Author Topic: engineeringly complex problem: how to put this bike wheelset on the plane?!?  (Read 1755 times)

Offline DiTBhoTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Evoc is amazing!!!  :o :o :o
(higher quality, but too expensive, anyway)
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
if you can afford the cost of today's air travel you can afford a compact folding bike.
otherwise if the migration by air is an annual activity. maybe plan to have a second bike for the other location.
maybe have a friend be responsible for it when you not there.  have two bikes for all seasons.

Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

• Super Contributor
Quote from: jonovid
Compact folding bike

Compact folding bicycles are suitable for small urban travel.
To save money, I won't get an apartment in the center, but very far outside.
I definitely would never want to cycle for more than 90km/day on one of those bikes  :o :o :o

Quote from: jonovid
migration by air is an annual activity

In the last two years, 2022-2023, I traveled by plane ~20 times, by I took my bicycle with me only half times, most never to the same destination, with a few exceptions, and most of the time I had my bicycle with me to cycle in warm places, such as spain, portugal, greece, northern italy, ...

I've also been to Japan twice, but only brought the bike once. The funny thing is that I had to rent a mini apartment, and I also had to rent a mini garage to put the bike in because keeping it inside limited the little space available too much. The dude who rented the apartment to me knew this perfectly, in fact he immediately offered the mini box for additional money. Not bad, in the end.

I miss Norway and almost all the Scandinavian countries from the list, because if I have been there, I didn't bring the bike with me, with the promise "next time ...". So, after a year of thinkening and improvments, this time I would like to take the opportunity to try and bring a bit of English technology to the scene (Sturmey Archer, on both hubs), and, among other things, while everyone is fitting hydraulic disc brakes on their carbon super bikes, I'm modifying a drum brake on a 1995 Titanium classic frame built in Birmingham  :D
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
reinventing the bicycle wheel.
the knock-down or ready-to-assemble fibreglass pizza wheel designed for a bicycle.
that requires time-consuming assembly with a hex screwdriver.
a pizza slice type 700c wheel made up of 8 solid curved aluminium rim segments with 8 fibreglass inside panels.
the use of curved aluminium tongue & groove ends for the 8 outer fit together rim segments.
the hub will fit together with machined metal flanges on to the 8 rim & fibreglass panel segments by hex head bolts.
then the use of use a folding bike tire. 
 the wheel disc structure stiffness will be at the cost of added weight. so wheel alignment is necessary
with wheel laser alignment tool as part of the kit. packing shim spacers on to the rim were needed.
anyone with CAD can have fun reinventing the bicycle wheel.

if you need some art I can add that later
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Coordonnée_chromatique

• Regular Contributor
Titanium classic frame built in Birmingham :D

I've tested a lot of frames but no titanium, could you say what is your feeling with the geometry and the frame material ?

• Super Contributor
could you say what is your feeling with the geometry and the frame material ?

Mine is a classic 80s geometry made with grade 9 titanium tubing.

Right after the first 50km you feel it rides smooth and more comfortable than a steel frame from the early 90s, however, compared to my 1996 Moser Forma, steel, this time, but with same classic geometry, wheels, saddle and size, both perform in the same way, and both have a 10mm lower center of gravity than other frames, making the ride slightly more stable, and it feels like riding velvet, with a bike that "speaks" to you, makes you understand well before a curve, how you need to set it up to keep the trajectory as fluid as possible.

Many people think of titanium as a very comfortable bike, but I feel like that's especially the case because they use 30-40 year old steel frames.

Steel has evolved positively! Nivacrom steel is a fantastic alloy! Titanium hasn't evolved that much and also depends a lot on the design and construction of the frame, not just the material.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf