Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 181983 times)

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #300 on: September 17, 2015, 04:23:11 pm »
Reading all of this,  I have a question that might stimulate some thought.  Has anyone thought of the Origin of the Principle, The Teacher, The Police Officers?  I can answer this one:  NO!!!  Texas has become a cultural melting pot with many people from many different places in the world.  So is it really fair to judge Texas based on one minor (ridiculous really) event, or even a few?  I hear a lot of banter from the folks out West (R.O.Kali) and I grant you most West of the desert are more liberal in their views, but don't feel it is fair to judge others (Texans) based on the actions of a few. 
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:40 pm »

It is sad but that is the kind of bigot you find out here in California.
In reality many of those people who preach that kind of bigotry are trendies chasing after the next shiny object or the next fad to be a part of.

typical debate style of the right wing.  sigh.... ;(

I guess we can't really discuss this, then, can we?  when you engage in the 'but, but, but, ... KALIFORNIA!  HIPPIES!!!  EW!!!!' then we really can't have an intelligent discussion about this, can we?

all I can say is that I have never encountered the same kinds of attitudes of rejection and far right (religious) views in california that are extremely typical in the deep south.  you can be an athiest here and still be a ceo.  you can be gay and be a ceo.  you don't need to belong to a church in order to move up in the ladder.  and you don't have to be white to move upwards, either.

the south has problems in all those areas.  if you deny it, then I guess we have nothing else to say on the subject.  let the readers do their own research and come to their own conclusions.

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Blab Suggestion: Stupid People
« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2015, 04:29:11 pm »
That is freedom, and taking responsibility for your own safety.
A disarmed population is a population of subjects or slaves take your pick.
It's freedom to be killed by some psycho idiot. Freedom to be in fear for own life.
You speak as if a gun is the only thing that can kill, now I could be wrong but I suspect a screwdriver or even a tooth brush with a broken handle can be used to kill.
Yes, it's not the only thing to kill, but freely giving tool for killing (don't say that the main purpose of the guns is something else) in the hands of idiots and psychos (and there are a lot of such in society) is not a wise decision. There is no other developed country where so many shootings happen in the school or on the streets. Guess why? Where police became so brutal and militarized (with a reason, as many of them get killed too) that without hesitation can kill teenager because he looked on them funny.
I dont know why are people ranting about this. There were 74 children just recently brutally murdered by the local self-appointed authorities, for crimes like they watched football or refused to fast.
Where are the forum posts about that? The outrage? The ranting videos?
Ah right, that wasnt in the USA, or an english speaking country, or Europe, so it really doesnt matter, right?
I dont think I'm the one being paranoid or manipulated by the media.
I'm sorry. Probably I'm not thinking with my brain now.
Say big thanks to US government/NATO who heavily supported rebels in Syria when this mess started just to overthrow Assad at all costs. And for long time denied the existence of terrorists there, turned blind eye despite all of the evidence. We in Europe now feel very well how huge numbers of refugees do like exported Democracy from the US.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:00:50 pm by wraper »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2015, 04:30:11 pm »
I guess you haven't been to Houston or San Antonio ether, both have rather large gay communities.

Yup Flyover attitude infects this one.
Never been outside of Kalifornia

what is the PREVAILING texas attitude toward gay marriage?  be honest.  don't tell me about 'communities'; every state and country has that.  but what is the official view by the politicians (every one of them) and the voter base, as a whole?

if you are honest, you will admit that, culturally, the religious right OWNS texas and they made it their mission to hate gays, no matter what the rest of the country or the laws actually say.

I really think you are being dishonest here and are not willing to admit the facts.
Your view of Texas culture is about fifteen years behind the times.
It's like it is here, people could care less as long as they;

Are not bullied into accepting something they would otherwise tolerate.

Don't have someone's religion or beliefs shoved down their throat of the throats of their children.

Have their freedom of association un-infringed.

By the way;
I live in a community that has a large gay population, I don't have a problem with them.
I will say this and it is the truth; we can go into it off forum if you wish but the most hostile work enviroment was being the only straight woman in a gay owned business.
You want to discuss it off forum we can, but I won't burden the rest of the members of this community with the sticky details.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:12 pm »
It's freedom to be killed by some psycho idiot. Freedom to be in fear for own life.
You speak as if a gun is the only thing that can kill, now I could be wrong but I suspect a screwdriver or even a tooth brush with a broken handle can be used to kill.
Yes, it's not the only thing to kill, but freely giving tool for killing (don't say that the main purpose of the guns is something else) in the hands of idiots and psychos (and there are a lot of such in society) is not a wise decision. There is no other developed country where so many shootings happen in the school or on the streets. Guess why? Where police became so brutal and militarized (with a reason, as many of them get killed too) that without hesitation can kill teenager because he looked on them funny.
I dont know why are people ranting about this. There were 74 children just recently brutally murdered by the local self-appointed authorities, for crimes like they watched football or refused to fast.
Where are the forum posts about that? The outrage? The ranting videos?
Ah right, that wasnt in the USA, or an english speaking country, or Europe, so it really doesnt matter, right?
I dont think I'm the one being paranoid or manipulated by the media.
I'm sorry. Probably I'm not thinking with my brain now.
Say big thanks to your government/NATO who heavily supported rebels in Syria when this mess started just to overthrow Assad at all costs. And for long time denied the existence of terrorists there, turned blind eye despite all of the evidence. We in Europe now feel very well how huge numbers of refugees do like exported Democracy from the US.
I respect your right to your opinion, and I recognize the cultural differences between us.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »
 :-+
Reading all of this,  I have a question that might stimulate some thought.  Has anyone thought of the Origin of the Principle, The Teacher, The Police Officers?  I can answer this one:  NO!!!  Texas has become a cultural melting pot with many people from many different places in the world.  So is it really fair to judge Texas based on one minor (ridiculous really) event, or even a few?  I hear a lot of banter from the folks out West (R.O.Kali) and I grant you most West of the desert are more liberal in their views, but don't feel it is fair to judge others (Texans) based on the actions of a few.
:-+ :-+ :-+
+10
Sue AF6LJ

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2015, 04:40:32 pm »
like it or not, texas has a rep.

its been there a LONG time and none of us, here, are making shit up.

stop denying it.  this is typical texas attitude.

you can't fix it until you admit you have a problem.  and texas has 'issues'.  lets talk about it and stop denying it.

Wow.

Texas is a massive place with an enormous number of people from every corner of the earth. You are the one that creates this "rep" you write about even though you clearly do not know every person in Texas. You know of the people that make the news which are always the on the fringes of society. This is true anywhere in the world - the weird and crazy make the headlines. In the case of Texas - there are 27 million people which ensures there will be an enormous variety.

Again, those who generalize the way you are is dangerous to the positive progress of society.

It's the 'flyover state' mentality. If you don't live on a coastline, in a major metropolitan area, you are bigoted and racist.  Generally, the next statement is that only the people living in these coastal areas are enlightened enough to enact policies and formulate laws.

m
In reality many of those people who preach that kind of bigotry are trendies chasing after the next shiny object or the next fad to be a part of.

It's called 'hash-tag activism' and is often very shallow, bigotry and temporal.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2015, 04:59:25 pm »
I think it was sarcasm.
I hope.

Sometimes it is hard to tell.
No, I mean I was hoping that what you wrote was sarcasm. Clearly not.
It is sad, when people think that guns -and the violence they bring- is part of the solution, not the problem.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2015, 05:05:02 pm »
I think it was sarcasm.
I hope.

Sometimes it is hard to tell.
No, I mean I was hoping that what you wrote was sarcasm. Clearly not.
It is sad, when people think that guns -and the violence they bring- is part of the solution, not the problem.
It is the solution sometimes when self defense becomes a necessity.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2015, 05:06:14 pm »
like it or not, texas has a rep.

its been there a LONG time and none of us, here, are making shit up.

stop denying it.  this is typical texas attitude.

you can't fix it until you admit you have a problem.  and texas has 'issues'.  lets talk about it and stop denying it.

Wow.

Texas is a massive place with an enormous number of people from every corner of the earth. You are the one that creates this "rep" you write about even though you clearly do not know every person in Texas. You know of the people that make the news which are always the on the fringes of society. This is true anywhere in the world - the weird and crazy make the headlines. In the case of Texas - there are 27 million people which ensures there will be an enormous variety.

Again, those who generalize the way you are is dangerous to the positive progress of society.

It's the 'flyover state' mentality. If you don't live on a coastline, in a major metropolitan area, you are bigoted and racist.  Generally, the next statement is that only the people living in these coastal areas are enlightened enough to enact policies and formulate laws.

m

It's called 'hash-tag activism' and is often very shallow, bigotry and temporal.
:-+ :-+
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2015, 05:12:26 pm »
up the confederacy, vote Robert E Lee for president  :palm:  |O
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #311 on: September 17, 2015, 05:34:16 pm »
You should also look into how many of those shooters were on SSRI type Antidepressants. Being a survivor of a person who had a psychotic break and went into a homicidal rage while on Prozac I find it interesting that nearly every one of those shooters were on some SSRI.   http://www.drugawareness.org/
Oh no antidepressants are evil!  ::)

Has it ever occurred to you why people are prescribed antidepressants in the first place? Could it be because they have a mental illness which very often increases the risk of them acting in an irrational manner?

It's more likely antidepressants have actually prevented violence and suicide.

I'd say fluoxetine saved my life or at least helped me recover. If anything, it calmed me down and made me feel less violent.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #312 on: September 17, 2015, 05:43:59 pm »
Reading the last few "american" pages,  i really wonder when your next civilian internal war will start.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #313 on: September 17, 2015, 05:48:48 pm »
You should also look into how many of those shooters were on SSRI type Antidepressants. Being a survivor of a person who had a psychotic break and went into a homicidal rage while on Prozac I find it interesting that nearly every one of those shooters were on some SSRI.   http://www.drugawareness.org/

Has it ever occurred to you why people are prescribed antidepressants in the first place? Could it be because they have a mental illness which very often increases the risk of them acting in an irrational manner?

I'd say fluoxetine saved my life or at least helped me recover. If anything, it calmed me down and made me feel less violent.
All too often those on those drugs are not monitored carefully enough, they have helped my current roommate, but she is seen on a regular basis by someone who is properly trained and she is self educated in what to look for, plus she has me to monitor her moods and behavior.
This stuff is serious Shi* Have you read the PDR pages for your meds or the package insert?
Sadly most people don't...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #314 on: September 17, 2015, 05:51:49 pm »
many, MANY countries have similar issues when there are polarized, very distinct and opposing views held by groups of people, often separated by some geographical, divisional or historical border.

some countries deal with their internal cultural and idealogical differences better than others.  has any country fully worked out its own internal cultural divide differences?

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #315 on: September 17, 2015, 06:05:56 pm »
many, MANY countries have similar issues when there are polarized, very distinct and opposing views held by groups of people, often separated by some geographical, divisional or historical border.

some countries deal with their internal cultural and idealogical differences better than others.  has any country fully worked out its own internal cultural divide differences?

I don't know of any, but we do a reasonably good job when pressure groups, or a so called activist doesn't stir the pot and make things worse.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #316 on: September 17, 2015, 06:06:26 pm »

All too often those on those drugs are not monitored carefully enough, they have helped my current roommate, but she is seen on a regular basis by someone who is properly trained and she is self educated in what to look for, plus she has me to monitor her moods and behavior.
This stuff is serious Shi* Have you read the PDR pages for your meds or the package insert?
Sadly most people don't...

Fluoxetine = Prozac . Nasty drug that one, i took it many years back when my baby daughter died at birth and all I wanted to do was hang myself or kill people
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2015, 06:10:38 pm »
I know one person will not like these links, but read for yourself and make your own conclusions.

I continue to use sites like fark.com as good indicators on how varied the viewpoints can be, on some topics. when a forum is international and has a huge user base, you will have the full spectrum of opinions (as long as the site allows it).

so, I find it interesting to visit such sites and see where the comments come from, which articles get discussed, how they are approached and handled, where the threads lead, what people have to say.

here are some tagged articles that are texas-tagged and some that are california-tagged.  see the subjects, the articles are linked, and the fark userbase discussion is to the far right (the numbered link).  look over a period of time and see if you find anything that stands out at you.  do you see any trends or subjects that tend to rise again and again, from that region?

do your own research.  here are the two easy links:

http://www.fark.com/tags/California
http://www.fark.com/tags/Texas

(for the record, I don't have an account on fark, I don't write for them, etc.  I simply read that site and watch where the various threads and subjects go and I find it fascinating to read all the different sides of each of the current topics of the day.)

fwiw-

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »
I don't see anything there that relates to what we are discussing.
Just a bunch of unrelated headlines, some of them rather childish.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #319 on: September 17, 2015, 06:24:49 pm »
if that's your conclusion, then I see you have done only the surface level amount of reading and research on this subject.

dig deeper.  it may take some time, but if you look across even just a 1 year period, you start to see trends and subjects that come up time and time again.

if your filter will allow you to see the spectrum of what is reported about your state, you may see sides that you didn't see, before.  maybe not all of them are pleasant, so I 'get' that it can be a difficult read.

I will address this comment of yours, specifically:

Just a bunch of unrelated headlines, some of them rather childish.

yes, its quite true; there is a high noise content on a site like that.  I think most of the user base is, well, very very young and that becomes apparent after you start to read and get a feel for how the site works.

that said, there are also some pretty smart people from all the regions and those are the gems.  those are the insightful and very telling comments that I'm talking about.  it takes a bit of work and reading to sort it out, but anyone can, if they spend a little time getting to know the styles and what makes for trolls, noise, flames or sincere opinion.

its all there.  and that's part of what makes it useful.  its YOU who do the filtering, when you read.  the filter is not on the 'send' side, so you get the full raw feed, pretty much.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:29:06 pm by linux-works »

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #320 on: September 17, 2015, 06:27:44 pm »
Here's The Ridiculous Texas Law That Allows Law Enforcement To Pretend A Digital Clock Is A Hoax Bomb
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150916/18421332279/how-texas-law-enforcement-can-legally-turn-digital-clock-into-criminal-charges.shtml

Sec. 46.08. HOAX BOMBS.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person knowingly manufactures, sells, purchases, transports, or possesses a hoax bomb with intent to use the hoax bomb to:

(1) make another believe that the hoax bomb is an explosive or incendiary device; or

(2) cause alarm or reaction of any type by an official of a public safety agency or volunteer agency organized to deal with emergencies.

So a lot of people should be arrested.

Mohamed didn't pretend the clock was a bomb
The school administration
The police, should arrest the police because of #2
They scarred themselves

C.

Offline JazzHarper

• Contributor
« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2015, 06:34:08 pm »
texas is a very one-way kind of state.  to be truly accepted you MUST be:

white
christian
straight (not lgbt)
religious (a believer)

Ever heard of Houston's mayor, Annise Parker?  She's been RE-elected twice (winning by a significant margin both times) and would be re-elected again, if it were not for term limits.  Her career tends to disprove your hypothesis.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2015, 06:36:03 pm »
if that's your conclusion, then I see you have done only the surface level amount of reading and research on this subject.

dig deeper.  it may take some time, but if you look across even just a 1 year period, you start to see trends and subjects that come up time and time again.

if your filter will allow you to see the spectrum of what is reported about your state, you may see sides that you didn't see, before.  maybe not all of them are pleasant, so I 'get' that it can be a difficult read.
I see what you are getting at.
That is only going to be as good as the people who post articles there. There are better news aggregators, some of which you have to pay for.

We all tend to gravitate toward news sources that reflect our outlook on life, some are more or less honest about it than others.

And before anybody sais "Well you must be one of those Fox news junkies" No the last time I even watched television news was a couple of weeks ago when the stock market was having issues. I get my news from a few sources for state news and everything else comes from alternative media sources.
I found about this story here of all places, then went to my usual sources for their take, then off to KTRH.com.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #324 on: September 17, 2015, 06:36:26 pm »
http://www.fark.com/tags/California
http://www.fark.com/tags/Texas
You also missed reddit and /r/floridaman

florida is yet another hot-topic state, for one reason or another.  its very frequently discussed on fark and I think florida does have its own tag, which is significant.

but its complicated enough with texas (and, for some reason, cali) in this thread.  lets please not add florida to the mix! ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf