Author Topic: 3-D metal printing  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: 3-D metal printing
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:02:36 pm »
Is this how they make parts for guns or is it another method?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 12:38:12 pm »
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 01:45:30 pm »

There are certain parts of guns that can be made by 3D printing.  The barrel is not one of them, but that is just a metal cylinder anyway.  Some of the more complicated and essential parts - such as the receiver - can be printed ... not just by this machine, but by any 3D printer that can do ABS.  That's getting scary.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 05:36:37 pm »
OK, thanks. I should point out that I don't do guns or anything else that goes bang on purpose so if any three-letter agencies are getting worried there's no need.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:41:34 pm »
OK, thanks. I should point out that I don't do guns or anything else that goes bang on purpose so if any three-letter agencies are getting worried there's no need.

Guns exist before electricity was available. All you need are some hand tools and a plan.

Having one is very easy, buy a nail pistol for woodworkers and block the security at the head.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 10:52:22 pm »

There are certain parts of guns that can be made by 3D printing.  The barrel is not one of them, but that is just a metal cylinder anyway.  Some of the more complicated and essential parts - such as the receiver - can be printed ... not just by this machine, but by any 3D printer that can do ABS.  That's getting scary.
Are you aware of the gas pressures involved during discharge ?? , are you game enough to hold a "receiver" made of 3D printed ABS containing that pressure ?.
And on the face of it a barrel may appear to be just a cylinder but there is also more required balistically speaking.

edit : spelling typo
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:28:36 am by lowimpedance »
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 01:24:55 am »

Are you aware of the gas pressures involved during discharge ?? , are you game enough to hold a "receiver" made of 3D printed ABS containing that pressure ?.
And on the face of it a barrel may appear to be just a cylinder but there is also more required balsitically speaking.

I made no comment about the safety and longevity of 3D printed parts - nor of the effectiveness of a simple barrel.  The fact is, there are designs out there that could produce a lethal weapon.  Possibly including an unintentional suicide - but still.

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 01:42:43 am »

And on the face of it a barrel may appear to be just a cylinder but there is also more required balsitically speaking.

I made no comment about the safety and longevity of 3D printed parts - nor of the effectiveness of a simple barrel.  The fact is, there are designs out there that could produce a lethal weapon.  Possibly including an unintentional suicide - but still.
There are many other means and ways to produce all sorts of 'lethal weapons', the 3d printed weapon idea has been overblown by the media to the point that when 3d printing is mentioned an inevitable reponse (as seen above)will be ... "oh you can print a gun" usually pops up.

The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 02:45:06 am »
Probably the biggest 'lethal weapon' for anyone interested in such pursuits is - just enough knowledge to do something stupid.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 03:55:11 am »
Probably the biggest 'lethal weapon' for anyone interested in such pursuits is - just enough knowledge to do something stupid.

A box of matches in the hands of a "firebug",or a casually discarded cigarette.

Back on topic:-
I'm very dubious about how useful in a direct sense 3D metal printing is.

The idea of heating steel dust with a laser doesn't instil a lot of confidence in me,as far as strucftural integrity is concerned.
If you can control something like the "metal spray" devices they used to rebuilt worn out crankcase journals back in the '50s,you might get results similar to cast or forged parts.
Of course,even those required a solid,if worn,metal part to rebuild.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf