Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 181939 times)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #600 on: September 21, 2015, 07:32:18 pm »
Actually this amazing invention, which should have been seen by teachers as a work of genius by a promising young engineer looks to have been hard work...

:-DD

Someone please buy that poor boy a hammer, and teach him what he needs to use such a high tech tool.
This young man could be the next president. of the United States.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #601 on: September 21, 2015, 07:39:15 pm »
Actually this amazing invention, which should have been seen by teachers as a work of genius by a promising young engineer looks to have been hard work...

:-DD

Funny video, just wished he plugged it in.   Just one question - the alarm is said to have gone off in a class (not the science class).  Since this is an AC clock with a 9 v battery - would a  9 v battery power the alarm?  I thought the battery was just used for memory?

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #602 on: September 21, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »
I thought the battery was just used for memory?

All of the clocks I've ever had this was the case, no alarm.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #603 on: September 21, 2015, 07:56:14 pm »
Well he could have sat by a power outlet in order to plug it in and accidentally set off the alarm during another lesson with a more gullible teacher. Or perhaps he just let his mobile ring tone go off and then feign innocence while clinging to his bag.

Like I said - there is no reason a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD, not a FOUR YEAR OLD would bring this in to a zero tolerance school unless he was up to mischief. I certainly got up to some mischief at that age.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #604 on: September 21, 2015, 08:05:39 pm »
I don't think we have enough details to determine if it was intentional or not.
I agree but whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Given that it doesn't appear to be a very good imitation bomb, I'd say it's unlikely it's deliberate. If his dad was really involved then one would've thought he would have done a better job at making something resembling a bomb.

Of course this is pure speculation but it doesn't change the fact that the zero tolerance policy is retarded.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #605 on: September 21, 2015, 08:13:37 pm »
Of course this is pure speculation but it doesn't change the fact that the zero tolerance policy is retarded.
Absolutely. I didn't even think that there was a race/religion issue involved whatsoever and just figure this is the latest of MANY ridiculous zero tolerance policies.

However I do speculate that the kid did deliberately show the system up, and I can't condemn him for that. I don't think he had anything to lose as his dad has him ready for an, ahem, proper education elsewhere, abroad maybe.

The zero tolerance nonsense needs to end. Hopefully that will be a positive outcome from this even if the SJW brigade, media, and his dad and CAIR are turning it into an islamophobia shit storm.

Richard Dawkins is getting a hell of a lot of flack on twitter from the SJW's right now!  :-DD :popcorn:

Offline economist

• Contributor
« Reply #606 on: September 21, 2015, 08:14:39 pm »
The ex-post arguments do nothing to undermine the original issue: kid brings in harmless electronics "project" and gets arrested. What sort of school operates like that? The answer, unfortunately, depends heavily on fear. In America today, fear is way out proportion and the basis for all manner of government excess and abuse. Privacy is routinely invaded. Security theater is widespread. Any voice for privacy and liberty gets shouted down by a bureaucracy that promotes and enjoys a fearful populace.

At the same time, there is no point is avoiding recognition of the obvious: that there are very evil people out there with extreme religious views that mean innocent people harm. Here and now, those people generally have some form of muslim faith. So maybe the father is a kook, maybe the kid did nothing special or intelligent, and maybe the backlash against the idiocy of the school is excessive (white house visit, etc.). But that's politics and marketing per the usual course. Life isn't fair or reasonable. No surprises here.

All of this could have been avoided had a single intelligent person looked at the thing, noted it was just a torn down clock, and decided to do nothing. But that didn't happen.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #607 on: September 21, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »
All of this could have been avoided had a single intelligent person looked at the thing, noted it was just a torn down clock, and decided to do nothing. But that didn't happen.
Actually it did - the first teacher he showed it to told him to put it away and not to show it to anyone else for obvious reasons. So what does laddie go and do? find a more gullible teacher. Someone from the arts instead of the sciences.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #608 on: September 21, 2015, 08:32:33 pm »
Actually it did - the first teacher he showed it to told him to put it away and not to show it to anyone else for obvious reasons. So what does laddie go and do? find a more gullible teacher. Someone from the arts instead of the sciences.
The first teacher he showed it to, should have confiscated it and told his parents they could come and collect it later.

This kind of disobedience is perfectly normal for teenagers and shouldn't result in an arrest. It does not change the fact that there was no bomb, no bomb threat and no need to arrest him.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #609 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:41 pm »
News flash:  IMO = In my opinion. ::)

Yes, in your opinion, including the "clearly apparent to most objective observers." claim.

Also noted that you dodged my question.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #610 on: September 21, 2015, 09:31:35 pm »
It truly amazing to watch the extent to which the haters and islamophobes go to put a different spin on this story.
What do they say? That the kid's father is a religious activist?
That he was running for president in his ex-country?

Yeah, those are just facts that can be googled.
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
Re: Video shows how to reproduce child genius Ahmed Mohamed's Invention
« Reply #611 on: September 21, 2015, 09:49:59 pm »
Should be titled "Video shows how to reproduce racist bigotry."

:palm:

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #612 on: September 21, 2015, 09:58:31 pm »

You've asked no legitimate question of me - just repeatedly tried to create personal conflict.

Give it a rest Zapta.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #613 on: September 21, 2015, 10:05:39 pm »
What do they say? That the kid's father is a religious activist?

It seems that pretty much anybody with religion can be described as as a "religious activist". After all, what makes a successful one is for the ability of the followers to spread the word...

They all have youth indoctrination schemes (a.k.a Sunday school, boys brigade, after school programs), praying on those in need (a.k.a. city missions, soup kitchens, orphanages), condone the intimidation of others in a public place (a.k.a. street preaching). members are actively involved in financially supporting the organisation (attend church fairs).

Most even have regular meetings to reinforce their beliefs and hopefully inspire it in others, and get upset if somebody gets overly friendly with those from outside of their faith. They even force their faith on their children - think of the children!

and to top if off (OMG!) some of them even call themselves an army, with uniforms, ranks and everything... What if he was Christian and a member of "The Salvation Army"?

As far as I can tell holding religious ideas and beliefs are not illegal in Texas - but it is the breaking of laws that is. His Dad can think whatever he wants as long as his deeds are lawful.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:13:46 pm by hamster_nz »
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #614 on: September 21, 2015, 10:08:05 pm »
Speaking of facts.... the headline to this thread says, "Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock."

But he was not arrested in Houston at all, he was arrested in Irving TX.  Just so you  know.... Irving TX is about 251 miles (404 km) from Houston TX. And London, England, is only about 214 miles (345 km) from Paris, France.

But... had he actually been in Houston, they would have arrested him there too, probably.

:-\
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #615 on: September 21, 2015, 10:11:59 pm »
And for that "invention" the kid gets invited to the White House, a scholarship to MIT and a Nobel Prize.    :-DD

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #616 on: September 21, 2015, 10:22:14 pm »
Speaking of facts.... the headline to this thread says, "Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock."

But he was not arrested in Houston at all, he was arrested in Irving TX.  Just so you  know.... Irving TX is about 251 miles (404 km) from Houston TX. And London, England, is only about 214 miles (345 km) from Paris, France.

But... had he actually been in Houston, they would have arrested him there too, probably.

:-\

Indeed, "making ... a clock." is also wrong... destroying a clock is more like what he did.

Maybe him and his dad didn't use a rock, it would have been easier with screwdriver after all...

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #617 on: September 21, 2015, 10:22:31 pm »
And for that "invention" the kid gets invited to the White House, a scholarship to MIT and a Nobel Prize.    :-DD

Maybe they can re-issue President Obama's prize since they are now admitting they didn't make the best decision that year.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #618 on: September 21, 2015, 10:30:37 pm »
This kid wins troll of the year award, whether by his own choice or outside influence (cough, activists)
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #619 on: September 21, 2015, 10:33:00 pm »
Truthfully I think this will be a millstone around this kid's neck for the rest of his life and we have his father to thyank for it.

You know what they say about Karma....
Sue AF6LJ

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #620 on: September 21, 2015, 10:45:27 pm »

You've asked no legitimate question of me - just repeatedly tried to create personal conflict.

Give it a rest Zapta.

Incorrect, it's you that engaged in name calling, no me.

My question is very specific:

"Do you also call out those that without proof blame the school and police with racism in this case?"

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #622 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:03 pm »

...the people who have it coming to them can't see it coming?

How could you be so mean spirited as to wish this to become a millstone for the boy. Whatever has this boy done to you? Would you wish this on your child, so why wish it on somebody else's kid?

What if your child took a home-grown copper sulphate crystal to class for show and tell, and then got accused of bringing drug-making equipment to school, and is from then on forever known as "that meth kid".

Why so mean?
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #623 on: September 21, 2015, 10:51:37 pm »

my dogma got run over by a karma, once.

does that count?

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #624 on: September 21, 2015, 10:52:07 pm »
Should be titled "Video shows how to reproduce racist bigotry."
How on earth is that video racist? Did you actually bother to watch it? All it shows is someone smashing up a clock and putting the guts in a case!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf