Author Topic: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.  (Read 181965 times)

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 9th Grader Arrested in Houston for making ... a clock.
« Reply #275 on: September 17, 2015, 02:23:38 pm »
what puzzle me is that such sad thing happened in US, where most invention still  happen and people are quite familiar with electronics and nerdy looking hobbyist ... how ignorant the teacher and school stuff are to think that any thing with counter are bombs. in a country with gun shooting at schools happen so often , i don't think clocks that " may " look like a bomb are the biggest threat that should worry about.
And of curse, in such subject people speaking rationally and being objective about the matter in hand are rare. and it's sad but true that many engineers while being totally awesome when it come to work they can be totally jerks when it come to ethical or religious debate. i can't see why ppl are talking about white, black, Muslim , atheist, where they should be talking about how to get rid of this xenophobia in such mixed society.
Now this kid may get a chance with ppl helping him to move forward and keep practising his hobby, other will not and they will keep there creation, innovation whatever to them self by fear. This is so discouraging for future generation, and it remind me that where are live, we have to get special authorisation to import any RF equipment such Bluetooth module. Once police locked up some real terrorist and then showing in TV their advanced electronic equipment with what they are planing to ruin the country ... an arduino shield and 4x4 membrane keypad they were that ridiculous. now i get nervous every time i have boards with me, i god know how hard to explain to some ignorant cop or customs what an STM32 eval board is ... and that's why in my country no one build shit.

Offline LabSpokaneTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2015, 02:24:42 pm »

If that's not too dumb a suggestion then you could maybe show the creation of a PCB with KiCad.

OshPark has already sent him a gift certificate along with the offer of tutorials to get him started.   :-+

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2015, 02:28:11 pm »
Notice how the reporter tried to get the kid to reveal which school he was transferring to, several times. :--
None of your bloody business!
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline hamdi.tn

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Blab Suggestion: Stupid People
« Reply #279 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:02 pm »
You dont point at people who cried wolf, you dont ridicule them, you dont laugh at them.
Because the next time someone gets killed by a brainwashed teenager, and it happened because no-one suspected anything, or their suspicions were dismissed.

Right, so live in a society of constant "just in case" fear instead of using some common sense.
No thanks, you can have that world, I want to make a better one, or I'm off to Mars.
Sorry I did write that.
All the trouble happens far from Australia.
I dont know why are people ranting about this. There were 74 children just recently brutally murdered by the local self-appointed authorities, for crimes like they watched football or refused to fast.
Where are the forum posts about that? The outrage? The ranting videos?
Ah right, that wasnt in the USA, or an english speaking country, or Europe, so it really doesnt matter, right?
I dont think I'm the one being paranoid or manipulated by the media.
I'm sorry. Probably I'm not thinking with my brain now.

as someone who live in a country where ppl go to prison when they refuse to fast and eat in public or kiss in public or have "tolerant" oppinion for atheism or homosexuality i can tell you that we outrage about that but locally , i mean you will not see that on CNN.
However i can see what you mean, and it's not about being in us or europe or english speaking country ... i mean all other places are shitty anyway for a reason  :-DD so when you call yourself a free men land having some none freedom friendly event should be taking seriously ... even if i agree with you in the " manipulating media " part

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #280 on: September 17, 2015, 02:47:24 pm »

Disgusting.

In Texas, there are 25 million men, women and children; and 22 million guns. That's not freedom. That's stupidity on a massive scale.

The US can fix its national stupidity by disarming its population.

Both easier said than done.

I happen to live in Texas and personally take offense to your remark.  Texas is rich with culture and diversity, maybe you should check out the facts and actually live here before you make these assumptions. 
Regarding your comment of disarming the US population, how do you plan on disarming the Criminals?  I guess your plan includes arming the Police with billy clubs and radios, right?  How do you plan on dealing with the perp who carries a baseball bat or 2x4 stick of wood or a knife?  I think you need to dig deeper into the problem instead of using the typical "Knee Jerk" reaction that most desire to do when it comes to peoples personal right to protection. 

My 2c worth
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #281 on: September 17, 2015, 02:55:51 pm »
Don't forget Woolrich, England where they had to send for police that had guns! If you are a criminal who wishes to break in to a home at night, are you more or less likely to do it in a state that allows its citizens to actually posses and use firearms?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Lee_Rigby
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #282 on: September 17, 2015, 03:01:56 pm »
That is freedom, and taking responsibility for your own safety.
A disarmed population is a population of subjects or slaves take your pick.
It's freedom to be killed by some psycho idiot. Freedom to be in fear for own life.
I think it was sarcasm.
I hope.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #283 on: September 17, 2015, 03:07:15 pm »
It's freedom to be killed by some psycho idiot. Freedom to be in fear for own life.
You speak as if a gun is the only thing that can kill, now I could be wrong but I suspect a screwdriver or even a tooth brush with a broken handle can be used to kill.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #284 on: September 17, 2015, 03:15:04 pm »

Disgusting.

In Texas, there are 25 million men, women and children; and 22 million guns. That's not freedom. That's stupidity on a massive scale.

I happen to live in Texas and personally take offense to your remark.  Texas is rich with culture and diversity, maybe you should check out the facts and actually live here before you make these assumptions. 
Regarding your comment of disarming the US population, how do you plan on disarming the Criminals?  I guess your plan includes arming the Police with billy clubs and radios, right?  How do you plan on dealing with the perp who carries a baseball bat or 2x4 stick of wood or a knife?  I think you need to dig deeper into the problem instead of using the typical "Knee Jerk" reaction that most desire to do when it comes to peoples personal right to protection. 

My 2c worth
I loved living in San Antonio and Houston, I really didn't want to come back to The People's Republic of Kalifornia, but economics made that decision for me.

One thing I have noticed and sometimes it rears its ugly head on forums is the overwhelming evidence that many things in this universe have no foreseeable limits.
Love and compassion are two of them, So is ignorance and the willingness to live with a closed mind.
I think you and I have seen enough of the latter in this thread to last for the next month.

I actually lived in Texas and know what a wonderful place it is.
I was born and raised in California and know the cesspit of intolerance and ignorance it has become in some places.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #285 on: September 17, 2015, 03:16:56 pm »
I think it was sarcasm.
I hope.

Sometimes it is hard to tell.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #286 on: September 17, 2015, 03:29:21 pm »

Disgusting.

My 2c worth
I loved living in San Antonio and Houston, I really didn't want to come back to The People's Republic of Kalifornia, but economics made that decision for me.

One thing I have noticed and sometimes it rears its ugly head on forums is the overwhelming evidence that many things in this universe have no foreseeable limits.
Love and compassion are two of them, So is ignorance and the willingness to live with a closed mind.
I think you and I have seen enough of the latter in this thread to last for the next month.

I was born and raised in California and know the cesspit of intolerance and ignorance it has become in some places.

I own a small ranch in North Central Texas (South of the Red River 9 miles, North West of D.F.W. ) and I wouldn't trade my partial for any amount of money.  The place is so peaceful and there is simply no better place to relax and unwind for the rigors of a long work week. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:31:02 pm by jlmoon »
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2015, 03:38:15 pm »

Disgusting.

My 2c worth

I own a small ranch in North Central Texas (South of the Red River 9 miles, North West of D.F.W. ) and I wouldn't trade my partial for any amount of money.  The place is so peaceful and sorry there is simply no better place to relax and unwind for the rigors of a long work week.
I loved San Antonio, it reminded me of San Diego back in the 70s, when living out here was still a positive experience. Even better yet where I lived was just east of 1604 in Universal City just on the edge of Baxar county, UC reminded me of Spring Valley where I actually grew up out here. Friendly people, men who opened the door for women, I loved it there.

For those who don't know Texas Joined the US by means of treaty https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_annexation And they can leave at any time, truthfully I don't the US could stop them if they wanted to leave.
Texas is about as American as it gets.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2015, 03:45:35 pm »

highly distorted view, if I may say so.  it does not pass the smell test.

texas is a very one-way kind of state.  to be truly accepted you MUST be:

white
christian
straight (not lgbt)
religious (a believer)

this is pretty well known and to argue against that is to be dishonest.

those things are not required to be successful in california but you will find your mobility VERY limited in texas if you don't meet most (if not all) of that list.

do you seriously and honestly dispute that?

how mobile will someone be (moving up the social or corp ladder) if they are not the things on that list?

texas has major problems.  denying it will not help things.

Offline HP-ILnerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2015, 03:54:28 pm »
An open letter to Ahmed from George Takei (Sulu, on the old Star Trek show for those who don't recognize the name).

Dear Ahmed,

I’ve never met you, and it’s quite possible you’ve never heard of me, but my name is George Takei. I am many decades older than you, but your story and your experience—when you were arrested at your school simply because you brought in a clock for your teacher--struck a chord with me. You see, when I was a bit younger than you, I was also viewed by others as “the enemy” and treated as such, simply because I happened to look like the people who had attacked America.

Like you, I was just a kid trying to find his place in the world. I loved my country, and I looked forward to all the opportunities and challenges ahead. But my childhood was interrupted by fear and ignorance. When the authorities came for you because they believed you had built a bomb, I was reminded, in a way, of when the army came for us. They ordered us out of our home believing we were suspicious people because of our names, our faces, our ancestry. I spent my childhood in an internment camp because of that fear and ignorance.

But I want you to know, while America may have done a terrible thing to me and my family, and to 120,000 other Japanese Americans, I have great hope for this country, and I believe we do learn. There was a Japanese word we often said in the camps: Gaman. It means to keep on keeping on, with dignity and fortitude. I think you understand this word already. While certain school officials and police officers may have shown you the worst side of our nation, I understand many others have since shown you the best side. I was touched to hear you say that we all have to be true to ourselves.

Ahmed, you are now part of the story of America, and many will learn from your fine example. I see great things ahead for you.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »

highly distorted view, if I may say so.  it does not pass the smell test.

texas is a very one-way kind of state.  to be truly accepted you MUST be:

white
christian
straight (not lgbt)
religious (a believer)

this is pretty well known and to argue against that is to be dishonest.

those things are not required to be successful in california but you will find your mobility VERY limited in texas if you don't meet most (if not all) of that list.

do you seriously and honestly dispute that?

how mobile will someone be (moving up the social or corp ladder) if they are not the things on that list?

texas has major problems.  denying it will not help things.
You haven't lived there and most certainly are not well acquainted with Austin, which is as cosmopolitan as San Fransisco. Google Keep Austin Queer.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2015, 04:03:03 pm »
austin is a unique place.  I have been there and its not typical texas.  I will agree with that, no problem at all.

that's the only place in texas that has any glimmer of modern attitude in it.  the rest, well, its all deep, deep red-state mentality.  in fact, texas is the poster child of what red-state politics and attitudes are.

when do you think texas will join the nation in the legalization of medical or recreational pot?  when do you think texas will allow women to decide, for themselves, if they want an abortion or not?  when will texas stop pushing creationism on its students and denying evolution?

texas has a LONG way to go before it joins the modern age.  austin is an oddity in texas; its a shining spot but its far from typical texas attitudes.

Offline warp_foo

• Supporter
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2015, 04:07:38 pm »
like it or not, texas has a rep.

its been there a LONG time and none of us, here, are making shit up.

stop denying it.  this is typical texas attitude.

you can't fix it until you admit you have a problem.  and texas has 'issues'.  lets talk about it and stop denying it.

Wow.

Texas is a massive place with an enormous number of people from every corner of the earth. You are the one that creates this "rep" you write about even though you clearly do not know every person in Texas. You know of the people that make the news which are always the on the fringes of society. This is true anywhere in the world - the weird and crazy make the headlines. In the case of Texas - there are 27 million people which ensures there will be an enormous variety.

Again, those who generalize the way you are is dangerous to the positive progress of society.

It's the 'flyover state' mentality. If you don't live on a coastline, in a major metropolitan area, you are bigoted and racist.  Generally, the next statement is that only the people living in these coastal areas are enlightened enough to enact policies and formulate laws.

m
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2015, 04:09:23 pm »
An open letter to Ahmed from George Takei (Sulu, on the old Star Trek show for those who don't recognize the name).

george is openly gay and that's another thing that texas simply will not accept.  he often writes very insightful posts about current events and politics and he's as insightful as his usual self in that quote you included.  bravo, george!

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2015, 04:10:54 pm »
like it or not, texas has a rep.

its been there a LONG time and none of us, here, are making shit up.

stop denying it.  this is typical texas attitude.

you can't fix it until you admit you have a problem.  and texas has 'issues'.  lets talk about it and stop denying it.

Wow.

Texas is a massive place with an enormous number of people from every corner of the earth. You are the one that creates this "rep" you write about even though you clearly do not know every person in Texas. You know of the people that make the news which are always the on the fringes of society. This is true anywhere in the world - the weird and crazy make the headlines. In the case of Texas - there are 27 million people which ensures there will be an enormous variety.

Again, those who generalize the way you are is dangerous to the positive progress of society.

It's the 'flyover state' mentality. If you don't live on a coastline, in a major metropolitan area, you are bigoted and racist.  Generally, the next statement is that only the people living in these coastal areas are enlightened enough to enact policies and formulate laws.

m
It is sad but that is the kind of bigot you find out here in California.
In reality many of those people who preach that kind of bigotry are trendies chasing after the next shiny object or the next fad to be a part of.

Sue AF6LJ

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2015, 04:11:28 pm »
austin is a unique place.  I have been there and its not typical texas.  I will agree with that, no problem at all.

that's the only place in texas that has any glimmer of modern attitude in it.  the rest, well, its all deep, deep red-state mentality.  in fact, texas is the poster child of what red-state politics and attitudes are.

when do you think texas will join the nation in the legalization of medical or recreational pot?  when do you think texas will allow women to decide, for themselves, if they want an abortion or not?  when will texas stop pushing creationism on its students and denying evolution?

texas has a LONG way to go before it joins the modern age.  austin is an oddity in texas; its a shining spot but its far from typical texas attitudes.

I will not enter into an argument about your views, but I have to say you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when mentions that "the rest, well, its all deep, deep red-state mentality". I have been living in Dallas for the past 10 years (Irving is part of its Metroplex and I was told it is ranked as the 7th most diverse city in US - did not verify) and it is a city like several other cities in the world. Diverse, cosmopolitan and it has its bad and good moments.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #296 on: September 17, 2015, 04:12:32 pm »

george is openly gay and that's another thing that texas simply will not accept.  he often writes very insightful posts about current events and politics and he's as insightful as his usual self in that quote you included.  bravo, george!
I guess you haven't been to Houston or San Antonio ether, both have rather large gay communities.

Yup Flyover attitude infects this one.
Never been outside of Kalifornia
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #297 on: September 17, 2015, 04:12:49 pm »
for the record....that was not my quote.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #298 on: September 17, 2015, 04:17:40 pm »
It's the 'flyover state' mentality. If you don't live on a coastline, in a major metropolitan area, you are bigoted and racist.

there's a reason for it, too.  when there is a lot of people from vastly different countries, languages, belief systems - all entering your state and remaining there for jobs and, later, becoming citizens, the area adapts and slowly includes the immigrant's cultural highlights.

the middle states that typically do NOT have an immigrant influx are stagnant, like standing water.  they don't have constant change, they are not challenged to take on new ideas and accept alternate (even if very different) views.  there is less mixing and more inbreeding in middle states.  this flyover-concept is actually real and we could discuss it, rationally, if you want.  I suspect you don't want to, though.

visit the middle america locales and spend time with the people.  on the surface, you may find politeness but underneath, if you are not like them in very specific ways, you will find lots of limits in how far you can climb, and in some cases, your very life may be in danger.

people who seeks an open-minded local culture do not put up with middle-state style attitudes and so its a feedback system.  no new blood enters the flyover states, they continue to be very homogenious, they have less direct contact with those that are different (so they fear them) and those who are different want no part of living and working in such states.  and so, it stays that way, the flyover states continue to be the same, decade after decade, and only enter the modern age kicking and screaming, if ever at all.

can we discuss this or is this another taboo subject that is like a 'third rail'?

I am in favor of discussing all of this.  sunlight is the best disinfectant, its often said.  the more we bring such issues to light, the sooner we can educate others and bring about change that is sorely needed.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #299 on: September 17, 2015, 04:20:23 pm »
I guess you haven't been to Houston or San Antonio ether, both have rather large gay communities.

Yup Flyover attitude infects this one.
Never been outside of Kalifornia

what is the PREVAILING texas attitude toward gay marriage?  be honest.  don't tell me about 'communities'; every state and country has that.  but what is the official view by the politicians (every one of them) and the voter base, as a whole?

if you are honest, you will admit that, culturally, the religious right OWNS texas and they made it their mission to hate gays, no matter what the rest of the country or the laws actually say.

I really think you are being dishonest here and are not willing to admit the facts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf