Author Topic: A day in a life of an engineer proposal  (Read 5512 times)

Offline rbola35618Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
A day in a life of an engineer proposal
« on: February 08, 2013, 11:01:34 pm »
I visit the EEVblog because I get to know more about equipment, electronics, and from the experience of all the people on the blog. I am also interested in what people do in a day at work. Since we all have cameras, I would like to see what people do in a day at work. What their labs or shop looks like, what project there are working one. The people that work with.

What do you all think?  Are other people have the same interest in seeing what other people do? I suppose that is why we all tune to see Dave L Jone in his lab. I think I and other people would also enjoy that as well.

What do you all think about the idea of grabbing a video camera and posting the videos and photos. Just remember to not show anything that will get you in any hot water. Or if you have a home lab, show us your lab and talk about your lab equipment.

Robert
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 03:45:59 am by rbola35618 »

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: A day in a life of an engineer proposal
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 11:13:06 pm »
I think it would be interesting, but most companies (if not all) will be hard against the idea of employees recording their inner workings, meetings and active projects though-out a work day.

Perhaps someone who works for themselves might be able to do it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:15:23 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:03:51 am »
I think it would be interesting, but most companies (if not all) will be hard against the idea of employees recording their inner workings, meetings and active projects though-out a work day.
Perhaps someone who works for themselves might be able to do it.

Yes, that's why I hardly shot anything to do with my day job at Altium. To get permission to do such stuff is next to impossible.
And also, it's often as boring as bat poo.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:09:18 am »
Thankfully, it's already been done:

Dave.

Offline Stiege

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 12:16:15 am »
I should be able to take a few shots. Won't be as interesting as what some other people get up to though!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:48:02 am »
Many of us have labs. I would be interested in seeing their labs. What stuff they like to work on. I work in power supplies. I an interested in getting into RF. I would love to see someone working on RF stuff. How they test. Are there any unique equipment that you need. Any Safety or precaution that you need to take..

I'll see if I can put some video together on Monday or Tuesday and see how it works out.

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:02:29 am »
This is a great topic! I bet there are a lot of people doing work they think would be boring but many of us would find it really interesting and educational.  :-+

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 08:28:28 am »
We used to sit around at work and discuss how that if we had cameras in every room recording everything, we'd be able to make to greatest Dilbert/Office Space style comedy of all time  ;D

Dave.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 10:14:52 am »
I an interested in getting into RF. I would love to see someone working on RF stuff. How they test. Are there any unique equipment that you need. Any Safety or precaution that you need to take..

Unique equipment for RF?

People have successfully built RF stuff with nothing more than:

* Multimeter
* Calibrated receiver
* RF probe
* RF power meter
(the latter two as add-ons to a multimeter if desired). 

The following are highly desirable, not necessarily expensive and can be built at home:

* Step attenuator
* Dummy load
* RF signal generator
* Frequency counter
* Means of measuring small L and C values

If you're doing precise measurements (as opposed to just tinkering) then you'll need stuff like:

* Oscilliscope
* Spectrum analyser
* Precision frequency reference
* Network analyser
* RF test set

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 11:45:18 am »

I used to work in places I wasn't allowed to have a mobile phone in - much less a camera. (the military are boring like that.)

Neil
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 12:32:42 am »
Here is a quik video that I took of my fellow coworkers working on Spaced Rated High Voltage power supplies. The first is Matt Freemen Research Engineer working on a project called Saber 2. The second is Charlie Nunes, a Senior Research Engineer, who designed and was testing a high voltage power supply called SPICE. Charlie is also my design partner.

Robert

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf