they do it.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:59:28 am »
I might also add that each store is different depending on where it is and the amount of theft that occurs there.

This is true, our local store is generally pretty good and they seem to focus the staff towards the assisted checkouts which I prefer, another store a couple of suburbs away are complete and utter peanuts and it is commonplace to see three or more staff assisting with the self service checkouts and only one regular assisted checkout in operation with a queue of people all the way back to the silly sausage department.

Peanuts !!.   :palm: :popcorn:

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:37:31 am »
I'll admit I have probably picked the wrong product on those things a few times, deliberately. Trying to find the right bakery or fruit/veg item is a pain in the ass usually. So maybe I didn't select the exact donut or croissant...

Otherwise I love these machines. No small talk with the checkout person. No getting you a queue only to find the person in front has a wad of coupons, pays half in cash half on card(s!) or can't find their purse or wallet. Just after you unloaded all your items...
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:45:16 am »
It's a bit annoying especially when you have multiples of the same product, but I can see why they do it.

don't you have the "multiple" button?
though all self checkouts here are made from the same company and mount a variation of the same software (different logos, databases, payment option.. all such minor stuff) and some let me enter multiples of item (press multiple, number, scan article, check total added weight)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:54:31 am »
don't you have the "multiple" button?
though all self checkouts here are made from the same company and mount a variation of the same software (different logos, databases, payment option.. all such minor stuff) and some let me enter multiples of item (press multiple, number, scan article, check total added weight)

No! It's bloody annoying. If you go to the "POS" screen (which the store employees have access to) you can enter multiples, but you need a login for it. For stuff like individual citrus fruit, I just enter the PLU multiple times or alternatively search for the product using the first three characters. It's actually quite quick and saves having to go through the pretty picture menus each time (or asking a staff member to do it for you). I guess most people wouldn't do that though?

I guess it's easy enough to enable it in software but they've chosen not to? Maybe so that it's a simple as possible for older customers? Too many buttons tend to freak people out I'm guessing?

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:27:11 am »
The thing that annoys me is that it is slow. Cashier can beep-beep-beep it rapidly, but self-service is sloooow. I beep some item, put it in the dock and wait, I cannot beep another item immediately.
Thus I am limited to self-service machine speed. There is no space I can go forward with my hands synchronization training. :(

I believe that Tesco has some machine with some Java engine ? :o Anyway, I dont go to Tesco anymore.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:30:06 am by razberik »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 09:12:41 am »
Well, I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing operate the checkout. I seem to find every possible irritating failure mode whenever I feel foolhardy enough to try it.

Also my religion forbids doing the work myself without a discount to compensate me for the aggravation. And another thing, I am yet to be convinced the staff member there couldn't put customers through faster than customers do it themselves. They are only there to scope for shoplifting.

I used to align my arrival at the queue with another self service customers arrival to see who exits the store first. There was not much it most of the time. Not a compelling case either way. I remember the "wins" more so I can't say definitively which is faster.

I think I can scan just as fast, if not, faster than those staff members. I have my own 'system' of arranging the bags. I have the advantage of knowing what's in my basket so I can anticipate what's coming up next. For example, I've already selected the fruit/vegetable from the menu before I've placed it on the scale. That said, having the bagging area scales disabled makes a huge difference. In those stores where you have to scan one item at a time, it slows things down significantly.

Offline mrpackethead

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 09:25:58 am »
I Like beetroot
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 10:01:35 am »
My usual interaction with these machines goes something along the lines of:

> Do you have your own bag today?

Yes

> Please place your bag in the bagging area

[place]

> Unexpected item in nbagging area, please remove it before continuing

:palm:

YES, I have my own bag.

NO, it's not empty.

Deal with it!  |O

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 10:10:45 am »

Yes

[place]

YES, I have my own bag.

NO, it's not empty.

Deal with it!  |O

This is not an issue (or question) I encounter at all. The systems at my local supermarkets don't give a crap what's in the bagging area. Canberra on the other hand, that's another story. They have largely banned plastic bags from all stores (and if you want one, you have to pay for one).

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 10:16:57 am »
In that case I'm happy for you, but here it's a pain in the ar*e, especially when I'm out on my bike with a rucksack.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 10:19:12 am »
In that case I'm happy for you, but here it's a pain in the ar*e, especially when I'm out on my bike with a rucksack.

Completely agree. Whenever I'm in Canberra, I just go to a checkout manned by a human. It's far quicker and easier.

I think whoever designed these systems isn't human.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 10:22:30 am »

Yes

[place]

YES, I have my own bag.

NO, it's not empty.

Deal with it!  |O

Unexpected meltdown in the bagging area!  ;D
Best Regards, Chris

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 10:30:00 am »
I think whoever designed these systems isn't human.
To be fair, I suspect a significant number of the people who use them probably fall into that category too  :'(

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 01:35:17 pm »
 Interesting, as here in the US, most grocery stores that implement self checkouts report LESS loss than at the manned stations. There are two basic types I find in stores around here, the one most places implement is small, and is the type that constantly needs attendant help as it fails to detect you've placed the item in the bag, and the other which is the same size as a full manned station, which used both optical sensors as well as weight as the item rolls down the conveyor and where I have NEVER had an issue with it not seeing my item.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 05:27:56 pm »
 Frankly, I think it would be the other way around - as in I'd think Australians would be a little more honest, but I've not yet had the opportunity to visit, and then there is that whole continent of convicts thing  ;D

I've not seen any sort of information with regards to self checkout at more general stores like Walmart and Target, the reduced losses information I heard was only for food stores. I suppose it comes down not to customer honesty but fewer mistakes - not so much as in entering the wrong item, most individually sold fruits and vegetables sold in the US have a sticker on each piece with the number you are supposed to key in - but more like mistakes by cashiers giving the wrong change and that sort of thing.

They also have self checkouts in some of the home improvement stores as well. I wonder how many people ring up a few boards of pine but walk out with oak or something. The self checkouts are supervised, but just one attendant for 4 or more checkout (most for the "put the item in the bag" "it IS in the bloody bag!" problems).

Offline RGB255_0_0

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 05:54:06 pm »
They also have self checkouts in some of the home improvement stores as well. I wonder how many people ring up a few boards of pine but walk out with oak or something. The self checkouts are supervised, but just one attendant for 4 or more checkout (most for the "put the item in the bag" "it IS in the bloody bag!" problems).
All you have to do is go there when it's really busy. The people running them end up running round - they scan their passcode and cancel the error. In all my time using them only once were the contents checked.
Your toaster just set fire to an African child over TCP.

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 06:35:14 pm »
I usually use the self checkout, it's pretty quick for the limited number of items I'm usually getting from big supermarkets.

Occasionally I'll "shoplift" something like the article is mentioning, but it's not intentional, it's because the machine screwed up and I'm not going to spend 5 minutes hunting a person down to tell them their machine messed up and I owe them more money.  If they don't want it to happen, they can buy better machines.

An example would be:
1) scan an item
2) put it in the bag
3) wait for it to register the weight and let me scan the next one
4) scan the next item
5) put it in the bag
6) notice that the machine made the beep when I scanned it and registered the weight, but didn't actually add the item to my total
7) pull the item back out of the bag
8) machine: "Item removed from bagging area, please return item"
9) me: "well screw you then, if you won't let me take it out of the bag to scan it again because your system messed up, that's on you"
10) continue with the rest of the items, pay bill, leave

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 06:44:04 pm »
We've had the cashier at kroger ask us once or twice to not use the self checkout as we had too many items.  I almost always use the smaller cart and not the big one so I usually argue with them and so far the managers have backed us up because the self checkout doesn't list a limit.
We prefer the self checkout over having bananas mixed with canned goods in the same bag like we get at the regular line.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 10:14:07 pm »
Interesting, here in NZ (Christchurch) the self  checkouts all operate by scales  in the bagging area to check products make sense, and non-barcoded products often get the "requires approval" routine (most checkouts you can continue while waiting), i suspect there must be some algorithm behind what requires approval, someties you get it, sometimes not.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 10:42:18 pm »
Interesting, here in NZ (Christchurch) the self  checkouts all operate by scales  in the bagging area to check products make sense, and non-barcoded products often get the "requires approval" routine (most checkouts you can continue while waiting), i suspect there must be some algorithm behind what requires approval, someties you get it, sometimes not.

Until recently that was the case here in Blighty but Tesco have started to use a mix of weigh and non-weigh in some of their convenience outlets, and the non-weigh are far less prone to being delayed due to a false "computer-says-no" error as a result. These also only take card payment, no cash.

There is still the nonsense of when you take advantage of a multi-buy (4 for 3 etc) where you can't simply scan one item and say x4, you have to scan the same item four times, and there's a delay of several seconds before the scanner switches on to allow you to rescan, even though the dumbass machine isn't weighing anything. I guess it's to make sure the customer could count to four when picking their items.

A few convenience stores only have self-checkout, no manned tills at all, which is interesting here in my neck of the woods where at the very least 50% of the customers are foreign tourists/visitors staying at local hotels. I'd imagine the consideration of such a test would be quite a turn off, the number of times something as simple as a credit card transaction doesn't work how you expect when abroad is enough, but those tills also don't seem to be multilingual.

The bag thing here is that either you bring your own or you pay a nominal £0.05 per bag, a law that was brought in a couple of years ago. It's enough to make you have a small stock at hand in various coat pockets and laptop bags, but not the end of the world when you forget. Paper bags are exempt, but not generally available or used at supermarkets here.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 10:44:05 pm »
Ours at Kroger, Meijer, and Giant Eagle all have scales.
The trick with speed is after you have scanned one item and are putting it in the bag is to start grabbing the next item with your other hand so you can scan as soon as the weight is done on the prior item.
I can go faster than a lot of cashiers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf