Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 181986 times)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: Blab Suggestion: Stupid People
« Reply #325 on: September 17, 2015, 06:37:03 pm »
texas is a very one-way kind of state.  to be truly accepted you MUST be:

white
christian
straight (not lgbt)
religious (a believer)

Ever heard of Houston's mayor, Annise Parker?  She's been RE-elected twice (winning by a significant margin both times) and would be re-elected again, if it were not for term limits.  Her career tends to disprove your hypothesis.
I actually was shocked she got re-elected after some of the stunts she pulled. :)
I was there when Bill White was Mayor.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #326 on: September 17, 2015, 06:40:02 pm »
http://www.fark.com/tags/California
http://www.fark.com/tags/Texas
You also missed reddit and /r/floridaman

florida is yet another hot-topic state, for one reason or another.  its very frequently discussed on fark and I think florida does have its own tag, which is significant.

but its complicated enough with texas (and, for some reason, cali) in this thread.  lets please not add florida to the mix! ;)

...but...but... So many hilarious states and great stereotypes to go with them, at least to an outsider looking in.

As for the young texan laddy. Is he an EEVBlogger? I hope so, at least for the more informative posts  :-+

Offline NoItAint

• Contributor
« Reply #327 on: September 17, 2015, 06:53:10 pm »

Schools today are very good about teaching tolerance and acceptance.   Once in a while something may need some correction.

I don't see anything that shows this was ethnic profiling.
News sensationalized it.  Internet exaggerated it.

My opinion the school gets a chance to deal with it.
The PTA can get involved to discuss it.  The community gets involved with various groups if needed.

The whole incident worked out at the community level and the 14 year old gets to live his life without being constantly reminded that something bad may have happened to him because of his ethnicity which probably didn't happen here anyhow.   :popcorn:

I was pretty impressed with the clock this kid made.  Nice to see some interest in electronics hardware these days. :-+

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #328 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:42 pm »
I feel the most appropriate action would of been, look at the clock, any worries or concerns call mom and dad, not a swat team ( yeah I know )  and handcuffs, then police if still not satisfied. Just my opinion.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #329 on: September 17, 2015, 06:59:35 pm »
http://www.fark.com/tags/California
http://www.fark.com/tags/Texas
You also missed reddit and /r/floridaman

florida is yet another hot-topic state, for one reason or another.  its very frequently discussed on fark and I think florida does have its own tag, which is significant.

but its complicated enough with texas (and, for some reason, cali) in this thread.  lets please not add florida to the mix! ;)
As for the young texan laddy. Is he an EEVBlogger? I hope so, at least for the more informative posts  :-+
Maybe someone in his aria should find out how to get hold of him and tell him about the EEV Blog forum.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2015, 07:01:07 pm »
I have not read all 22 pages, but there was an item about this kid in the news for children these evening on Dutch television.
For those who want to see it:
http://jeugdjournaal.nl/uitzending/avond/2015-09-17
The item starts at 7:25, and has some interesting quote's from Ahmed, and his classmates.

If these quotes are already discussed before, then sorry for reposting. And yes most is in Dutch, but the interviews are still English.

And BTW did the teacher, the school and/or the police actually apologize to this boy?

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »
Maybe someone in his aria should find out how to get hold of him and tell him about the EEV Blog forum.
@Dave: Can I nominate this boy for the next Giveaway? (that is if there will be one of course..)

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #332 on: September 17, 2015, 07:11:53 pm »
@Dave: Can I nominate this boy for the next Giveaway? (that is if there will be one of course..)

I'm in agreement with that too
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #333 on: September 17, 2015, 07:14:20 pm »
All bombs have an LED display counting down. That's how they look in movies so it must be true. :palm:

What I don't get is what exactly did the kid build?  This (to me) is very obviously a standard night-stand clock that's been re-mounted inside another case.  I don't see any electronics work that's been done to it.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #334 on: September 17, 2015, 07:17:30 pm »
 :-+ :-+
:-+ :-+ :-+
+10 YES!!
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #335 on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:06 pm »
This stuff is serious Shi* Have you read the PDR pages for your meds or the package insert?
Yes. With most prescription drugs there's always a list of potential side effects which are often quite serious. It's always weighing up the risks vs the benefits.

Fluoxetine = Prozac . Nasty drug that one, i took it many years back when my baby daughter died at birth and all I wanted to do was hang myself or kill people
Sorry that happened to you. Before they gave me fluoxetine, they tried mirtazapine which was nasty. Different people react differently to different medications. Hopefully one day it will be possible to tell in advance what the best medication for the individual.

It is true that medication is over prescribed which could've been the case for you. However in my case, no amount of therapy or time would've helped. It was a chemical imbalance.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #336 on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:42 pm »
The German news headline made out of it:

"US-Präsident Obama lädt Bombenbastler ins Weiße Haus ein"
http://www.focus.de/digital/videos/ungewoehnliche-geschichte-us-praesident-obama-laedt-bombenbastler-ins-weisse-haus-ein_id_4954045.html

"US President Obama invited bomb tinkerer to the white house"
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #337 on: September 17, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »
All bombs have an LED display counting down. That's how they look in movies so it must be true. :palm:

What I don't get is what exactly did the kid build?  This (to me) is very obviously a standard night-stand clock that's been re-mounted inside another case.  I don't see any electronics work that's been done to it.

I would like to see more of what he has done.  the clock transfer-build (if you can call it that) is what made the news.  but I suspect that this was not his first attempt at anything electronic.  yeah, I'd like to see what he has done in software, hardware, other things technical.  maybe he'll join the forum and we'll have a new famous member ;)

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2015, 07:26:17 pm »
Well I expect Dave will ask about , but in the meantime I sent an email to the writer of the news article in the first post asking them to invite Ahmed to join us here.

Please would you pass this message to Ahmed.

Ahmed the members of the Electronic Engineers Video Blog would like to
extend to you an invitation to join the forum, it is one if not the
biggest most respected blog and forum worldwide.

we can be found here,

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php

Please feel free to post and discuss your inventions with us.

The members of the EEVBlog.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2015, 07:30:53 pm »
many, MANY countries have similar issues when there are polarized, very distinct and opposing views held by groups of people, often separated by some geographical, divisional or historical border.

some countries deal with their internal cultural and idealogical differences better than others.  has any country fully worked out its own internal cultural divide differences?
You mean like half the country speaks a different language than the other half. And they live together without killing each other, they both have equal political power. And like 20% of the capital city doesnt speak any of the three official languages of the country and they get along?
No idea what you talk about.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #340 on: September 17, 2015, 07:33:05 pm »
Oh and  word about Irving, Texas. Last year some group was trying to petition the local government to allow Muslims to have their own Sharia courts to enforce Muslim law but have the outcomes legally enforceable by the government.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/muslims-are-angry-at-texas-mayor-after-she-stops-sharia-court-here-is-her-epic-response/

The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #341 on: September 17, 2015, 07:42:57 pm »

I would like to see more of what he has done.  the clock transfer-build (if you can call it that) is what made the news.  but I suspect that this was not his first attempt at anything electronic.  yeah, I'd like to see what he has done in software, hardware, other things technical.  maybe he'll join the forum and we'll have a new famous member ;)

In the link I posted here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/9th-grader-arrested-in-houston-for-making-a-clock/msg757286/#msg757286
His classmate mentions a few things:
-Build a radio out of cardboard
-Fixed the teacher's projector
-Build a camera out of cardboard
-Fixed a tablet

But whatever his true skills are, he obviously has the spirit to learn electronics. He takes things apart, tries to figure out what's going on, and builds it back together working. Didn't we all start like that?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #342 on: September 17, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »
He needs to be encouraged and have his interest fed.
Sue AF6LJ

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #343 on: September 17, 2015, 08:01:13 pm »
Here's The Ridiculous Texas Law That Allows Law Enforcement To Pretend A Digital Clock Is A Hoax Bomb
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150916/18421332279/how-texas-law-enforcement-can-legally-turn-digital-clock-into-criminal-charges.shtml
Sec. 46.08. HOAX BOMBS.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:

(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or

(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.
Makes sense to me that this is a law.
Any country, I repeat to be clear, any country in the world that has an international airport has these rules. Any official on an airport that has the smallest idea that someone has some device like that, or even a person that makes a joke about it gets arrested these days.

The whole definition is dependent on a) does it look like a (hoax)bomb? A telephone as the lawyer gives as a stupid example does not look like a (hoax)bomb so A) is not applicable so the subsections are not either.
The whole question with the kid is if his device could look like a (hoax) bomb. I saw the picture, it was in a aluminium suitcase, wires loose, large pro pcb (ripped from another device obviously) you tell me, can someone think this might be a (hoax) bomb?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:16:02 pm by Kjelt »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #344 on: September 17, 2015, 08:14:04 pm »
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #345 on: September 17, 2015, 08:16:45 pm »
Kjelt
Nice how you leave out the truth,

The  official's broke their own law

C

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2015, 08:20:12 pm »
Kjelt
Nice how you leave out the truth,

The  official's broke their own law

C
Not only that they denied the child his civil rights.
He had the right to have his parents or a lawyer present while he is being questioned.
And as a minor he cannot concent to anything, that is for his parents.

Sue AF6LJ

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:03 pm »
Oh and  word about Irving, Texas. Last year some group was trying to petition the local government to allow Muslims to have their own Sharia courts to enforce Muslim law but have the outcomes legally enforceable by the government.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/muslims-are-angry-at-texas-mayor-after-she-stops-sharia-court-here-is-her-epic-response/

Bogus story from a well known right wing political hack site.

Unsurprisingly the same Mayor is defending the  police on their arrest of Ahmed.

IMO these kind of bogus stories and stereotype baiting websites (from right or left) just feed the hysteria, fear and hate which is dividing and destroying society. 

Texas has a lot of diversity and unfortunately people like this Mayor only feed into the stereotypes..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:26:11 pm by mtdoc »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2015, 08:23:00 pm »
Not only that they denied the child his civil rights.
He had the right to have his parents or a lawyer present while he is being questioned.
And as a minor he cannot concent to anything, that is for his parents.

How come we're not hearing more about this in the news?  The school admins and involved police should be on suspension, with charges pending.

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »
Guns and Bombs are not the most devastating weapon. It is knowledge. Most governments know if people get this weapon, they are doomed. You ever wonder why dictators restrict knowledge? It's because they know that it can bring their reign to a very quick and abrupt end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:50:03 pm by ccs46 »
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf