Author Topic: A little dissapointed with my new Solid state drive off ebay.  (Read 14868 times)

Offline Ed.KloonkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Hi.

So I finally bit the bullet and got a new SSD for my laptop since everyone says you should update to SSD if you can find one with enough capacity and for the right price. Didn't get a hybrid one since I want the full solid state so I can not worry about bumping the laptop too much anymore.

Took three weeks to come from Hong Kong. When I put it in the laptop, I have to say, it's a complete let down in terms of speed. So I took it back out and plugged it into a desktop machine and sure enough, doing file transfer, the drive is just as slow as it was in the laptop and performs just as slow as the old drive does.

But what's really strange is the new drive makes makes noises just like the old mechanical drive. I thought SSD's were supposed to be whisper quiet. 
iratus parum formica

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
Re: A little dissapointed with my new Solid state drive off ebay.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 11:38:23 am »
They shouldn't make any noise at all! Mine certainly does not, and it is significantly faster than the hard drive it replaced.

I would have a look in your device manager or equivalent to see exactly what the controller says it is. Did it look like a normal hard drive, or was it a bit smaller and a plain box without a visible motor in the centre, etc.?

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:00 am »
I mean yeah, you'd swear it's a mechanical drive to look at it. But it does have a sticker which someone wrote in ink: SSD.

iratus parum formica

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:44:27 am »
Some pictures please?  ;D

Offline Short Circuit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:45:36 am »
Probably a fake SSD, as in a rebadged normal drive or a 1.8 inside a SSD-looing case.
Generally, buying hot products like memory or storage devices from Asia is not the smartest idea...

Many scams around, this being one of the more obvious. Other variations are real SSD's but having
only a fraction of the capacity that is reported by the firmware, all fine until the actual available flash
is filled, then becomes somewhat unpredictable.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 11:48:30 am »
Sounds a bit dodgy :) They're usually noticeably lighter than a mechanical drive.

I agree with Short Circuit - whenever anything involves flash memory of any sort, you probably want to buy from a reputable shop to make sure you're getting the real deal.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:01:55 pm »

But what's really strange is the new drive makes makes noises just like the old mechanical drive. I thought SSD's were supposed to be whisper quiet.

What was the eBay item number? Any photos?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:07:32 pm »
better yet, if you have it in your system working, load up a bit of software called "hdtune" the free version, not the pro, and go to the info tab, it will give you the model number, and i am 99% sure if its making a noise whn you google that you will see its not a solid state drive,

also while your in it you could run a speed test and laugh at how slow the fake is, and run an error check and likely get it sent back as a damaged product with more than 1 red spot (red means your drive has more damaged sectors than it can re-allocate, and means its time to replace your hard drive in most cases as its about to die, maybe not, but ebay fakes its very likely

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:24:21 pm »
I mean yeah, you'd swear it's a mechanical drive to look at it. But it does have a sticker which someone wrote in ink: SSD.

Sharpies never lie   8)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 02:19:24 pm »
A HDD is
  40-100MB/s for sequential read
  1-3MB/s for random read
A SSD is
  200-500MB/s for sequential read
  35-80MB/s for random read

When you have a SSD in your PC you notice the speed.
Random reads are more than an order of magnitude better and sequential reads are nicely tripled or even quadrupled.

Sadly i agree with the others, sounds like it's a fake and not SSD at all.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:30:15 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »
sad to say but you got stiffed ....

i got a new laptop last friday that boots off of an SSD. it uses one of the latest samsung mSata drives ( so it does not have a 3 1/2 inch form factor but looks like a micro PCI-x card ). blistering fast.

I can clearly feel the difference between the flash drive and the two harddisks inside ( It's a custom built HP Envy 3D. 17 inch beastie with an I-7 , ivy bridge , 3D display , Blu ray , SSD boot drive and two 1 terabyte HDD's built in )
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 04:18:37 pm »
Amazing they would resort to that type of foolery.  Great photos.

Pop into the BIOS and check what is  inside as HD disk..

there is a lot of scam with disks..

The vendor has acknowledged the presence of fake internal and external hard drives in the UK channel and talking to PCR, one WD executive revealed that the vendor had first become aware of the issue when some faulty devices were returned. When the serial numbers were checked, they were found to have been fake and therefore ineligible for warranty – leaving the retailers out of pocket."

And there are things like this coming out of China..
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 05:39:56 pm »
it goes beyond that. they have customized firmware in the usb to flash controlle.r it will show up as a 1 terabyte drive , but physical mem is 4 gigayte or so..
only the last 4 gig that you save is really there. try to read any older file and you get gobbledegook ... or 'file not found'

there was anothe rone that had a big bolt inside and a samsing 1 gig flashdisk. they only stored the MFT or FAT.. the data wasn't even stored...
read the file and everything was empty....
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 06:43:25 pm »
That's amazing free_electron.  That means whomever is doing it relatively well skilled.  I wouldnt' be surprised if these counterfeits were made in quantity, with fairly convincing cases, packaging and labels.

it goes beyond that. they have customized firmware in the usb to flash controlle.r it will show up as a 1 terabyte drive , but physical mem is 4 gigayte or so..
only the last 4 gig that you save is really there. try to read any older file and you get gobbledegook ... or 'file not found'

there was anothe rone that had a big bolt inside and a samsing 1 gig flashdisk. they only stored the MFT or FAT.. the data wasn't even stored...
read the file and everything was empty....
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 07:08:15 pm »
The main benefit of a flash drive is not transfer speed (a RAID pair can easily match flash bandwidth) but the latency. The lack of head seek time and rotational latency means that the data is ready to be streamed much more quickly. 10ms may not sound much, but when an OS is shuffling hundreds of files with potentially thousands of fragments, then the overhead can really add up.

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:56 pm »
Now change the title to "A big disappointment with my new Solid state drive off ebay"

David.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 08:04:27 pm »
i have an ocz vertex 2 in my desktop the thing didnt even reach its stated 280mb/s read/write settles around 60mb/s write and 150mb/s max read but you can see the difference between loading speed compared to a wd raptor. and its bought from a local retail shop. anyway could you post some pics from the drive you bought and the ebay link for it?

Offline Stephen Hill

• Regular Contributor
  • M3VXY
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:38 pm »
i have an ocz vertex 2 in my desktop the thing didnt even reach its stated 280mb/s read/write settles around 60mb/s write and 150mb/s max read but you can see the difference between loading speed compared to a wd raptor. and its bought from a local retail shop. anyway could you post some pics from the drive you bought and the ebay link for it?

I would make sure your pc supports SATA3 and your bios is configured to use AHCI mode.

Also make sure you confirm your speeds with a proper benchmark tool like ATTO because the maximum speed will only be available under certain conditions.

Offline Stephen Hill

• Regular Contributor
  • M3VXY
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »
@Ed.Kloonk

What was the outcome of your mystery SSD?

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 08:11:50 am »

@Ed.Kloonk

What was the outcome of your mystery SSD?
Seller is suspended and to be banned. Not the first time apparently so he is gone for his trouble. I will get a refund. And I keep a mechanical drive I don't really want.
iratus parum formica

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 08:18:52 am »
Seller is suspended and to be banned. I will get a refund. And I keep a mechanical drive I don't really want.

That's great, who pays your refund? Seems unlikely they could get money out of the seller?
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 08:24:19 pm »

I would make sure your pc supports SATA3 and your bios is configured to use AHCI mode.

Also make sure you confirm your speeds with a proper benchmark tool like ATTO because the maximum speed will only be available under certain conditions.
its sata 2. and f**** the atto benchmark i dont know what that program measures but thats damn sure not real performance. it runs in AHCI mode the stock windows driver runs it better then the amd official, yep it runs on the integrated controller. no matter what i copied or read from it didnt overcome my numbers. and made the similar test using another ssd just to be sure its not a hdd limitation, as for overall perfomance its 10 times better then a hdd atleast. on the otherhand it uses a sandforce controller. that thing loves to compress data and if it cant be compressed the speed goes even lower

Offline Stephen Hill

• Regular Contributor
  • M3VXY
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »

its sata 2. and f**** the atto benchmark i dont know what that program measures but thats damn sure not real performance. it runs in AHCI mode the stock windows driver runs it better then the amd official, yep it runs on the integrated controller. no matter what i copied or read from it didnt overcome my numbers. and made the similar test using another ssd just to be sure its not a hdd limitation, as for overall perfomance its 10 times better then a hdd atleast. on the otherhand it uses a sandforce controller. that thing loves to compress data and if it cant be compressed the speed goes even lower

I only suggest ATTO so one can confirm that your drive can use all of the available bandwidth and matches the specs that the manufacturer provide.

But your right, in the real world, many other factors come into play.

When I built my new computer, I installed Windows on to the SSD with the default BIOS settings. I didn't feel it was as fast as it could have been so I tested the drive with ATTO and the fastest read speed was just under 300MB/s which is the limit of SATA 2. So I checked the BIOS and the default settings was SATA 2 mode. I changed this to AHCI, reinstalled windows and then used ATTO to confirm that the full speed of my SSD and SATA 3 was available. Now I got read speeds of just over 500MB/s in 4k blocks.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »
atto provides the stated numbers bye the manufacturer. and the intresting thing about this i tested this on a asus g73 laptop with its intel raid controller, tested with an desktop 2nd gen i7 and its motherboard's raid controller. it provided twice the i/o numbers than my amd/asus motherboard on the desktop but the mb/s stayed almost the same. wonder what will happen with a middle range lsi sas/sata controller via 4X pcie gen 2 interface

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf