Author Topic: 3D-Printing  (Read 15629 times)

Offline mamalalaTopic starter

• Supporter
3D-Printing
« on: February 11, 2016, 03:41:22 am »
I'm wondering...

Can we have a section dedicated to 3D printing here? I mean, we have renewables, thermal imaging... 3D printing is a thing, actually, so why not having a sub section on this forum for it?

Greetings,

Chris

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
Re: 3D-Printing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 10:09:51 am »
Very interested here.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 04:59:42 pm »
Why only concentrate on CNC additive manufacturing, when several CNC manufacturing techniques coexist, and all have their place in the industry?
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:24:43 pm »
I agree with Galenbo. If you're going to have a section it might as well be a bit broader and encompass various CNC techniques. Let's be honest there are plenty of specific places for CNC and 3D printing anyway.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:56:34 pm »
No real objections from me.
Moved this thread to general chat to get more comments.

Offline Morgoroth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 11:03:39 pm »
what about CNC and 3D models for PCBs ?, must be something to say in that matter specifically, PCB routing, boxes, supports, best practices, etc etc... and not much to see on youtube
----------------------------------------------------------
If works, doesn't means it is right.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 02:34:17 am »
"CNC - 3D printing, milling and more"

:-+

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:56:29 am »
Mechanical forum?

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 08:09:24 am »
Can we have a political/religious sub-forum too?  A place for people that like to talk(argue) about such?  It works well for another forum I'm on.  All the people that are into that, can get their fill there - rather then dumping it into EE topics.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:20:32 am »
Indeed.  The difficulty in sub-boards is defining the area of interest so that it is distinct, big enough to be busy but small enough to not get lost in.

My vote is for CNC level.  That covers a lot of similar technology.

"CNC - 3D printing, milling and more"

:-+

Offline manzini

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 12:28:58 pm »
Another vote for 3D additive / CNC section: DIY, brands/products, services & experiences.

maybe into o a little cross with the current PCB section but including enclosures and accessories.

Offline Artlav

• Frequent Contributor
    • Orbital Designs
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 03:29:20 pm »
+1 for the section.
Name... Something to the effect of "DIY automated manufacturing (CNC, 3D printing, etc)", perhaps?

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 04:33:19 pm »
I prefer CNC subractive manufacturing, old school. Good 3D printers can do sintered metals, a wide range of plastics but that is professional printers. Home and hobby printers that essentially dribble hot snot everywhere are a waste of time and money.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 04:50:33 pm »
As for the religious sub forum it's just not going to work is it, just be a bunch of narrow minded bigots posting bull shit, same as the free energy stupid uneducated posters who can't think, period. Does this forum really want a bunch of stupid bigots posting bull shgit. NO.

Offline Morgoroth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2016, 05:09:44 pm »
+1 for the section.
Name... Something to the effect of "DIY automated manufacturing (CNC, 3D printing, etc)", perhaps?

I always wanted to know if there is a difference using ball screws and belts, in terms of repeatability, and if worth to buy ball screws for precise milling, given the price...
----------------------------------------------------------
If works, doesn't means it is right.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2016, 05:54:38 pm »
 Too many sub boards makes a moderator nightmare - someone posts in the wrong section, it gets missed, which results in the inevitable dozen followup posts of "this is the wrong section, you moron"

Though I do wholly support a 3D printing subsection - maybe encompassing related things rather than being absolutely 3D printers only - like laser cutters and the such, all of which have applications in and of electronics design.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2016, 10:22:33 pm »
Mechanical forum?

That's an excellent scope for all the mechanical aspects, including 3D printing, and yet it has an engineering connotation.

I read the forums using the list of all new posts but have a dedicated forum is in a sense and invitation or a permission to discuss that topic.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 04:29:16 am »
I'd love to see a mechanical section, a mechatronics section, or a general manufacturing section. I'm actually a ME by degree and work, but enjoy electronics too. I'm sure a lot of others as well.  And really like the intersections between fields... lots of interesting stuff happens

Offline AlessandroAU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 10:40:27 pm »
I prefer CNC subractive manufacturing, old school. Good 3D printers can do sintered metals, a wide range of plastics but that is professional printers. Home and hobby printers that essentially dribble hot snot everywhere are a waste of time and money.

I don't know what you consider to be acceptable quality but these are the results I get from my hobby printer. I think it's quite acceptable, Most of the parts printed are mechanical upgrades for the printer itself.

Offline ANTALIFE

• Frequent Contributor
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    • Muh Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 01:39:20 am »
Wow there grampa, don't get too cranky. I have a 12" Prusa i3v printer and have to say it's one of the best investments I've ever made. But different strokes for different folks I guess...  :-DMM

I don't know what you consider to be acceptable quality but these are the results I get from my hobby printer. I think it's quite acceptable, Most of the parts printed are mechanical upgrades for the printer itself.

Looking good, that's about where my quality hangs. I've seen some super impressive prints on /r/3dprinting but the amount of time you would need to spend on calibrations just seems too much for me in terms of investment vs return.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 08:06:45 am »
Wow there grampa, don't get too cranky. I have a 12" Prusa i3v printer and have to say it's one of the best investments I've ever made. But different strokes for different folks I guess...  :-DMM
What's the sellable non-artistical non-decoration-only usable product you produced with it?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:08:43 am by Galenbo »
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 08:25:26 am »
i want a forum where we can spam relentlessly. why? because chan image boards are fucking stupid and i enjoy spamming real forums.

Offline NilByMouth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:48 am »
What's the sellable non-artistical non-decoration-only usable product you produced with it?

I printed feet for my vintage oscilloscope (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1336064). I also printed a small electronics enclosure, which I can mod by adding holes of exactly the right dimensions without having to pay hundreds of pounds for the punches (e.g. BNC sockets).

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 08:52:47 am »
I printed feet for my vintage oscilloscope... I also printed a small electronics enclosure, which I can mod by adding holes of exactly the right dimensions without having to pay hundreds of pounds for the punches (e.g. BNC sockets).
Hmm, plastic replicas of an existing elastomer massproduct, and a thermoplastic electronics enclosure that gives a solution for who refuses to buy a drill.
I don't doubt you had fun with it, transferring the model in the software etcetera, but it still fully complies to the description I gave.

Try to produce a product outside the description, and you WILL be forced to get into that "Wow there grampa, don't get too cranky" range of computerised manufacuring methods.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:55:38 am by Galenbo »

Offline Philfreeze

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 09:35:06 am »
Hmm, plastic replicas of an existing elastomer massproduct, and a thermoplastic electronics enclosure that gives a solution for who refuses to buy a drill.
I don't doubt you had fun with it, transferring the model in the software etcetera, but it still fully complies to the description I gave.

Try to produce a product outside the description, and you WILL be forced to get into that "Wow there grampa, don't get too cranky" range of computerised manufacuring methods.

Maybe the " thermoplastic electronics enclosure" (btw. this sounds really fancy) he wanted isn't produced in the same size. Should he buy a block of wood/plastic/alluminium and make the case from this block? This would take a lot of experience and equipment to do it right.

As for me, I printed multiple replacement parts for old gameboys, consoles and other electronic cases for free. This was done in a repair shop financed by the local university.
Everything worked perfect as long as you are able to use sandpaper and aceton to smooth things out really nicely.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf