Author Topic: a fidget spinner, a solar cell, compressed air and an oscilloscope  (Read 4398 times)

Offline FrankBussTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss

The input is AC coupled. The solar cell is a KXOB22-12X1F. It is pretty fast: When I use it with a PWM controlled flashlight, I can see steep rise and fall times. The test was done with a flashlight in continuous mode as well. Using my ceiling lamp resulted in a terrible 50 Hz noise.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: a fidget spinner, a solar cell, compressed air and an oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 08:17:28 pm »

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:27:03 pm »
I need a high pressure air compressor :)
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »
Haha I've been toying with buying one myself just so I can play with it from an electronics/electrical point of view.  Neat experiment with the solar cells. 

Would be amusing to use that to make an oscillator for a MCU.  :-DD

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 04:21:14 am »
I thought about adding a coin cell, some LEDs and a microcontroller to the fidget spinner itself for a persistence of vision LED thingie (which might need an accelerometer or some other mechanisms to detect a turn) or other experiments.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 06:23:47 am »
I thought about adding a coin cell, some LEDs and a microcontroller to the fidget spinner itself for a persistence of vision LED thingie (which might need an accelerometer or some other mechanisms to detect a turn) or other experiments.

I actually just ordered one, and a rpm meter, I had to join the fad. :P

Had an interesting idea, put magnets on it and create a 3 phase alternator.  I'm thinking if you spin it, then apply a load, it will make it slow down faster.  Will be a neat display of the laws of conservation of energy.    I need to check if any of my nephews are doing a science fair project this year, might be a neat idea for them.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:10:47 am »
I saw these fidget spinners for the first time at a flea market last weekend. I just don't get it, they spin around and ............?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 09:54:10 am »
I saw these fidget spinners for the first time at a flea market last weekend. I just don't get it, they spin around and ............?

It's the same like a Yoyo. If you are good, you can do some tricks with it:

I don't think I could ever spin it on my nose :)

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 10:05:25 am »
OK, I reckon that I'm about fifty years too old for this one, I'll sit it out till the next craze comes along.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline mgraves235

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 08:42:19 am »
be very careful with air pressure around those roller bearings. it's not hard to exceed what they're rated for and they will forcefully eject the rollers or needles at a very high rate of speed. exploding bearings have cause many serious injuries.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2017, 07:40:13 am »
Would be amusing to use that to make an oscillator for a MCU.  :-DD

Reminds me of the Alexanderson alternator, which is how high frequencies were produced for radio before electronic oscillators were invented.
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 09:42:14 am »
Spinning a bearing with air on your finger can remove it, the bearing will seize solid inner to outer race, and strip your finger to the bone long before it stops. Did see one day on a steel rod, pulled the rod out and it left a hole as it went through the corrugated steel wall. Was only a 6202 bearing as well that was noisy, run up with 10 bar air. We never found it, must still be in the swamp somewhere.

However, you do get gyro bearings that are quite willing to run at 100k RPM in use, but those are generally hand polished in both the races and the balls, so they are as flawless as possible, and run with a dry film lubricant in a sealed container so they do not rust.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 08:08:16 pm »
OK, I reckon that I'm about fifty years too old for this one, I'll sit it out till the next craze comes along.

Me, too.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 03:45:43 pm »
IMHO it's a clever way for some bearing manufacturers to get rid of and profit from otherwise unusable product.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf