Author Topic: Solder Used In High-End Computer PSU's  (Read 4600 times)

Offline StubbornGreekTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Solder Used In High-End Computer PSU's
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:52:07 am »
So I had a Silverstone DA750 power supply on my bench today. In order to pull a single cap, it took the combined heat of my hakko 808 and my pencil iron set to 500c (and it was still challenging).  ???

Anyone here familiar with which type of solder they use it these psu's?
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
Re: Solder Used In High-End Computer PSU's
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:17:57 am »
I doubt it was a solder issue, probably a large ground plane stealing all the heat away.

Or maybe the hole was only 'just' large enough for the component, making it jam in the hole.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:19:28 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:25:29 am »
I doubt it was a solder issue, probably a large ground plane stealing all the heat away.

Or maybe the hole was only 'just' large enough for the component, making it jam in the hole.

The holes were smallish but not too small, the solder simply wouldn't melt, even after adding fresh solder, it took both irons to get any component to budge on that board. Strangest thing, really. I wonder how much copper is in the pcb...
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:48:36 am »
The holes were smallish but not too small, the solder simply wouldn't melt, even after adding fresh solder, it took both irons to get any component to budge on that board. Strangest thing, really. I wonder how much copper is in the pcb...
On high power PCBs, I use 8oz of Cu, 4Top/4Bottom. ONLY our JBC High power iron with a 6-8+mm tip will solder components
effortlessly. Is it as hard to solder as desolder? If so, they most likely use 3+ oz Cu.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Balaur

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:40:30 am »
I personally find that a bigger, shorter tip is crucial in ensuring  good heat flow and thermal stability.

I don't think twice before using my 60W Weller iron or a generous 3-4 mm tip (50W station) on big stuff. Makes a world of difference.

Cheers

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 10:26:41 am »
Grab a 6mm tip and blast off, how else can they provide couple of amps at 12v?

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:45:35 am »
Those old fashioned "soldering gun" irons were excellent at that sort of thing. 200W, instantly.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:46 am »
It's all about the mass, this is my 80 watt iron, it's used for stained glass. I have a 140 watt one as well but it's packed away. Takes about 3 minutes to heat up. The tip is 3/8ths of an inch iron clad.

These things get hot but not that much hotter than a normal iron the real power is in the massive heat transfer capability.

Stained glass a good hobby for anyone involved in electronics, it involves soldering.

...mike 

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 06:45:44 am »
So I had a Silverstone DA750 power supply on my bench today. In order to pull a single cap, it took the combined heat of my hakko 808 and my pencil iron set to 500c (and it was still challenging).  ???

Anyone here familiar with which type of solder they use it these psu's?

This effect is often reported and I've noticed it too.

It's kind of odd because if you add fresh solder to the joint it melts easily, but if you hold the iron to the existing solder it just doesn't want to melt at all. It certainly seems like some kind of high melting point solder is used.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 07:25:27 am »
It's kind of odd because if you add fresh solder to the joint it melts easily, but if you hold the iron to the existing solder it just doesn't want to melt at all.
That's due to heat transfer (or the lack thereof). Old solder is going to have an isulating layer of oxides/dirt/etc., and because it's a solid, and so is the tip of the iron, there little area for heat transfer and it's not very effective. Some molten solder on the iron tip can conform and adhere to the surface of the existing solder, greatly increasing heat transfer.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 07:53:42 am »
It's kind of odd because if you add fresh solder to the joint it melts easily, but if you hold the iron to the existing solder it just doesn't want to melt at all. It certainly seems like some kind of high melting point solder is used.
That could also be due to the original solder being leadfree, which has a higher melting point. Flooding a leadfree joint with leaded can make rework a lot easier.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »
I'll tell you, that took some work... It took tons of fresh solder, not to mention that I warmed the board to boot. The combination of small through holes, high temp (and I'm pretty confident, lead-free) solder and lots of copper in the pcb made this thing harder to de-solder (heat-wise obviously not size) than just about anything I've worked on before.

I would really be interested to know the specific type of solder used.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 11:11:40 am »
I think the problem is due to lead free solder, the tin absorbs a large amount of copper over time and with heat and the solder turn to a form of bronze. I have the problem with power sockets on laptops not even my 240 watt iron will melt the solder I have ended up cutting the sockets off and drilling the remains out.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 04:11:07 pm »
Basically it's a pain in the arse.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf