Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 182018 times)

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2015, 02:20:02 pm »

Note : in the following discourse i am not 'talking down' on the kid.i am merely stating pure facts. Kudos to the kid for being a tinkerer , but i am looking at it in an analytical way.

Take a good look at that picture for perspective. Look at the power plug. This is one of those 'cases' that can barely hold a single CD...
Then take a look at the circuit board and the big red display board.

What this kid did is take an old clock radio , strip the housing off and mount it in a cute little metal framed cd storage case...

The kid did not 'make' a clock. In fact the kid doesn't know the difference between a resistor and a cow. go watch his video where he shows a big board with what he describes as "stuff and  well like you know" .. If he had made something with an arduino , then , yes. but in this case he didn't MAKE anything. just transplanted guts.

The media overhype this thing.

- kid transplants guts of a clock radio in cigar case
- moron school officials have no clue what a circuit board looks like. so they punish the kid

if they really thought it was a bomb

1) why did they not evacuate the school ?
2) whey are they all standing in the principals office around the package ?
3) why did they not call in a bomb squad ?

My gut says this kid is seen by the school as a bit of a troublemaker. He is a bit 'off the norm' in the sense he likes to tinker with things. He's probably also a bit socially awkward and may be seen as a bit of a disruptance ( probably can't sit still very long in class, is the one always asking the 'difficult' questions and challenging the teacher etc ). The teachers probably like their routine where they come in , get a cup of coffee, ramble off their pre-printed paper in front of a class of drowsy students that sit still, are quit and don;t ask questions, so they can go home on time.

Teachers were a bit 'grumpy' since he disturbed their routine too much and the clock beeping was the last straw so they decided to teach him a lesson 'the hard way'  and it all got out of hand....

Time for some 'education' of the masses what the guts of a clock radio looks like.

The only teacher with brains in this case was the one that said "i probably wouldn't show this to any other teacher" . he knew what morons the others are.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:22:20 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Falk

• Contributor
« Reply #426 on: September 18, 2015, 02:27:56 pm »
Hello Dave and all others,

even though this story shows the plain paranoia of the USA, Iam afraid that engineers and technology will NOT drag us out of the intellectual dark age. Do smartphones make people smarter? I don't think so.

Regards
Falk

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2015, 02:33:18 pm »

even though this story shows the plain paranoia of the USA, Iam afraid that engineers and technology will NOT drag us out of the intellectual dark age. Do smartphones make people smarter? I don't think so.

Regards
Falk
Smartphones tend to make people dumber....
So does a lot of the modern tech out there.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #428 on: September 18, 2015, 02:34:26 pm »
Great post

Teachers were a bit 'grumpy' since he disturbed their routine too much and the clock beeping was the last straw so they decided to teach him a lesson 'the hard way'  and it all got out of hand....

Just missing the "RULES" that lets the teachers claim they were doing their job and just following the "RULES"

C

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #429 on: September 18, 2015, 02:35:56 pm »
I guess a lot of kids will take their ticking 'not a bomb' project to school now, so that they get to meet Obama at the white house.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #430 on: September 18, 2015, 02:52:54 pm »
Take a good look at that picture for perspective. Look at the power plug. This is one of those 'cases' that can barely hold a single CD...
What this kid did is take an old clock radio , strip the housing off and mount it in a cute little metal framed cd storage case...
The kid did not 'make' a clock. In fact the kid doesn't know the difference between a resistor and a cow. go watch his video where he shows a big board with what he describes as "stuff and  well like you know" .. If he had made something with an arduino , then , yes. but in this case he didn't MAKE anything. just transplanted guts.

That's how many of us started.
It makes no difference if the media made him out to be some super wizz kid when it seems he's just a very beginning hobbyist, it's completely beside the point. Whether it was a professionally designed and etched board and circuit from scratch, or just some transplanted guts because he's a rank beginner, he's an electronics hobbyist with passion, inquisitiveness, and is having a go either way. As such he should have been praised for his inquisitiveness and being proactive. 9 out of the 10 kids in the class aren't even in the same league as Ahmed (half are probably drugged up on Ritalin), as I'm sure many on this forum who were young hobbyist can attest to. We were the weird ones, the ones who had a hobby and a clue what we wanted to do in our lives.

I can remember going to my high school science teacher and asking if they would sponsor me in the ETI (magazine) schools electronics competition. The response was "we have no idea what this is, we've never done anything like that, sorry kid." Yeah, thanks for that, quality teaching for the win ::)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #431 on: September 18, 2015, 02:58:10 pm »
even though this story shows the plain paranoia of the USA, Iam afraid that engineers and technology will NOT drag us out of the intellectual dark age.

The only thing in recorded history that has dragged us up the rung of human progress has been the sciences.
Every successful modern society has gotten there because of science and technology, every single one.
You have a better suggestion?

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #432 on: September 18, 2015, 03:07:37 pm »
The only thing in recorded history that has dragged us up the rung of human progress has been the sciences.
Every successful modern society has gotten there because of science and technology, every single one.

Science can be one of the outcomes of a modern/open-minded/pluralist/free society, not necessarily the cause.

You have the burden of proof.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #433 on: September 18, 2015, 03:12:11 pm »
Using the no gun bit that is to keep you safe.

You make the City management mad.
The City management asks the police to put you in jail.
The police find someone to say "You have a Gun'
Following full legal process, search and find no gun.
Wanting to put you in jail because you made City management mad, the police start looking for any other way to put you in jail.
Guess what, you are in jail.

and other electronic devices should not be brought to school.

That is an open ended cause almost any one a problem rule.

Better not bring to school
 a electronic wrist watch.
 a USB flash drive.

C

As I said before,in most countries,the Police aren't controlled by City authorities,so they can tell "City Management" to "go fly a kite"!

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #434 on: September 18, 2015, 03:15:34 pm »

Regards
Falk

Don't hammer to hard on the US, we're on the same route, just a few years behind  :-\

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #435 on: September 18, 2015, 03:30:17 pm »

Yes, and that is why i wrote 'i am not talking down on the kid, just looking at this analytically'. My discourse is not targeted to the kid : it is targeted to the overhyped media (that are clueless themselves) and the morons running that school.

It makes no difference if the media made him out to be some super wizz kid when it seems he's just a very beginning hobbyist, it's completely beside the point. Whether it was a professionally designed and etched board and circuit from scratch, or just some transplanted guts because he's a rank beginner, he's an electronics hobbyist with passion, inquisitiveness, and is having a go either way. As such he should have been praised for his inquisitiveness and being proactive. 9 out of the 10 kids in the class aren't even in the same league as Ahmed (half are probably drugged up on Ritalin), as I'm sure many on this forum who were young hobbyist can attest to. We were the weird ones, the ones who had a hobby and a clue what we wanted to do in our lives.

exactly. but the media stigmatize the kid and not the school system ( or the ritalin dispensers ). The media overhypes this . Just that photo of the case alone irks me. The unwashed masses will see this as a suitcase bomb. it's not a suitcase. it can't even hold a notebook. Anything to sell a story. blow up a picture , block title 'kid makes suitcase bomb' and the newspaper will sell... they should have shown someone holding that little 'suitcase' to give a sense of scale... it would be obvious to everyone how silly this whole thing really is...

Instead of objectively writing "9 year old puts clock radio in cigar case , school evacuated because they think it's a bomb"  . that would be much closer to the truth and would make the school look stupid. As opposed to make the kid look like a bad guy from make 'suitcase bombs ' and disturbing the 'peace'

I can remember going to my high school science teacher and asking if they would sponsor me in the ETI (magazine) schools electronics competition. The response was "we have no idea what this is, we've never done anything like that, sorry kid." Yeah, thanks for that, quality teaching for the win ::)

yeah .. i understand that  ... i lived it ...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 03:31:50 pm by free_electron »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #436 on: September 18, 2015, 03:38:19 pm »

Science can be one of the outcomes of a modern/open-minded/pluralist/free society, not necessarily the cause.

You have the burden of proof.
I think it is a Chicken or the Egg situation.
Carried to the extreme science can destroy freedom of choice in a society, this country went through its overt Eugenics age sterilizing children that were deemed unfit to breed.

Moderation in all things; that includes both science and religion.
Sue AF6LJ

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #437 on: September 18, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »

That was pretty much the same as I got.

The good news, though, was that a local firm had donated a computer to the school.

Together with a couple of teleprinters, it filled an entire classroom and was programmed with paper tape. It was left to the kids. We did everything, maintaining the computer, the teleprinters, programming down to machine code, soldering, circuit designing, without a single teacher.

It operated during all the breaks during the day, for an hour or two each evening, and even at the weekends. Again, no teachers at all, all the knowledge was passed down from the older kids, and of course at that age we just soaked it up. We were definitely the nerds of the day, although the term had far more negative connotations than it does today.

Finally I got caught in there one day bunking off gym class: I hadn't seen a bat or ball for a couple of years.

I can't imagine that going on now: unattended kids just wouldn't be tolerated.

One year when I was about 13 or 14, I won a book prize, I chose the de facto bible of the time, the TTL Data Book.

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: September 18, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »
Using the no gun bit that is to keep you safe.

You make the City management mad.
The City management asks the police to put you in jail.
The police find someone to say "You have a Gun'
Following full legal process, search and find no gun.
Wanting to put you in jail because you made City management mad, the police start looking for any other way to put you in jail.
Guess what, you are in jail.

and other electronic devices should not be brought to school.

That is an open ended cause almost any one a problem rule.

Better not bring to school
 a electronic wrist watch.
 a USB flash drive.

C

As I said before,in most countries,the Police aren't controlled by City authorities,so they can tell "City Management" to "go fly a kite"!

It does not need to be the "City Management", just someone that can get one or more police to act. One or more act with police covering their own and you have little chance.

C

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #439 on: September 18, 2015, 03:52:05 pm »
Carried to the extreme science can destroy freedom of choice in a society, this country went through its overt Eugenics age sterilizing children that were deemed unfit to breed.

Eugenics was never a science. It wasn't evidence based but purely motivated by mainly theologically based ideology and politics. It been labelled as a science was propaganda on part of it's supporters.

If someone ever comes across a way to actually 'program' people that would be science and engineering in the same way the Manhattan project was. Choosing to use that reprogramming tool for nefarious (or good) reasons or ignoring a surrender so you can get away with dropping those bombs to show off isn't.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Blab Suggestion: Stupid People
« Reply #440 on: September 18, 2015, 03:58:45 pm »

Not all Aussies share your irrational fear of firearms nor are they completely banned in Australia.

Who said I had an irrational fear of firearms? I am not scared of guns. I have fired pistols, rifles, shotguns in Texas. But when I see pawn brokers selling guns and even guns being sold privately at garage sales, and when I visit a friend in Hutto who has is lounge room wall plastered with dozens of guns (no burglar alarm), and when I had a friend get a pistol put to his head to get his wallet at the ATM in Houston, it made me think something is not quite right. According to you, I was just being irrational with such a thought.

I don't think you get it. If you have 22 million guns lurking among 25 million people, there is a higher probability of some ending up in the wrong hands and a higher probability of young children in a primary school getting their heads blown off, compared to a society with far fewer guns. In any case, you have to mitigate risk and to do that you need tough gun laws, enforcing strict laws of containment, and mandatory training, AND that includes reducing the sheer number of firearms.

One of the problems in the US, Wayne LaPierre and his NRA are a very powerful lobby. Take away their guns and you are branded an enemy of freedom and the Second Amendment and you will lose the next election. Similarly, with the super rich lobby, make them pay their fair share of taxes and you are branded a communist and you lose the next election. Hence why these problems have not been fixed.

I question whether this dick head even knows what freedom is... https://www.nranews.com/series/freedoms-safest-place/video/freedoms-safest-place-my-freedom/list/freedoms-safest-place. Freedom is not living in fear of getting shot. I would like to hear the NRA's excuse for this... http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/australian-athlete-shot-bored-oklahoma-teens-felled-single-bullet-autopsy-article-1.1438202
he certianly does know what freedom is, and I would refer you to our Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

On the one hand you say you are not afraid of guns, most of this post shows that you in face are. Furthermore, you wouldn't like it if I was to start running down your culture, even if I had only visited there.

I do agree iwth one thing;
There is a problem with only 22 million guns in Texas, there isn't enough for every person to have a pistol and a long rifle. Every person in this country should be required to pass a gun safety course by the time they reach the eighth grade. So yes from my point of view We have some issues here and I have stated them.

As for freedom, I don't think you understand what freedom is;
Freedom is being able to go about your business and take responsibility for any negative side effects of your actions. Damage to a person's property life or reputation. Freedom also means you are left alone, you don't have the government up your backside playing Nanny, and henpecking you at every turn.

When Seconds Count,
the Police are Minutes Away,
Take Charge of your own safety.

Sue,the problem is,that anybody can buy a gun without any training &  some don't seem to understand the possibilities of accidental injury.

We will never convince you or other people of the same opinion,that guns need to be reduced in number,but the next best thing is what you suggested & I quote:" Every person in this country should be required to pass a gun safety course by the time they reach the eighth grade."

OK,this won't stop loonies from using a gun to kill people for fun,or others in a fit of anger,shooting someone,but if it hopefully instils a profound respect for the capabilities of such weapons,& the necessity of safety procedures in the majority of those trained,it may go a long way towards reducing accidental shootings.

Maybe those people who seem to treat firearms as "toys" might learn enough to cease doing so,though I doubt it.
We have those in Australia,too,though not in the numbers there used to be-----you would see roadsigns full of bulletholes,& the halfwits would shoot across farmers paddocks,not thinking about the farmer's sheep,or even the farmer himself & his family.

Back in the '60s the laws were changed,so that you needed to get the permission of a landowner to shoot on his property---& you could only shoot on the properties that you obtained such permission for.

When I was a kid,rifles & shotguns were  mostly for shooting at things you could eat,& sometimes vermin.
Country people used them for those purposes,& not to shoot at "bad guys".
A few City idiots used them as "toys",as mentioned above.

Even the Cops weren't customarily armed in my State until the 1980s,although the Armoured Car guys who picked up & delivered to the Banks were.

The "freedom" thing-----well we  feel free,we can go anywhere,& pretty much do what we like in Australia,but we
can't have unlicenced guns,drive without a licence, or drive an unlicenced vehicle on the public roads,& a few other things.

The gun licencing issue is the only major drama,& we mostly don't see it as any great infringement on our liberties.

As a Revolutionary Nation,you have certain historical baggage that we as an Evolutionary Nation do not have.
Someone pointed out earlier, some of our "baggage",like the Queen,her birthday,etc.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:27:02 pm by vk6zgo »

Offline LabSpokaneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #441 on: September 18, 2015, 03:59:05 pm »

Yes!  Exactly. Curiosity was how we started. Nobody deserves to have that beaten out of them.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #442 on: September 18, 2015, 04:18:32 pm »

Eugenics was never a science. It wasn't evidence based but purely motivated by mainly theologically based ideology and politics. It been labelled as a science was propaganda on part of it's supporters.

If someone ever comes across a way to actually 'program' people that would be science and engineering in the same way the Manhattan project was. Choosing to use that reprogramming tool for nefarious (or good) reasons or ignoring a surrender so you can get away with dropping those bombs to show off isn't.

The Japanese did not surrender until after the nuclear weapons were used.
There was no "ignoring a surrender"----they had every intention of fighting on,street by street .

Their propaganda machine was so effective that people on Okinawa committed suicide after being told of the horrible things that the Americans would supposedly do to them.

As it happened something horrible was done at Hiroshima & Nagasaki.

The firebombing of Tokyo had more victims.short term ,but Nukes are a "gift that keeps on giving",& many
apparent survivors  later died,or were disabled by the effects of radiation.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #443 on: September 18, 2015, 04:19:28 pm »
A few years back, when my day job involved x-ray equipment for border security, I attended a security seminar where a consultant (ex-US Army) gave a presentation about IEDs and other problems.  Concentrating on Iraq, and showing photos of example devices, he asked "There are no garages here:  why are so many garage-door openers sold?" and similar questions. 
My unspoken reaction was that American teenagers were good at video games, but couldn't improvise any hardware device (good or bad).

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #444 on: September 18, 2015, 04:28:13 pm »
There was no "ignoring a surrender"----they had every intention of fighting on,street by street .

They tried to negotiate a surrender with better terms through the USSR, those attempts were ignored by the Allies.
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline nuno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #445 on: September 18, 2015, 04:36:04 pm »
School and police there need to be educated. We should flood them with homemade clocks :) (schematics included)

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: September 18, 2015, 04:48:51 pm »

They tried to negotiate a surrender with better terms through the USSR, those attempts were ignored by the Allies.

^This.

And the dropping of the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was as much about sending a message to the USSR as it was about forcing an end to the war. The US leadership assumed that it would hold a nuclear monopoly for many years to come, and could use it to keep the "red menace" at bay.  Little did they know about Claus Fuchs and other soviet spies within the Manhattan Project who gave the USSR enough data to be able to build a bomb by 1949.
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #447 on: September 18, 2015, 05:25:26 pm »
Yes!  Exactly. Curiosity was how we started. Nobody deserves to have that beaten out of them.

No need to be dramatic. Nobody beaten anything out of anybody.  Police had a false positive bomb/hoax which was corrected once identified. No system is perfect, including the ones that you design yourself.

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #448 on: September 18, 2015, 05:48:09 pm »
A copper like Gene Hunt would have banged up his teacher for being a stupid sod and wasting his time with all the bloody nonsense.
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline tocsa120ls

• Regular Contributor
  • Electronic hobbyist living in Stuttgart
« Reply #449 on: September 18, 2015, 06:48:23 pm »
Am I too late to the talks? Has anyone taken a closer look at that contraption?

When I first read this, I made a joke "they must have seen that he used an Arduino, now they are taking him in to explain wasting resources". Now that higher-res pictures are out, I am sure we only know part of the story. I have had many digital clocks apart, in my bedroom there is an old russian VFD clock, full of the type of russian TTL chips that were used in my university's teaching labs because the damn things can take 12V, 6V backwards, etc... built like a tank. When I was bored a few years ago, I made a very minimalistic binary clock for my amusement, to see how many components (not counting the leds) I need to use (1) (pic attached)

This "bomb" the kid brought to school looks like a storebougt / Walmart / $29 piece-of-won-hung-low "big display" desk clocks. Look at the ribbon cable connecting the display to the board. Look at the green proctective coating at the board. I am an electronic hobbyist for more than 15 years now, I have yet to get a professionally made PCB > that is soo not tinkerer-grade. Look at the backup battery hookup (9V button connector, so you avoid the "We left Kevin at home!"-situation) look at the cheapest, smallest, yellow-tape insulated transformer. This is a storebought clock that the kid gutted and for some reason glued (badly) into a lunchbox.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:16:39 pm by tocsa120ls »
-------
Short circuit - long fire

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf