Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 181953 times)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2015, 11:14:28 pm »
Anyone here ever play with a cap gun?
My brother had one and he would let me play with it as long as I bought both of us a box of caps.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline LabSpokaneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2015, 11:29:07 pm »
This kind of crap went out of fashion with Nazi Germany, and it should damned well should stay that way.

Wow!  A kid brought to school a strange looking apparatus that was mistaken for a fake bomb and now we are in Nazi territory. 

The magic of social media.

And a white kid wouldn't have been looked at twice. Just admit it. It was about the child, not the device.

And the parallels between the current trend of anti-Hispanic and anti-Muslim political propaganda and anti-Semitism are clear and abundant. 

It's not right. This is not America's promise. This is not equal treatment under the law.

Admit racism in this case based on what?

Kids get arrested in school for various reasons.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/19-crazy-things-that-school-children-are-being-arrested-for-in-america

Having a Muslim name should not grant one immunity against fake bomb suspicion.

Deciding that a Muslim kid's clock project must be a bomb and nothing else, because "well, you know Muslim boys only live to make bombs" is the essence racism. 

And the "so what, so a kid got arrested" attitude is disturbing. This child is not some hard-boiled gang-banger.  Getting arrested at that young age has to be a traumatic experience. Cuffing that kid child and parading him like that through the school was totally unnecessary and only done so the adults present could have their little drama in bagging this supposed terrorist.   Ahmed may feel better about it for a little while with the positive attention, but it will haunt him forever.

Talking with Ahmed and his parents was the correct course of action.  Discourse leads to understanding.  When we understand one another, we are less inclined to simply marginalize one another, and to live in fear of one another. 

Offline cimmo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2015, 11:37:32 pm »
I don't know what that teacher(s) was thinking but they perceived it as not normal and possibly dangerous.
Those teachers were NOT thinking - they were being brain dead automatons, responding purely to fear. Fear of the unknown (due to their ignorance) and possibly due to fear of reprisals by the school administration for not following some one size fits all zero tolerance policy (this is a perfect example of what is wrong with zero tolerance policies.)

The whole point is: don't bring that stuff to school when no-one expects it. If there is a science fair or you asked you're teacher ok. To show off something unexpected, not ok.
And you know this for a fact, do you? Can you show me a written school policy for the school in question?
Are you certain that Ahmed knew this as well as you do?
Noise filter is set to ignore: Zapta, dunkemhigh, dannyf

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2015, 11:59:16 pm »
This kind of crap went out of fashion with Nazi Germany, and it should damned well should stay that way.

Wow!  A kid brought to school a strange looking apparatus that was mistaken for a fake bomb and now we are in Nazi territory. 

And a white kid wouldn't have been looked at twice. Just admit it. It was about the child, not the device.

And the parallels between the current trend of anti-Hispanic and anti-Muslim political propaganda and anti-Semitism are clear and abundant. 

It's not right. This is not America's promise. This is not equal treatment under the law.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/19-crazy-things-that-school-children-are-being-arrested-for-in-america

Deciding that a Muslim kid's clock project must be a bomb and nothing else, because "well, you know Muslim boys only live to make bombs" is the essence racism. 

You are making things up. 

Offline beaker353

• Supporter
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2015, 12:14:21 am »
As someone who teaches at a "high potential target" public high school in the US, in my opinion, this school administration failed at epic levels to address this correctly. If they really thought this might have been a dangerous device, their very first reaction should have been to protect the students and staff by evacuating the school immediately and let properly trained law enforcement personnel decide if this was a dangerous device or not. Since admin did not evacuate, one has to assume school administration didn't feel the device could of been dangerous. Using that logic, there was nothing the student did that even remotely warranted physical restraint. Complete disregard for set procedures that I'm sure are spelled out very clearly to each and every school employee. The school administration and the school district are going to be forced to waste precious tax dollars with lawsuits that would have much better been spent on providing education opportunities for students like Ahmed. And they wonder why we have a problem here in the US getting minority students to peruse advanced STEM courses...

-EM

Offline LabSpokaneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2015, 01:08:44 am »

You are making things up.

I am summarizing the situation based up the actions of the school and police. That is far better than your choice to brush off blatant persecution of a child for the high crime of "tinkering while Muslim."

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2015, 01:27:46 am »
That is far better than your choice to brush off blatant persecution of a child for the high crime of "tinkering while Muslim."

You are making up things again.

With all the respect, try to separate between the known facts and your subjective assessment.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2015, 01:59:08 am »
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/16/9341651/ahmed-mohamed-gop-debate/in/9102140

"On Wednesday, at the first round of the Republican presidential debate, the candidates were asked about Ahmed Mohamed, whose arrest had provoked a national backlash, both against the school that arrested him and against the broader trend of Islamophobia run amok.

It did not go well. The candidates were clearly uncomfortable with the subject of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim bigotry and worked very hard to avoid it. Of the three candidates who answered, none could bring themselves even to say the boy's name, Ahmed Mohamed. All three attempted to shift the conversation to Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses."

Offline septer012

• Regular Contributor
    • http://www.danielbjohnson.net
Re: Blab Suggestion: Stupid People
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2015, 02:01:44 am »
There may or may not be a actual picture of the clock here but looks okay to me.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34266389

That story is nothing more than click bait. 

what makes you so certain?

We have only one side of the story and that side is carefully crafted to instill outrage in people who don't care about the truth.
I would guess almost all news stories not pertaining to natural disasters are the same.  That does not make it uninteresting, nor you should discount compassion for the kid if he is indeed innocent.
Daniel

Offline Daniel_Reyes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2015, 02:06:51 am »
http://www.vox.com/2015/9/16/9341651/ahmed-mohamed-gop-debate/in/9102140

"On Wednesday, at the first round of the Republican presidential debate, the candidates were asked about Ahmed Mohamed, whose arrest had provoked a national backlash, both against the school that arrested him and against the broader trend of Islamophobia run amok.

It did not go well. The candidates were clearly uncomfortable with the subject of Islamophobia and anti-Muslim bigotry and worked very hard to avoid it. Of the three candidates who answered, none could bring themselves even to say the boy's name, Ahmed Mohamed. All three attempted to shift the conversation to Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who refused to issue same-sex marriage licenses."
Sad that our future leaders will not lead without consulting their public affairs people.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2015, 02:09:54 am »
the unasked question: WWJB (what would jesus build?)

probably would have avoided using any wood on the case, I would think.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2015, 02:14:45 am »

You think a carpenter would avoid wood? So, do you think he really hated his day job? ;)

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2015, 02:15:46 am »
didn't end so well, though, did it?

if it was me, I'd never want to see a piece of wood again for as long as I lived.

(oh, wait....)

Offline N2IXK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2015, 02:16:35 am »

He was supposedly a carpenter, wasn't he?  Go with your strengths...

Probably would have made a really nice wooden case like those vintage Weston meters and whatnot.... :-//
"My favorite programming language is...SOLDER!"--Robert A. Pease

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2015, 02:20:02 am »

He was supposedly a carpenter, wasn't he?  Go with your strengths...

it was good for a while, but lack of trade unions, no 401k, no comp-time and no retirement plan made the job less attractive as time went on.  eventually, it was outsourced to the samarians, and after that, it was all just a race to the bottom.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2015, 02:25:52 am »
Welcome to the United Police States of the New World Order.
Your PAPERS PLEASE.

Great game ;)

Offline mos6502

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2015, 02:29:38 am »
So, has anyone bought one of these from DX?

for(;;);

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2015, 02:32:10 am »
On Wednesday, at the first round of the Republican presidential debate, the candidates were asked about Ahmed Mohamed, whose arrest had provoked a national backlash, both against the school that arrested him and against the broader trend of Islamophobia run amok.

This is a made up 'Islamophobic' issue to advance a certain political agenda. Like that "Hands up, don't shoot" claim that was debunked.

Stay with the facts.

Offline C

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2015, 02:33:11 am »
this school administration failed at epic levels to address this correctly.
Think you left out a big part, The school administration also failed in dealing with the police.
The school is responsible for their students.
The police when called had only one job, IS it a bomb?
The police only have three choices yes, i don't know or no.
For the first two you have remove It or remove the people.
For no the police are done.
It a very poor school when the school administration has to resort to having the police handcuff a kid.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2015, 02:40:32 am »
I wish it was made up.  if you follow enough texas and deep south area news, you see a very hard to deny trend.  extreme bias toward just one religion and fairly strong biases against all others, especially islam.

after 9/11, there have been many mosques that have been planned to be built in the US and yet there is much resistance to it by lots of groups.  its all across the US, of course.  when was the last time a group objected to the planned construction of a church or synagogue in the US?

you have off-the-wall christians being afraid of sharia law being enacted in the US (I'm not kidding and I'm not making this up!) and those same christians feel its perfectly ok to push their religion on everyone else in the US.

you know, if there was no religion, perhaps all these problems would be non-existent.  but we can't suggest that, as people are way too attached to their religion and will fight to the death to defend 'the honor' of some imaginary sky daddy of theirs.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: September 17, 2015, 02:48:02 am »
I wish it was made up.  if you follow enough texas and deep south area news, you see a very hard to deny trend.  extreme bias toward just one religion and fairly strong biases against all others, especially islam.

after 9/11, there have been many mosques that have been planned to be built in the US and yet there is much resistance to it by lots of groups.  its all across the US, of course.  when was the last time a group objected to the planned construction of a church or synagogue in the US?

you have off-the-wall christians being afraid of sharia law being enacted in the US (I'm not kidding and I'm not making this up!) and those same christians feel its perfectly ok to push their religion on everyone else in the US.

you know, if there was no religion, perhaps all these problems would be non-existent.  but we can't suggest that, as people are way too attached to their religion and will fight to the death to defend 'the honor' of some imaginary sky daddy of theirs.

You claim that this case has a strong racist component but I am yet to see the evidence.

As for the question whether some religions are more dangerous than others in our times, this deserved a thread of its own.

Offline beaker353

• Supporter
« Reply #196 on: September 17, 2015, 02:53:09 am »
this school administration failed at epic levels to address this correctly.
Think you left out a big part, The school administration also failed in dealing with the police.
The school is responsible for their students.
The police when called had only one job, IS it a bomb?
The police only have three choices yes, i don't know or no.
For the first two you have remove It or remove the people.
For no the police are done.
It a very poor school when the school administration has to resort to having the police handcuff a kid.

Each school district has different levels and roles police play in such incidents. Not knowing what the arrangement is there, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I completely agree that admin likely didn't involve the police correctly from the standpoint of either the letter or the intent of procedures put in place. This is likely to get ugly and there isn't a way I can see for the school and school district to emerge not looking incompetent.

-EM

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2015, 02:55:42 am »
to be precise, its not racism.  its about cultural differences and being afraid of those who are not exactly like you.  the more different you are, the scarier you are to some people.

do you deny there exists such a thing in the US called the 'bible belt'?  do you think this is a made-up concept?  I assure you, its quite quite real.  and it does go pretty far in explaining a lot of what goes on, down there.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2015, 03:07:18 am »
On Wednesday, at the first round of the Republican presidential debate, the candidates were asked about Ahmed Mohamed, whose arrest had provoked a national backlash, both against the school that arrested him and against the broader trend of Islamophobia run amok.

This is a made up 'Islamophobic' issue to advance a certain political agenda. Like that "Hands up, don't shoot" claim that was debunked.

Stay with the facts.
Just like black lives matter, after all All Lives Matter.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: September 17, 2015, 03:28:53 am »
to be precise, its not racism.  its about cultural differences and being afraid of those who are not exactly like you.  the more different you are, the scarier you are to some people.

do you deny there exists such a thing in the US called the 'bible belt'?  do you think this is a made-up concept?  I assure you, its quite quite real.  and it does go pretty far in explaining a lot of what goes on, down there.

You didn't show that racism was a major factor this incident, like that "hands up don't shoot" claim that was debunked. Kids are arrested in school for many stupid reasons (see the link I posted eariler). This is a result of the 'zero tolerance' policy that many school districts have.

Don't assume that the cultural and ideological bubble in which both of us live represents some objective true. It can be very dogmatic, judgmental and bigoted toward competing bubbles.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf